PDA

View Full Version : All Overrated Team

kevpks
12/2/2008, 02:19 PM
Now that the regular season is almost over I think it is time to name the all overrated team. These are the players who in OUr judgment do not live up to the hype bestowed upon endlessly by announcers and talking heads. I'll throw a few out there and feel free to add as you see fit.

QB- Matthew Stafford (Georgia) (runner-up Mark Sanchez (USC)
Gotta go with Matthew Stafford here. I have been hearing about this guy for years as one of the greatest college QB's. Has anyone else heard the CBS crew say "Only he can make that throw" after a run of the mill slant pass. He usually throws an interception on the next play. In this day and age 22TD to 9INTs is nothing special. That would put him about 6th in the Big XII. Sanchez was supposed to surpass Leinart and Palmer. I just don't see it.

RB- Joe McKnight (USC)
This guy has a grand total of one rushing TD this year. I know I know USC has a "stable" of RBs, but anyone who has had to listen to this guy's hype since he arrived at USC has to acknowledge he has underperformed. They were ready to anoint him the next Reggie Bush.

Any other thoughts?

noobalicious
12/2/2008, 02:25 PM
Coach: Charlie Weis.

Now THAT GUY is overrated.

Actually you could just go ahead and say

Team: Notre Dame

and be done with it

primetime43
12/2/2008, 02:29 PM
how about LSU's defense? Gave up 50 plus a couple of times this year.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2008, 02:31 PM
I have to disagree with Stafford pick...His O-Line is attrocious..Its not so much he was sacked a bunch but he was on the run a lot which isn't his forte'.....Matt Ryan was pretty comparable statistically his last season (MR had more TDs by 9, more INTs by 10, more yards, lower completion perc.)..

I agree on Sanchez....

Ardmore_Sooner
Coach: Charlie Weis.

Now THAT GUY is overweight.

Fixed. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
LSU D

Georgia D

two good picks

Lott's Bandana
12/2/2008, 02:33 PM
Team:

Clemson

In every preseason poll's Top 10

Runner-up:

Wisconsin

In every preseason poll's Top 15

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2008, 02:37 PM
the two teams I picked to not meet expectations at the first of the year:

Clemson and Georgia...

Two teams I picked to do better: Arizona and SMU(oops!)

TexasLidig8r
12/2/2008, 02:55 PM
Auburn...

Preseason Top 10

Trainwreck of a season...

Michigan...

Although a new head coach and many losses to graduation, losing 9 games and a loss to... gulp... Toledo????

anticipation
12/2/2008, 03:00 PM
Arizona St:

Pick in many preseason polls in the top 25 and to finish 2nd in the pac 10
(behind USC)

Notre Dame:

Only beat one team with a winning record.

NYC Poke
12/2/2008, 03:04 PM
Missouri. A lot of commentators picked them to play for a MNC.

primetime43
12/2/2008, 03:30 PM
how about Chase Daniels?? I know his numbers are good but he folds in big games.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2008, 03:33 PM
Missouri. A lot of commentators picked them to play for a MNC.

Yeah I think that home loss against osu pretty much done them in...they end up getting destroyed by the 2nd place(tied) big 12 south team and barely beat baylor, and lose to kansas

JLEW1818
12/2/2008, 03:35 PM
Now that the regular season is almost over I think it is time to name the all overrated team. These are the players who in OUr judgment do not live up to the hype bestowed upon endlessly by announcers and talking heads. I'll throw a few out there and feel free to add as you see fit.

QB- Matthew Stafford (Georgia) (runner-up Mark Sanchez (USC)
Gotta go with Matthew Stafford here. I have been hearing about this guy for years as one of the greatest college QB's. Has anyone else heard the CBS crew say "Only he can make that throw" after a run of the mill slant pass. He usually throws an interception on the next play. In this day and age 22TD to 9INTs is nothing special. That would put him about 6th in the Big XII. Sanchez was supposed to surpass Leinart and Palmer. I just don't see it.

RB- Joe McKnight (USC)
This guy has a grand total of one rushing TD this year. I know I know USC has a "stable" of RBs, but anyone who has had to listen to this guy's hype since he arrived at USC has to acknowledge he has underperformed. They were ready to anoint him the next Reggie Bush.

Any other thoughts?

As soon as I clicked on this I knew it was going to be Stafford. It has to be him.

fadada1
12/2/2008, 03:37 PM
this complaining is different from us concerning oregon. we got screwed because of incompetence and a blantent disregard for the rules of football. texas is complaining about OU as if it's our fault and OU ignored the system that was agreed upon by all the competing parties of the Big 12.

fact of the matter is, texas, blame yourself for losing to tech. you don't lose, you're in. We don't lose to you, we get in without controversy. If tech doesn't lose to us, they get in without problems. All three teams screwed themselves in this case by not winning. It just happened to work in our favor. You don't like it: 1- don't lose; 2 - change the system.

tator
12/2/2008, 03:42 PM
As soon as I clicked on this I knew it was going to be Stafford. It has to be him.

Don't remember which game, but I heard this comment made during one game this year in relation to Stafford:

"Best pro-style QB in college football!"

ORLY?

JLEW1818
12/2/2008, 03:44 PM
yep he gets that a lot. I guess Georgia runs a pro style offense.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2008, 03:45 PM
They do....dude has an incredible arm..release is quick...

fadada1
12/2/2008, 03:47 PM
this complaining is different from us concerning oregon. we got screwed because of incompetence and a blantent disregard for the rules of football. texas is complaining about OU as if it's our fault and OU ignored the system that was agreed upon by all the competing parties of the Big 12.

fact of the matter is, texas, blame yourself for losing to tech. you don't lose, you're in. We don't lose to you, we get in without controversy. If tech doesn't lose to us, they get in without problems. All three teams screwed themselves in this case by not winning. It just happened to work in our favor. You don't like it: 1- don't lose; 2 - change the system.

ABORT!! ABORT!!!

posted in the wrong thread. my bad, people. go on about yer bizness.

soonerlife
12/2/2008, 03:47 PM
For coach, how about Mark Mangino? The guy had one good year last year and now KU has faded back in to mediocrity.

NYC Poke
12/2/2008, 03:51 PM
Forgot about Beanie Wells (for Heisman!) and Marlon Lucky.

JLEW1818
12/2/2008, 03:52 PM
They do....dude has an incredible arm..release is quick...

yep, that's what I hear.

Just seems to throw a lot of picks.

sooner94
12/2/2008, 03:53 PM
Per the post above, Stafford's O-line is pretty bad. Georgia lost their starting left tackle before the season, and I think another starter as well.

I think he has a chance to be a good pro QB.

Sammy is better though.:D

Jacie
12/2/2008, 04:06 PM
Considering the South Division teams Kansas played (Texas, OSU and OU) I thought Mangino did well to finish 7-5 this year. Substitute either Baylor or A&M for any of the three KU played and they would have advanced to the Big XII CCG owning the tie-breaker over misery (which did get the scheduling break, going 1-2 versus the South with a win over Baylor).

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2008, 04:11 PM
yep, that's what I hear.

Just seems to throw a lot of picks.

threw 9 this year.....not bad...Matt Ryan threw 19 last year...I bring up Ryan because he was the top qb taken and had very average stats

badger
12/2/2008, 04:29 PM
I nominate the worst offense in the nation this season as the SPREAD offense.

West Virginia? Pbbth.

Auburn? Pbbth.

Michigan? Double pbbth.

You can blow raspberries at every spread offense team in the country this season, because they all suck and blow at the same time. Last year the spread offense was the wave of the future was catching defenses with their heels on the ground. This year, the teams and coaches that embraced the spread are already in their offseason.

Frozen Sooner
12/2/2008, 04:32 PM
I nominate the worst offense in the nation this season as the SPREAD offense.

West Virginia? Pbbth.

Auburn? Pbbth.

Michigan? Double pbbth.

You can blow raspberries at every spread offense team in the country this season, because they all suck and blow at the same time.

Er.

You may wish to rethink that.

Knippz
12/2/2008, 04:34 PM
1st sting RB - Knowshon Moreno.

So bad that people forgot about him in the thread that he should be featured in.

IBleedCrimson
12/2/2008, 04:42 PM
I'm nominating boogr eater daniels at qb, beanie wells at half back. Also dirty sanchez from suc really wasnt impressive at all either.

Clemson definitely has to have Been Most overrated entirenteam

Piware
12/2/2008, 04:47 PM
Receiver: Dez Bryant from the Wooly Nation. Bad news on the road but I got sick of hearing Dez this, Dez that, My response? Dez's a**. He will disappear just like Adarius (Mr. All World) Bowman did last year.

badger
12/2/2008, 05:00 PM
Ok, ok, so nobody else is laughing at the tradition spread offense teams with me, but I'll just laugh a little to myself.

:D tee hee.

And now, to just go the route the rest of you are going, because conformity is a wonderful thing:

QBs: Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame; Pat White, West Virginia
RBs: Joe McKnight, USC; Emmanuel Moody, Florida

Defense: LSU

Team's comeback was greatly overrated: Notre Dame (Lou Holtz: "11 or 12 wins this year, guaranteed!"), Arkansas (Should have kept the Nutt!), Kansas (yes, I know they're bowl eligible), Oregon (Dixon is missed)

Team's chances at a championship were greatly overrated: Clemson (like usual), Ohio State (no letdown this year in January - it happened several months early!), Missouri (tee hee), LSU (that was fast)

kevpks
12/2/2008, 06:04 PM
Auburn...

Preseason Top 10

Trainwreck of a season...

Michigan...

Although a new head coach and many losses to graduation, losing 9 games and a loss to... gulp... Toledo????

I nominate Texas; they can't even win their own division. ;)

Actually, I thought of a few more players. I like the Knowshon Moreno addition. The guy had a ton of face time on Gameday for the hurdle and then I saw every player in the country do it. I think a linebacker from BC did it this week.

RB: Emmanuel Moody (Florida)- Very high profile transfer from USC. Played mostly in garbage time. 1 rushing TD.

WR: Golden Tate (Domers)- For reasons passing understanding I watched a few Notre Dame games on NBC. His numbers aren't bad but every time he catches a pass the announcers want to put him on the mural next to touchdown Jesus.

TE: Brandon Pettigrew (OSU)- 0 TDs! I saw this in another thread and couldn't believe it. He will be a first day draft pick but how did this guy not catch a TD pass all season? Let's not mention him in the same sentence as Gresham (or Grisham for that matter).

QB: Mitch Mustain (USC)- The guy has had more press conferences than TD passes. If he were any good he would have beat out Sanchez, another major candidate for this list.

Jacie
12/2/2008, 07:07 PM
Most Overrated Coach ends in a three-way tie:

Rich Rodriguez - Charlie Weis - Bill Stewart

By virtue of losing in the only head-to-head matchup among the three, the trophy goes to:

Rich Rodriguez

Runner-up: Bill Stewart

OUstud
12/2/2008, 08:48 PM
If by pro-style they mean stand like a statue in the pocket, overthrow a fastball through your receiver's outstretched hands and into the hands of a waiting defender, then have people make excuses like "he's young (he's not)", then yes, Matt Stafford is a pro-style QB. :D

Frozen Sooner
12/2/2008, 09:07 PM
Jimmy Clausen.

I'm no fan of Stafford, but he's three times the QB that Clausen is.

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/2/2008, 09:27 PM
How about that "Thunder and Lightning" tailback tandem from Clemson, James Davis and C.J. Spiller? Fairly mediocre stats, and grossly overrated when compared to the way College Football Live was sucking their jocks during the summer.

Fortunately, that two-back running combo void was filled nicely by OU's own Chris "Mr. Inside" Brown, and DeMarco "Mr. Outside" Murray. Let's not forget a shout-out to Mossis "Mr. Mop Up" Madu.

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/2/2008, 09:46 PM
How about that "Thunder and Lightning" tailback tandem from Clemson, James Davis and C.J. Spiller? Fairly mediocre stats, and grossly overrated when compared to the way College Football Live was sucking their jocks during the summer.

To be fair, Clemson's offensive line is a joke and their passing game has consisted of
20x bubble screens
10x slip screens
1x heave to Aaron Kelly

sozo
12/2/2008, 10:08 PM
Pat White?