PDA

View Full Version : Another sportswriter joins the dumbazz list.

aurorasooner
12/4/2008, 02:51 AM
I hate to say it but this one's from Big 12 country- Denver, and according to his resume he's been a sportswriter forever. I knew there was a reason I didn't take the RMN. I just now saw the article flipping through Google news or I would've pounded him as well, but there's nothing more to be said in the comments section. Kudo's to all the Sooners who hammered this hack. Just embarrassing to see a writer in a major Big 12 city write an article on Big 12 football and not know a damn thing about his subject, and fabricate non-truths about the workings of the BCS system. I'm quoting his column because surely the RMN will pull it because of so many fabricated inaccuracies. However it's been up 2 days.
Bernie Lincicome is a nationally renowned sports columnist who wrote for the Chicago Tribune for 17 years. He now turns his skeptical eye, sharp wit and engaging style to Denver's sports scene. His column appears four times a week.

LINCICOME: Sooners have cyberspace pals

By Bernie Lincicome

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Trying to imagine CU or Air Force or Colorado State in the middle of the annual BCS taffy pull brings this thought. Yes, please.

To be one of the three or four best college football teams in the nation and then to get excluded from the final sorting out is beyond the reality in which the local teams rest. I mean by that, both the front part and last part of the preceding sentence, the including and excluding.

So, it is a little hard to know exactly how Texas or even Texas Tech feels about Oklahoma being their proxy for more marbles than anyone hereabouts plays for.

One does imagine, it being the state of Texas, something along the lines of somebody put a skunk in the chili, and I'm cleaning that up.

This is not the first time computers have favored Oklahoma in football matters, allowing all sorts of suspicions about neutrality of dumb machines, not to insult computers, or . . . wait, yes, to insult computers directly.

Computers put the Sooners in a title game against LSU, even though they lost the '03 Big 12 title game to Kansas State, leaving USC out, and the next year in a three-way tug with USC and Auburn, again the Sooners found friends among the microchips and Auburn has been crying ever since.

As an advocate of human error - I am against instant replay as well as some guy in his bathrobe deciding matters as grave as a national football championship (and I don't mean to imply that Barack Obama, who wants an eight- team playoff, wears a bathrobe or even owns one) - I automatically side with instinct.

Go with your gut, as Mike Shanahan might say, but use a little common sense.

So it is that the human polls went with Texas while the nonhuman side found Oklahoma better as three of the six BCS computers picked the Sooners No. 1. This is not to forget the old computer adage - garbage in, garbage out - and so we have an opponent for Missouri for the Big 12 title and likely for Florida or Alabama, probably Florida, for it all.

The fallacy in all of this is that Texas, you see, beat Oklahoma earlier, the clearest of all tests of who is better. Humans know this; machines do not. Texas barely lost to Texas Tech, on one of the most dramatic game-enders since Doug Flutie was at Boston College. Oklahoma slaughtered Texas Tech. So what?

All three teams finished with one loss, and to pick a Big 12 representative for the conference title game and for what might happen later, the Big 12 relied on the BCS to let it know whom to choose.

Now, this is a little like asking a wind sock for directions, but the BCS is capable of looking up its own armpit, so here we are.

We are letting another football season end because little machines whirr and cough and clatter and come up with the wrong answer. At least, that's what my laptop does, and I've been meaning to speak to our tech people about it.

As Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said, people are entitled to argue all sides, and he said this without breaking out into giggles because all of this is as free as gossip.

As conclusive as Obama's eight-team playoff might make things, consider not just the loss of controversy and cross- country chatter, otherwise known as publicity, but under such a plan, Texas would still be left out, as would Texas Tech and either Alabama or Florida, considering that only conference champions need apply.

Clearly the reason Oklahoma got the computer edge was because it ran up the score on teams, since most of the computer programs are based on point differential. Oklahoma has won four games scoring in the 60s, another four in the 50s.

Even losing to Texas, OU scored 35. And the Longhorns did not make it into the 60s even once.

Running up the score is an old tactic, and I am not against it per se. One team ought to be able to establish how much better it is than another team. Or, as FSU coach Bobby Bowden once told me, "Son, I can't coach both teams."

Sportsmanship suffers, if it matters, and it should. Piling on is unseemly, but as long as the present system exists, it is how teams separate themselves.

Texas' problem is not that it is not as good as Oklahoma - it already proved it was better - but it was more compassionate. Imagine that.

Link to the article and comments. http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/02/lincicome-sooners-have-cyberspace-pals/

Crucifax Autumn
12/4/2008, 03:10 AM
dumass!

So let me get this straight again...

Texass is better than OU, OU is better than Tech, and Tech is better than Texass.

OK...I get it! Dumbassery rules the media!

rainiersooner
12/4/2008, 03:33 AM
...the Big 12 relied on the BCS to let it know whom to choose. Now, this is a little like asking a wind sock for directions, but the BCS is capable of looking up its own armpit, so here we are.

I consider myself a relatively educated person but...I am not quite sure what this means. Granted, it has a certain poetic and metaphorical resonance to it...but what exactly does it have to do with who is a better team and who deserves to play in the Big XII championship? Darnit, this guy just gets it better than I do, I guess.

rainiersooner
12/4/2008, 03:35 AM
Clearly the reason Oklahoma got the computer edge was because it ran up the score on teams, since most of the computer programs are based on point differential. Oklahoma has won four games scoring in the 60s, another four in the 50s.

Hmmm, I thought it had to do with our strength of schedule, since the BCS doesn't take margin of victory into account. But what do I know? This guy is a "sports journalist". Are you friggin' kidding me??? Please, please God, for all that is holy, please do not tell me that this guy has an AP vote. I won't be able to continue watching college football if he does.

soonermeteor
12/4/2008, 03:43 AM
I guess we should just stop scoring after the first quarter because at that point we've already hit our 35 point limit? :pop:

This running up the score crap is the biggest pile of garbage I've ever read. I'd like to see even our first down statistics in the third quarter. I need more than my two hands to count the number of three and outs we've had because we basically just run it up the middle into the pile at that point.

IronHorseSooner
12/4/2008, 07:37 AM
How can you run up the score in a conference that has a lot of offensive firepower? If we wanted to score 80 on teams, we could have, but Coach put the 2nd and 3rd string guys in games, sometimes in the 3rd quarter. I would love to see Sam's #s if he were in all game long. You don't need facts anymore to be not just a sports reporter, but a reporter in general. All you need is a computer and an opinion. Hey, let's see what The Onion says about all of this! They are probably more on target than some of these clowns, and they take the news as a joke.

Hot Rod
12/4/2008, 08:46 AM
I don't think these writers ever watch these games or get stats as to which QB(s) play. They just see a score and make assumptions. So to be a sports writer in this day, you just have to be able to read a scoreboard, it seems. Rough job.

SoonerJack
12/4/2008, 09:17 AM
I guess we should just stop scoring after the first quarter because at that point we've already hit our 35 point limit? :pop:

This running up the score crap is the biggest pile of garbage I've ever read. I'd like to see even our first down statistics in the third quarter. I need more than my two hands to count the number of three and outs we've had because we basically just run it up the middle into the pile at that point.

Here's an idea. Once the point differential reaches 28, first team stays in, takes a knee three times and punts. Once the other team scores, we go back to playing the game like it should be played. The announcers would be speechless.

1890MilesToNorman
12/4/2008, 09:29 AM
Lets change the rules, turn off the clocks and the first one to 60 wins! or put in a mercy rule and if you ever get behind by 30 points you lose. Or maybe we just play for fun and not keep score like they make our kids do?

OUinFLA
12/4/2008, 09:51 AM
he sure got blasted in all the comments.
did he ever publish a correction regarding his uninformed opioions?

Lott's Bandana
12/4/2008, 10:30 AM
So it is that the human polls went with Texas while the nonhuman side found Oklahoma better as three of the six BCS computers picked the Sooners No. 1.

Um, two polls, one favored Oklahoma, the other whorn.

That's a tie.

Head to head.

Computer tiebreaker....

Ta Da!

SoonerWally
12/4/2008, 10:44 AM
How do you start off with a tag-line like "Trying to imagine CU or Air Force or Colorado State in the middle of the annual BCS taffy pull brings this thought. Yes, please." to get to an opinion that OU ran up the score on people? Pathetic.

Soonersince57
12/4/2008, 10:46 AM
Texas is more compassionate? Maybe there should be a compassion rank in the BCS?? Just ask Colorado in 2005 Big XII game. Wasn't it 70-3 or something?

Dan Thompson
12/4/2008, 10:47 AM
Hey, the guy has to write something to fill the pages. If he can cause readers to react, then the paper knows that someone is actually read his crap.

soonerboomer93
12/4/2008, 11:14 AM
IBTM

bluedogok
12/4/2008, 01:25 PM
Another sportswriter joins the dumbazz list.
With me they pretty much all reside there until they show some reason for them not to be there......

Like I posted in another thread which had this in it, he makes Galloway and Dale Hansen look like Mensa members.

soonerlaw
12/4/2008, 02:15 PM
Tulsa had a higher scoring avg. than OU for most of the season. Man, maybe they are classless too.:rolleyes:

SB hardly played in the 4th, and JH hardly threw it. I say we just ask Madu how many carries he got and out of those, how many times he was told to run it into the middle.

Truth it, we have a prolific offense and we use it. Why is this jackass not saying USC is unsportmanlike for not letting other teams score a little bit and holding a bunch of opponents without a TD. Why? because that would be ridiculous, just like his argument with OU.

IBleedCrimson
12/4/2008, 03:03 PM
Here's an idea. Once the point differential reaches 28, first team stays in, takes a knee three times and punts. Once the other team scores, we go back to playing the game like it should be played. The announcers would be speechless.

lol. the only way our offense could not score is if we just kneeled it out... and that hurts the team bc then our backups dont get snaps, plus it allows other teams to catch up. especially high powered teams like aggy and sand aggy. :rolleyes:

TMcGee86
12/4/2008, 03:24 PM
Heh. Fitting this story comes out today:

Scripps putting RMN up for sale (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D94S22C01&show_article=1)