PDA

View Full Version : How Mack Brown voted in the latest coaches' poll

Sooner4FCD
12/4/2008, 09:44 PM
http://sportsmediablog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/12/how-mack-brown-voted-in-the-la.html

According to the fine folks at Dan Patrick's radio show, Mack Brown this morning told Dan this is how he voted in the USA Today coaches' poll:

1. Alabama
2. Texas
3. Florida
4. Oklahoma

I have a question for Coach Brown: How come a team whose only loss is to Texas on a neutral field ranks below a team whose only loss is to Mississippi at home? Just asking. Gutty of Brown to reveal his vote but does Mack stand for Machiavelli?

Apologies if this has been posted.

Ground_Attack
12/4/2008, 09:52 PM
I think they should get rid of the coaches votes altogether. Nothing like putting a coach in a bad spot when it comes down to where he ranks his team. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

OU-HSV
12/4/2008, 09:59 PM
I think they should get rid of the coaches votes altogether. Nothing like putting a coach in a bad spot when it comes down to where he ranks his team. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I agree that they should really look at the flaws of the coaches poll, and somehow fix it or get rid of it. For starters, here's a good one....why did so many coaches swing their votes this last week, as opposed to the 40 or whatever it was extra votes OU had the previous week. Were they that impressed w/texass' victory over aggie...and that unimpressed w/our 20 point victory on the road vs. a top 15 team?? I think we all know the answer to that one, politics and the media.
The problem is, the coaches poll has issues as does the AP poll. And too many people get pissy about computers playing a major roll in this. So who ends up ranking teams then?? I have no clue what that answer is.

ClintonSooner
12/4/2008, 10:03 PM
this is like a prom king vote....

bluedogok
12/4/2008, 10:09 PM
The problem none of them are watching much football. The coaches are concentrating on the next opponent, the writers are focused on whoever they are covering and it looks like most of the Harris voters are clueless buffoons, "since Bama and Florida are the only undefeated teams" :rolleyes:

JLEW1818
12/4/2008, 10:14 PM
shoot, if that is correct, Mack voted us higher then I thought.

Oldnslo
12/4/2008, 10:15 PM
Better than Schnelly ever voted us. Mack did okay for where he's at.

aurorasooner
12/4/2008, 10:30 PM
A school could probably spend 200 grand on politicking and if it worked come way out ahead. What's next taking out TV ads during a competitor's game to promote your cause? Is it ethical. No.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's 20 degrees and snowing Saturday night and we beat Mizzou 14-7 or 21-14 in (*%$$^** ice bowl conditions, if these da*n pollsters wouldn't drop us to #5 behind the SEC game winner Texas,USC and the SEC loser, just because we didn't score 60 in a blizzard. This whole ESPN type low-class politicking crap is just way out of control for supposed institutes of higher learning athletics.

BermudaSooner
12/4/2008, 10:40 PM
That's actually quite stand up of Mack if he really voted us #4. He could have gotten away with ranking us as low as 7 or so--which by the way would have meant that UT was ahead in both polls. It wouldn't have mattered for the BCS, but the pundits could have said "Texas ahead in both polls."

Leroy Lizard
12/4/2008, 10:41 PM
One of the Horns' biggest complaints is that Florida could jump them after this weekend. It sure doesn't look like Mack Brown has a problem voting OU under Florida, though.

yermom
12/4/2008, 10:43 PM
i have no problem with him voting that way. it would be easy to rationalize that

any lower and i'd probably think he was pushing it

i hope Tech was #5

cheezyq
12/4/2008, 11:09 PM
Good to know he took the high road, as he did when asked to campaign for his team during the OU/OSU game.

:rolleyes:

soonervegas
12/4/2008, 11:13 PM
I wonder where they could find a pool of people that could watch football everytime it is on espn, fox, abc, nbc, or cbs. Maybe one day they will come upon such a group. :)

sendbaht
12/4/2008, 11:21 PM
Yes I remember how Schnelly used to vote us like #35 just to be mean. I never liked that guy at all.

Mack did ok, he voted from his heart I suppose.

JLEW1818
12/4/2008, 11:26 PM
Do you think he really voted us 4th though?

hobbes2702
12/5/2008, 12:54 AM
I am sure he did. You guys hate him for the pandering for votes but you have to admit that Mack has a lot of integrity.

Redshirt
12/5/2008, 01:06 AM
Mack is a good man. He just happens to be the General for the enemy. There is respect there but also a desire to run him over in traffic.

yermom
12/5/2008, 01:11 AM
i just watched the game on DVR yesterday and he was whining more than i realized

his tone was a lot different than it had been before. he probably saw the writing on the wall at that point

hobbes2702
12/5/2008, 01:12 AM
I feel the same way about Stoops. I also have a lot more respect for him than most though because my brother played for OU so I got to meet him a couple times. He is very confident, bordering on cocky, but he is respectful and in turn gets respected. Also he is a great coach and earns respect from that as well.

SCOUT
12/5/2008, 01:18 AM
I am sure he did. You guys hate him for the pandering for votes but you have to admit that Mack has a lot of integrity.

I don't hate Mack. I think he is indeed a good man and a good coach. I would say he has integrity, but if he had "a lot" of integrity he would have voted Texas Tech ahead of Texas. You know, to be consistent in his head to head message.

47straight
12/5/2008, 03:00 AM
My opinion of Mack has greatly decreased in the last 2 weeks. I don't think he would lie outright like that. And if he does, he's got more problems than I could make fun of him for.

OU_Sooners75
12/5/2008, 03:09 AM
How cares what Mack Brown does?

Of course when voting for ones team, one will show some bias.

Crucifax Autumn
12/5/2008, 03:10 AM
Mine's the same...he's a tit and always has been...Switzer protege or not

OU_Sooners75
12/5/2008, 03:13 AM

I wouldn't call him a protege for only being under Switzer for one year.

Crucifax Autumn
12/5/2008, 03:38 AM
Well, that's sometimes the defense he gets from some people here...

In my personal opinion he's not even worthy of being teabagged by the King, but maybe that's just my often referred to "Crimson Glasses" speaking.

OU_Sooners75
12/5/2008, 04:13 AM
Well, that's sometimes the defense he gets from some people here...

In my personal opinion he's not even worthy of being teabagged by the King, but maybe that's just my often referred to "Crimson Glasses" speaking.

I couldn't agree more.

It is sad that some people actually think him being here one year matters?

LOL....maybe it is time for school to commense?

For those that think Brown is a product of OU...1984 was the only year he was at OU. His ties to OU are not long and damn sure are not loyal.

So anyone that thinks his short, really short time here at OU means anything, please think again.

CincySooner
12/5/2008, 08:56 AM
meh...

His ballot isn't too whacky and I respect him for nutting up and publishing his ballot.

I don't have too big a problem with his politicking either. He's the football coach and his job is to put his team in the best position possible to play for the national championship. Sure it was annoying, but he was just doing his job.

boomermagic
12/5/2008, 09:20 AM
meh...

His ballot isn't too whacky and I respect him for nutting up and publishing his ballot.

I don't have too big a problem with his politicking either. He's the football coach and his job is to put his team in the best position possible to play for the national championship. Sure it was annoying, but he was just doing his job.

I agree.. I don't like him because he is THE ENEMY but I do respect him...

BoonesFarmSooner
12/5/2008, 10:03 AM

I think his vote is CRAP. The dood is a hypocrite, parading around ESPN and other talk shows like some sort of yellow-toothed circus clown about how Texas beat OU head to head. It was settled on the field....

If that's his stance, how is Tech not ranked above Texas?

39-33

stoopified
12/5/2008, 12:52 PM
I don't hate Mack. I think he is indeed a good man and a good coach. I would say he has integrity, but if he had "a lot" of integrity he would have voted Texas Tech ahead of Texas. You know, to be consistent in his head to head message.He couldn't do thta,didn't you hear?SOMEBODY beat TT by 44 points making them unworthy.I just can't for the life of me recall who beat TT 65-21.

Oldnslo
12/5/2008, 01:12 PM

But... I LIKE tits.

birddog
12/5/2008, 01:16 PM
meh...

isn't this the week all votes had to be revealed? i don't think he had an option.

cvsooner
12/5/2008, 01:22 PM
http://sportsmediablog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/12/how-mack-brown-voted-in-the-la.html

Apologies if this has been posted.

Margin of victory. 10 > 1.

JLMSOONER
12/5/2008, 02:01 PM
Personally, he could have just said that he voted that way to try and deflect some of the criticism and help his "golly I'm a good guy and I'm just trying to tell these kids why they aren't going to KC" image!

humblesooner
12/5/2008, 02:13 PM
Personally, he could have just said that he voted that way to try and deflect some of the criticism and help his "golly I'm a good guy and I'm just trying to tell these kids why they aren't going to KC" image!

...and because the next vote has to be public. He could have voted texas #1 and OU #25 last week. When that didn't work to get texas in the B12 CCG, then he claims this is his vote, knowing that is similar to what it will be next week when he can't hide behind the anonymous vote.