PDA

View Full Version : 04's Attempt: OU vs. Southern California Recap

Sooner04
12/5/2008, 10:07 AM
Remember the old song that was a hit for Dionne Warwick, Message to Michael? Well, I do, even if nobody else does. In the song, Dionne's trying to get a message to her old flame who's left town, changed his name, and moved to New Orleans in search of musical flame. She wants him to come home.

My love is OU Basketball, and I'm trying to get a message to my boys. The message is clear; you're a good basketball team, now start playing like it.

Now, I've heard the rumblings. Guys are sick, guys are hurt. Good points all, but you should still hustle. We looked so lackadaisacal last night. I watched bits and pieces of the game and turned it off during moments of rage. What was incredible is how bad the Sooners looked while I watched and how many points they scored when I was away. I went to take a dump at 7-0 and I come back to 14-14 in only about three minutes of game time. It was like that all night long.

This team lacks that killer instinct for some reason. I can hear you now, "But 04, you rube, we're 7-0! How can we lack killer instinct when we've yet to lose?" In my estimation, we're good enough to get teams backpedaling, but we're not good enough to knock them out. We're Willie Pep when we need to be Marvin Hagler.

It's hard to bitch about 7-0, so I'm not going to do it. I've heard Capel speak several times about how good this team will be when they play up to their capability. We're 7-0, and we're a long way from that point. Look out, Big 12 Conference.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st - 22 [Overture, curtain, lights. This is it, the night of nights.]
2nd - 20 [And oh what heights we'll hit.]
3rd - 16 [Hacking baboon.]
4th - 15 [Sorority girl, passed out in the bushes at Cate Center.]

LEADING SCORERS:
25 - Blake Griffin: And he had an off night. 25 and 6 for an off night. Tough grader, I am.
17 - Austin Johnson: Welcome to the party.
10 - Taylor Griffin: Gets his ten, one way or another.

LEADING REBOUNDERS:
9 - Taylor Griffin: Keeps Blake from going seven for seven in this category.
6 - Blake Griffin: REALLY off night here. 13 under his nation-leading average.
3 - Cade Davis and Austin Johnson

PLUSES:
1. Cream - I say this with an unblemished record of staunch heterosexuality; those uniforms were fabulous. FABULOUS! An alternative uniform of cream for the school that calls itself the crimson and cream. GORGEOUS! And then, to top it off, they go ahead and put 'Sooners' underneath the number in ode to the fantastic uniforms of '88 and '89. I'll be honest, when I saw the uniforms on the tube I needed oxygen. I was getting vehklempt.

2. Austin Johnson - We ran the risk of being run out of our own building until AJ decided that he was a senior and he shant be the one to allow such a thing. I didn't see it live, as I mentioned earlier, I was a little ticked so I went and took a dump, but this guy saved us. From 9-0 to 14-14 in about three minutes with 11 of those points belonging to Austin. I don't think we win without that stretch. I really don't.

3. The Griffin Brothers - 35 points and 15 points between the two is solid for them. We've seen them do better, but you know what impressed me? 13 of 18 from the line, and it probably would've been better had Blake not had to shoot two after getting fisted in the junk. Oi.

MINUSES:
1. The Men of Troy - Those bastards were dirty.

2. Tony Crocker - His theme song just came on the radio: Nowhere Man. Cade Davis is eating this dude's minutes. Maybe it's those horrid sleeves.

3. Finishing Games - I can't take many more of these nailbiters. My blood pressure's got to be through the roof. We're winning, but we should be winning by more. It seems like we make enough mistakes at the end of games to keep teams around. Missing free throws against Purdue, a boneheaded travel against the TroJANS. That crap gets you beat.

4. Depth - I still don't think we have any. Our top 6 played all but 13 minutes. I'm afraid we're going to be gassed before long. Either that or we're in ridiculously good shape.

5. Outside Shooting - [clang!] [oompf!] [doink!] [clunk!] We're starting to sound like the old Adam West Batman show with the noise our bricks are making from behind the arc. 7-21, and a lot of them were open looks. Several of them could've been the dagger. Must get better, but I'm afraid it's a trend.

6. Willie Warren - Freshman game. He'll be fine.

7. Hustle - Outrebounded by a large margin. Outhustled in our own gym. On the road or at a neutral site, we not only lose, we get hammered.

Got a big game coming up Sunday. Word is the BOK Center is pretty close to sold out, but I don't know how hostile the environment will be. It's a new gym, so the place will be an odd shooting environment for us. You never know how that's going to play out. Tulsa's not bad, but we should drill them. Capel's got me confident of big things down the road, but OU BBall has a history of yakking all over themselves in games like this. Maybe that's the part of me talking that was burned by Kelvin on stuff like this.

It's a new era, and I've got to stop holding onto past heartbreak. I say we give them the TCU treatment from last year and stomp a mudhole through the Golden Bugles.

Onward to Tulsa.

Thank you for your time.

Boomer.....
12/5/2008, 10:21 AM
Sums it up well.

I thought Cade was taking too many fast break 3's especially since he went 1 for 6. AJ played very good. Hopefully this will bring him out of his funk.

8timechamps
12/5/2008, 10:42 AM
After watching Duke dismantle the Boilermakers (at their place), I had excused our "less-than'pretty' win" over them as a good performance at the Garden (and everybody knows how tough it is to play at the Garden).

But, I am going to agree with you B. Last night made me realize, for as much talent as we have on the floor, we just don't have the 'step on their throats' mentallity.....YET.

I think it's going to happen. And maybe it's a good thing that we aren't playing up to our potential this early on...although, I've never liked the "their peaking at the right time" saying.

After seeing Texas play a much better UCLA team, we've got to come together and fix some holes if we are going to win the conference title.

I still think we will.

NormanPride
12/5/2008, 11:38 AM
We never got in sync, and you could tell the guys were just out of it a bit. Part of that was a really tall and athletic USC team playing pretty good D, and part of it was the fact that we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. What is with our shooters? It's to the point where if it continues, you'll never see them hit this year. Their confidence will be so shot, they'll never get it back.

I was also sad to see that we didn't try different matchups. Crocker got in foul trouble pretty early and our offense faded away. He may not do much, but he moves the ball better than Cade and moves WITH the ball better than Cade as well. I want to see more of Gamma Ray.

I'm not sold on this team, really. I think they're good. Top 20-Top15 good. But we're not on the upper level with this guard play. We'll get killed by Texas and OSU if we don't start shooting people off of Blake and Taylor.

Boomer.....
12/5/2008, 11:47 AM
Texas maybe but definitely not OSU. They have been looking very poor lately.

birddog
12/5/2008, 11:49 AM
We never got in sync, and you could tell the guys were just out of it a bit. Part of that was a really tall and athletic USC team playing pretty good D, and part of it was the fact that we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. What is with our shooters? It's to the point where if it continues, you'll never see them hit this year. Their confidence will be so shot, they'll never get it back.

I was also sad to see that we didn't try different matchups. Crocker got in foul trouble pretty early and our offense faded away. He may not do much, but he moves the ball better than Cade and moves WITH the ball better than Cade as well. I want to see more of Gamma Ray.

I'm not sold on this team, really. I think they're good. Top 20-Top15 good. But we're not on the upper level with this guard play. We'll get killed by Texas and OSU if we don't start shooting people off of Blake and Taylor.

yep, we'll start looking exactly like last years Sooner women. but i'm not going to be too concerned yet because usc has really long and athletic players (think anti-eaton) and just about every guard will have trouble against them.

yes, we are not at the upper-level yet. this team would still lose to louisville.

TopDawg
12/5/2008, 11:59 AM
Wow. I was surprised to see Taylor got his 10. He was scoreless well into the 2nd half. I guess he turned it on late without me noticing.

I loved the unis.

Willie is fast.

You're right: we don't win the game without Austin's start. Just as impressive as his threes was the reverse layup he made. But by that same token, we DO blow out the Trojans if they hadn't been unconscious from distance. They were over 70% from behind the arc, right?

This team wins. They can play sloppy and win. They can play poor defense and win. They can miss all their threes while the other team hits all of theirs and win. They get it done. They could go undefeated with a cumulative margin of victory of 40.

But for me, the thing I noticed most last night was Capel's ability to adjust. I love that guy. Switching up our defenses to keep them from knocking down those wide-open jumpers on a little screen curl. Running some offensive sets to give Blake a better shot at getting to the basket before the double team or having Taylor in a better spot to attack if the double team reaches Blake. It was fun. Tim Floyd's no slouch either. It was a fun chess match to watch last night.

NormanPride
12/5/2008, 12:03 PM
We are the 2002 Ohio State football team right now. :D

Sooner04
12/5/2008, 12:19 PM
Tim Floyd's no slouch either.
That guy had some good teams at Iowa State, and left behind some monster talent for Eustachy. I think he left right about the time Fizer and Tinsley showed up. He took Iowa State to the Sweet 16 in '97 with Dedric Willoughby. REALLY good teams, and they always played tough.

When he got back to college coaching, I was very pleased he was far away from our conference.

NormanPride
12/5/2008, 12:35 PM
He's still a d-bag though.

badger
12/5/2008, 01:21 PM
LOVE the uniforms. They need to do that more often (although someone needs to tell our under armour sleeve wearer that white kind of clashes with cream)

Well, at least they had matching sweat bands... even if a certain player wore his too high :P

I like winning, but the last few seconds were kind of edgy. If they had won after the cheap shots on Blake I think we'd have further reason to hate SC :mad:

KC//CRIMSON
12/5/2008, 02:02 PM
5. Outside Shooting - [clang!] [oompf!] [doink!] [clunk!] We're starting to sound like the old Adam West Batman show with the noise our bricks are making from behind the arc. 7-21, and a lot of them were open looks. Several of them could've been the dagger. Must get better, but I'm afraid it's a trend.

At this point I would take someone/anyone who could hit a jump shot on a continuous basis.

One other note from last night: Wayman Tisdale is the epitome of the word Warrior.

NormanPride
12/5/2008, 02:09 PM
I wonder if we could use the mid-range jumper to our advantage. I get the feeling our guys can hit closer stuff no problem, but the three is some mystical obstacle only the chosen one can overcome.

King Crimson
12/5/2008, 02:34 PM
That guy had some good teams at Iowa State, and left behind some monster talent for Eustachy. I think he left right about the time Fizer and Tinsley showed up. He took Iowa State to the Sweet 16 in '97 with Dedric Willoughby. REALLY good teams, and they always played tough.

When he got back to college coaching, I was very pleased he was far away from our conference.

Tinsley was a JUCO brought in by Eustachy.

TexasEx4OU
12/5/2008, 02:50 PM
One of the weird things about the game was that it seemed as if the Leonard Washington cheap shot on Blake (and subsequent ejection) had more of a detrimental effect on us than on SC. It's like it got in our heads or something. After is was all hashed out, Blake is standing at the line, alone, to shoot two for a ten point lead. He misses both, and SC goes on a run.

I kept thinking, "why are we the ones that got rattled by all of that?"

Hella Sideburns
12/5/2008, 03:51 PM
i know this is probably not the popular sentiment, but i thought willie's high headband was awesome

OUSKINS
12/5/2008, 03:57 PM
My reaction from inside the LNC last night?

I think the team coasted pretty much from start to finish. Definitely seemed to be some sort of lag from the NIT games in NYC. Blake especially didn't seem to be "going balls out" night (maybe it's because someone tried to take his balls out?)

Anyway, for the most part, we went through the motions-- here's one thing I liked--- we answered every time USC looked like they were REALLY going to take over. Each time I started getting legitimately nervous, we'd either make a shot or get a stop.

It's kind of like OU knew they could mess around a bit and still win the game. It was an "arrogant" effort, IMO. That kind of effort will eventually get you toasted....but the fact that it didn't last night is a decent testament to our team.

People will say, "if we play like that in Austin or in the Tourney, we'll get burned." Yes, we will. But we WON'T play like that in those situations. Players, coaches, etc.. are all human. USC came into the game with a disappointing record and it took a little bit of the pregame buzz out of this match-up.

I think even when we're doing all the right things, we're still going to play in some pretty close games-- we simply don't have the shooters to just blow good teams out of the water. But our inside game and ability to score in bursts should keep us in every game with even the very best teams in the country. And we've already shown in several games this year that we can finish if it's close late.

Last night was a "ho-hum" win to be sure. But it sure as heck beats a "ho-hum" loss.

oumartin
12/5/2008, 09:30 PM
we better enjoy Capel why is he still here. after this year or next he is gone

birddog
12/7/2008, 01:47 AM
we better enjoy Capel why is he still here. after this year or next he is gone

who knows? there's got to be a better job that opens up and i know he loves being a part of the Sooner family.

what are the potential programs that will be looking for a coach?

Sooner_75
12/7/2008, 10:47 PM
Maryland and Arizona might open.