PDA

View Full Version : IT WAS A NICE RUN. Any sort of win in the Big XII Champ game = NO NC GAME!

soonerboy_odanorth
12/3/2008, 02:14 AM
It is pretty much over. Dangit. We can play with/beat anybody. But it will not matter whether we beat Mizzou or not.

We will not be playing for the National Championship.

No Chance.

The Marketing Machine that is The University of Texas has placed us dead and buried for any shot at the National Championship.

You would have thought that some of the great protests from the unwashed masses would have died down by now.

No such luck. If anything, the cacaphony is louder.

I think we win this weekend. I do think it is a very-too-close-for-comfort squeaker.

And then, I think both human polls vote the winner of the SEC Championship number 1 and Texas, with all their politicking, number 2. That's 2/3 of the formula. The only reason we are advancing to the Big XII Champ game is 1 vote in the coaches poll. That vote and maybe a couple others are so easily going to flip. So Texas is in, we are out...

...Win in the Big XII Championship notwithstanding.

Gosh... Ain't this BCMeSS GREAT!?!?!?

Still, guessin' we get a heckuva BCS game out of it... Maybe a rematch with Boise State!!! HOOORAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Chrisrokc
12/3/2008, 02:31 AM
I don't see how you figure this. Most people that voice in the human polls won't vote for a non conference champion for the championship game. Plus, even if test stays the same in the polls or advances slightly, our computer score will be much higher. We will be number 1 after this weekend in the computers and the human polls will be public. I doubt we drop. I bet we are number 1 in the bcs going into it.

RoaminSooner
12/3/2008, 02:37 AM
Suck it up dude....Our boy's are going to kick the living shiv out of Missouri. They're pissed with a massive chip on their shoulder with the entire country doubting us, talk about motivation to kick some arse. This is the year dude. Have faith!

Boomer Sooner

soonerboy
12/3/2008, 02:37 AM
and if they let a team that didn't even win its conference championship in to the NC game then the whole place will go absolutley nuckin futs

soonerboy_odanorth
12/3/2008, 02:39 AM
I don't see how you figure this. Most people that voice in the human polls won't vote for a non conference champion for the championship game. Plus, even if test stays the same in the polls or advances slightly, our computer score will be much higher. We will be number 1 after this weekend in the computers and the human polls will be public. I doubt we drop. I bet we are number 1 in the bcs going into it.

Stand by, young padawan. Things done got as bit freaky this year.

"Most people"!?!??

Oh... So you've talked to a lot of people with a vote? So silly my fears then....

Sorry for the sarcasm, and I appreciate your optimism, but politicking apparently mattered to various Athletic Department voter and good-ol-boy-phogey voters' opinions in the last vote.

I say again.... the difference in our playing in the Big XII Championship or not is ONE VOTE!

What makes you think that will hold whether we win or lose? The media tide is heavily against us, my friend....

Frozen Sooner
12/3/2008, 02:40 AM
Actually, the reason OU is in the title game is because we have a fairly solid lead in the computers. We could technically be trailing in both polls and still be ahead of Texas.

A win over Missouri only solidifies that lead, as we'll have defeated one of Texas' better wins.

Plus, it's unlikely that a whole lot of voters who were already voting OU ahead of Texas would switch after a conference title win while Texas sits idle. They'd already heard Texas whining for a week and kept OU in front. What would change?

Thesifer
12/3/2008, 02:57 AM
You're wrong on this. Oklahoma with a win over Missouri WILL be in the Championship game. With out .9800 Ranking in the computers, we won't be dropped to third. The people that DO have to worry, are Florida. They could go in and beat Alabama (Especially if its close) and not get in. Then it would be Ok - Tx in the Nat. Championship.

You obviously haven't done the computer math for this. For one, Alabama and Florida HAVE to play each other. So one of those will be out of the Equation. We had a higher computer ranking then Texas AND Alabama. Alabama was actually Third Place in the computers.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/3/2008, 02:58 AM
I am having a hard time with this new math....

Please explain how this works....

1/3 = Texas (hoomin) + 1/3 = Oklahoma (by one vote, hoomin) + 1/3 Oklahoma > 1/3 Texas + 1/3 Texas (the next vote) +1/3 Oklahoma (computer).....

Does not compute. If Texas gets the better bigger vote in both human polls next Monday then we are in the hurt locker.... Or Not!??? What am I missing?

WxGuy1
12/3/2008, 03:47 AM

1/3 = Texas (hoomin) + 1/3 = Oklahoma (by one vote, hoomin) + 1/3 Oklahoma > 1/3 Texas + 1/3 Texas (the next vote) +1/3 Oklahoma (computer).....

Does not compute. If Texas gets the better bigger vote in both human polls next Monday then we are in the hurt locker.... Or Not!??? What am I missing?

It's about POINTS, not the ranking. Go to http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/poll?poll=BCS and look at the "%" column for each of the 3 components of the BCS poll (Coaches Poll, Harris Poll, Avg of the Computer Polls). Even if we drop behind TX in the Coaches Poll next week (I don't see that happening, but even if it does) we'll STILL be ahead of TX in the BCS Poll as long as we don't lose too many points to TX. Our computer ranking shouldn't weaken (and actually should strengthen), so TX will need to gain a lot of points in the human polls to surpass us.

Even if OU wins this week, and FL-AL have a squeeker, I can't imagine that the voters won't put the SEC champ at #1. I'm confident that OU won't jump up to #1 no matter what happens. If Alabama wins, there's now way they'll drop below #1; if Florida wins, they'll probably jump up to #1 in the human polls and perhaps up to #2 in the computer polls. Of course, for all intents and purposes, it doesn't matter if OU is #1 or #2, since both will end up in the BCS Championship Game.

I do know that we better darn well win by a lot this week. I've heard too much about how OU has choked away our last several BCS bowls, and I think that another BCS bowl loss will really hurt the perception of OU in the bowls (and, therefore, affect how human voters deal with OU in the future). I'd like to say that we'll have no problem with Missouri, but we all know what can happen... The 2003 OU squad went from being called "one of the greater college football teams in recent history" to being destroyed by Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship Game. I remember the ill-will that surfaced when it was revealed that OU ("not even able to win its conference", they said) was still selected for the BCS Championship game (which we lost - UGH!). ANY team can lose almost ANY game ANY week (remember upset mania last year?), so I hope we focus on Missouri!

En_Fuego
12/3/2008, 03:50 AM
It's about where we came from..........."Land Thieves". And lets play "it" out.

Crucifax Autumn
12/3/2008, 03:52 AM
What he said! ^

OU_Sooners75
12/3/2008, 03:59 AM
soonerboy_odanorth....
If OU wins...
Where exactly will Texas gain the votes?
Where exactly will Texas gain in the computer polls?

We are currently ranked #2 in the BCS. If we win by 14+ points against Missouri, OU will gain the voters back...especially since they will be made public after this week. The human voters tried to screw us this past week. If OU wins, they will still be within the top 2 in the BCS. They will also pick up votes in the human and computer polls, only solidifying our trip to Miami.

Stop worrying so much. OU is in to play for their 8th NC with a win in Kansas City.

Jacie
12/3/2008, 06:54 AM
soonerboy_odanorth....
If OU wins...

We are currently ranked #2 in the BCS. If we win by 14+ points against Missouri, OU will gain the voters back...especially since they will be made public after this week. The human voters tried to screw us this past week. If OU wins, they will still be within the top 2 in the BCS. They will also pick up votes in the human and computer polls, only solidifying our trip to Miami.

Stop worrying so much. OU is in to play for their 8th NC with a win in Kansas City.

I understand what he is saying and I have the same concern. Last week OU had a very impressive win on the road and lost ground in both human polls. You can blame it all on that awful moaning sound coming from the south of Oklahoma. As odanorth pointed out, it hasn't died down, only increased in volume since the BCS came out. I wonder if there are any plans for another flyover this week? Or something worse? They might drop leaflets over the stadium, handout complementary 45-35 chairbacks, or try to arrange for Bevo to make a sideline appearance and this is in addition to The Mack Brown Show being broadcast during the game.

adoniijahsooner
12/3/2008, 06:56 AM
I am more comfortable this week than last, because coaches have to make their vote public after this week. If they were gonna screw us, they could have done it last weekend; but it will be hard for them to see that we are the big 12 champs and then say Texas belongs in front after spending 2 weeks behind us. The Harris poll may be a different story though.

'90 Sooner PE
12/3/2008, 08:38 AM
I don't think a two week cry-baby session is going to beguile a bunch more voters. Some people felt sorry for them last week (boohoo), but whining gets on most peoples nerves. Horns are titty-babies.

OUMallen
12/3/2008, 10:30 AM
Stand by, young padawan. Things done got as bit freaky this year.

"Most people"!?!??

Oh... So you've talked to a lot of people with a vote? So silly my fears then....

Sorry for the sarcasm, and I appreciate your optimism, but politicking apparently mattered to various Athletic Department voter and good-ol-boy-phogey voters' opinions in the last vote.

I say again.... the difference in our playing in the Big XII Championship or not is ONE VOTE!

What makes you think that will hold whether we win or lose? The media tide is heavily against us, my friend....

You are completely wrong. I thought at first that you posted this just for discussion. But now it appears you really believe this. Don't worry my friend. You're wrong and we'll be in Miami if we win.

boomersoonr7xchamps
12/3/2008, 10:36 AM

I hope you are right bro...I have been concerned about this since Sunday. Bleeding hearts for Texass...UNITE!!!! I hope it doesn't happen (UT to NC game)...the things i think we have going for us......Most voters won't vote a non-conference champion and the fact that the votes will be public.

Knippz
12/3/2008, 10:41 AM
It is pretty much over. Dangit. We can play with/beat anybody. But it will not matter whether we beat Mizzou or not.

No Chance.

The Marketing Machine that is The University of Texas has placed us dead and buried for any shot at the National Championship.

You would have thought that some of the great protests from the unwashed masses would have died down by now.

I think we win this weekend. I do think it is a very-too-close-for-comfort squeaker.

And then, I think both human polls vote the winner of the SEC Championship number 1 and Texas, with all their politicking, number 2. That's 2/3 of the formula. The only reason we are advancing to the Big XII Champ game is 1 vote in the coaches poll. That vote and maybe a couple others are so easily going to flip. So Texas is in, we are out...

Still, guessin' we get a heckuva BCS game out of it... Maybe a rematch with Boise State!!! HOOORAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!

What have you been smoking? Their efforts already failed. If we win, the voters will likely change their votes back to save face.

MojoRisen
12/3/2008, 10:47 AM
Watch out for Harris - they could easily gain 75 Points or so there...

I doubt they will do it too us - but it is most certainly possible.

SoonerMom2
12/3/2008, 10:56 AM
This week voter's names and votes are revealed -- look for those votes from last week to swing back to OU!

MojoRisen
12/3/2008, 11:13 AM
Seems like they are spending a lot of time prepping people for justification for a flip flop in the Harris- media folks....

Coaches are one thing - now if people were cheating and voting people erounously - AKA Mack Brown voting OU 15th in the poll or something.. That will definitely change.

Assuming that was happening. SO any gains UT may make - could be lost by some voters having to be more credible.

Ain't much difference between 2 & 3 - could easily flip flop - that is a reality...

There is nothing that sets precident this year with these voters.

We already witnessed a drop in the polls after a much bigger victory on the road. NOOOOOOOT LOGICAL FOLKS -

We should have a rebuttle- But I firmly agree with how stoops is handling this - he can only controll what takes place on the field- and that is all he is really concerned about controlling.

12th Man is needed this year....

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2008, 11:21 AM
Voters last week changed their votes in both polls specifically to influence the big12 tie breaker. There is no other explanation for Florida slipping after thumping a ranked team on the road. The voters knew that it didn't hurt the gators so, they moved the horns up for a week. That is a misuse of power by the BCS voters and something I'm sure the various conferences didn't foresee when they put BCS rankings in their tie breaker rules. Now that the issue is history, I expect the vote to be more rational next week - especially with the votes being published.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/3/2008, 12:00 PM
:D

Mallen... Yes. I am just stirring the cyber discussion pot. (I like to do that on occassion. Heh.) No, I don't really believe it...

Rather, I'm engaging in a little wHorn logic and illustration of public perception of this mucked up system we have.

We and the Big XII are taking a ton of heat over a system very few really understand.

BTW, I liked Bebee's blurb to the media... that the system was put together to offer the best possible chance of getting a Big XII team into the National Championship game, and that he's not so sure that the tiebreaker as it exists does need revision, despite all the weepin' and a wailin'.

('Course that means the onus is squarely on us to take care of a pretty important piece o' bidness this Saturday.)

Tigerman550
12/3/2008, 12:11 PM
If you guys win this Saturday, you're in Miami... no doubt.

Frozen Sooner
12/3/2008, 12:28 PM

Remember two weeks ago when OU led in both polls but UT was ahead?

They take the percentage of each component and add them together. They don't just average the ordinals.

MI Sooner
12/3/2008, 12:50 PM
soonerboy_odanorth....
If OU wins...

You could have said the same thing last week, but they gained votes. Not to mention, if we beat Mizzou by less than UT, you'll see that argument trotted out.

We don't have much room to move up. We're already number one in most of the computer rankings. There are a couple of computer rankings that we lead Texas by two. If that team between us drops (due to losing, or an impact of the CCGs on their SOS), we may not gain much in the computers, and I could possibly se us lose ground. Our big hope is that we win and either UF, Bama, or both slide in between us and UT. Then we're golden.

One other factor to watch for. Most people think FL should go over UT if they win the CCG. Watch for some of those voters to drop UT to fifth or so to ensure it happens. That's why I think a Florida win helps us. Voters will worry that the SEC will be left out and drop UT (or maybe us, uh oh).

Lott's Bandana
12/3/2008, 12:56 PM
The continuing media campaign, especially with "nationwide polls" is to give coaches the false comfort that if they do vote whorn ahead of us this next week, they won't get decimated by public opinion because this week:

WE GET TO SEE THEIR VOTES

Whatever happens, that particular nugget makes this very interesting.

Leroy Lizard
12/3/2008, 01:15 PM
Why would they swing back to OU?

JLEW1818
12/3/2008, 01:24 PM

No Chance.

Your not very smart. I'll take common sense, and BCS expert Brad Edwards opinions over yours. Please come back here on Sunday so I can laugh at you.

JLMSOONER
12/3/2008, 01:29 PM
I agree with BoulderSooner79. All of the Tom Foolery last week was to influence the CCG attendee from the south div. It almost worked, but not quite. It wouldn't have taken many votes ranking us really low to have been successful. I think it will line itself out this week since votes do become public.

JLEW1818
12/3/2008, 01:33 PM
We will be ahead of texas in both humans polls if we win this weekend.

OUAlumni1990
12/3/2008, 01:49 PM
You're wrong on this. Oklahoma with a win over Missouri WILL be in the Championship game. With out .9800 Ranking in the computers, we won't be dropped to third.

You are 100% correct. Even if its the ugliest win ever by 1 pt over Mizzou, we wont drop behind Texas. The computers simply will not reward Texas by not playing over OU who plays in the ccg.

I'm predicting a nice pretty win over Mizzou and voters will have all but forgotton about Texas and Sammy wins the Heisman. Keep the faith!!

Big12Mamma
12/3/2008, 01:50 PM
and if they let a team that didn't even win its conference championship in to the NC game then the whole place will go absolutley nuckin futs

I think this pretty much sums it up. Very good point.

When, just when will everyone be satisfied with the BCS? Dare I ask...

I-Bleed-Orange
12/3/2008, 03:21 PM
1st off i would like to congradulate OU on their season as well as their being able to go to KC. Even tho i wud have much prefered Texas going to the CCG i wish yall the best so that you could rep another (assuming we go to a BBCS bowl) that cud rep the BIg XII this year. Anyways, I am prob one of the most optomistic of horn fans but jumping OU is comp out of my mind unless u lose.

This on the other hand...

[QUOTE=Thesifer;2513052]You're wrong on this. Oklahoma with a win over Missouri WILL be in the Championship game. With out .9800 Ranking in the computers, we won't be dropped to third. The people that DO have to worry, are Florida. They could go in and beat Alabama (Especially if its close) and not get in. Then it would be Ok - Tx in the Nat. Championship.

wud be a much more likely scenario (tho still a long shot). Plus I wud love to play yall 1 more time for all the marbles...

boomermagic
12/3/2008, 03:32 PM
I believe we control it now.. Win and we are in...

JLEW1818
12/3/2008, 03:36 PM
I love the conference championship game. Ya I'm glad we get a chance at Miami, but just being able to watch the Sooners play another football game pleases me.

HappyClappyMackBrown
12/3/2008, 04:20 PM
If OU wins they will be in the national championship game.period.

The coaches would NEVER have Texas leap us after a victory over Mizzou. If we win the coaches poll there is no possible way for them to get in over us.

Im more worried about a repeat of the Oklahoma Kansas State big 12 championship game, then the idea of Texas jumping us.

Collier11
12/3/2008, 04:22 PM
Why would they swing back to OU?

A few reasons

The votes will now be public, therefore the same pansies that thought we were good enough to be #2 after whooping TT and then dropped us to even out the Big 12 tie breaker will now go back to OU, why?

We will be Big 12 champions, the team in the game can be argued, the fact that we would be conf champs cannot be argued

The rankings will be public so those who had an ax to grind or a point to make will be seen for what they are if they dont switch back. AKA, someone who might have ranked us out of the Top 10, etc..

One of the SEC teams will lose, that will mean that a few if not a lot of their votes will go to us as #2

BermudaSooner
12/3/2008, 04:37 PM
Despite odanorth's mischief making, there is some concern. OU WILL lose distance on Texas in the computers if Florida wins, and a little bit of distance if Bama wins. It isn't about Texas gaining on us, but rather us losing distance on Texas. We all saw what happened to our computer rankings when we beat the #12 team--watch what happens when Florida beats the #1 team.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2510510#post2510510

Good news is even with a monsterous swing in the computers, the voters would still need to continue to move to Texas to put them in.

IBleedCrimson
12/3/2008, 05:25 PM
It would take a crazy swing by the voters to keep us out of a title game, even if we just squeak by mizzou. That's not gonna happen to the extent needed for tx to play for title game. Plus polls aren't anonymous this week

soonerboy_odanorth
12/3/2008, 06:19 PM
Your not very smart. I'll take common sense, and BCS expert Brad Edwards opinions over yours. Please come back here on Sunday so I can laugh at you.

Why wait until Sunday? (And it's "You're" not "Your", bright boy.)

Jdog
12/3/2008, 09:43 PM
Suck it up dude....Our boy's are going to kick the living shiv out of Missouri. They're pissed with a massive chip on their shoulder with the entire country doubting us, talk about motivation to kick some arse. This is the year dude. Have faith!

Boomer Sooner

had faith until KSU, LSU USuC, Boise, WV - sucks don't it

JLEW1818
12/3/2008, 11:02 PM
Why wait until Sunday? (And it's "You're" not "Your", bright boy.)

You do not know anything about the BCS

o0Dan0o
12/3/2008, 11:17 PM
The point is that, by the numbers, TU leads us in the polls by a combined 0.0014%. We lead them by 0.04% in the computer polls. I have a feeling that some of the voters tried to influence last weeks polls by putting TU first and not ranking OU, given the huge amount of ground TU made up. They can't do that this week without facing the consequences.

The real problem that TU faces is that Either Bama or Florida is going to take the top spot in both human polls after this week (between all the hype and the Florida love). They simply won't be able to gain enough in the human polls to overcome the significant computer lead.
Dan

JLEW1818
12/3/2008, 11:20 PM
So what logic is the person that created this thread using?

tooslow
12/4/2008, 01:20 AM
Has anyone heard about Cincinatti playing Hawaii this weekend? I got this info from Sports Illustrated, by the way. Florida beat Hawaii and we beat Cincy. Here is the Colley Matrix computer numbers if OU, Florida, and USC win this weekend:

1. OKLAHOMA (12-1) 0.94144

2. TEXAS (11-1) 0.94002

3. FLORIDA (12-1) 0.93732

Now, the same situation with Hawaii beating Cincy:

1. FLORIDA (12-1) 0.94088

2. TEXAS (11-1) 0.93956

3. OKLAHOMA (12-1) 0.93810

I fully expect to lose a small amount of computer love if Cincy loses. I also expect the human voters to make up for their action from last week by giving alot more support to the Big XII champ(as long as it is OU :D). A small bump from the human voters will more than allow a small decrease in the computer ratings. :)

JLEW1818
12/4/2008, 01:23 AM
I'm glad Cincy is playing after us, it gives me something worth watching.... wow I'm gonna be drunk

BigRedJed
12/4/2008, 01:25 AM
Deer lord. Has anyone who has posted in this thread actually ever read one of soonerboy_odanorth's game week threads before? Froze, fercryinoutloud?

tommieharris91
12/4/2008, 01:36 AM
Despite odanorth's mischief making, there is some concern. OU WILL lose distance on Texas in the computers if Florida wins, and a little bit of distance if Bama wins. It isn't about Texas gaining on us, but rather us losing distance on Texas. We all saw what happened to our computer rankings when we beat the #12 team--watch what happens when Florida beats the #1 team.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2510510#post2510510

Good news is even with a monsterous swing in the computers, the voters would still need to continue to move to Texas to put them in.
Ohh... from that same thread:

Wrong. A win over Mizzou will likely push OU to #1 in all computers. OU will very likely pass Texas in the Colley Matrix (is this your "KM" computer?) with a win over Mizzou. The win over Mizzou should put OU #1 in the Anderson & Hester computer. Same with Billingsley. OU already has the #1 spot in the Massey computer. You say Texas is #1 in that computer right now. OU right now has a 6.52 edge over Florida in Sagarin's computer. OU is playing the Sagarin #22, while Florida is playing the Sagarin #3 team. That still might not be enough of an edge to put Florida ahead of OU. If it is, the Sagarin rating will be one that is dropped next week.

tommieharris91
12/4/2008, 01:39 AM
Has anyone heard about Cincinatti playing Hawaii this weekend? I got this info from Sports Illustrated, by the way. Florida beat Hawaii and we beat Cincy. Here is the Colley Matrix computer numbers if OU, Florida, and USC win this weekend:

1. OKLAHOMA (12-1) 0.94144

2. TEXAS (11-1) 0.94002

3. FLORIDA (12-1) 0.93732

Now, the same situation with Hawaii beating Cincy:

1. FLORIDA (12-1) 0.94088

2. TEXAS (11-1) 0.93956

3. OKLAHOMA (12-1) 0.93810

I fully expect to lose a small amount of computer love if Cincy loses. I also expect the human voters to make up for their action from last week by giving alot more support to the Big XII champ(as long as it is OU :D). A small bump from the human voters will more than allow a small decrease in the computer ratings. :)
Yep.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126107

If that happens and Sagarin puts OU at #2 (and assuming all other computers have OU #1), OU's computer score will be .990, meaning a .01 gain.

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2008, 03:19 AM
Deer lord. Has anyone who has posted in this thread actually ever read one of soonerboy_odanorth's game week threads before? Froze, fercryinoutloud?

Er.

No?

sendbaht
12/4/2008, 03:41 AM
We win the Big 12th game we will wear white, we win big we wear red to the NC game. Not sure where I come up the the color part but it sounds good.

We WILL be in the game with a win!!

JLEW1818
12/7/2008, 03:39 PM

No Chance.

Hey Jackass, you still saying we wont get in?