PDA

View Full Version : Update on Bradford's Status

SoonerBacker
12/3/2008, 07:06 AM
Carey Murdock
Rivals.com College Football Editor

Norman, Okla. - Flash back to Oklahoma's 61-41 victory over Oklahoma State on Saturday night in Stillwater and picture OU quarterback Sam Bradford as he sticks out his left arm from his 6-foot-5 frame to shield himself as he scrambles away from potential tacklers.

Oklahoma State was able to get pressure on Bradford from blitzing linebackers on several occasions during their Bedlam matchup. On one instance Bradford used the stiff-arm move before leaping head over heels in a move that would make Johnny Knoxville and the Jackass crew envious.

Bradford walked away from that amazing flip, but it was the innocent stiff-arm maneuver that ended up tearing ligaments in Bradford's left hand on the Sooners' third offensive series of the game.

Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford was 30-of-44 passing for 370 yards and four TDs in the victory against Oklahoma State even though he had torn ligaments in his left hand.

"He was running away from a guy and stiff-arms him and he didn't even notice it," coach Bob Stoops said. "Then he said he went to hand the ball off with his left hand and he said it felt like he had a deflated ball."

What Bradford felt was his thumb bending backward because it was no longer supported by the ligaments in his hand.

"They came to the side and he didn't want to wrap it but then he realized his thumb wasn't working and they needed to wrap it so he'll have some type of support to hold the ball," Stoops said.

Bradford ended up playing the rest of the game with the torn ligaments in his hand, and obviously the Sooners didn't get on track offensively until after the injury.

But it did limit Bradford from taking snaps under center the rest of the way. Bradford had two fumbled snaps as Oklahoma was inside OSU's 5-yard line Saturday, but Stoops said he believes those problems will be behind his quarterback this weekend against Missouri in the Big 12 title game.

"We'll operate as usual. Already we'll have some type of splint where he'll be comfortable with and he looked good out there [Monday]," Stoops said. "We'll operate like we always have."

Oklahoma's training staff is working to fashion a workaround for Bradford's impairment throughout the week. They tested their first splint Monday, and they'll work to perfect it throughout the week.

"He feels comfortable with what they have in place and they'll have something even different in the game, but we feel confident that he'll be able to take snaps and do everything as usual," Stoops said.

On Sunday Stoops said that Bradford is likely to have surgery to repair the ligaments in his left hand following the Big 12 title game.

pott_2
12/3/2008, 07:24 AM
What Bradford felt was his thumb bending backward because it was no longer supported by the ligaments in his hand.

That freaks me out a bit...not about the upcoming game...just me..

okcsucks
12/3/2008, 07:44 AM
weak

XFollower
12/3/2008, 08:55 AM
Geez, Bradford only needs one good hand anyway....

Crimsontothecore
12/3/2008, 09:49 AM
I heard he may tie the injured hand behind his back....just to show off.

oupride
12/3/2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the post

OUster
12/3/2008, 12:26 PM
I heard he may tie the injured hand behind his back....just to show off.

Now THAT'S quality humor! I actually laughed out loud. Kudos

SoonerBacker
12/3/2008, 12:36 PM
weak

Care to elaborate?

JaminT
12/3/2008, 01:16 PM
We score more out of shotgun anyway. Hopefully this will force us to pass first, and maybe incorporate some direct snaps to get the rb's involved.

BermudaSooner
12/3/2008, 04:24 PM
We score more out of shotgun anyway. Hopefully this will force us to pass first, and maybe incorporate some direct snaps to get the rb's involved.

Everytime we do that look to the sideline thing for the play, I think it would be a perfect time to direct snap it to a RB. Half the time we do that the D is raised up and not paying attention. You probably need your linemen still down and looking ahead, but if you've got Sam looking to the sideline and Gresham standing up next the tackle looking over, you'd definitely catch the D sleeping at least once.

A-M
12/3/2008, 04:29 PM
Everytime we do that look to the sideline thing for the play, I think it would be a perfect time to direct snap it to a RB. Half the time we do that the D is raised up and not paying attention. You probably need your linemen still down and looking ahead, but if you've got Sam looking to the sideline and Gresham standing up next the tackle looking over, you'd definitely catch the D sleeping at least once.

This sounds good to me. Maybe Bob should try it in practice this week and see how it works.:D

tommieharris91
12/3/2008, 04:45 PM
Care to elaborate?

I think he's too banned to elaborate.