PDA

View Full Version : Things about ’08 OU-OSU we could have all done WITHOUT (long...sorta)

Thousands Strong
12/2/2008, 02:43 AM
OU-OSU football is one of the state’s greatest holidays. Throughout the week leading up to the game, including tailgating, most EVERYONE in Oklahoma is happy, having a blast, and optimistic about the game. Yet once folks get into the stadium, things seem to quickly get ugly due to way folks act and treat each other (and I’m not talking about the teams on the field or the final score).

I’ve commented (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104160&page=4) before about some of the less than preferable things that go on in Norman when the Cowboys are in town. And while these irritants (from both sides) do not completely deter a great overall experience, it would be nice if they could be omitted in the future. So here are a few of the things about ’08 OU-OSU most of us could have done WITHOUT:

--Those hollarin’ “Sooners” at the end of the Anthem. Look, without getting into the 1st amendment/respect the troops and vets argument--can it at least just be a home game thing? Especially on the road--just be silent and be a respectful GUEST.

--OSU’s PA announcer’s pre-Anthem monologue making specific reference (and emphasis) “and the home….of the BRAVE.” Clearly the guy has never heard of the offline version of the Streisand effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect). Here’s to you, Mr. O-state PA dude: That little backhanded zinger GUARANTEED an extra-loud “SOONERS” from that crowd.

--Some Sooners chanting “O, S, U, Sucks!” towards the end of the game. After a hard-fought victory. Against a very solid Cowboy team. Where OU gave up 41. In a super nice stadium we’d all like better access to for one game every other year. They are OKLAHOMANS just like us. That alone requires MORE respect.

--Holder’s ticket policy. Yeah, it sorta looked full as the camera quickly panned the standing crowd, but there was so much actual space that 35% of us could have easily lounged-out across 3 rows without interrupting someone else’s space. Still, given the end of game cheer by some of our own “fans”, I can’t really blame Holder for wanting to keep as many Sooners as far away from their stadium as possible.

--the PA genius’ “It’s 1st/2nd/3rd/4th and ______ for the VISITORS.” It’s annoying, disrespectful, and childish. Maybe it gets their crowd going (Pokes around me thought it was silly), but if it’s designed to intimidate our team, then clearly it ain’t workin’. To their credit, however, methinks the PA ceased after we finally hit 54 points.

--Blaring in music almost every time our band was playing—specifically for the purpose of drowning the Pride out. Again, childish and annoying (admittedly even to their own fans).

(/rant)

On a more positive note, I take my hat off to Dave Hunziker for involuntarily adding some play-by-play hilarity. In describing his lament over Gresham’s 73 yard tip-drill reception for a TD…
”ARE YOU STINKIN’ KIDDIN’ ME?!!?! “…it falls right into Gresham’s STINKIN’ hands!”

and then later this gem on Bradford’s TD sneak:
“He fumbled the ball and the DADGUM thing went right back to him and he ran it into the endzone. They oughta give these guys a birth in the Las Vegas Bowl ‘cause I’d put a THOUSAND dollars down at the blackjack table cause it couldn’t get any more LUCKY breaks than these guys are getting’ tonight….might be just THEIR day.”

(clearly, ol' Dave hasn’t been to many OU-OSU games in Stillwater over the past 30 years)

-TS

Whet
12/2/2008, 02:47 AM
The chant was more of a O-S-U-Sucks (with a gator-slap)!

olevetonahill
12/2/2008, 02:52 AM
The chant was more of a O-S-U-Sucks (with a gator-slap)!

You didnt really just respond to this Idiot did You ?:D

Whet
12/2/2008, 02:56 AM
Naw, I just wanted to set the record straight! AND, it was funny to see and hear. O-S-U SUCKS (slap).....

Scotty
12/2/2008, 03:07 AM
UMMMM i am positive i recall hearing "OU SUCKS" chants a few times early in the game...(when we were leading, might i add)

Whet
12/2/2008, 03:22 AM
UMMMM i am positive i recall hearing "OU SUCKS" chants a few times early in the game...(when we were leading, might i add)

You are correct! And, it was not just in the early part, but throughout the game.....

setem
12/2/2008, 03:30 AM
Is this guy for real?

This is just plain old faggitry!

BOOOOOOO THIS MAN!

olevetonahill
12/2/2008, 03:36 AM
Is this guy for real?

BOOOOOOO THIS MAN!

You would Know . ;)

pott_2
12/2/2008, 03:56 AM
Is this guy for real?

BOOOOOOO THIS MAN!

faggitry...heh

and good Half-Baked reference on the boooo.

Good critique.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/2/2008, 08:43 AM
O-S-U SUCKS is never inappropriate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UberSooner
12/2/2008, 08:54 AM
O-S-U SUCKS is never inappropriate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about at Pickens funeral?

SoonerJack
12/2/2008, 08:57 AM
--the PA genius’ “It’s 1st/2nd/3rd/4th and ______ for the VISITORS.” It’s annoying, disrespectful, and childish. Maybe it gets their crowd going (Pokes around me thought it was silly), but if it’s designed to intimidate our team, then clearly it ain’t workin’. To their credit, however, methinks the PA ceased after we finally hit 54 points.

So their PA announcer wouldn't say down and yards for Oklahoma, but would instead say down and yards for the VISITORS?

That's bush league.

sooneron
12/2/2008, 09:20 AM
I want the time that I wasted on this thread back!

plzkthnx

TheHumanAlphabet
12/2/2008, 09:48 AM
So their PA announcer wouldn't say down and yards for Oklahoma, but would instead say down and yards for the VISITORS?

That's bush league.

They have been doing that as long as I can remember - since 1978... When I got to experience Aggie at their best. Throwing water balloons on The Pride and hearing their miced up band in a vain attempt to appear louder than The Pride...

Oh and Thousands Strong - they are Aggie, they suck and always will! I do agree with you on the National Anthem, however.

OUMallen
12/2/2008, 10:04 AM
I like brunch.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/2/2008, 10:04 AM
What about at Pickens funeral?

I won't be there, so I will be thinking it. Maybe not vocally here, but OSU has always, does, and will continue to SUCK!

Tulsa_Fireman
12/2/2008, 10:15 AM
OSU does suck, though.

20 bucks later, I drove away from Stoolwater a happy man. I was happy to get my man-sized extra value meal Diggler sized.

soonerboomer93
12/2/2008, 10:37 AM
blah blah, y'all should be more politically correct, more bull****, blah,blah
-TS

cliff notes version

texas bandman
12/2/2008, 11:24 AM
They have been doing that as long as I can remember - since 1978... When I got to experience Aggie at their best. Throwing water balloons on The Pride and hearing their miced up band in a vain attempt to appear louder than The Pride...

Oh and Thousands Strong - they are Aggie, they suck and always will! I do agree with you on the National Anthem, however.

I think I was at that game, but it wasn't just water balloons, it was trash cans full of water where I was at. Luckily a sousaphone made a great weapon if they got too close. D@mn Aggies! :mad:

TheHumanAlphabet
12/2/2008, 12:07 PM
I think I was at that game, but it wasn't just water balloons, it was trash cans full of water where I was at. Luckily a sousaphone made a great weapon if they got too close. D@mn Aggies! :mad:

You are right...The pails or cans of water ruined several clarinets and uniforms. I was using my Sousa bell to deflect or break the balloons.