PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Martin is my new favorite sports writer

PLaw
12/4/2008, 07:26 PM
From FoxSports.com:

This isn't about Bob Stoops or Mack Brown. And don't even think about blaming sportswriters and/or computers.

Whether you agree or not with the outcome, do you care to know why Oklahoma and not Texas, and to a lesser degree, Texas Tech is representing the South in this weekend's Big 12 Championship in Kansas City, Mo.?
Blame it on the schedule — the slate dictated by the conference and the non-conference portion the schools control.

Most, though, choose to gaze at the situation with bias, to ditch the unyielding nature of the rules — especially when it pertains to a complicated, three-team tie — and reach a "logical" conclusion.

Use common sense, they say.

The most convenient argument trotted out is the head-to-head result of the Oct. 11 showdown in Dallas. On a neutral field, the Longhorns defeated the Sooners, 45-35, and in the estimation of most, that should be the end of the discussion because Texas proved then it was the better team.

Which, of course, is ludicrous.

And what is it we're always being told?

It's not if you lose, but when you lose.

Did the season end after that game? Presumably there were still games left to play, right?

Nothing had been settled.

And if we're using common sense, let's step away and compare the situation to Southern California's hiccup earlier this season against Oregon State. Are we to believe that if the Beavers hadn't gotten thumped by Oregon over the weekend, 65-38, that the Pac-10's best team really was OSU? Of course not, but we wouldn't have argued who was deserving of the league's Rose Bowl berth because the Beavers would have earned it outright.

But the Big 12 was in a jam because head-to-head doesn't prove a thing when three teams are in the mix. And when UT beats OU but loses to Tech, and when OU throttles Tech, it only complicates the entire picture.

"Going into the last couple of weeks, we knew that a good team was going to be left out of the Big 12 championship," said Brown, the Texas coach. "Unfortunately, in this situation, it was us."

All things considered, the tiebreaker rules, which Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said this week might require tinkering, got it right. Why?

Because the most worthy representative from the South, the most-tested team, will represent the division Saturday against Missouri.

Sure, Texas had it rough for a four-week stretch against ranked opponents, a stretch the Longhorns almost emerged from unscathed. That it occurred Oct. 11 to Nov. 1 wasn't necessarily UT's fault, but failing to line up enough rugged foes during August and September might be.

Florida Atlantic, UTEP and Rice don't fool anyone, especially the computers.

Now take a look at what the Sooners did during the first five weeks of the season prior to the Red River Shootout — wins against Big East champion Cincinnati, which is ranked 13th in the BCS rankings, and TCU, which is ranked 11th, solidify the Sooners' case.

And closing the season against ranked foes such as Tech, which controlled its own national championship fate until being routed in Norman, and Oklahoma State, which hadn't lost all season in Stillwater?

No one else had to navigate such a treacherous, yet delicate finish.

"Each of us have identical records and one of us had to go," said OU's Stoops. "... We're excited to be in the situation. And again, I can understand with the way Tech and Texas feel — can't be good. But in the end it's your whole body of work through the year and how you've played down the stretch."

And now, the Sooners are being justly rewarded.

"It is what it is," Brown said. "We don't like it, we don't agree with it or think it's fair but, like anything else, we'll handle it and move forward."

Jeffrey Martin is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com. He also writes for the Kansas City Star and the Wichita Eagle. He can be reached at [email protected].

SoonerStormchaser
12/4/2008, 07:43 PM
I'm sure his email will be flooded with Whorn whining in a few minutes.

swardboy
12/4/2008, 07:46 PM
Simple, to the point....and no banners. I especially like the way he crafted this:

The most convenient argument trotted out is the head-to-head result of the Oct. 11 showdown in Dallas. On a neutral field, the Longhorns defeated the Sooners, 45-35, and in the estimation of most, that should be the end of the discussion because Texas proved then it was the better team.

Which, of course, is ludicrous.

And what is it we're always being told?

It's not if you lose, but when you lose.

Did the season end after that game? Presumably there were still games left to play, right?

Nothing had been settled.

goodonya
12/4/2008, 07:56 PM
What's not fair about playing by the rules? Are UT fans advocating an alternative?

oubose
12/4/2008, 08:02 PM
Seen it on Fox earlier today and loved it. GO SOONERS!!!

Hot Rod
12/4/2008, 09:57 PM
I still don't get what's so hard to understand about it. It's a rule that all 3 teams had to get through. The computers obviously favored us, and so we get put in. It's not a matter about a person or persons' opinion to dictate the outcome, which would've been Texas, but rather a BCS ranking. Calculated. Settled. Done.

Salt City Sooner
12/4/2008, 10:03 PM
He's a local up here & can be hard to figure out sometimes, including this time. He does the Sunday night sports show w/ CBS's local guy (Bruce Haertl), & this past Sunday when the ratings came out, both he & Bruce were awfully pro-horns on the subject. I'd love hear him tell if it was just a knee-jerk reaction on Sunday or what the deal is, because it's pretty much the polar opposite of what he was saying then.

starclassic tama
12/4/2008, 10:11 PM
he's a sportswriter, his job is to promote controversy and provide a freak side show, just like every other one out there.

goingoneight
12/4/2008, 10:41 PM
45-35... let's digest this for a moment.
The annual Red River Shootout winner is the team who catches all the breaks and wins the turnover battle usually, right? I mean... had it not been for Teddy Lehman looking up and finding a football in 2001, incomplete pass, OU is still under fire to possibly blow the game in the waning moments.

That's just one example. Texas... please... listen to reason. Your 45-35 victory was nothing anywhere close to the 63-14 or even your 45-12 demolishing of us matchups in recent years. It was not some game that was just decided from the get go while we scored a bunch of garbage time touchdowns to make it look tighter than it was.

Fast forward a second to Lubbock, Texas. I agree with the sentiment that had this game been in Austin or even a neutral field, UT wins soundly. But guess what... you played them at home last year, so you owed them one. If this is such a "fluke" loss, then why can you not see that a game where the #1 team in the country in turnover margin had three turnovers and lost it's best defensive player in the 2nd quarter not a "fluke?"

We lost to you, oh mighty Texas. We still hung 35 on your asses and had oppurtunities for more. Bradford was phenomenal that day... he was not "out-performed by Colt McCoy." Go back and look at that game. Yes, we lost... but we lost on about the same chance you lost to Taco Tech. Blake Gideon's dropped interception was Ryan Reynolds knee. You guys giving up that ridiculous final drive nearly the length of the field was our Jordan Shipley touchdown return.

You went 11-1, we won out, Tech went 11-1. The BCS went and crunched numbers and considered everything we've heard ad nauseum the last week. Strength of schedule, style points, signature victories, who's hot, who's not... we found a running game and you didn't (not my words, it's a common stat that everyone keeps pointing out). None of the three BIG 12 South dogs can say they have a defense that won't bend a little, especially missing key players like Box and Orakpo.

This is NOT OU's fault, Bob Stoops's fault nor even the big bad OU fanbase's fault. It's a flawed system and right now it's all we have. Don't blame us, blame people like DeLoss Dodds for voting to keep the craptacular BCS mess that keeps us from showing down again or at least being thrown into a league of title contenders to duke it out. Blame the BIG 12 for their refusal to go round-robin. You never know if OU and Texas playing those two other games might have gotten the answer of who is truly better? There have been way more shocking upsets in college football history than that of what Iowa State (Hello OU! Remember 17-7 in Ames last year?), Kansas State (Hello, Texas! Remember 2006 and 2007?), or Colorado (Hello, Oklahoma! I know you don't lose on your home field often, but Hawkins does still own a victory over you from last year). Hey... what if Taco Tech did this round robin thingy and got exposed by Missouri and Colorado for the THIRD year in a row?

See how even the biggest OU homer can admit the system is screwed up, yet it's what we have and apparently what we voted for?

cheezyq
12/4/2008, 11:08 PM
If you're using the word "flawed" in comparing the BCS to say, playoffs, I agree with the assessment. But if you're just saying the system is flawed because one team got in and the other two didn't, I wholeheartedly disagree.

Salt City Sooner
12/4/2008, 11:45 PM
he's a sportswriter, his job is to promote controversy and provide a freak side show, just like every other one out there.
I agree, but this is pretty un-Martin-like. It's been hit & miss on things that I agree w/ him on over the years, but I can't every recall him flip-flopping like this. Once he states his case, he sticks with it.

Here's the Sunday sportscast. Scroll down on the list to Sports Sunday, November 30, part 2, breakdown 1. The subject comes up around the 5:25 mark. Martin is the guy on the right in the blue sweater.

http://www.kwch.com/Global/category.asp?C=78805&nav=menu486_4

bmjlr
12/4/2008, 11:54 PM
I live in Wichita, KS, and this loser has been on the radio claiming it is saseT that should be there, don't let him fool you. He is a K-State homer who doesn't have a clue. Jeff f'n sucks!!!