PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who has a bad feeling about this...?

batonrougesooner
12/5/2008, 02:21 AM
OU has to score only 16 more points to be the highest scoring team of the modern era.

Brown only needs 30 or so yards to reach 1000 for the year. That would make two 1000 yard rushers this year.

There are whispers around the country and among the media about this offense being the best of all time.

The focus has been on OU/Texas for the last two weeks...a game that was played six weeks ago.

I'm worried that we may see a result similar to the 2003 OU/KSU game this weekend.

If I had to bet, I would bet against it. But...Don't be surprised if OU looks flat this weekend. There is a precedent.

olevetonahill
12/5/2008, 02:23 AM
OU has to score only 16 more points to be the highest scoring team of the modern era.

Brown only needs 30 or so yards to reach 1000 for the year. That would make two 1000 yard rushers this year.

There are whispers around the country and among the media about this offense being the best of all time.

The focus has been on OU/Texas for the last two weeks...a game that was played six weeks ago.

I'm worried that we may see a result similar to the 2003 OU/KSU game this weekend.

If I had to bet, I would bet against it. But...Don't be surprised if OU looks flat this weekend. There is a precedent.

Ill bet ya 20 that we win By 21 :D

Leroy Lizard
12/5/2008, 02:48 AM
If OU loses,

1. The Sooners will be the laughing stock of the country.
2. OSU fans will claim that taking out Box did us in. Happy joy time in Stillwater.
3. UT will get to play for the national title.
4. McCoy will be a shoo-in for the Heisman.
5. OU will end up playing in a game in which it has nothing to gain playing a minor team that would be thrilled in knocking off one of the big boys (sound familiar?)

I don't even want to think of it.

TopDawg
12/5/2008, 02:52 AM

Looks like it's too late.

Crucifax Autumn
12/5/2008, 03:13 AM

We'll get both on the same play.

And that will just be the 3rd score on our way to a 70-something blowout where our offensive starters are sipping gatorade on the sideline with their helmets off for the entire second half.

That or we win 80-63 in a shootout, but I doubt it!

SoonerJack
12/5/2008, 08:52 AM
We'll get both on the same play.

Crucifax Autumn FTW :D

SoonerBorn68
12/5/2008, 08:55 AM
This thread is bad mojo. Somebody delete it!

Crimsontothecore
12/5/2008, 09:10 AM

Are you talking about precedent Bush or precedent Obama??;)

XingTheRubicon
12/5/2008, 09:24 AM
I always like to help out....

For those of you worried about similarities with 2003:

K-State was a 3 loss team.
(Mizzou 9-3)

KSU was a 17 point underdog.
(Mizzou +17)

K-State had never won the Big 12 CC and recently lost to us a 3 pt dog in the same game.
(Mizzou has never won the CC and lost to us as 3 pt fave in the same game)

No one thought we could lose.
(No one thinks Mizzou can win)

Kansas City.
(Brrrrr)

OU had several players and coaches with "decisions" to make concerning their future.
(Same)

Teams we really hated were hoping and needing like hell for us to lose.
(USC and LSU back then, Texas and USC now)

oupride
12/5/2008, 09:27 AM
But...Don't be surprised if OU looks flat this weekend. There is a precedent.

I disagree. There is NO precedent. This team were freshmen in 2005 and were embarassed with the loss to TCU, endured the debacles of 2006 and were outright denied an opportunity to play for the Championship in 2007. Let not your heart be troubled my friend and Boomer!!!

yermom
12/5/2008, 09:46 AM
KSU was better than their record as well. their defense was WAY better than Mizzou's and for two of their losses i think they were without Roberson

i'm still worried about this game, but less than i was about the one last week

OUMallen
12/5/2008, 09:49 AM

Gawd. Come on guys.

Fraggle145
12/5/2008, 09:55 AM
KSU was better than their record as well. their defense was WAY better than Mizzou's and for two of their losses i think they were without Roberson

i'm still worried about this game, but less than i was about the one last week

I just dont think they can run the ball as effectively as KSU did, which helped keep us on the ropes. We will have to see how Balogun steps up. Also we need to not kick it to Maclin. I think the main difference here is that the 2003 team was much more focused on the NFL than on the game. I just dont see that in this team.

Dan Thompson
12/5/2008, 10:04 AM
CHASE DANIELS HAS NEVER BEATEN OU.

pweitkem
12/5/2008, 10:15 AM
CHASE DANIELS HAS NEVER BEATEN OU.

I'm a gambling man. One of the rules I bet by, and it tends to run true, is never bet on a good team covering the spread against another good team three times in a row.

Not sure if I'm worried about OU losing, but I doubt OU wins in a walk.

XFollower
12/5/2008, 10:23 AM
I have one reason it won't happen.

Sam Bradford!

TopDawg
12/5/2008, 10:25 AM
We were so dominant in 2003 there was a lot of talk about how we could make it into the BCS title game even with a loss in the Big XII championship.

This year there is talk about how we shouldn't be in the Big XII championship game.

I think that's a huge difference.

XingTheRubicon
12/5/2008, 10:26 AM
^good point

ocsooner
12/5/2008, 10:49 AM
Second that.

oupride
12/5/2008, 10:55 AM
DITTO!

8timechamps
12/5/2008, 10:59 AM
I'm not worried one bit about Mizzou. It's the BCS title game that I'm thing about.

If we don't win that, we'll get a double dose of whorn crap until next October.

Bosley
12/5/2008, 11:05 AM
We also had a pretty good quarterback back then being mentioned for the Heisman...

rainiersooner
12/5/2008, 11:15 AM
Our players with 14, 15, and 16 year olds in 2003. We had a different coordinators on the O and D. We have a more mature O-line and (with all do respect to Works and Kejuan Jones) a better stable of running backs. It's an entirely different team.

We certainly could lose, but it would have nothing to do with the 2003 game, imo.

slamdog
12/5/2008, 11:20 AM
The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters!

TopDawg
12/5/2008, 12:03 PM
The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters!

John (4) Wilkes (6) Booth (5) = 15
Lee (3) Harvey (6) Oswald (6) = 15
Chase (5) Daniels (7) +3 = 15

:eek:

Thesifer
12/5/2008, 12:03 PM
I think Box going out might actually not be a bad thing. Not that I want to see anyone hurt but Mike Balogun really seems like he should be a good linebacker. At least from the last few plays when he appeared to seal the deal in stoolwater by shutting down their last chance at all drive.

TMcGee86
12/5/2008, 12:14 PM
I was on this bandwagon as well, until I went back and looked at that K-State team and that OU team.

First of all, K-State was a really really good team that lost three games in a row at the beginning of the season when El Roberson broke his hand and didn't play. They lost to Marshall, Texas and OSU back to back to back with either no El, or El playing partial time trying to come back from a broken hand.

After that game they didn't lose again until the Fiesta Bowl where they damn near beat a really good tOSU team.

OU on the other hand had everyone saying they were the best team in the history of CFB. They were so far ahead in the BCS rating that everyone was saying how they could lose that game and still make it. They had the highest BCS rating in history.

Plus, that team peaked too early. The 77-0 beat down of A&M was that teams proverbial load shot. From then on, it was like they felt bad about how much better they were than the other teams. They never looked the same and when White got hurt it was all she wrote.

This team is totally different. No one is talking about how good they are, they have a running game that is light years better than that team, and if they don't win there's no question not only will they not be in the BSC Championship Game, they wont be anywhere near a BCS game period.

(but it is kinda freaky they both lost to OSU and UT in back to back weeks huh? :D )

TMcGee86
12/5/2008, 12:16 PM
However, now that i think about it, Mizzou would seemingly also play an Ohio State team in the fiesta bowl should they pull the upset.

Just.

Like.

K-State.

*shiver*

stoopified
12/5/2008, 12:18 PM
Yes

slamdog
12/5/2008, 12:55 PM

Doomed. :D

Soonersince57
12/5/2008, 01:02 PM
Pinkel = 6 letters
Snyder = 6 letters
Stoops = 6 letters
Beyonce = 7 letters
breasts = 7 letters

I see patterns developing.

Jeronimo
12/5/2008, 02:13 PM
Not sure this will help anyone, and I know we all have little things that tend to sway our thoughts on games like this. Well, heres mine.

Our first road game this year I was skeptical. not about winning the game, it was crappy washington. but i felt with our road woes the last couple of years it was important to look solid that night. Of course we did what OU does best and I felt better about playing on the road. Not completely better, but much better.

We all watched Reynolds go down and needless to say we were all worried about who would fill in.

Box showed up and was really coming into his own I thought. The offense this year has been a machine. They've avg'd more points on the road than at home.

I had my usual at stoolwater worries cause we all know we struggle there seems like everytime we go there. but something told me, theres something different about this team. The offense has been like cold mercyless reapers on every defense. Like a machine, they show up for work, and flip the switch and the machine produces.

We all have these normal, "i hope we win" vibes, as it is a title game and we've seen uncertainty come true before in this game. But this OU team is very different than 2003 or any other. Sam has developed some kind of mechanism that does not feel emotion when he reads defenses. Even when osu was disguising the crap out of their D, moving guys around before snaps trying to confuse Sam, he picked up on it by the 2nd quarter and ended up torching the cowgirls the entire second half.

This team is different. they've been mentally prepared every single week this year. Sam is a qb unlike we've ever had before. Nothing bothers him. Hes like a machine. Part of me is still going to worry saturday night, but just like last week, something reminds me that this team is different.

yermom
12/5/2008, 02:31 PM
my only response to that is that against the Cowgirls the ball bounced in our favor quite a bit. like Gundy said, those tips evenually have to start going somewhere else

i think if we keep staying ahead on turnovers we'll be fine. no one scores like we do

btw, i was thinking the same thing @UW

KC//CRIMSON
12/5/2008, 02:38 PM
Once we start laying on the points it's over for MizzOU. They'll fold like a cheap tent.

TopDawg
12/5/2008, 03:12 PM
my only response to that is that against the Cowgirls the ball bounced in our favor quite a bit. like Gundy said, those tips evenually have to start going somewhere else

Help me out here. I know the Gresham TD was an example of a lucky bounce, but what else was there? On that other Gresham catch, it was more like he tipped the ball to himself and just did a better job of going to get it.

I'd say the phantom fumble would be an example of the ball bouncing in OSU's favor just about as much as the Gresham tipped TD reception. Was there a lot of other stuff I'm forgetting from the game?

SteelCitySooner
12/5/2008, 03:17 PM
I think we're going to do fine. I think Bob has this team pumped up; us-against-the-world mentality. It's been a national media collusion this past week basically stating we don't belong. I have a feeling we're going to deliver an epic beatdown on Saturday.

Position Limit
12/5/2008, 03:25 PM
no doubt about it. the stakes are very high. if we win, were are the big swinging dicks of college football. if we lose, good god the fallout is gonna be rough. i have a feeling stoops and the boys are taking this very serious, and very personal. i'm thinging big time woodshed cometh.

sidewinder517
12/5/2008, 03:26 PM
Kill this thread. Kill it dead. My guts are in knots.. It is misery. :eek: :eek: :eek:

TUSooner
12/5/2008, 03:37 PM
If OU loses,

1. The Sooners will be the laughing stock of the country.
2. OSU fans will claim that taking out Box did us in. Happy joy time in Stillwater.
3. UT will get to play for the national title.
4. McCoy will be a shoo-in for the Heisman.
5. OU will end up playing in a game in which it has nothing to gain playing a minor team that would be thrilled in knocking off one of the big boys (sound familiar?)

Thanks for bringing it up.

But as an aficionado of worst-case scenarios, I can appreciate it. The only thing that could top that disastrous vision would be if we lost to LSU in a bowl game. :(

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/5/2008, 03:43 PM
I'd say the phantom fumble would be an example of the ball bouncing in OSU's favor just about as much as the Gresham tipped TD reception. Was there a lot of other stuff I'm forgetting from the game?

It's not a ball bouncing kinda break, but the refs letting OSU's OL hold our DL with headlocks most of the night was something else the Sooners had to overcome.

SoonerBoognish
12/5/2008, 03:53 PM
I've said it in another thread, but it stands out when comparing the two games and seasons. That game in '03 where it started out as a typical ho-hum beatdown of Baylor, and ended up being a concern about picking up blitzes and protecting White. The week after 77-0 White was sacked 5 times, by Baylor, and pressured more than he had been up to that point. So, imo, the signs were there that the team wasn't as perfect as some believed, and some were shocked when the illusion came crashing down in the ccg, myself included.

SteelCitySooner
12/5/2008, 03:55 PM
Help me out here. I know the Gresham TD was an example of a lucky bounce, but what else was there? On that other Gresham catch, it was more like he tipped the ball to himself and just did a better job of going to get it.

People are considering Sam's fumble on the goal line, then it bouncing back into his hands so he could run it in, a break. But he fumbled cause of a injured hand, so I think it's a wash ;)

bmjlr
12/5/2008, 05:13 PM
Kill this thread. Kill it dead. My guts are in knots.. It is misery. :eek: :eek: :eek: I agree, I just pooped my pants reading this! :eek:

oubose
12/5/2008, 06:47 PM
You hit the nail on the head with that one. After 03 BIG12 theres no way Stoop's would let us look passed the game right in front of use. One step at a time even with the last step being for the MNC.

Iam4OUru
12/5/2008, 07:01 PM

(Mizzou 9-3)

(Mizzou +17)

K-State had never won the Big 12 CC and recently lost to us a 3 pt dog in the same game.

Kansas City.
(Brrrrr)

OU had several players and coaches with "decisions" to make concerning their future.
(Same)

That game was also played on Dec. 6

Iam4OUru
12/5/2008, 07:19 PM
Reading this thread has not changed my thinking one bit about this game. If there are no turnovers and Zou plays as good as they possibly can.....OU still wins.

shaun4411
12/5/2008, 07:21 PM
We were so dominant in 2003 there was a lot of talk about how we could make it into the BCS title game even with a loss in the Big XII championship.

This year there is talk about how we shouldn't be in the Big XII championship game.

I think that's a huge difference.

OU tend to play their best ball with their backs against the wall, and doubt being cast upon then.

example: missouri in 2007, Tech on 11/22, osu on 11/29, and of course missouri on 12/6.

its not unlikely to see ou as the (gasp) underdog in teh big game in miami come january. i think that would help a lot.

soonerspudman
12/5/2008, 08:25 PM

(Mizzou 9-3)

(Mizzou +17)

Kansas City.
(Brrrrr)

(Same)

One HUGE difference you're leaving out, in 2003 OU was undefeated and had a death grip on the #1 BCS ranking, this year's team has experienced and arisen from the brink, they are a hungry group, more like 2000.

cvsooner
12/5/2008, 08:43 PM
And you suppose Bob has told the troops wha' happened in 2003? Ya think? Or in the Fiesta Bowl last January? I think you're right, this group has something to prove. They did it on the road in convincing victories all season long.

The only thing that concerns me is...Stoops' teams have won the last three games of the season only one time -- 2000. Hopefully this group shares that characteristic of the 2000 group as well.

Jmorales22
12/6/2008, 02:27 AM

isn't mr. booger's name spelled sans that "s" at the end... i.e. Chase Daniel? I wonder if it bothers him when people call him Daniels? Like when someone calls OSU Oklahoma......

olevetonahill
12/6/2008, 02:37 AM
03 was a Long time ago
this aint that team . Let it go peeps we gonna smoke em