PDA

View Full Version : Texas should be fined or withdraw from the Big 12 Conference completely!

MojoRisen
12/2/2008, 02:52 PM
Big 12 officials need to take side and stand by their guns and shut TEXAS the F UP. This policy was agreed too prior to the season by all parties as the official tie breaker...

If they want to overstep their bounds beyond last week as an independant they should be punished monetarily and or should withdraw from the conference completely.

BIg 12 needs to come down on Texas this week if this continues. Thoughts :pop:

Scott D
12/2/2008, 03:00 PM
For what? I agree that the way the system is set up right now it sucks. The BCS ranking as a tie breaker is used too early in the Big-12 process. The SEC and ACC whom they love to harp about on ESPN actually use it as a tie-breaker but not until like tiebreaker #7. Besides, just because the Big-12 is looking at the rule doesn't mean they are going to change it.

What ESPN doesn't mention is that in at least the SEC, every tie-breaker favors Oklahoma until you get to tiebreaker 7B.

Saying Texas should go away is about as dumb as Texas fans saying they should try to get into the SEC because they got jobbed. They have a right to be upset, and a valid reason to be upset. Plenty of folks here would still be going nuts if Texas was the one going to the CCG instead of Oklahoma.

bri
12/2/2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah. I mean, it isn't like they're actively trying to sabotage the league's big money-making championship game or anything.

Oh, wait. Never mind. (http://jvbowl.com/) :D

MojoRisen
12/2/2008, 03:07 PM
Texas agreed to the System before the season... Mack was fine to argue last week.

He needs to complain about the BCS - not the BIG 12 System he agreed too.

I see monitary fine comming down in the 6-7 figure range if he doesn't knock that off.

OUTrumpet
12/2/2008, 03:09 PM
What ESPN doesn't mention is that in at least the SEC, every tie-breaker favors Oklahoma until you get to tiebreaker 7B.

Or under the ACC or C-USA, OU would still be the Big 12 rep.

aurorasooner
12/2/2008, 03:10 PM
1st, the Big 12 conference hasn't got the balz to come down on Texas. 2nd The Big 12 got exactly what they wanted. One team in the BCS CC game. An OU loss in the Big 12 CC game puts Texas in the game, and an OU win puts either OU or Texas in the BCS CCG (Probably OU but Texas still has an outside shot depending on if we beat Mizzou convincingly).
] A begging Mack Brown along with all these prostituting Texas alums/students actually assured the Big 12 of having one team in the BCS CC game and basically cut USC out of the equation. The Big 12 office is kissing Texas' azz right now because Texas did all the begging/whining/prostituting while the Big 12 office just sat back and maintained their self-respect. Beebe's probably got a picture of Mack Brown on his desk, and case of 12 year old scotch being delivered to Mack right now.

birddog
12/2/2008, 03:13 PM
i just want to point out the fact that after the oregon game everyone called us sore losers, crybabies, etc. now that we're on the right side of disappointment, texas is there doing the crying and everyone (most) thinks they got screwed.

what i find to be the greatest thing of all is that TEXAS IS THE ONE CRYING!! (whether valid or not)and it's over something much bigger than an out of conference game.

feels good to be us.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/2/2008, 03:14 PM
Eff the Texas schools! I want the Big 8 back!

BoulderSooner79
12/2/2008, 03:25 PM
We must allow our Longhorn friends to work their way through the phases of grief and loss. I think they are stuck on the anger phase right now. Eventually, they will get to the acceptance phase where they can begin to invest their energies in a positive manner. And that would be preparing to play an over-rated Utah team in a bowl they don't want to go to.

:P :P :P

Scott D
12/2/2008, 03:39 PM
Straight from the Commissioner's mouth

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said Tuesday that the conference will reassess the divisional championship tiebreaker that left Texas out of the conference title game but that rushing to the conclusion that it needs to be changed would be a mistake.

"Any tiebreaker system is difficult and will leave teams disappointed," Beebe said. "When the tiebreaker was written I was not in the league but they wanted to put in the team that had the best chance to play in the national championship game."

Despite identical records and a loss to Texas, Oklahoma advanced to the Big 12 championship game in Kansas City because the Sooners are ranked higher in the BCS standings.

"I'm not so sure that this isn't the best way to do it," Beebe said. "I understand the argument about head-to-head and it is a strong point, but as a lot of voters looked at it, and as the committees that select basketball tournament participants look at it, 'What team would you least want to play now?'"

Using the various tiebreakers of the ACC, Conference USA, MAC and SEC -- other conferences with two divisions -- Texas would have advanced to the Big 12 title game.

In the SEC, the team with the highest BCS ranking advances, unless the two teams are within five places of each other.

"This was a perfect storm," Beebe said. "You can't create a rule that accounts for every scenario. To have teams ranked second and third, that margin is so thin."

Beebe addressed the SEC tiebreaker rule.

"Let's say that the eighth-ranked team in the BCS is in the same division as the third-ranked," Beebe said. "If the eighth-ranked team beat the third-ranked team on a last-second play at home, sending the eighth-ranked team, that would defeat the purpose of trying to send the team with the best chance of winning a national championship."

Beebe said he and Texas coach Mack Brown have exchanged e-mails.

"There is still a lot of football to be played," Beebe said. "I feel terribly for the teams that are disappointed. If you win all of your games you don't have to worry about this scenario."

Beebe said the Big 12 athletic directors will discuss the tiebreaker scenarios again in March.

Joe Schad is a college football reporter for ESPN.

OUstud
12/2/2008, 03:43 PM
"When the tiebreaker was written I was not in the league but they wanted to put in the team that had the best chance to play in the national championship game."

This.

fadada1
12/2/2008, 03:48 PM
(back in the correct thread now....)

this complaining is different from us concerning oregon. we got screwed because of incompetence and a blantent disregard for the rules of football. texas is complaining about OU as if it's our fault and OU ignored the system that was agreed upon by all the competing parties of the Big 12.

fact of the matter is, texas, blame yourself for losing to tech. you don't lose, you're in. We don't lose to you, we get in without controversy. If tech doesn't lose to us, they get in without problems. All three teams screwed themselves in this case by not winning. It just happened to work in our favor. You don't like it: 1- don't lose; 2 - change the system.

Stoop Dawg
12/2/2008, 03:51 PM
If you win all of your games you don't have to worry about this scenario.

:mack:

Jacie
12/2/2008, 03:58 PM
We must allow our Longhorn friends to work their way through the phases of grief and loss. I think they are stuck on the anger phase right now. Eventually, they will get to the acceptance phase where they can begin to invest their energies in a positive manner. And that would be preparing to play an over-rated Utah team in a bowl they don't want to go to.

:P :P :P

The projections I have seen put Utah in the Sugar Bowl, so unless Texas makes good on their bid to jump to the SEC damn quick, the horns will be playing in the Fiesta Bowl, possibly tOSU.

TMcGee86
12/2/2008, 04:11 PM

I'm looking at it but I dont see that. It looks to me to be the same as the Big12 in that all the tiebreakers favor none of the three until you get to the last one.

Am I missing something?

Vic n Tulsa
12/2/2008, 04:19 PM
Big 12 officials need to take side and stand by their guns and shut TEXAS the F UP. This policy was agreed too prior to the season by all parties as the official tie breaker...

If they want to overstep their bounds beyond last week as an independant they should be punished monetarily and or should withdraw from the conference completely.

BIg 12 needs to come down on Texas this week if this continues. Thoughts :pop:

****BREAKING NEWS******

Texas is in discussion with NBC to replace Notre Dame with it's network college football contract. Texas officials have decided to go Independent and will annouce their departure from the Big 12 conference starting next year.

Cotton Bowl officials have announced they are in discussions with Texas Tech officials to replace the Longhorns in the annual RRS.

Texas officals said the game has been so devalued by the the BCS controversy, that it no longer benefits Texas from playing in the annual game.
The university will determine it's own annual schedule and promises to schedule top 10 opponents and marquee annual games.

Stay tuned for more details on this breaking news story.

TMcGee86
12/2/2008, 04:28 PM
Or under the ACC or C-USA, OU would still be the Big 12 rep.

Actually, I think that's only true under C-USA. The ACC follows the SEC model and would give it to Texas.

Scott D
12/2/2008, 04:35 PM
I'm looking at it but I dont see that. It looks to me to be the same as the Big12 in that all the tiebreakers favor none of the three until you get to the last one.

Am I missing something?

Well with the way talking heads make it sound like the SEC favors Texas with the very first Tie Breaker, the fact that it does in fact NOT favor Texas means it favors Oklahoma by virtue of disproving their argument.

BermudaSooner
12/2/2008, 05:26 PM
Those Texas fans have SOS completely wrong as well. Trying to compare playing 3 middle of the pack to poor teams with 2 good/great teams and one awful team is no comparison. Who you you rather play the #60, #61, & #62 schools, or the #11, #12 and #119? Clearly the 2nd schedule is more difficult, and why the computers give OU a strong boost over Texas.

That link brik gave is probably the biggest crybaby thing I've seen out of the Horns yet, and that is saying something.

nytehorn
12/2/2008, 07:41 PM
All of you are right; the rule was agreed upon by all at the beginning of the season. End of story. I realized the computers would be close, but KNEW we were doomed once Mizzou lost, and Cinci won to secure the Big East. Our "marquee" non-common opponent wins were against Mizzou, Rice, and UTEP. Yours was TCU and Cinci. Even with playing Chattanooga, they could not drag your strength of schedule down enough. You guys made it; we didn't. Someone was going to be screwed, whether it be TX, OU, or Tech. A lot better tie-breaker than flipping a coin!!

Stitch Face
12/2/2008, 08:44 PM
Yeah. I mean, it isn't like they're actively trying to sabotage the league's big money-making championship game or anything.

Wow, those are the sourest grapes I've ever seen.

I wonder if stuff like that actually makes horns feel better?

MojoRisen
12/2/2008, 09:22 PM
****BREAKING NEWS******

Texas is in discussion with NBC to replace Notre Dame with it's network college football contract. Texas officials have decided to go Independent and will annouce their departure from the Big 12 conference starting next year.

Cotton Bowl officials have announced they are in discussions with Texas Tech officials to replace the Longhorns in the annual RRS.

Texas officals said the game has been so devalued by the the BCS controversy, that it no longer benefits Texas from playing in the annual game.
The university will determine it's own annual schedule and promises to schedule top 10 opponents and marquee annual games.

Stay tuned for more details on this breaking news story.

Not beyond comprehension- If they are so great and they do have a big big market why not... They have a hard enough time winning the conference anyway.... BIAATCHHH

mfosterftw
12/2/2008, 10:11 PM
The problem with the SoS components I've seen is they are all first order. Sure, Texas gets credit for playing a decent 9-3 Rice team. But what is the record of Rice's opponents?

Southern Methodist 1-11, Memphis 6-6, Vanderbilt 6-6, Texas 11-1, North Texas 1-11, Tulsa 10-2, Southern Miss 1-11, Tulane 2-10, UTEP 5-7, Army 3-8, Marshall 4-8, Houston 7-5... Total 57-86

Let's compare it to 9-2 Cincy (D-1 games only):

Oklahoma 11-1, Miami (OH) 2-10, Akron 5-7, Marshall 4-8, Rutgers 6-5, Connecticut 7-4, South Florida 7-4, West Virginia 7-4, Louisville 5-6, Pittsburgh 8-3, Syracuse 3-9, Hawaii 7-5... Total 72-66

First Order Win%:
Rice - 75.0%
Cincy - 81.8%

Second Order Win%:
Rice - 39.8%
Cincy - 52.2%

Now, I seem to recall a time in the BCS where SoS was computed as 2/3rds your opponent's win% and 1/3rd your opponent's opponent's win%. If that were used to compare the value of Rice vs. Cincy, we get a composit SoS of:

Rice: .6326
Cincy: .7193

I suspect the rest of the SoS for OU and Texas is the same way...

OUinFLA
12/2/2008, 10:18 PM
Im tired of reading the rants on hornfans, does Tech have a decent forum?
I'd kinda like to see what they have to say. Seems like they got jobbed the worst.

bluedogok
12/2/2008, 10:28 PM

You would think that if you are going to go on a rant and try to present (what they call) "facts", you could at least get them right. UTC is in Division I-AA/FCS and NOT Division II.

MojoRisen
12/2/2008, 10:30 PM
Horns can't even beat Arkansas on a regular basis- maybe we should pick them up...

fresnodog
12/2/2008, 11:45 PM
Texas could do quite well as independent or in the SEC. I would like to see them come to the PAC 10. The Big 11 would become the Big joke. Without the RRS game OU'S recruitment in Texas would drop off. Without Texas players,OU would be finished as a National Power. Be careful of what you wish for.You need Texas more than they need you.

OUinFLA
12/2/2008, 11:48 PM
Texas could do quite well as independent or in the SEC. I would like to see them come to the PAC 10. The Big 11 would become the Big joke. Without the RRS game OU'S recruitment in Texas would drop off. Without Texas players,OU would be finished as a National Power. Be careful of what you wish for.You need Texas more than they need you.

where do you think those players would go? it's not like we get all the top players out of texas as it is. texas u can only recruit so many players and last I heard they were getting their limit as is.

soonerboomer93
12/3/2008, 12:00 AM
OU recruits nationally in the first place. We'd still have 3 teams in Texas to face. OU also has large fan bases in Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston. Even without playing UT every OU would still draw plenty of recruits from Texas.

to think that the OU/UT rivalry isn't equal and mutually beneficial to both teams is fool hards.

To act like UT is some sort of big brother to OU shows you to be a complete retard. This isn't UT's conference, not in football. No matter what your fan base may think it's not. You're dealing with programs with just as much tradition and prestige as you have if not more.

Lott's Bandana
12/3/2008, 12:08 AM
Dan Beebe pwnd Mack the Brown...in public and without even mincing.

I've considered him a tool, but I like the onions.

SoonerBacker
12/3/2008, 12:24 AM
All of you are right; the rule was agreed upon by all at the beginning of the season. End of story. I realized the computers would be close, but KNEW we were doomed once Mizzou lost, and Cinci won to secure the Big East. Our "marquee" non-common opponent wins were against Mizzou, Rice, and UTEP. Yours was TCU and Cinci. Even with playing Chattanooga, they could not drag your strength of schedule down enough. You guys made it; we didn't. Someone was going to be screwed, whether it be TX, OU, or Tech. A lot better tie-breaker than flipping a coin!!

Classy! And I mean that. It is nice to see that some of the more rationale horn fans are starting to speak up.

Breadburner
12/3/2008, 12:40 AM
Mack Brown is a fag.....

soonerboomer93
12/3/2008, 12:41 AM

Oh, and just an FYI since you're apparently a Frenso State fan

Darrel Royal, the coach that won 3 national championships and texas named their stadium after

He's a Sooner. Born and raised in Oklahoma, played for OU under Bud.

bri
12/3/2008, 12:49 AM
Oh, and Mack Brown? Former Sooner assistant.

Let's see, yeah, that should just about cover all of UT's national titles. No need to thank us; we've got mojo to spare.

soonerboomer93
12/3/2008, 12:58 AM
What outsiders don't get right now and don't understand, is that both fan bases are pissed right now, and it's just best to stay out of the way. OU and UT are rivals, and not some pansy *** shot each other rivals, but kick the ever living **** out of the other teams. UT is pissed they got passed in the BCS, we're pissed off at everyone talking **** and trying to blame/punish OU.

If Tech had won the tie breaker then both teams would still be mad, but not to the same degree.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/3/2008, 08:31 AM

What you also fail to remember is that OU and Texas have played over 100 times and they have only been in the same conference since 1996, so I don't think we would necessarily stop playing them if and when (hopefully) they leave the Big XII. That being said, Texas has a lot of schools. After all, it is "Like a Whole Other Country."

Scott D
12/3/2008, 10:50 AM

just for you I look forward to Pat Hill being named the next head coach at the University of Washington.

bri
12/3/2008, 11:54 AM
Also just for fresnodog, I look forward to the continued dominance of Boise State in the WAC. 'Sup, posers?

John Kochtoston
12/3/2008, 01:27 PM

Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

OU coaches to top recruit, if Texas moves to PAC-10: "Hey, go to Texas. You'll enjoy playing half your games halfway across the country, away from your family and friends. And, we're not gonna get any home games against big-time Texas teams, or OU, since they are 10 kinds of pissed at us. Or, come to OU, where it's a short drive up I-35. Or down, when we go to A&M and Baylor. It's a little further down I-40 and I-27 to Lubbock, but it's only about half the distance to Phoenix."

I think we'll still get a recruit or two.

fresnodog
12/3/2008, 03:23 PM
How many players are recruited in Oklahoma by Texas? None. How many are recruited in Texas by OU? Case closed. Without being carried by Texas,the only MNC Championships OU would have would be in Poker. Instead of playing hack teams likeTulsa for non-conference come and play Fresno State and Boise at our place. Fresno had an off year but,win or lose,you would get a chewing. Boise would probably beat you. And without Texas players,you would be our bitch.Come on. Make our day.

Scott D
12/3/2008, 03:43 PM
How many players are recruited in Oklahoma by Texas? None. How many are recruited in Texas by OU? Case closed. Without being carried by Texas,the only MNC Championships OU would have would be in Poker. Instead of playing hack teams likeTulsa for non-conference come and play Fresno State and Boise at our place. Fresno had an off year but,win or lose,you would get a chewing. Boise would probably beat you. And without Texas players,you would be our bitch.Come on. Make our day.

Pretty sure it's Boise that said no when Castiglione offered a home and home. I hear their *** is still chapped from the beating they got in Athens. Let's see, Texas is one of the most populated states in the nation. Many schools, including LSU, Arizona, Florida, USC, Oregon State also get recruits from the state of Texas.

Your argument about recruiting is as stupid as someone saying "Miami joining the ACC is going to kill Rutgers' ability to recruit players in the state of Florida, and more specifically the Miami area." Wow, that doesn't appear to have happened.

Stitch Face
12/3/2008, 03:52 PM

Compensate much?

I know, it's hard being a fan when your school has no history, no fanbase, no BCS contracts, etc. Keep barking, little one. You'll still never run with the big dogs.

HappyClappyMackBrown
12/3/2008, 04:13 PM
The thing is. If it happened to us the way it happened to Texas. Stoops, the players and all the fans would be just as pissed and rightfully so I might add.

soonerboomer93
12/3/2008, 04:14 PM

**** it

Once you get done blowing texas and the horns, why don't you go have a nice piece of go **** yourself

TexasLidig8r
12/3/2008, 04:23 PM
Fined or withdraw from the Big XII?

To the original poster, somewhere there's a village looking for you.

MojoRisen
12/3/2008, 04:28 PM
Hey lid - I used to make girls like you parade around the village bare *****y

There are other fishes in the sea!

Texas agreed to the rules before the season and only complain when it doesn't benefit them- period. Media wants a playoff and doesn't care what carnage it will take to make it happen.

Mack Brown voted his 9-3 Horns 15 and A&M at 9-3 22 - A&M had head to head.

Hit the bong for me...

oubose
12/3/2008, 04:35 PM
sean adams from orangeblood.com is the biggest one sided P.O.S. I have ever herd. The dumb sh*t still can't get it threw his head that the BCS poles are based on a teams whole season!!! Not just one game you stupid f**ker!

There's only 1 OKLAHOMA and texas you are not it!!!!

TexasLidig8r
12/3/2008, 04:58 PM
Texas agreed to the rules before the season and only complain when it doesn't benefit them- period. Media wants a playoff and doesn't care what carnage it will take to make it happen.

Mack Brown voted his 9-3 Horns 15 and A&M at 9-3 22 - A&M had head to head.

Hit the bong for me...

Mojo... quite frankly, I'm not so sure the system should be changed. It is what it is.

As for 2006, look at the totality of the circumstances and get all the facts straight.

Oh.. Mack's been in favor of a playoff since at least 2000.

And.. I don't do bongs. Now, if you wish to discuss martinis.. well....

cvsooner
12/3/2008, 05:06 PM

No, two someones would lose out. That's the nature of a three-way tie. That's why all the convolutions and teeth-gnashing. We were and are fortunate to be where we are. And I think you're right: Stoops knew the computer vote would be strong enough and the other human polls close enough that we should get the nod. I don't blame Mack and UT for campaigning. Trying to affect the human polls was all they had left. Anybody with a valid case would have done the same thing. The system is what it is, and that's just the way it is. The unspoken part of this is nobody really likes the BCS. The BCS only seems to satisfy everybody when two of the BCS conferences have two and only two unbeaten teams, or everybody's got a loss. Maybe using the BCS standings as a tiebreaker isn't a great idea...it's also fifth on the list of possible tiebreakers in a three-way tie where the three involved teams lose only to each other. It's not like there weren't other options considered first.

It was ugly. It favored us over Texas and Tech, both of whom by virtue of their records, had as much right as we did to being designated the representative in the South.

It's also settled, insofar as the Big 12 championship game is considered. End of story. Let's beat Missouri.

MojoRisen
12/3/2008, 08:37 PM
Mojo... quite frankly, I'm not so sure the system should be changed. It is what it is.

As for 2006, look at the totality of the circumstances and get all the facts straight.

Oh.. Mack's been in favor of a playoff since at least 2000.

And.. I don't do bongs. Now, if you wish to discuss martinis.. well....

Martini it is then, the village thing made me remember that qoute I wrote from the movie street trash... pretty funney if you had seen it-

Well, I am sure you see the hipocracy of Mack - when he lost head to head to A&M. Body of work or not - UT can not claim anything better than OU to the point that he is screaming Head to Head. I won't buy that no excuse

Playoff for sure - this crap is going to get out of hand. And I think Mack should knock off the politicks and admit that he understood the rules going in and that it is a shame- and tha the still feels his team is the best in the country.

When he starts talking about other conference rules - he needs to get put in his place- I think a fine is in order... National I don't blame the politics for him to state his argument and have a blatent disregard for the big 12 rules trying to make his TEAM above the conference is unacceptable.

I do bet mack is Drinking up some Scotch right now and grinning on what he was able to create.... Pretty Classless to me

bri
12/3/2008, 09:48 PM

Wow, you managed to talk sh*t about both my favorite teams in one post. That's gotta be some sort of troll record.

I don't even know why you're here. Go limping back to the Big Sky or wherever the hell it is your little bitch team plays in. Try winning it, then come back and talk noise about teams that can actually win conference titles.

Stoop Dawg
12/4/2008, 10:11 AM
Texas is one of the most populated states in the nation. Many schools, including LSU, Arizona, Florida, USC, Oregon State also get recruits from the state of Texas.

There are more people in DFW alone than the entire state of Oklahoma. It's amazing to be watching a couple of east coast teams playing and hear how many of their kids are from Texas. Texas has one of the biggest & best high school football programs in the country - and the population to sustain it. As others have mentioned, there are *far* too many top high school players in Texas for UT to get all of them.

All that said, I'm not sure that bragging about your biggest rival getting all of your recruits is so smart.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2008, 10:27 AM
The projections I have seen put Utah in the Sugar Bowl, so unless Texas makes good on their bid to jump to the SEC damn quick, the horns will be playing in the Fiesta Bowl, possibly tOSU.

This is where you are incorrect....

1. If OU wins the Big 12 Championship, that takes the Big 12 Auto bid from the Fiesta Bowl. Meaning they can select whomever they wish. And for them, Utah would be a very good choice since they are close and would almost guarantee a good traveling base for Utah.

2. Texas would most likely got to the sugar to play the loser of the SEC CCG.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2008, 10:28 AM
Double post...sorry.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/4/2008, 11:52 AM

You obviously have anger issues. As you enter into perma-banned land, may the peace of our lord be with you this holiday season.

soonermagic14
12/4/2008, 01:54 PM
I live in Texas and I'm so sick of hearing the texass fans complain. They all talk about how they got beat on the last play of the game....well, you know what? you got beat in the first half too. Texass straight up got beat in Lubbock in November by a team that we beat by 44 soon after.....(not to mention to a team that almost got beat by Baylor in Lubbock). And so what if texass beat Mizzou...it was at home and they are probably the 5th best team in the Big 12. I wish OU could play texass right now but i know that will not happen. Anyways, I'm so ready to move on to Mizzou and I hope OU hangs 60 on them too. OU 66- Mizzou 21.