PDA

View Full Version : My brush with fame...

8timechamps
12/5/2008, 10:48 AM
I'm watching the game last night, and as usual, they keep showing the Griffin's (parents). I've thought for a long time that Mr. Griffin looked familiar.

Then it happened, the commentator starts talking about "Coach" Griffin and where he has coached. He mentioned the state title he won while coaching at John Marshall High School.

BAM! It hit me. Coach Griffin was one of my teachers in High School. It was my senior year when he got there. I don't remember a lot about him, other than he's a big dude, with a very quiet demeanor.

Of course, I don't have any connection with him other than that, and I don't have any connection with his superstar son. In fact, he probably wouldn't remember me if I was sitting next to him.

But, it was pretty cool to tell my sons that I was in a class that he taught.

Pretty weak overall...but kinda cool for me.

1890MilesToNorman
12/5/2008, 10:56 AM
Not worth a whole 15 minutes of fame but maybe 2 or 3! :D

A long time ago I went to a party in NW OKC, nothing special, I walk in and sat in a chair and straight across the room was this giant of a man. After about 15 minutes I found out it was Tony Cassius. I talked to him for a few minutes over the next hour or so and he seemed like a decent guy. That was my brush with Sooner greatness.

8timechamps
12/5/2008, 11:06 AM
Well, I had him for an entire semester, so that may be worth 4 or 5 minutes.

If only I had known who his offspring was going to be...

Jeopardude
12/5/2008, 02:46 PM

A long time ago I went to a party in NW OKC, nothing special, I walk in and sat in a chair and straight across the room was this giant of a man. After about 15 minutes I found out it was Tony Cassius. I talked to him for a few minutes over the next hour or so and he seemed like a decent guy. That was my brush with Sooner greatness.

Do you mean Tony Casillas?

King Crimson
12/5/2008, 02:53 PM
I'm watching the game last night, and as usual, they keep showing the Griffin's (parents). I've thought for a long time that Mr. Griffin looked familiar.

Then it happened, the commentator starts talking about "Coach" Griffin and where he has coached. He mentioned the state title he won while coaching at John Marshall High School.

BAM! It hit me. Coach Griffin was one of my teachers in High School. It was my senior year when he got there. I don't remember a lot about him, other than he's a big dude, with a very quiet demeanor.

Of course, I don't have any connection with him other than that, and I don't have any connection with his superstar son. In fact, he probably wouldn't remember me if I was sitting next to him.

But, it was pretty cool to tell my sons that I was in a class that he taught.

Pretty weak overall...but kinda cool for me.

my pops used to play in the OKC area "A" pick up games up trough his 30's with Tommy G. pops can really shoot the rock and was 2nd team 2A all-state at Perry...and he says Tommy Griffin was a serious baller and a real bad-***.

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/5/2008, 03:48 PM
Do you mean Tony Casillas?

No, fool! Tony Cassius. He conspired with Chuck Brutus to kill Jim Caesar. ;)

AllAboutThe'O'
12/6/2008, 12:49 AM

I met Casillas over a decade ago when I was working in Texas. He was in town to promote a special type of laser eye surgery and I got to chat with him for a few minutes. Agreed, pretty nice guy.

Hella Sideburns
12/6/2008, 02:19 PM
The elder Griffin looks like Bunny Colvin from The Wire to me