Okla-homey
12/3/2008, 08:04 AM
thus no blank check.

Chambliss wins second term in U.S. Senate
Defeats Jim Martin after arduous runoff campaign
By JIM THARPE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Republican U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss beat back a prolonged challenge from Democrat Jim Martin on Tuesday to win a second term in office after a bruising four-week runoff between the one-time University of Georgia fraternity brothers.

Chambliss’s double-digit victory dashed Democrats’ dreams of securing a filibuster-proof, 60-vote “super majority” in the Senate and buoyed a Republican Party battered by staggering losses in the Nov. 4 general election.

“Republicans still know how to win an election,” Republican National Committee Chairman Mike Duncan told hundreds of Chambliss supporters at the Cobb Energy Centre.

Chambliss said GOP volunteers from 43 states came to Georgia to assist his runoff bid, licking envelopes, calling voters and knocking on doors to get voters back to the polls.

“You’re the reason this happened,” the 65-year-old Moultrie lawmaker told cheering supporters. “Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.”

Martin, 63, called Chambliss to concede at 9:45 p.m. and addressed his supporters 15 minutes later at the Park Tavern.

“Tonight the voters of Georgia have spoken,” Martin, an Atlanta attorney, told his supporters. “I accept that decision.”

Anna Beck, 25, of Atlanta, who worked for the Martin campaign as deputy finance director seemed to sense the inevitable after major news organizations began to call the race at 9 p.m.

“I’m sorry for the turnout. I wish it could have been higher. [But] I don’t know what we could have done differently,” Beck said.

Chambliss and Martin — Sigma Chi frat brothers in the 1960s — faced off in a race that became the focus of U.S. politics in wake of the Nov. 4 general election.

Despite the gravity of the race and the media attention focused on the two candidates, turnout appeared to be just over half what it was in the general election.

SoonerStormchaser
12/3/2008, 08:31 AM
Thank God...now if only MN can make sure Stuart Smalley doesn't make it...

Okla-homey
12/3/2008, 08:39 AM

the stakes are lower now. Even if he pulls it off, its still 59 - 41.

SoonerStormchaser
12/3/2008, 08:58 AM
Yah...but with Olympia Snowe and a few of those NE Repubs occasionally switching sides on some core Repub issues, every little bit helps.

King Crimson
12/3/2008, 09:02 AM
half the turnout of the general, there's a loud mandate from the people.

bri
12/3/2008, 11:36 AM
Yes, and that mandate is "DON'T MAKE US HAVE TO VOTE AGAIN, *SSHOLES". :D

And for the record, I'm glad we fell short. Checks and balances make me happy in my pants.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/3/2008, 01:56 PM
My family in GA report to me that some significant percentage of black voters in GA went to the polls, voted for Barry and then left. Didn't vote for anything else. No wonder the Dem party ceded this to Saxby and didn't put up much of a fight. Barry even ignored the run-off.

Funny thing to learn that both guys running were Sigma Chi at UGA at the same time. Small world...

TheHumanAlphabet
12/3/2008, 01:59 PM

Stuart will not win this race by the voice of the people. Now what he does in the court or to manipulate the recount, who knows...

Reid is less likely to voice in as it would now be rather meaningless for them.

Oh, Stuart's true colors are coming out now. I knew he was a jerk and not very funny. He has only reinforced that belief.