PDA

View Full Version : Leach in Seattle?

The Maestro
12/2/2008, 04:34 PM
So says an interweb rumor. Wouldn't surprise me. He could turn that program around in a year. Seattle is way more his speed than Lubbock.

We shall see...

Sorry, no link. Just a very reliable source! ;)

OklahomaTuba
12/2/2008, 04:38 PM
Why would Seattle be more his speed???

They love him at Tech. The only reason he would leave is to get away from Stoops and Brown and have a real chance at winning it all. Besides that, I could see the man coaching at Tech for 20+ years.

The Maestro
12/2/2008, 04:42 PM

They love him at Tech.

Seriously? Mike Leach's personality in the northwest? The hippie Starbuck's crowd versus folks who live in west Texas? The dude is eccentric and I think it is safe to say that Seattle is more flavorful than Lubbock.

Tech might love him...but Tech is in Lubbock.

I'd bet on Washington be bowl eligible NEXT year if Leach were their coach. Lots of offense on his team and very few good defenses to stop them.

TMcGee86
12/2/2008, 04:43 PM
I really thought he would take the UCLA job. Maybe they didn't offer it to him, but if they did I can't see him taking Washington after turning that down.

Unless maybe he thinks the expectations would be less.

I'm still hoping he goes to Awebrun

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/2/2008, 04:44 PM

They love him at Tech. The only reason he would leave is to get away from Stoops and Brown and have a real chance at winning it all. Besides that, I could see the man coaching at Tech for 20+ years.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Even if it is "just Lubbock", it is in a fertile recruiting ground in west Texas, where they are football crazy and that university will throw money to keep him there. He has made it a relivant program that may be able to compete with Oklahoma and Texas one day and besides, he basically owns Lubbock. I don't think Seattle is more his speed, after all, he has been in Lubbock for 9 years now.

BillyBall
12/2/2008, 04:45 PM
he has been in Lubbock for 9 years now.

Poor Bastard...

Dan Thompson
12/2/2008, 04:46 PM
He would drive USC nuts. SHOW ME THE MONEY.

badger
12/2/2008, 04:46 PM
Tech, like Kentucky, were both sub-par schools in their respective conferences that needed something quirky to stay with the long term powerhouses that had already established themselves.

Quite frankly, Leach has carried Tech as far as he can. They'll never have the respect in the media because they don't have comparative numbers of alums in the NFL, ESPN or around the country's media like Texas, Oklahoma et al do.

Washington, however, would be a place that could really embrace a Leach-type and they would give him time to implement his system (unlike Michigan, which is probably already trying to figure out a way to get rid of Rich Roddy).

First, Washington hasn't won very much (if it all, lol @ 0-12) lately, so they'll be patient.

Second, they have a huge alumni and student fanbase that will show up to games no matter what. Think Texas A&M without the weirdo corps.

Third, they used to win, so they will pay him to bring in wins. When they were seeking a coach last time, they openly said they would pay top dollar to bring in a top coach. Yes, Willingham was a top coach then.

For those of you that went up there earlier this year, you all know that their fanbase is dying for something positive (Husky fan: "Hi, Sooner. Welcome to Seattle! Please don't beat us by too many points!") and Leach could be that positive.

:P Besides, what better for a pirate captain than his own pirate ship? I bet they could get one of those party boats off UW's stadium to blast a few TD cannons and raise a Jolly Roger for Mikey.

Bosley
12/2/2008, 04:50 PM
I can see it, I really can. He'd do well in the Pacific Northwest.

Collier11
12/2/2008, 04:57 PM
Good riddance, I love the guy but get the hell out. I hope he goes up there and beat Carroll in yr one. The thing is, he is losing crabtree and Harrell, UW while lacking overall talent, has a good QB who is only going to be a jr

soonerstan56
12/2/2008, 04:59 PM
Saw this in the Seattle Times.Down around the third story.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/huskyfootball/index.html#034890

Stan

The Maestro
12/2/2008, 05:01 PM
Always third choice in Lubbock.

Seattle and UW? First choice in about a four or five state region.

No brainer. Some of you think more highly of Lubbock than you should...must have never been there.

yermom
12/2/2008, 05:06 PM
he is Tech's offensive coordinator too

they would so be screwed if he left

soonerstan56
12/2/2008, 05:24 PM
Yermom,I hadn't thought of that but you are so correct.Leach leaves and the offense goes with him.The Red Raiders would be starting over completely.

Stan

yermom
12/2/2008, 05:32 PM
the idea of him playing against Mike Stoops every year is kinda interesting

not to mention the recruiting he could do in Texas

Sooner04
12/2/2008, 05:42 PM
It would be harder for us to sign the quarterbacks he offers if he goes to Washington.

yermom
12/2/2008, 05:54 PM
:D

Frozen Sooner
12/2/2008, 06:03 PM
Always third choice in Lubbock.

Seattle and UW? First choice in about a four or five state region.

No brainer. Some of you think more highly of Lubbock than you should...must have never been there.

Which four or five states would those be?

USC is the dominant recruiting force west of the Rockies. You'll notice that the last time Washington was a force was right as USC was climbing back up the mountain.

The Maestro
12/2/2008, 06:08 PM
Good point, Frozen. Okay...SECOND Choice! But first choice to many in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming! You know...those football hotbeds!

Hell, Washington trumps TT any day!

Monster Zero
12/2/2008, 06:16 PM
Hey - nice tagline.

No big deal, just sayin'.

Frozen Sooner
12/2/2008, 06:16 PM
Heh.

I'd like to see what Leach could do in the Pac-10.

Better yet, I'd love to see him have access to a major media market. :D

Oregon already runs the Blue Hen spread and had a ton of success with it last year until Dixon got hurt.

And it isn't like USC can sign EVERY kid, so yeah-he'd probably be able to scrape up more talent than he can at Tech. Go the Don James route: build your OL from Washington farm boys, then recruit the hell out of LA.

soonerstan56
12/2/2008, 10:21 PM
Here is an update to the blog on the Leach situation at Washington.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/huskyfootball/index.html#034905

Seems to be a bidding war so at the very least Mike is going to get a nice raise.

Stan

SoonerAcesUp
12/2/2008, 10:30 PM
This year might be the pinnacle for Tech in the Big XII. They just aren't going to compete for a championship year in and year out with OU and Tejas. I see plenty of opportunity for him to take the Washington job and make them a winner in the PAC 10. My money is on him leaving for the NW.

sooner59
12/2/2008, 10:56 PM
From the comments after the article from Lubbock, it sounds like you-dub fans really want Leach. If he leaves, does Tech hire another Sooner coordinator? It worked pretty well last time.

WA. Sooner
12/3/2008, 12:20 AM
I'd stay at tech. UW doesn't have anything to offer. Bad stadium, Poor weather, High cost of everyday living. Just a bad sports town. Also they just got turned down for the 150 mil they wanted to improve the place.