PDA

View Full Version : **Nobody In The Media Brings This Up...**

Lott's Bandana
12/2/2008, 01:10 PM
Every time a whorn or whorn apologist smugly eliminates Tceh from the conversation in the three-way tie...

And every time a whorn or whorn apologist smugly begs to use the SEC method of breaking a three-way tie...

Try this hypothetical:

whorn beats OU in October by 10 points...

OU beats Tech IN OCTOBER by 44 points...

Tech beats whorn in November by 6 points...

The BCS rankings would have Tceh much higher, perhaps even higher than whorn this week. The human pollsters would create the difference because of the most-recent loss.

Although traditionally "when you lose" has mattered historically, if you have a chance to eliminate that advantage/disadvantage by accounting for that in your system, you should.

That's why the tie-breaker MUST include all three teams and not drop one because of their current BCS ranking.

soonermix
12/2/2008, 01:14 PM
or think about this... we beat tech by only 4 not 44 and tech doesn't fall from 7 maybe only to 3 right behind or right infront of texas...

what happens then?

oupride
12/2/2008, 01:14 PM
Your post details exactly what I have been saying all along. May your rep be increased a hundred fold! Boomer!

Lott's Bandana
12/2/2008, 01:26 PM
Your post details exactly what I have been saying all along. May your rep be increased a hundred fold! Boomer!

And we agree then:

A team that goes 11-1 in the toughest division in the toughest conference in the sport in no way deserves the disrespect of being offhandedly eliminated in a tiebreaker discussion.

Nor would they in the SEC or any other conference.

Arbitrarily dropping a team to create a farce "head-to-head" invalidates a Saturday Gameday/ABC Primetime national television broadcast game.

A game that brought $$$$millions$$$$ to the media/conference/teams that participated.

Soonersince57
12/2/2008, 01:26 PM
Every time a whorn or whorn apologist smugly eliminates Tceh from the conversation in the three-way tie...

And every time a whorn or whorn apologist smugly begs to use the SEC method of breaking a three-way tie...

Try this hypothetical:

whorn beats OU in October by 10 points...

OU beats Tech IN OCTOBER by 44 points...

Tech beats whorn in November by 6 points...

The BCS rankings would have Tceh much higher, perhaps even higher than whorn this week. The human pollsters would create the difference because of the most-recent loss.

Although traditionally "when you lose" has mattered historically, if you have a chance to eliminate that advantage/disadvantage by accounting for that in your system, you should.

That's why the tie-breaker MUST include all three teams and not drop one because of their current BCS ranking.

Hah! I started a thread along the same line. Yours is much better stated.

Lott's Bandana
12/2/2008, 01:28 PM
Hah! I started a thread along the same line. Yours is much better stated.

Thank you but my bad for creating a dupe...

:O

soonermeteor
12/2/2008, 01:28 PM
I've been ranting about this on other boards too. It's clear this is all just a waste of time. No one wants to hear logic, they want the drama.

stoopified
12/3/2008, 08:31 AM
Here is what I don't get about the whole uproar over the Big 12 using the BCS rankings as a tiebreaker:the SEC tiebreaker uses the BCS too in eliminating the lowest ranked team, and then comparing head to head of the two remaining teams.

Why not a system thatdoes not use the BCSat all such as record and common opponents or point differential?The main reason IMHO is that the SEC method is THE ONLY ONE that favors the Horns.All other methods favor OU,including the current one.

bri
12/3/2008, 10:36 AM
That's why the SEC method is the preferred one; it produces the correct result. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2008, 10:44 AM
It just so happens that the two methods pushed would benefit Texas...complete coincidence...;)

Conspiracy Bri sure is a lot of fun tho:D

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2008, 10:50 AM
I started another thread with the hypothetical case of swapping OSU and Tech. If we had won in Dallas (a neutral field as you've heard), but lost in Stillwater (with 1 second on the clock maybe), Texas would be in the CCG. That case would have exaggerated who lost most recently and no-one would question that OU should be eliminated having lost their last game. Yet we would have beaten the horns head-to-head (on a neutral field). There might have been more controversy between OSU and UT, but UT would win that argument since they would have won 6 in a row.

bluedogok
12/3/2008, 11:09 AM
BUT..BUT...Texas played a TOUGH 4 game stretch that included OU, Missouri, OSU and Tech....that should could for like eleventy-billion strength of schedule points :rolleyes:

SoonerCPA
12/3/2008, 11:48 AM
I would like to point out that any change in the rules for breaking a three way tie has an equal chance of benefiting the Sooners and hurting the longhorns in the future.

Human nature is to focus on what’s right in front of you and little thought is being placed on the long term. Say the Big 12 changes the rules on determining a 3-way tie to match the SEC, and next year OU beats TX in Dallas, but loses a road game to Tech, while Texas beats Tech in Austin. With the growing parity in college football, especially the Big 12 South, this scenario has statistical relevance. In this situation it is very possible OU would get the nod over Texas once again. Can you imagine the how quickly the suicide watch hotlines would fill up in Austin?

bri
12/3/2008, 11:51 AM
It just so happens that the two methods pushed would benefit Texas...complete coincidence...;)

Conspiracy Bri sure is a lot of fun tho:D

Conspiracy Bri hasn't shaved in a month, wears horn-rimmed glasses with swing-out magnifying glasses on the sides, and lives in an old warehouse with bricked-up windows and a heavy steel door with ten various locks. He publishes his newsletter, The Lone Harris Voter and is always trying to expose the nefarious agenda hidden within the accululated works of Hanna Montana*.

*Did you know that if you play the chorus of "See You Again" backwards it has a secret message that says "45-35 on a neutral field/All worship The Cow"? It also sounds cooler that way.

Mile High Sooner
12/3/2008, 12:37 PM
I've been ranting about this on other boards too. It's clear this is all just a waste of time. No one wants to hear logic, they want the drama.

Ahhh the old media "if it bleeds it leads" theroy.

Or in the :texan: approach... If it Bleets it leads. :rolleyes: