PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Bracket

Knippz
12/3/2008, 03:56 PM
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6598/playoffscs3.jpg (http://img390.imageshack.us/my.php?image=playoffscs3.jpg)
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/playoffscs3.jpg/1/w640.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img390/playoffscs3.jpg/1/)
Guy off Yahoo's formula. Break down the bracket.

Knippz
12/3/2008, 04:08 PM
Troy----------------------------------------------------Tulsa-----
-------Bama---------------------------------------OU------------
Bama -------------------------------------------------- Oklahoma
-----------------Bama--------------------OU---------------------
Boise St.-------------------------------------------------Ohio St.
--------Boise St.-----------------------------Tech----------------
Penn St.-------------------------------------------------Texas Tech
--------------------------USC vs OU-------------------------------
Ball St.-----------------------OU-------------------------TCU
---------USC----------------------------------TCU-----------------
USC -----------------------------------------------------Utah
------------------USC-----------------Texass----------------------
Cincinnati ----------------------------------------------- Boston College
----------Florida-------------------------------Texass---------------
Florida----------------------------------------------------Texass

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2008, 04:10 PM
that bracket shows why I m not for playoffs

cvsooner
12/3/2008, 04:46 PM
Why should we have to play Tech again? Didn't we settle that on the field? (Just kidding.)

sooner2b09
12/3/2008, 05:19 PM
Thats too many games. I think an 8 man playoff is too many games. All I want is a plus one format.

Sooner Among The Pack
12/3/2008, 06:01 PM
What I see is exactly what we are going to get...the Big XII Champ (Oklahoma) vs. the SEC champ (likely Florida) in the national title game. Any playoff scenario that includes a team from a conference like the Sun Belt is a bit comical. Much ado over nothing.

noobalicious
12/3/2008, 06:41 PM
I like it. All the D1 conferences' champions and then 5 at large bids. You're pretty much guaranteed to get the top 10 in.

Why shouldn't an undefeated team get their shot. If you're undefeated and win your conference, why not? I thought I heard somewhere that Utah had more wins against the BCS top 20 than Alabama. And yet Utah gets absolutely zero consideration.

The playoff starts when the bowls start, and whoever doesn't make the tourney goes to the traditional bowls. 1 game per week.

What's the knock on Troy? They were destroying LSU in death valley!!

The above format is the only fair way to do it. Plus you'd have 4 weeks of epic matchups.

Leroy Lizard
12/3/2008, 07:57 PM
Troy only played three decent teams all year, and lost to all three of them. They also lost to Louisiana-Monroe (which only has four wins this year). They got creamed by Oklahoma State by 31 points. Their wins are over the likes of Alcorn St. and Florida International.

In the meantime, Oklahoma State has lost only three games, to Texas, Tech, and Oklahoma. They took #1 Texas to the wire. Yet they get to stay home while Troy gets to complete for the national title?

And if Missouri wins this week, who would also get screwed? Tech? Oklahoma?

What a crock!!!!

SoonerEmpire
12/3/2008, 08:24 PM
I would like to see a playoff system implemented in college football like most people. However, I don't believe it will ever really happen (at least not anytime in the near future), and that's why I never b*tch about it. If it WERE ever to happen, I think 16 teams is too many. I think 8 teams would suffice. Hell, I'd even take a 4 team playoff for that matter. ANYTHING would be better than the system that is in place now.

But since ANY type of playoff will never happen, I like the idea of a +1 system. First order of business would be to add the Cotton Bowl (JerryWorld could be the new Cotton Bowl as a BCS bowl... just for the bowl, not the RRS though. That would stay at the State Fair). Now, that we have 5 bcs bowls, rather than stretching the games out during the first week of January, we would restore the "New Year's Tradition" by playing all 5 BCS bowls on January 1st. Then, the day AFTER the BCS bowls on January 2nd, there is a FINAL BCS standings which would be released based on the performance and wins/losses of the BCS games the day before. Whoever is #1 and #2 on January 2nd, again, AFTER the BCS games would meet a week later for the NC. The NC game would continue to rotate from BCS bowl to the next, every year just like now (that way, maybe... just MAYBE we could finally play for an NC close to home in Dallas. Hey, if LSU [Sugar], Florida, FSU, Miami [Orange], and USC [Rose] can earn the opportunity to play for it all at home every once in a while - or close to it, why can't we?)

Is it perfect? No. Far from it, I know. But at the very least, it would restore the New Year's Day tradition that has been dead forever. Adding the Cotton as a 5th BCS bowl would also POSSIBLY allow for another at-large team or two. Then whoever the top 2 teams are the day after would meet a week later. At the end of the day, it wouldn't completely solve the problem of who the best teams are and who the rightful national champion is, but in my opinion, it would be a little closer to accurate than what we have now, since University presidents are never going to go for the playoff system.

Rogue
12/3/2008, 08:33 PM
I like the 16 team bracket the best. I'd complain that all the Big XII are on one side this year, but oh well.

8 teams would still end up elitist. What do you do with Ball State?
Put them in instead of Tech?

I don't like putting the conference champs in automatically.
Troy with 4 losses in instead of any of the other Top 20 teams...no good.

+1 would be an improvement.
8 team bracket would be another good step.
16 team bracket would end most arguments.

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/3/2008, 08:57 PM
So as a National Semifinal you'd have Alabama vs. Florida and Oklahoma vs. Texas?

Who in their right mind wouldn't want to see those games?

Bradford's Pinky
12/3/2008, 10:34 PM
Brilliant, we beat Tech at home by 70 in second round, beat Texas in Norman in 3trd round. end up playing Bama or Florida in MNC.

Just like this year.... brilliant

Leroy Lizard
12/4/2008, 12:31 AM
Then, the day AFTER the BCS bowls on January 2nd, there is a FINAL BCS standings which would be released based on the performance and wins/losses of the BCS games the day before. Whoever is #1 and #2 on January 2nd, again, AFTER the BCS games would meet a week later for the NC.

OMG, can you imagine the hysterics that would occur on almost an annual basis? Who is #2?!?! The lobbying and running up the score would be incredible. If you are ranked #5, you have the chance of being elevated to #2 by crushing your opponent in a bowl game.

The unfairness of this system would be ridiculous. Consider the situation when the semifinal game pits #1 vs #2. The winner gets to play an opponent that had an easier time advancing to the game simply because they were ranked lower going in.

Leroy Lizard
12/4/2008, 12:35 AM
So as a National Semifinal you'd have Alabama vs. Florida and Oklahoma vs. Texas?

Who in their right mind wouldn't want to see those games?

I would love watching those games, but it's still not worth it to me. For one, when are you going to play the games? Dec 5 is already taken up by the CCGs, and you still have four weeks of games to play.

SoonerBorn68
12/4/2008, 12:55 AM
Top 4 BCS teams/winners play for championship.

Too easy. Keeps the bowls, adds 1 more game. It's by no means perfect, but it's as close to a playoffs as the bowls will allow.

Think of this. OU is in a 16 team bracket. Assuming the Sooners would win the CG they would have to play 4 games. How many of us could afford to go to 4 road games in a row? Would people even go to the first game thinking they want to go to a game deeper into the playoffs? If they used the Bowls as playoff venues could they sell out? Would there be any home games?

Football isn't like basketball or baseball. Asking 50K+ people to fill up stadiums possibly thousands of miles away 4 weeks in a row is stretch. Games would need to be a week apart for game preperation. Etc., etc., etc.

I'm in favor of a playoffs as much as anyone but I don't see a way to make it work past 4 teams--8 maybe.

6 w/byes for the top 2?