PDA

View Full Version : Countering the Whiners

cheezyq
12/2/2008, 03:33 PM
It's no big deal, but after the incessant griping about how UNFAIR the system is, I've launched a blog representing my frustration with the media. No conspiracy stuff here (well, not much anyway), just solid logic to put the legions of morons in their place.

http://sportsmediawar.blogspot.com

Our side needed a voice, that's all.

Thanks,
Cheez

Soonersince57
12/2/2008, 04:42 PM
Good site and good arguments.

RedRum
12/2/2008, 04:55 PM
Good site. you have one typo to correct:

2. Texas beat OU "head-to-head" - ...and Texas Tech beat Texas head-to-head, and OU beat Texas head-to-head. Let's break this down.

I think that should be OU beat Texas TECH head-to-head.

Sooner1979
12/2/2008, 05:00 PM
Good site and arguments...You did forget one thing though, and if it is on there, many sorries...

OU was the only team out of the 3 that won a "Big Game" on the road against a ranked opponent...

That should be the 5th Tie breaker...Compare the quality wins against losses...

Knippz
12/2/2008, 05:00 PM
Great blog! I've posted it a couple of times already.

cheezyq
12/2/2008, 05:18 PM
Good site. you have one typo to correct:

2. Texas beat OU "head-to-head" - ...and Texas Tech beat Texas head-to-head, and OU beat Texas head-to-head. Let's break this down.

I think that should be OU beat Texas TECH head-to-head.

Thanks! I'll correct it.

cheezyq
12/2/2008, 05:23 PM
Good site and arguments...You did forget one thing though, and if it is on there, many sorries...

OU was the only team out of the 3 that won a "Big Game" on the road against a ranked opponent...

That should be the 5th Tie breaker...Compare the quality wins against losses...

I did put it on there, but my writing style is, well, chaotic to be honest. I'm not surprised that some points were missed. :)

I never thought of using the quality wins as a tiebreaker. I like the idea. It's less biased than the human poll part of the BCS.

Ton Loc
12/2/2008, 05:27 PM
Check out ESPN's Corrections Page. It has been updated since October.

Don't miss the spot where it says Submit an Error :D :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/corrections

At ESPN, our reputation and credibility with viewers, readers and listeners are of paramount concern. While our goal is always to be accurate and fair, occasionally we will present an erroneous assertion of fact. Significant errors of fact will be corrected in a clear and timely manner, with appropriate prominence.

Correctable errors involve a significant factual mistake, or materially change the implication or connotation of the reporting. This policy is not intended to cover inconsequential factual errors, such as minor statistical mistakes, inadvertent and immaterial misidentifications, minor inaccuracies in a developing story or font errors that don't impair the viewers' understanding of a story.

Each unit at ESPN - such as Studio, Remote, Magazine, Radio, ESPN.com and other networks -- will implement this policy in a manner applicable to its medium. Corrections of significant factual errors across all media, as warranted, will be posted on ESPN.com's corrections page for a period of time.

ESPN produces 24/7 programming and services, across many platforms and under fierce deadline pressures. Mistakes are inevitable. A meaningful policy for correcting significant errors will engender trust with viewers, listeners and readers. ESPN's willingness to correct mistakes, as necessary, is directly proportional to our credibility with our audiences. ESPN will regularly review and amend the policy as warranted.

Bud_Wilkinson
12/2/2008, 06:15 PM
Great read and rationale. How do we link this up to a Facebook group?

Jacie
12/2/2008, 07:14 PM
It is nice to see people on OUr side fighting back but the fact is, they can overwhelm us by sheer force of numbers.

At some point I expect the rest of the country including the media to get tired of hearing it and turn on them (like they did us when we got jobbed and everyone knew it).

Texas fans = crybabies

swooperman
12/2/2008, 07:26 PM
Here's a story from MSNBC that says it best:

Go undefeated or stop griping

It appears from the latest BCS rankings that Florida and Oklahoma will play for the national title. Florida will likely knock off currently unblemished Alabama in the SEC championship game, while Oklahoma will do the same to Missouri in the Big 12 version.

That will leave Florida and Oklahoma in, and everybody else – including Texas, USC, Alabama, Penn State, Texas Tech, Utah, Boise State, even Ball State – out. And among those eliminated from the competition, there will certainly be some big-time, Division I-A grousing.

Listen up, those who don’t make it: You have no case. None. Well, maybe Utah, Boise State and Ball State, since they went undefeated. (Again, I’m assuming ‘Bama gets eaten by Gators.)

But unless you win all your games, you have no argument. None. When you lose even one game under this highly flawed arrangement, you have relinquished the moral high ground. When you lose a game, now you’re just like everybody else, clamoring for attention, desperate to be recognized, angry about how unjust the system is.

If you’re a fan of any of those schools and you’re not on a campaign to get a playoff system installed – and incidentally, it won’t happen, but knock yourself out and fight the good fight anyway – your complaints are falling limply to the ground like an incomplete pass on the last play of a close game.