PDA

View Full Version : 1980s OU-Aggy Question...

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/1/2008, 10:20 PM
I was sitting here thinking, and realized that the 2008 game was the 25th anniversary of The Day the Pride Won (1983 game, OU is down 20-3 in the 4th, and a barrage of Boomer Sooner leads to an eventual 21-20 victory). Coach (band director) gets carted off the field by Aggy security, but not before telling the band to start playing Boomer, and don't stop until we're ahead. Switzer gives the Pride the game ball, which is still in Mr. Britt's office.

ANYWAY...I realized that that game occurred in an odd year in Stooly, and in modern times we always play Aggy in even years. I checked it out, and discovered we played Oklahoma State in Norman two years in a row, 1986 and 1987, which led to the current state of playing at Lewis Pickens in even years.

My question to you, good posters of SF.com whose memories of the 80s don't involve shatting his or her pants and swallowing marbles, is what circumstances led to playing Aggy in Norman two years in a row?

Soonersince57
12/1/2008, 10:26 PM
The schedule switched that year. We played in Lincoln twice in a row.

4everasooner
12/1/2008, 10:30 PM
There u go. And I shat my pant's.

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/1/2008, 10:31 PM
The schedule switched that year. We played in Lincoln twice in a row.

OK...but here's where my journalism degree demands a follow-up question. Why switch the schedule? What does that accomplish?

bluedogok
12/1/2008, 11:36 PM
There was a schedule adjustment by the Big 8 for some reason during that period. There was strange scheduling stuff during that period, from 89-92 all the KSU games were in Norman, KSU got more for playing a game there than playing a home game.

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/2/2008, 12:21 AM
That makes sense about KSU...they flat-out sucked during the "Futility U" phase, even during the first few seasons of the Snyder Rebuild. I remember reading about that in another thread.

But Aggy was good. Thomas, Gundy, Sanders, Dyke$, etc. Why on Earth would they agree to sacrifice a home game against their hated rivals? That'd be like us agreeing to play a "neutral site" RRS in Houston's Reliant Stadium.

So now my question is, why did the Big Eight feel the need to adjust their schedules?

Boarder
12/2/2008, 01:02 AM
But Aggy was good.

Good compared to who? KSU?

yermom
12/2/2008, 01:48 AM
they had a couple of 10 win seasons around then

olevetonahill
12/2/2008, 02:15 AM
MONEY Nuff said ;)

CtheB
12/2/2008, 07:23 AM
The cross over seasons were 1986 and 1987, and were primarily put in place for one reason, to make the switch from odd to even numbered years. No other reason. You played the same conference schedule, in the same location, in the years 1986 and 1987 (reference OSU and Nebraska games).

As for the KSU situation, many people forget that Oklahoma was supposed to play KSU in Japan in 1989. The game was canceled due to OU's probation and disqualification for TV. KSU declined the home game, which was theirs, and played the game in Norman for the reasons above.

So, 85 was in Norman, 86 and 87 was in Manhattan, and 88-90 were in Norman. The game returned to Manhattan in 1991.

Soonersince57
12/2/2008, 08:04 AM
I remember Switzer saying it happened abour the time he came to OU in the mid 60s. Every 20 years or so. No real explanation though. Not sure how playing at your stadium in evem years is better than in odd years.

Boarder
12/2/2008, 12:44 PM
they had a couple of 10 win seasons around then
Which got them a Sun bowl and Holiday Bowl win? Big whoop. They epitomized overrated back then (as they do now). From '84-'88 they were 4-11 vs ranked teams. And that was with the mighty Barry.

Sooner04
12/2/2008, 12:58 PM
Which got them a Sun bowl and Holiday Bowl win? Big whoop. They epitomized overrated back then (as they do now). From '84-'88 they were 4-11 vs ranked teams. And that was with the mighty Barry.
In their defense [shudder], it's tough to go better than 4-11 against ranked teams when you get to dance with Oklahoma and Nebraska every year. It's not like anyone else, sans Miami, was doing very well against us either. Take away those two certain losses every year from '84-88, and their record is 4-1.

Their '88 team had one of the more ridiculous offenses ever assembled. Too bad Aggie showed up right on schedule that night.

yermom
12/2/2008, 01:05 PM

like Nebraska at the time, they had to play OU

the difference was that OSU's coach didn't wait out Switzer like Nebraska's did ;)

of course they also had to play Nebraska...

i don't think they are overrated, i mean Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders were pretty good

at least OSU beat Troy this year :D

picasso
12/2/2008, 01:48 PM
I remember it well. Thought it was over so's went with Mom to the grocery store. Upon getting there we had scored and were kicking off, I stayed in the car and listened. I was so happy I didn't have to go to school Monday and listen to Aggie fans.:D

Sooner Traveler
12/2/2008, 02:50 PM
does anyone have video of the kick off that hit aggy in the head?

KingBarry
12/2/2008, 02:51 PM
The "schedule adjustment" was really meant to satisfy our conference brethren -- I suspect that OSU was a major culprit -- some of whom objected to having to go on the road against both OU and Nebraska every other year.

They wanted to always have a home game against one or the other.

The reason stated was that OU and Nebraska perennially were the most attractive home games that they played, and they needed to always play one or the other at home every season, or they couldn't move any season tickets.

Looks like it hasn't helped OSU any at all, in fact.

Soonersince57
12/2/2008, 03:17 PM
The "schedule adjustment" was really meant to satisfy our conference brethren -- I suspect that OSU was a major culprit -- some of whom objected to having to go on the road against both OU and Nebraska every other year.

They wanted to always have a home game against one or the other.

The reason stated was that OU and Nebraska perennially were the most attractive home games that they played, and they needed to always play one or the other at home every season, or they couldn't move any season tickets.

Looks like it hasn't helped OSU any at all, in fact.

You mean OSU isn't selling out all their games now? :rolleyes:

RFH Shakes
12/2/2008, 04:05 PM
I was sitting here thinking, and realized that the 2008 game was the 25th anniversary of The Day the Pride Won (1983 game, OU is down 20-3 in the 4th, and a barrage of Boomer Sooner leads to an eventual 21-20 victory). Coach (band director) gets carted off the field by Aggy security, but not before telling the band to start playing Boomer, and don't stop until we're ahead. Switzer gives the Pride the game ball, which is still in Mr. Britt's office.

ANYWAY...I realized that that game occurred in an odd year in Stooly, and in modern times we always play Aggy in even years. I checked it out, and discovered we played Oklahoma State in Norman two years in a row, 1986 and 1987, which led to the current state of playing at Lewis Pickens in even years.

My question to you, good posters of SF.com whose memories of the 80s don't involve shatting his or her pants and swallowing marbles, is what circumstances led to playing Aggy in Norman two years in a row?

Their sheep hadn't finished grazing the field.:)