PDA

View Full Version : Advancing a Fumble of 4th down?

soonersam
12/3/2008, 05:26 PM
I remember the 2000 big12 championship game when KSU dropped a snap on a punt but picked it up and ran for a first down. The call on the field was that the a fumble cannot be advanced on 4th down and OU got the ball where it was fumbled......

I just was wondering if that rule has been removed because it wasnt mention saturday when Sam dropped the snap and scored.

Any insight guys??

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/3/2008, 05:28 PM
I believe the person that fumbles it can be the only person to advance it on 4th down. Is that correct?

rainiersooner
12/3/2008, 05:29 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhh! :)

The Maestro
12/3/2008, 05:34 PM
I remember the 2000 big12 championship game when KSU dropped a snap on a punt but picked it up and ran for a first down. The call on the field was that the a fumble cannot be advanced on 4th down and OU got the ball where it was fumbled......

I just was wondering if that rule has been removed because it wasnt mention saturday when Sam dropped the snap and scored.

Any insight guys??

Boy, you move to Antartica and turn into Debbie Downer!

Crimsontothecore
12/3/2008, 05:34 PM
Way to go Sam. I heard Gundy just challenged the play and now it's under review.;)

IBleedCrimson
12/3/2008, 05:39 PM
I remember thinking the same thing watching the play but I was in the room with a poke fan so I didn't mention it.

Paperclip
12/3/2008, 05:40 PM
I believe the person that fumbles it can be the only person to advance it on 4th down. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. Sooners also benefitted from that rule in 2002 at Missouri.

CobraKai
12/3/2008, 05:41 PM

That is correct. Only the ball carrier can advance it, so what Sam did was fine. The reason for this is to make sure anyone tackled on 4th down (since they have nothing to lose anyway) doesn't just "fumble" the ball forward and let his teammates scrum for it.

KingBarry
12/3/2008, 05:49 PM
That is correct. Only the ball carrier can advance it, so what Sam did was fine. The reason for this is to make sure anyone tackled on 4th down (since they have nothing to lose anyway) doesn't just "fumble" the ball forward and let his teammates scrum for it.

So, in the case of a fumbled snap, I guess the QB is defined as the ball carrier, despite the fact that he may have never had possession of the ball?

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2008, 05:51 PM

Yep, that was a famous play in the NFL where Ken Stabler fumbled forward on purpose and it was pushed forward again by another team mate and recovered in the endzone for a score by Oakland. The NFL inserted the rule after that season and I assume that's where the college game picked it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roller_(American_football)

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2008, 05:56 PM
So, in the case of a fumbled snap, I guess the QB is defined as the ball carrier, despite the fact that he may have never had possession of the ball?

Interesting point, but it is the only thing that makes sense. The center has "lateraled" the ball and does not have possession. Shotgun snaps get fumbled all the time the QB often picks it up and either runs or passes, and I'll bet there is wording in the rules for this.

1890MilesToNorman
12/3/2008, 05:59 PM
I believe Sam's fumble and score was a head to head ruling so it must have gone in some one's favor.