PDA

View Full Version : Washington Interviews Venables

Mjcpr
12/4/2008, 11:26 AM
Report: OU's Venables interviews with Washington

Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables has reportedly interviewed for the head coaching job at the University of Washington, according to the Seattle Times.

In a Wednesday night Huskies blog, the newspaper cited two sources -- one that said Venables has interviewed and that said he likely had been interviewed. Venables, who is preparing to play Missouri in Saturday night's Big 12 championship game in Kansas City, could not confirm whether or not he had interviewed in a text message reply late Wednesday night.

The Times reported that Texas Tech coach Mike Leach might be getting a second interview with the Huskies, and that Fresno State coach Pat Hill, who interviewed previously, wanted to know by Thursday if he was UW's choice.

One source told the newspaper that Washington athletic director Scott Woodward wanted "a tough guy" to replace Tyrone Willingham, who was fired in October.

The Huskies are 0-11 and conclude their season Saturday with a Pac-10 Conference game at California.

Venables interviewed three weeks ago with Clemson AD Terry Don Phillips for the Tigers' vacancy. Phillips this week promoted interim coach Dabo Swinney.

Venables, 37, has been OU's linebackers coach since Bob Stoops was hired in December 1998. He was co-defensive coordinator from 1999-2003 and has been Stoops' defensive coordinator since 2004.

Among Venables' pupils, he has coached two Butkus Award winners (Rocky Calmus and Teddy Lehman) and four other All-Americans (Torrance Marshall, Lance Mitchell, Rufus Alexander and Curtis Lofton). Alexander and Lofton won the last two Big 12 defensive player of the year awards.

Venables' best coaching accomplishment, though, may be this season. He began the year with new starters at all three positions, including a redshirt freshman and a converted safety, and has had to rebuild the corps twice after two injuries at middle linebacker. Redshirt freshman Travis Lewis on Tuesday was named Big 12 defensive freshman of the year.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20081204_92_0_Oklaho669250

NOVSooner
12/4/2008, 11:32 AM
with certainly no disrespect to BV, i would think the huskies, fan base, etc. will want a big name (or who's hot right now) to come in, be a coach who can recruit based off his name and try to bring some excitement there. all indications of this reply are that Leach would be the "wanted" choice b/c of his offense and that offense's ability to attract recruits in that area quickly. it would seem based off what has gone on the past few years up there that they really want one with head coaching experience already, but if he interviewed, wish him the best of luck

TMcGee86
12/4/2008, 11:47 AM
Well, it's never hurt us before when a Pac-10 school interviewed our DC right before the Big12 Championship game.

oh wait...

Knippz
12/4/2008, 11:51 AM
How funny would it be if Venables left, and we picked up Muschamp?

I would say hilarious. I don't want him, but it would be too good to pass up. Not for our team, but to shove another fat metaphorical c*ck in Texass' face.

It won't happen, but just thinking about it makes me giggle.

47straight
12/4/2008, 11:52 AM
UW doesnt seem that attractive, IMO.

oumartin
12/4/2008, 01:29 PM
they are gonna fold and offer to Pat Hill

noobalicious
12/4/2008, 01:32 PM
He should be focusing on stopping the Mizzou offense

rainiersooner
12/4/2008, 02:05 PM
with certainly no disrespect to BV, i would think the huskies, fan base, etc. will want a big name (or who's hot right now) to come in, be a coach who can recruit based off his name and try to bring some excitement there. all indications of this reply are that Leach would be the "wanted" choice b/c of his offense and that offense's ability to attract recruits in that area quickly. it would seem based off what has gone on the past few years up there that they really want one with head coaching experience already, but if he interviewed, wish him the best of luck

Funnily enough there was an article in the Seattle Times this morning arguing that the Huskies had been burned by "big name" coaches - i.e., Neuheisal and Willingham - and that they should focus on a young, below the radar coordinator. They used the example of OU hiring Stoops in '99.

Having said that, I would hate for us to lose any coach during December when we've got championships to play for....

cheezyq
12/4/2008, 02:14 PM
UW doesnt seem that attractive, IMO.

Bingo, although I think it makes WAY more sense for BV to go there than for Leach to jump ship. TT >= UW. The only argument could be that Leach is tired of competing for 3rd in the Big 12 South...oh, wait, sorry. I had a Mack moment. ;)

IBleedCrimson
12/4/2008, 02:19 PM
I personally wanna see leachs crazy tangents up there. He scares me in the big12. Eventually he's gonna get a team of elite calibur athletes instead of just 3 or 4 like he has now, and then, watch out!

OUinFLA
12/4/2008, 02:21 PM
Bingo, although I think it makes WAY more sense for BV to go there than for Leach to jump ship. TT >= UW. The only argument could be that Leach is tired of competing for 3rd in the Big 12 South...oh, wait, sorry. I had a Mack moment. ;)

did you clap your hands?

soonerstan56
12/4/2008, 03:12 PM
John Hoover in the Tulsa World also reported this today.
If true I hope he uses the next two games to make his case.

Stan

Stoop Dawg
12/4/2008, 03:16 PM
Having said that, I would hate for us to lose any coach during December when we've got championships to play for....

I agree. But if we had to lose one........

mdklatt
12/4/2008, 03:30 PM
they are gonna fold and offer to Pat Hill

Hill seems past his prime, but then again so is Washington.

TMcGee86
12/4/2008, 03:39 PM
Leach just took his name out of consideration.

Either means Tech gave up the booty, or he's headed to Auburn.

Jacie
12/4/2008, 09:16 PM
If can't beat em, hire em.

As for Muschamp coming here, first we have to perform the operation to separate his body and organs that are conjoined with Mack Brown's . . .

Blues1
12/4/2008, 09:40 PM
ESPN say's Sarkesgenin (sp?) from USC has the Job

sooner ngintunr
12/4/2008, 09:41 PM
Steve Sarkisian, USC OC, is reportedly the next head coach of UW.
I like BV, hope he stays.

Red October
12/4/2008, 09:43 PM
Hill just took his name out of consideration also..

Man, I wish they would go after Norm Chow or the DC for USC...

goingoneight
12/4/2008, 09:46 PM
It's amazing Kevin Wilson isn't even being mentioned.

I guess all the BV haters can rest now that Arkansas, Clemson, Kansas State, Washington (twice), Texas A&M (twice) have all interviewed him... but you know... not any division 1 programs or anything.

oumartin
12/4/2008, 09:46 PM
so, this leaves Auburn as the big job opening?

of course Brent is just hangin' out waitin' on Bob to leave after this year