PDA

View Full Version : Mike Balogun can't handle Chase Daniel. Discuss.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/2/2008, 02:58 AM
Whatchoogot?

Sooner70
12/2/2008, 06:51 AM
I don't know about Balogun. He's not in my Phil Steele's Football. Can anybody fill me in on this guy? He looked pretty good in the few plays he was in on. All I know is he's #10 & I think from Maryland.

What's his background, etc?

swardboy
12/2/2008, 07:06 AM
If I recall correctly, Mike did some military service, then entered Jr. College in the east. So he's an older guy. Had a stellar rep in J.C. as a very hard-nosed playah.

SoonerJack
12/2/2008, 09:14 AM
Let's hope he's hungry for some Tiger QB.

MojoRisen
12/2/2008, 09:22 AM
I understand that he is a heat seaking missle and runs to every play... Chase Booger Danlies better duck when he runs....

Breadburner
12/2/2008, 09:24 AM
You are kidding right.....

BigRedJed
12/2/2008, 09:24 AM
For the short time he was in the other night, he looked like a ball hawk. Didn't look like a deer in the headlights, at all. Obviously, there is a reason he was behind the guys he was playing behind, but he looked fired up and pretty smart with position. Hopefully the way the rest of the guys have gelled will help cover any inefficiency on his part.

SoonersEnFuego
12/2/2008, 09:28 AM
I think he's just one of those "game time" players. He must not have done well in practice because he's not seen the field that much. But what I saw the other night, I was pretty impressed. I don't think it's that much of a drop-off, to be honest.

sooneron
12/2/2008, 09:29 AM
I would be happy if he just handled Coffman.

BigRedJed
12/2/2008, 09:31 AM
I think he's just one of those "game time" players. He must not have done well in practice because he's not seen the field that much. But what I saw the other night, I was pretty impressed. I hope it's not that much of a drop-off, to be honest.
Fixed. ;)

soonerhillbilly
12/2/2008, 09:34 AM
If he does well, I'll call him 'The Gun'. If not then he is Bologna. BOOMER SOONER!!!! Here's to him playing well over the next 2 games!!!

MiccoMacey
12/2/2008, 09:41 AM
He's like one of the top JuCo kids last year. He and JR Bryant.

Looked good in his four or five plays. Made a real good hit on Hunter when he came out of the backfield.

I graded him out at eleventybillion.

Collier11
12/2/2008, 09:43 AM
Does reverse psychology work on your own fans?

birddog
12/2/2008, 09:46 AM
he went from a starter in camp to a "last resort". coaches said physically he was fine but needed time to adjust to d1 game speed.

he's obviously very talented and he's had all season to learn the defense. i can't wait to see what he can do.

Collier11
12/2/2008, 09:56 AM
he looked really good in the short time he played the other night

joeTsooner
12/2/2008, 10:04 AM
I think he looked very poised late in the osu game. And to be honest, I am relatively confident in most of our backups. They can play and they WANT to play. Did anyone see how Halzle was all over Bradford in the second half asking about his hand? Did that kid want in the game or what?

NormanPride
12/2/2008, 10:12 AM
He was fresh, so of course he looked faster than guys that had played 60 minutes already. The hit he put on Hunter was really nice, and I like the fact that he saw where the ball was going before it was even released from the QB's hands!

Now, on the pass play, I'm not sure he was in the right position. I don't know the assignment there, but I'm assuming he had the underneath on that route and should have been laying a big hit on the WR, not running behind him to almost get an INT. :D Then again, the INT that Ingram made to end the Holiday Bowl was a blown assignment, so perhaps he has some Sooner Magic in him!

setem
12/2/2008, 10:38 AM
I think Balogun will do just fine! I really don't think the coaches would put him in if he couldn't do that job. We will see how he does against Chase but he looked good in the few plays he had against Poklahoma State.

We need not worry about Balogun though! Because Jeremy Beal will have Chase running for his life! Beal was a school yard bully last year and smacked him around like a bitch! I can't imagine why he wouldnt do that same this year?

Dan Thompson
12/2/2008, 10:43 AM
#10 Mike Balogun LB 6-2 250 Jr. Upper Malboro, Md. Lackawanna College.

SOONER STEAKER
12/2/2008, 11:00 AM
Made a play on Hunter and almost caught a deflected pass for an INT. Give him the reps this week in practice and I think he'll be just fine.

In case he can't handle it, move Nic Harris to the middle LB and insert another DB to takes Harris spot.

MojoRisen
12/2/2008, 11:18 AM
6"2 250 4"6 40

He worked construction for 5 years before going back to college - became a Juco All American... The coaches talked at length about his maturity and how they loved having him for his work ethic... He was projected to start over Lewis for a bit prior to the season - there were talks of him really running to the ball and being a play maker.

This guy is not a kid- 25 years old and knows this is his shot at glory....

I guarantee you this guy can play and will make some big hits for us on Saturday...

Sooner FLiP
12/2/2008, 12:07 PM
from what i have read, mike was having a bear of a time learning the defense and adjusting to the speed. i am sure he has been practicing up and is finally at a level to where the coaches are confident in him. if they are confident then i am confident. go #10!

SoonerPriv
12/2/2008, 12:36 PM
He looked decent to me the few plays he was in.. He was fresh though.. I think he'll play much better at that position then Nic.. Bob I think hinted that English may be able to play. I may be dreaming that though.

frankensooner
12/2/2008, 12:57 PM
Has anyone mentioned that he looked really good in the short time that he played? I'm too lazy to read the whole thread.

SoonerPriv
12/2/2008, 01:05 PM
see post above yours and a bunch of others before.. :D

The Maestro
12/2/2008, 01:11 PM
Uh...Kansas has been playing like crap and scored 40 on them. Who cares if our defense "struggles" to keep them under 35? I mean, I care, but I also wonder how Missouri keeps us under 60...again!

Bourbon St Sooner
12/2/2008, 01:23 PM
I still haven't heard the answer to the real question here - Can Mike Balogun crap helmets?

OUinFLA
12/2/2008, 02:09 PM
I still haven't heard the answer to the real question here - Can Mike Balogun crap helmets?

and, can he fly?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2008, 02:12 PM
Does he know the muffin man?

Half a Hundred
12/2/2008, 02:23 PM
We're doomed. Mizzou is going to throw up 95 on us and after the loss Texas clinches the National Championship without playing the game. Yes, you heard me right.

Doomed. DOOMED!

Bruiser53
12/2/2008, 03:15 PM
Anyone but Brandon Crow!

RacerX
12/2/2008, 03:17 PM
Balogun has his shot; nobody has his story
By John Shinn
The Norman Transcript
Mike Balogun walked into the Red Room Monday night with a huge three-ring binder under his right arm. It didn’t make him any different from any other student at Oklahoma. Finals are less than three weeks away and most are starting to cram.

But the test the junior middle linebacker’s preparing for will be taken in front of 80,000 fans at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo., and the Big 12 championship and a shot at the national championship could very well depend on how well he handles it.

“We’ll be riding him,” OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables said Monday night.

The Sooners don’t have any other choice.

The knee injury Austin Box suffered early in the fourth quarter of the 61-41 victory over Oklahoma State has forced OU to go into the Big 12 championship game with what amounts to its third-string middle linebacker. Ryan Reynolds, who was the starter the first half of the season, was lost to a knee injury against Texas.

But you have to play the hand that’s been dealt and the Sooners aren’t bluffing.

Balogun’s only played about 20 snaps this season, but 10 of them were at Bedlam. He came up with three stops to help OU pull away with the victory that kept its Big 12 and BCS title hopes afloat.

Most teams have a story of a player being thrown on the field in an adverse situation and thriving. But few could mirror Balogun’s.

It’s doubtful any other team playing for a conference title Saturday has a 25-year-old middle linebacker that was playing at Lackawanna (Md.) College last season, who didn’t play high school football his junior or senior seasons, was a full-time construction worker three years ago and was contemplating going to junior college to be a full-time student or going to trade school to become a carpenter.

OU does and has no qualms.

Venables found Balogun in a manic recruiting frenzy that followed Curtis Lofton’s decision to enter the NFL draft after his junior season. Mike Reed was supposed to be Lofton’s heir, but he dropped out of school. The Sooners needed depth and some Internet recruiting services touted Balogun.

He was already entertaining an offer from Arkansas when Venables made contact.

“I ran down the coach and got the process started. He sent us some tape and I liked what I saw,” Venables said.

“Who would turn down an opportunity to play at Oklahoma? It was a dream come true, really,” Balogun added.

Truth is, Balogun was very close to making his debut much earlier in the season. He spent much of August as the first-team weakside linebacker after Box suffered a knee injury.

“Right at the end he kind of tapered off and got a little overwhelmed and Travis Lewis stepped up,” Venables said. “The rest is well documented.”

Lewis’ emergence has been one of the best stories in the Big 12 this season. Balogun’s pretty much went on hold.

Once the season begins everything becomes focused on the starters. Practice snaps dwindle for those further down the depth chart. Balogun’s did.

“It took some time for me to learn the ins and outs of the defense,” he said. “As the weeks went on, I’ve been really investing time at getting into the playbook and starting from square one as the season progressed.”

OU needs the progression to continue.

One of the biggest reasons the Sooners dominated Missouri in both the regular season and Big 12 championship last season was Lofton’s play at middle linebacker. He had 27 tackles, returned a fumble he forced for a touchdown and intercepted a pass.

“It’s the nature of the system,” Venables said. “For you to defend Missouri well, that position needs to play well. It’ll be a long, long night if that position and the other outside position that’s in the core a lot, the (weakside) linebacker, if those people don’t play well. It’ll be a very miserable night.”

No one is asking Balogun to play at Lofton’s level. In fact, the Sooners are also exploring options similar to the Kansas game when it moved strong safety Nic Harris to linebacker. But there will be much put on Balogun’s shoulders.

He played well against Oklahoma State. If Venables is concerned, he’s hiding it well.

“You can formulate the game plan around what he can do,” Venables said. “He’s got pop, he’s got explosion, he can cover, he’s a good blitzer. He works really hard and has been willing to commit time on his own to get himself right. I’m excited for him.”

John Shinn

366-3536

[email protected]

JLEW1818
12/2/2008, 03:29 PM
Looks like he has the chance to be the defensive mvp of the game, if he just does decent

BigRedJed
12/2/2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, he'll have an awful lot coming specifically at him, due to the nature of their offense. Talk about trial by fire. We all need to keep our fingers crossed for him.

JLEW1818
12/2/2008, 03:40 PM
At least he gets all week to prepare, unlike crow who was just thrown into the fire. Besides OUr DLINE will destroy Missouri.

Howzit
12/2/2008, 03:55 PM
I graded him out at eleventybillion.

Coincidentally, that is exactly where I had him graded out at.