PDA

View Full Version : Secret millionaire

badger
12/4/2008, 02:07 PM
Anyone watch this last night? I peeked at it a few times between crappy MMA on Versus and some throw away basketball games on Espen.

For those of you who missed, the founder of Raisin' Canes and some wealthy LA lawyer and his artistic son became poorhouse people for a week and found worthy causes to donate "at least $100,000 towards" at the end of the week.

So the richy rich lawyer and artsy fartsy son donate $50k each to a family with a sick daughter and a home for children with needs (I missed the beginning of the episode, so I'm not sure what made their cause worthy).

The Raisin' Canes founder and his millionaire-in-her-own-right wife (likely the bank roller for his chicken finger dream business) are from Baton Rouge, so they just rolled their SUV to the nearest trailer park on the gulf coast, which happened to be a devastated community of Katrina, several years removed. They gave $100k each to a high school football coach (the school was still in disrepair and brought rivals from several local schools together to win the state title), a pastor rebuilding the community, and someone working out of their FEMA trailer to build a community gathering place.

If you wanna cry a la Oprah but work during the day, this might be a viable alternative.

mdklatt
12/4/2008, 03:23 PM
This sounds more useful than the odious Extreme Home Makeover.

shaun4411
12/4/2008, 04:27 PM
a few years ago i worked an event to which todd graves (rasin canes founder) attended in oklahoma city. we talked sports and politics for 20 mins and then he gave me a $20 tip. he's a nice guy.

Boomer.....
12/4/2008, 05:20 PM
I thought it was a great show. So much better than the reality crap that is being put on tv. It benefits views so much more by showing how "the other side" live as well as hopefully making people appreciate what they have that much more. Hopefully it will also entice others to start giving more.

Pricetag
12/5/2008, 12:56 AM
a few years ago i worked an event to which todd graves (rasin canes founder) attended in oklahoma city. we talked sports and politics for 20 mins and then he gave me a $20 tip. he's a nice guy.
I was far more impressed with him than I was with the lawyer. He made his own money in an admirable way. He gave out a lot more, too.

I wondered if working on the forclosures and stuff might have been a little tougher for the lawyer after the experience.