PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question: I'm assuming I did the right thing, but am interested in context of..

royalfan5
12/3/2008, 08:15 PM
said action. As I got back from the store, the Fuzz was waiting at the door of my controlled entry apartment building. They asked if I could let them in and I did. They went looking for whomever. Are there extensive legal rules surrounding entry to a controlled entry apartment complex, or is it something that doesn't matter?

Jello Biafra
12/3/2008, 08:20 PM
said action. As I got back from the store, the Fuzz was waiting at the door of my controlled entry apartment building. They asked if I could let them in and I did. They went looking for whomever. Are there extensive legal rules surrounding entry to a controlled entry apartment complex, or is it something that doesn't matter?

just my .02 but, if they were there, it wasnt for tea. you want to live with people like that? i wouldnt.

i would rather cooperate than me be the possible next target.

olevetonahill
12/3/2008, 08:49 PM
If they didnt Have a warrant .
Id have told em
**** off dip ****s
But thats Just me .:D

royalfan5
12/3/2008, 08:54 PM
If they didnt Have a warrant .
Id have told em
**** off dip ****s
But thats Just me .:D

I don't think you need a warrant to be in the hallway though, unless you do. I don't know.

olevetonahill
12/3/2008, 09:05 PM
That Locked Door Is there for a reason .

yermom
12/3/2008, 09:06 PM
yeah, i'm thinking i'd let them talk to a manager

royalfan5
12/3/2008, 09:10 PM
yeah, i'm thinking i'd let them talk to a manager

Manager leaves at 6. This was at 7.

IBleedCrimson
12/3/2008, 09:11 PM
I've never had a single positive experience where the police were involved. There's nothing illegal about letting them in tho. Maybe something in the homeowners association aggreement but I doubt it

olevetonahill
12/3/2008, 09:15 PM
Manager leaves at 6. This was at 7.

Then Tell em to Come back in the Morning .
WTF were they wanting anyway ? Just to snoop around the Hall ?

royalfan5
12/3/2008, 09:25 PM
Then Tell em to Come back in the Morning .
WTF were they wanting anyway ? Just to snoop around the Hall ?

They were clearly there to have a chat with a resident who wasn't responding to their buzzes on the intercom. Wasn't a social visit.

GottaHavePride
12/3/2008, 09:59 PM
Man, y'all are, as a rule, damn suspicious of the police. They're just doing their job.

What if they're just trying to go tell some guy his wife was in a car wreck? You're all going to be jerks and say "no, I don't think I'll let you guys in."

That's probably not the case, but still.. If dude doesn't want them in his apartment, he can just not answer the door to his apartment. No reason to deny the police access to a freakin' stairwell.

olevetonahill
12/3/2008, 10:32 PM
You callin Me a Jerk ?
I bet Jerk aint gonna Like that at all :D

Okla-homey
12/3/2008, 11:43 PM
Strictly limiting this to the Fourth Amendment analysis, common areas are just that. Common. You, as a resident can give access to common areas to visitors, even cops, just as you may invite someone to your apartment and afford them access to the common areas enroute to your place. You don't however, have the authority to give the cops access to another resident's apartment (nor does the landlord) -- but you already knew that.

Now, what the gangster and/or his confederates do to you when they find out you let the cops into the compound is another kettle of fish. They may kill you violently in order to make an example of you and send a message to the other folks.;)

yermom
12/3/2008, 11:49 PM
Man, y'all are, as a rule, damn suspicious of the police. They're just doing their job.

What if they're just trying to go tell some guy his wife was in a car wreck? You're all going to be jerks and say "no, I don't think I'll let you guys in."

That's probably not the case, but still.. If dude doesn't want them in his apartment, he can just not answer the door to his apartment. No reason to deny the police access to a freakin' stairwell.

9 times out of 10 when i'm dealing cops they aren't there to do me any favors

GottaHavePride
12/3/2008, 11:54 PM
See, I've only had a problem once out of all the times I've ever dealt with police. And even THEN he was nice about it. I just happened to be drunk.

Being polite and friendly toward police goes a long way.

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2008, 12:08 AM
Only trouble I've ever had with a cop is when he found out I was shtupping his wife.

I wasn't aware she was married, for the record.

olevetonahill
12/4/2008, 12:21 AM
See, I've only had a problem once out of all the times I've ever dealt with police. And even THEN he was nice about it. I just happened to be drunk.

Ya the Bastages are always lettin Me wear thier Jewlry:mad:

GottaHavePride
12/4/2008, 12:22 AM
Lily von Shtupp?

Tulsa_Fireman
12/4/2008, 01:19 AM

Amen.

I was working in Cleveland, Ohio slingin' cable TV many moons ago in my younger and more stupid days and wouldn't you know it, New Years Eve came. We had a hoot. And I was the most sober of the bunch, but I still had my head in a bucket. Wouldn't you know it, we drove all the hell way out to a lil' town called North Ridgeville east of Elyria for a dance hall type joint. And wouldn't you know it, I got the keys at the end of the night. I couldn't see the street signs very well for our turn off on the backroads of North Ridgeville, so my slowing down and speeding up attracted the attention of their local law enforcement officials. When they opened the passenger side door of the truck, my buddy literally fell out onto the street.

I was dead to rights. They had me. Admitted my failure, admitted my mistake, and was open to whatever the officers deemed appropriate given the situation. By the time the breathalyzer was done and the tickets were being filled out, the officer and I were having a conversation about my beloved Oklahoma, his own plans to eventually move out west when he retired, and other than the fact that I was being hauled off, had one of the most enjoyable conversations I ever had in that sh*thole of a state. We even shook hands as we departed and wished each other well. When I appeared before the Mayor (they try certain cases in Mayor's Court up there apparently, depending on the town), she specifically said that the officer had noted in his report that I was extremely cooperative, admitted my fault, and was helpful throughout the entire process. I don't know about leniency, but the Mayor, based on that, cut the charges to Reckless Operation, thanked me for my actions (and I returned the favor, of course), and sent me on my way, lesson learned and out a whole bunch of money.

For being such a stupid turn of events on my part, that is one of the most memorable times I had in that sphincter of a state. I learned a seriously important message and met the one person from Ohio that wasn't a dick.

And surprise, surprise, it was a cop!

yermom
12/4/2008, 01:41 AM

for the record, my grandfather was retired TPD, and i've never been in any real trouble, so i don't have any real problems with cops

i'm always polite and friendly and get lots of warnings when pulled over

i still don't like seeing one in my rear view and would like to keep my interactions with them to a minimum

TUSooner
12/4/2008, 08:51 AM
Strictly limiting this to the Fourth Amendment analysis, common areas are just that. Common. You, as a resident can give access to common areas to visitors, even cops, just as you may invite someone to your apartment and afford them access to the common areas enroute to your place. You don't however, have the authority to give the cops access to another resident's apartment (nor does the landlord) -- but you already knew that.

Now, what the gangster and/or his confederates do to you when they find out you let the cops into the compound is another kettle of fish. They may kill you violently in order to make an example of you and send a message to the other folks.;)

Gold star! :D

Okla-homey
12/4/2008, 09:59 AM
Gold star! :D

Thanks counselor. And for the record, I wrote that after getting home last night from my rhinoplasty. srsly.:eek:

TheHumanAlphabet
12/4/2008, 10:20 AM
The whole things centers on whether Royal "gave them permission" to enter or if the "tailgated" in.
I would say I would open the door and if it doesn't close real fast behind me, that's not my fault, but either the management for installing a slow shutting door or the manufacturer for selling a defective door. ;)

Okla-homey
12/4/2008, 10:46 AM
The whole things centers on whether Royal "gave them permission" to enter or if the "tailgated" in.
I would say I would open the door and if it doesn't close real fast behind me, that's not my fault, but either the management for installing a slow shutting door or the manufacturer for selling a defective door. ;)

Did you read his original post?

They asked if I could let them in and I did. They went looking for whomever.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/4/2008, 11:23 AM
Did you read his original post?

Yeah, I did. My reply was centered around if he was going to get into trouble for letting them in or not...I didn't make that clear or speak to that very well. Though as if Mr. GanstaGangster would care if the cops tailgated in or not when he goes looking to see how the cops got in...

EDIT: I should have added a winky ;) My answer was tongue in cheek...

Sooner_Bob
12/4/2008, 11:34 AM
He let them into a controlled access apartment complex. I seriously doubt the complex owner/manager wants to keep the police out.