PDA

View Full Version : My conversation with a horn fan

Crimsontothecore
12/3/2008, 10:53 AM
A business acquaintance of mine is a born and bred horn fan. We were discussing the whole 3-way tie situation.

Me: So explain to me how OU's win over Tech somehow results in Texas being forgiven for losing to tech?

Horn: Because the way OU hammered them proved they were just a fraud. They don't deserve to be in the conversation.

Me: So your saying Texas shouldn't have to be accountable for losing to a Tech team you call a fraud?

Horn: The game was at their place and they needed a last second miracle play to win.

Me: Is there a new rule that says last second plays don't count? Are home wins not considered real wins?

Horn: Bottom line is Tech was lowest in the BCS out of the three teams so they don't have an argument.

Me: So you're saying that Tech is the worst of the three teams?

Horn: Definitely, don't you agree?

Me: So out of the three 1-loss teams, Texas lost to the worse team?

Horn: Well...yeah, but it's not that simple.

Me: Sounds simple to me. You're saying that OU lost to a great Texas team and Tech lost to a great OU team but Texas lost to a team that's a fraud, correct?

Horn: But we beat OU head-to-head!

Me: And Tech beat Texas head-to-head.

Horn: Those teams could play 10 more times and UT would win them all.

Me: But this isn't the NBA. You don't have to win a series. Would Texas like to play OU 10 more times?

Horn: Texas beat OU on a neutral field and Tech won in Lubbock.

Me: So you give more credit to a team for winning on the road?

Horn: Well, it's harder to win on the road.

Me: OU is 5-0 this year in true road games. Texas is 3-1.

Horn: But OU didn't have any tough road games.

Me: What? OU won in Stillwater by 20 points. Texas only beat OSU by 4 in Austin.

Horn: Texas also dominated Missouri.

Me: But that was in Austin so it's not really that impressive...kinda like Tech beating Texas in Lubbock, right?

This conversation went on and on but you get the idea. Funny how their own arguments are contradictory.

Aries
12/3/2008, 10:57 AM
Were you able to keep a straight face through all of that?

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2008, 11:06 AM
And your conclusion could be :

All that stuff was considered and OU got the nod on the 5th tie breaker.

And his conclusion would be:

Yeah, but I want UT to go to the CCG :(

Hot Rod
12/3/2008, 11:07 AM
It's funny how they try to argue things that don't have anything to do with how the BCS ranks teams.

Skysooner
12/3/2008, 11:08 AM
The whole discussion at Hornfans just has me mad right now. First I understood, now it is getting ridiculous. Let them suck on it awhile. We won by the rules that were in place. The Big 12 disucssion of those rules makes sense. You want the team with the highest BCS standing to have a shot at a national title. What if instead of being #2/#3, we were #2 and Texas was #7 in the BCS. Texas would go into the championship game due to the head-to-head and yet might never make the national title game.

oumartin
12/3/2008, 11:11 AM
I wanna see Texas argument if Oklahoma loses to Mizzou.

Because they are gonna get to go to the MNC if that happens. but they shouldn't as Tech and them will have identical records and Tech won the head to head

47straight
12/3/2008, 11:13 AM
Tell him Mack doesn't really care about head-to-head victories, so he shouldn't either. Else Mack wouldn't have voted how he did in 2006 after losing to Texas Aggy

SoonerinSouthlake
12/3/2008, 11:19 AM
Id venture to say that we have ALL had that exact coversation either with freinds, family and coworkers at least 10 times.

whorn freain logic...jeez!

cheezyq
12/3/2008, 11:23 AM
That's the hilarious thing about UT fans. They seriously have no leg to stand on. Their strongest leg is the "head-to-head" argument...until you kick that out from under them and they fall flat on their face.

OKLA21FAN
12/3/2008, 11:26 AM
A business acquaintance of mine is a born and bred horn fan. We were discussing the whole 3-way tie situation.

Me: So explain to me how OU's win over Tech somehow results in Texas being forgiven for losing to tech?

Horn: Because the way OU hammered them proved they were just a fraud. They don't deserve to be in the conversation.

Me: So your saying Texas shouldn't have to be accountable for losing to a Tech team you call a fraud?

Horn: The game was at their place and they needed a last second miracle play to win.

Me: Is there a new rule that says last second plays don't count? Are home wins not considered real wins?

Horn: Bottom line is Tech was lowest in the BCS out of the three teams so they don't have an argument.

Me: So you're saying that Tech is the worst of the three teams?

Horn: Definitely, don't you agree?

Me: So out of the three 1-loss teams, Texas lost to the worse team?

Horn: Well...yeah, but it's not that simple.

Me: Sounds simple to me. You're saying that OU lost to a great Texas team and Tech lost to a great OU team but Texas lost to a team that's a fraud, correct?

Horn: But we beat OU head-to-head!

Me: And Tech beat Texas head-to-head.

Horn: Those teams could play 10 more times and UT would win them all.

Me: But this isn't the NBA. You don't have to win a series. Would Texas like to play OU 10 more times?

Horn: Texas beat OU on a neutral field and Tech won in Lubbock.

Me: So you give more credit to a team for winning on the road?

Horn: Well, it's harder to win on the road.

Me: OU is 5-0 this year in true road games. Texas is 3-1.

Horn: But OU didn't have any tough road games.

Me: What? OU won in Stillwater by 20 points. Texas only beat OSU by 4 in Austin.

Horn: Texas also dominated Missouri.

Me: But that was in Austin so it's not really that impressive...kinda like Tech beating Texas in Lubbock, right?

This conversation went on and on but you get the idea. Funny how their own arguments are contradictory.

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

oupride
12/3/2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the post

oumartin
12/3/2008, 11:28 AM
here is what everyone is missing in the media it seems.

all three lost to each other in some way or fashion. Texas lost their head to head argument as soon as they lost.

Had OU lost any of its remaining games and still beat tech, It would be tech going to Kansas City,

Had OU lost to tech it would be tech heading to Kansas City

Had OU lost to OSU it would be tech heading to Kansas City.

Basically their only chance after Losing to tech was for tech to lose twice.

That didn't happen.

I'm so sick of people dismissing Tech because they got kicked around in Norman.

Crimsontothecore
12/3/2008, 11:55 AM
here is what everyone is missing in the media it seems.

all three lost to each other in some way or fashion. Texas lost their head to head argument as soon as they lost.

Had OU lost any of its remaining games and still beat tech, It would be tech going to Kansas City,

Had OU lost to tech it would be tech heading to Kansas City

Had OU lost to OSU it would be tech heading to Kansas City.

Basically their only chance after Losing to tech was for tech to lose twice.

That didn't happen.

I'm so sick of people dismissing Tech because they got kicked around in Norman.

Amen. My contention all along has been that OU's dismantling of Tech is just further evidence that the best team got the nod. The system worked to perfection.

StoopTroup
12/3/2008, 12:07 PM
Go throat punch him. :D ;)

instigator
12/3/2008, 01:23 PM
The whole discussion at Hornfans just has me mad right now. First I understood, now it is getting ridiculous. Let them suck on it awhile. We won by the rules that were in place. The Big 12 disucssion of those rules makes sense. You want the team with the highest BCS standing to have a shot at a national title. What if instead of being #2/#3, we were #2 and Texas was #7 in the BCS. Texas would go into the championship game due to the head-to-head and yet might never make the national title game.

I think that is really interesting. What would they say if it was like this but all the losses came to the same teams:
OU #2
Texas #7
Tech #8

Would they stop arguing then and concede or would they still scream about beating us?

Or how about if it was:
OU #2
Texas #7
Tech Unranked

What aobut then? Would they just concede or kick tech out (even though they lost to them) and say they beat us head to head?

Interesting stuff.

OUAlumni1990
12/3/2008, 01:36 PM
My favorite response to horn fans: if the Tech win over Texas was a fluke, what makes you think that Texas/OU wasn't a fluke? Apparently, the voters and computers suggest so...

JLEW1818
12/3/2008, 01:39 PM
WE BEAT OU HEAD TO HEAD, HEAD TO HEAD , HEAD TO HEAD DAMMIT

I hear that a lot

Hot Rod
12/3/2008, 01:46 PM
I think the BCS ranking importance should have nothing to with Tech being in the argument. They have the same record as OU and Texas.

If ESPN and Texas fans fail to realize that BCS ranking shouldn't be important, they need to realize that if USC loses to UCLA, then the non-BCS ranked Oregon State Beavers will be the Pac 10 champs and play in the Rose Bowl.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/3/2008, 06:26 PM
UT fans keep saying the lost on a "Miracle" pass with 1 second left and should have won.

They forget that they were pretty well handled for 3 quarters and that first 32 points didnt pop up on the board with 1 second to go.

Tech took the ball with 1 to go and with THE GREATEST OF EASE moved the ball downfield on them. And Crabreees grab wasnt all that spectacular.

Perhaps the real miracle is that they were able to stop the Tech Offense for a few series and climb back into the game in the first place.

Leroy Lizard
12/3/2008, 08:06 PM

Me: So if OU had struggled and barely beat Tech, then OU would be more worthy of playing for the conference title?

At that point, you've got him.

Crimsontothecore
12/3/2008, 10:53 PM
Me: So if OU had struggled and barely beat Tech, then OU would be more worthy of playing for the conference title?

At that point, you've got him.

True. Another point I made was that if OU had beat Texas, and then lost in Stillwater while Texas finished the remainder of the season undefeated, not a single Texas fan or ESPN personality would have argued for OU to win the south.