PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...America ends her silly alcohol abstinence experiment

Okla-homey
12/5/2008, 07:10 AM
December 5, 1933: Prohibition ends

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7537/amdassetuploadfile99812kw9.jpg

75 years ago today, the 21st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is ratified, repealing the 18th Amendment and bringing an end to the era of national prohibition of alcohol in America. At 5:32 p.m. EST, Utah became the 36th state to ratify the amendment, achieving the requisite three-fourths majority of states' approval. Pennsylvania and Ohio had ratified it earlier in the day.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6919/amdprohibitionsx3.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6346/amd21stamendmentux5.jpg

The movement for the prohibition of alcohol began in the early 19th century, when American women concerned about the adverse effects of drinking began forming temperance societies.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2729/amdprohibitiontileco0.jpg

By the late 19th century, these groups had become a powerful political force, campaigning on the state level and calling for national liquor abstinence. Their power increased exponentialy when women won the vote by passage of the Nineteenth Amendment in 1919.

Several states had outlawed the manufacture or sale of alcohol within their own borders. In December 1917, the 18th Amendment, prohibiting the "manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes," was passed by Congress and sent to the states for ratification. On January 29, 1919, the 18th Amendment achieved the necessary three-fourths majority of state ratification. Prohibition essentially began in June of that year, but the amendment did not officially take effect until January 29, 1920.

In the meantime, Congress passed the Volstead Act on October 28, 1919, over President Woodrow Wilson's veto. The Volstead Act provided for the enforcement of Prohibition, including the creation of a special Prohibition unit of the Treasury Department.

In its first six months, the unit destroyed thousands of illicit stills run by bootleggers. However, federal agents and police did little more than slow the flow of booze, and organized crime flourished in America. Large-scale bootleggers like Al Capone of Chicago built criminal empires out of illegal distribution efforts, and federal and state governments lost billions in tax revenue. In most urban areas, the individual consumption of alcohol was largely tolerated and drinkers gathered at "speakeasies," the Prohibition-era term for saloons.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7615/amdbuzzrepealts7.jpg

Prohibition, failing fully to enforce sobriety and costing billions, rapidly lost popular support in the early 1930s. In 1933, the 21st Amendment to the Constitution was passed and ratified, ending national Prohibition. After the repeal of the 18th Amendment, some states continued Prohibition by maintaining statewide temperance laws.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1686/64798871mg0.png

Mississippi, the last dry state in the Union, ended Prohibition in 1966. It must be said however, even though Mississippi was technically "dry" until 1966, it was as dry as a dry martini. In the same region and among the last states to go "wet", the annual college football game between the then "dry" states of Georgia and UF became known as the "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" in the 1950's.

For what it's worth, the work of eliminating inneffective and silly restrictions on the sale of alcohol is not over. For one thing, we need to give 18 y/o's back the right to buy alcohol. They are either legal adults or they're not for crying out loud. If they are old enough to vote, get married, buy a house, and serve their country in combat, why on earth do we continue to say they can't buy a beer? Heck, we let kids younger than 18 legally drive a car! I think we should flip it. Let 18's y/o's drink, but raise the driving age to 21. Moreover, many experts agree that allowing 18 y/os to buy and consume alocohol legally would very likely reduce dangerous binge drinking on college campuses.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6133/insane7zolh2.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
12/5/2008, 07:27 AM
Yippee! I'll drink to that!

TUSooner
12/5/2008, 10:59 AM
The Prohibition Party had a presidential candidate on the ballot in the last election, at least in Louisiana, the most un-Prohibitionist state evar.

1890MilesToNorman
12/5/2008, 11:03 AM
The day Joe Kennedy Sr. cried! Good thing his kids had a taste for the hooch. :P

shaun4411
12/5/2008, 12:03 PM
well, it sure helped all the unemployed get through the depression.

Okla-homey
12/5/2008, 07:16 PM
The 75th anniversary of the repeal of prohibition and the eve of OUr newest conference championship oughtta have at least inspired a Drunkytown thread. What's wrong with you people?

SanJoaquinSooner
12/5/2008, 07:17 PM
Oklahoma's legal prohibition, however, didn't end until the 50s.

IBleedCrimson
12/5/2008, 07:36 PM
The day Joe Kennedy Sr. cried! Good thing his kids had a taste for the hooch. :P

I always thought it was hilarious one of the most powerful political families in american history was founded and funded in aid with the mafia running liquor from Canada, illegally. It's a fact I always bring up with my ultraliberal friends whenever they get too holier than thou. :)

SanJoaquinSooner
12/6/2008, 12:08 AM
After the 21st amendment was ratified, it was the states' job to decide if a state prohibition was necessary. Most states got rid of state prohibitions, but Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma kept their prohibition laws in place the longest. Kansas ended statewide prohibition in 1948, whereas Oklahoma ended theirs in 1959. The longest state prohibition was Missouri, who ended state prohibition in 1966, almost 35 years after National Prohibition was repealed.

olevetonahill
12/6/2008, 12:13 AM
After the 21st amendment was ratified, it was the states' job to decide if a state prohibition was necessary. Most states got rid of state prohibitions, but Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma kept their prohibition laws in place the longest. Kansas ended statewide prohibition in 1948, whereas Oklahoma ended theirs in 1959. The longest state prohibition was Missouri, who ended state prohibition in 1966, almost 35 years after National Prohibition was repealed.

Its still not over
No beer in excess of 3.2 sold Cold . No Buying Drinks In a Lot of Counties .:mad:

tommieharris91
12/6/2008, 01:31 AM
well, it sure helped all the unemployed get through the depression.

Hey man, it takes manpower to mass-produce tasty alcoholic beverages. :D

olevetonahill
12/6/2008, 01:34 AM
Hey man, it takes manpower to mass-produce tasty alcoholic beverages. :D

Naw jest a Lil corn , sugar , Yeast and water :D

tommieharris91
12/6/2008, 01:45 AM
Naw jest a Lil corn , sugar , Yeast and water :D

But you don't mass-produce. :(

olevetonahill
12/6/2008, 01:55 AM
But you don't mass-produce. :(

Tru dat , I go for Quality over quantity :pop:

Jerk
12/7/2008, 10:45 AM
The word's worst ideas come from busybody women.

Jacie
12/8/2008, 07:19 AM
Oklahoma's legal prohibition, however, didn't end until the 50s.

Actually, 1959. Up till then there was thriving bootlegging industry that served Oklahomans. I know this because my father opened a liquor store that year (located at 31st & May Ave. in OKC if you are old enough to remember . . . right next to Kips), the first year it was legal. He never made much money as a retailer. There was only room for one Gambulis in OKC . . .

As a man who enjoyed his bourbon straight, my dad decried the legalization of alcohol in Oklahoma. His take on it was, that it was easier to get a bottle before legalization than after. Liquor stores were open Monday-Saturday from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm. Bootleggers were open 24/7, 7 days a week and some of em would even deliver.

yermom
12/8/2008, 03:07 PM
For what it's worth, the work of eliminating inneffective and silly restrictions on the sale of alcohol is not over. For one thing, we need to give 18 y/o's back the right to buy alcohol. They are either legal adults or they're not for crying out loud. If they are old enough to vote, get married, buy a house, and serve their country in combat, why on earth do we continue to say they can't buy a beer? Heck, we let kids younger than 18 legally drive a car! I think we should flip it. Let 18's y/o's drink, but raise the driving age to 21. Moreover, many experts agree that allowing 18 y/os to buy and consume alocohol legally would very likely reduce dangerous binge drinking on college campuses.

exactly.

i'm not quite there on the driving thing though. 15 or 16 seems reasonable. maybe require an adult unless they have a job or something

olevetonahill
12/8/2008, 03:56 PM
exactly.

i'm not quite there on the driving thing though. 15 or 16 seems reasonable. maybe require an adult unless they have a job or something

I agree with ya bro on the driving. There are a Lot Of responsible Kids driving.
Plus for Single Parents its a Big Help . I know I raised My Boys By myself .

Frozen Sooner
12/8/2008, 04:34 PM
Actually, 1959. Up till then there was thriving bootlegging industry that served Oklahomans. I know this because my father opened a liquor store that year (located at 31st & May Ave. in OKC if you are old enough to remember . . . right next to Kips), the first year it was legal. He never made much money as a retailer. There was only room for one Gambulis in OKC . . .

As a man who enjoyed his bourbon straight, my dad decried the legalization of alcohol in Oklahoma. His take on it was, that it was easier to get a bottle before legalization than after. Liquor stores were open Monday-Saturday from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm. Bootleggers were open 24/7, 7 days a week and some of em would even deliver.

One of the older guys who was on our fraternity housing board woudl always tell us stories of how he'd bootleg alcohol in to Norman for weekend parties.

tbl
12/8/2008, 04:45 PM
The only places 16 year old kids should be able to drive are work and school. Period.