PDA

View Full Version : CBS sportscasters bash Big 12

Ton Loc
12/3/2008, 03:35 PM
CBS sportscasters bash Big 12
from Mel Bracht

A few years back when he worked for ABC, Gary Danielson covered the Big 12 Conference and enthusiastically talked up teams in the conference. Now, in his third season with CBS, he has become a Big 12 basher. He and play-by-play partner, Verne Lundquist, took several shots at the league in a conference call Tuesday afternoon to promote CBS’ telecast of the Southeastern Conference championship: No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 2 Florida at 3 p.m. Saturday.

The Rest:

http://blog.newsok.com/sportsmedia/2008/12/02/cbs-sportscasters-bash-big-12/

King Crimson
12/3/2008, 03:39 PM
i read where Will Muschamp (a former SEC DC) said where he'd love to gameplan against a SEC team since they weren't as hard as Big XII teams.

forget where. sorry, no link. feel free to discredit.

i guess if you are getting paid, you'll say what you need to.

though, if we can be stopped up front running we're beatable. TExas showed that.

yermom
12/3/2008, 03:51 PM
i'm pretty sure Texas is the only team to beat us on turnover margin as well

so you have to stop the run game and not turn the ball over on offense, and force turnovers

Texas still allowed us to score 35, they just scored more...

rainiersooner
12/3/2008, 04:01 PM
though, if we can be stopped up front running we're beatable. TExas showed that.

That's true. Although I attribute our lack of a run game in that game more to the O-Line beating themselves and Murray not being up to speed yet. He's finally starting to make those sick cuts and moves that open up the big runs.

OUMallen
12/3/2008, 04:04 PM
Fuel on the inferno.

KingBarry
12/3/2008, 04:04 PM
i'm pretty sure Texas is the only team to beat us on turnover margin as well

so you have to stop the run game and not turn the ball over on offense, and force turnovers

Texas still allowed us to score 35, they just scored more...

Good point. Everybody points up the loss of RR as the turning point, when we couldn't stop TX anymore.

But also, about the same time, we stopped scoring. Sam and the offense just looked...I don't know...intimidated. And against Texas, in the Cotton Bowl, you don't want to look intimidated.

I only saw the Sooners like this way one other time, and that was early against OSU in Stillwater. When the crowd was deafening.

We shook it off, but in Texas we froze up late and never had the chance to recover.

oupride
12/3/2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the post

OUMallen
12/3/2008, 04:24 PM
Good point. Everybody points up the loss of RR as the turning point, when we couldn't stop TX anymore.

But also, about the same time, we stopped scoring. Sam and the offense just looked...I don't know...intimidated. And against Texas, in the Cotton Bowl, you don't want to look intimidated.

I only saw the Sooners like this way one other time, and that was early against OSU in Stillwater. When the crowd was deafening.

We shook it off, but in Texas we froze up late and never had the chance to recover.

This is accurate.

UncleFester
12/3/2008, 04:36 PM
Not to go all Homer on everyone, but isn't it rather laughable to trash OU's defense when it's created 29 turnovers?

TopDawg
12/3/2008, 04:40 PM
It'll be interesting to see if Danielson is right about the current NFL prospects of the two conferences.

TopDawg
12/3/2008, 04:46 PM
Not to go all Homer on everyone, but isn't it rather laughable to trash OU's defense when it's created 29 turnovers?

Maybe not quite as laughable when that defense is ranked #60 in points per game allowed.

Personally, I think you've got to take all things into consideration. Our offense scores so quickly that our defense is on the field a lot more than most. Less time to make adjustments and whatnot. They have to defend more plays which usually means (a) more points allowed and (b) more turnovers forced. Some of the points are meaningless since they come in mop-up time, but some of the turnovers are easier because our offense has put the other team in obvious passing situations.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I don't really care how must respect or disrespect our defense gets as long as our TEAM keeps winning games.

UncleFester
12/4/2008, 11:46 AM
Great points, Dawg. I just think too many pundits are looking at the scoring and the yardage (412 yards a game) to conclude that the defense is the weak link on the team, when -- bottom line -- it's been mostly inconsequential, as you stated. What is more important is not only the heavy turnover advantage they bring, but OU leads the conference in stopping third downs, is second in sacks, and third in first downs allowed. This defense is making opportunities for the offense, not just serving as a speed bump to slow the other team trying to keep up with Team Bradford.

Those turnovers, by the way, are not just easy picks that are being racked up in mopup time. They're also leading the league in fumble recoveries, which leads me to believe that OU's defense gambles a lot in trying to stick ballhandlers in the gut. That opportunity mentality probably comes at the expense of sound overall "safe" defense. Can't say for sure, but just a hypothesis.

I sure don't think they're the 2000-2001 defense reincarnated, but the unit has its strengths that have undoubtedly helped us win vs. Tech and OSU. If people want to think defense will kill OU in a title match against Florida or 'Bama (or hell, Texas), then I guess let 'em think it.

What really shows the national intelligentsia doesn't get it is they don't talk about the horror show special teams for OU. There were only five KO returns for touchdowns in conference play, and guess who gave up three of them? THAT is what I'm afraid will be what hangs us in the end if we somehow blow this thing.

FirstandGoal
12/4/2008, 11:54 AM
Another thought on our defensive stats.

I wonder what our defense would be ranked if we had been in more close games this year and actually kept the first team in for most or all of most games?

I wish there were a way to take just 3 quarters of every game for us and crunch those numbers. I bet we would be seeing different results.