PDA

View Full Version : From the "People Who Need a Good Smack" Files...

Viking Kitten
12/1/2008, 05:00 PM
WTF is wrong these people? (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/29/AR2008112901116.html)

Meltdown fallout: some parents rethink toy-buying

By DAVID CRARY
The Associated Press
Saturday, November 29, 2008; 1:35 PM

NEW YORK -- In a season that inspires earnest letters about toys, one notable batch is being sent not by kids to Santa's workshop but by parents to the executive suites of real-world toy makers.

The message: Please, in these days of economic angst, cut back on marketing your products directly to our children.

The letter-writing initiative was launched by the Boston-based Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, which says roughly 1,400 of its members and supporters have contacted 24 leading toy companies and retailers to express concern about ads aimed at kids.

"Unfortunately, I will not be able to purchase many of the toys that my sons have asked for; we simply don't have the money," wrote Todd Helmkamp of Hudson, Ind. "By bombarding them with advertisements ... you are placing parents like me in the unenviable position of having to tell our children that we can't afford the toys you promote."

The Toy Industry Association has responded with a firm defense of current marketing practices, asserting that children "are a vital part of the gift selection process."

"If children are not aware of what is new and available, how will they be able to tell their families what their preferences are?" an industry statement said. "While there is certainly greater economic disturbance going on now, families have always faced different levels of economic well-being and have managed to tailor their spending to their means."

In recent conference calls with investors, toy company executives said they expect to suffer some holiday-season impact from the economic crisis, yet suggested their industry would be more resilient than many other sectors. The toy industry is commonly viewed as recession-resistant, due largely to the parent-child dynamic.

"Parents have trouble saying no," said Allison Pugh, a University of Virginia sociology professor. She says parents often buy toys to avoid guilt and ensure their children feel in sync with school classmates.

"Even under circumstances of dire financial straits, that's the last thing parents give up," said Pugh. "They'll contain their own buying for themselves before they'll make their child feel different at school."

Amanda Almodovar says she encounters such families in her work as an elementary school social worker in Alamance County, N.C., where homelessness and unemployment are rising.

"I had one parent who said she'd prostitute herself to get what her child wants," Almodovar said. "It's heartbreaking. They feel inadequate as parents.

"I try to tell them, worry about your home, your heating bill _ but they're the ones who have to look into children's faces, the children saying 'I want this, I want that.'"

blah blah, blah... that's all I could stand to read.

So WTF is wrong with these people? "Oh Mister Toy Manufacturer! Please stop advertising to our children... You're making me tell them 'no' and I don't know how! Waaaa!"

Here's how: "No." It's pretty easy. "No. We can't afford that." And/or "Santa is not bringing you that. Ask him for something smaller." It's absolutely ridiculous that these parents are setting their children up for lifelong disappointment. They can't and won't always get exactly what they want and childhood is the best time to learn this, you know, when they're more resilient and stuff.

And how 'bout the lady who said she'd prostitute herself to get her kids what they want? Does she not understand what a kid wants is to have a mother who's not a whore?

This is sickening. What the hell is wrong with us that we do this to ourselves over "stuff"? THIS IS WHY PEOPLE HATE CHRISTMAS!!! Well, this and radio stations that start playing 24/7 Christmas music in mid-November.:kelvin:

SoonerInKCMO
12/1/2008, 05:05 PM
So, you're saying I should show up at Toys R Us with some cash if I want to pick up some ladies?

mdklatt
12/1/2008, 05:21 PM
So, you're saying I should show up at Toys R Us with some cash if I want to pick up some ladies?

Come over here and sit on Santa's lap.... :texan:

yermom
12/1/2008, 05:28 PM
maybe Christmas isn't so bad after all :D

and lady, how about turning off the TV? i know it's a good babysitter and all, but Mattel isn't exactly knocking on your door to talk to your kids

SoonerStormchaser
12/1/2008, 08:12 PM
SicEm might finally have a chance!

Okla-homey
12/1/2008, 09:17 PM
While I have a certain amount of sympathy for these chumps having once spent a hundred bucks on a particularly highly sought "Beanie Baby" around about 1998 at the height of the BB craze, I say, F'em.

I would also like to state, for the record, no seckshual favors wewre given in exchange for said Beanie Baby, altho her mama sure was proud of me.:D

bri
12/1/2008, 11:12 PM
Eric Cartman was right: Poor people p*ss me off.

SoonerJack
12/2/2008, 09:29 AM
Eric Cartman was right: Poor people p*ss me off.
lol :D

OUDoc
12/2/2008, 09:37 AM
how about turning off the TV?

yermom nailed it.

BigRedJed
12/2/2008, 09:54 AM
Eww. Leave yermom's sex life out of this.

BigRedJed
12/2/2008, 09:55 AM
Too late. Thanks a lot Doc. Now I'm going to be having weird hairy sex nightmares.

leavingthezoo
12/2/2008, 09:59 AM
Here's how: "No." It's pretty easy. "No. We can't afford that." And/or "Santa is not bringing you that. Ask him for something smaller."

... but "no" has such a negative connotation. it might break their spirits. and what happens to broken spirits? MAYHEM! ABSOLUTE MAYHEM! :mad: :mad:

:rolleyes:

FirstandGoal
12/2/2008, 10:00 AM
The problem with so many people nowadays is that they don't think ahead to actually paying the ginormous bills they rack up during the holidays and just buy whatever they want cause they want it. This is a horrible lesson to teach children, and one of the biggest reasons this country is in the condition it is in, IMO

Every Christmas since I have become a single mom (which is going on 9 years now) I have a set amount budgeted for each of my kids and I always let them know that I have reserved "X" amount of dollars for gifts and when that number is hit, I am done. That number may change from year to year depending on how we are doing, but I usually have it figured out somewhere by November what my spending allowance for the entire holiday season is (this also includes the amount I budget in for giving).

For example, this year I gave each of my kids a choice: I can either provide the "normal" Christmas for them, or they opt out to go on a trip to the Big 12 Championship game with some of the expenditures being taken away from our Christmas budget since I do budget tightly and stick with it.

My son opted to go to the Championship game and anything I purchase for him (game ticket, OU gear, etc...) will take away from his amount allotted for his gifts. He's 15, so he gets this and he gets to make an educated decision and everybody is happy.

My daughter, OTOH really wants a wii and she knows she would not be able to get it if she compromises any of my budget for her. She is perfectly happy to stay at home with my mother while I go to KC with my son, sister and her son.

All of this done without any sexual favors :rolleyes:

yermom
12/2/2008, 10:19 AM
as a kid i would have been like "just give me the cash" :D

BigRedJed
12/2/2008, 10:27 AM
Great. Now I'm going to have weird hairy male prostitution nightmares.

FirstandGoal
12/2/2008, 11:02 AM
as a kid i would have been like "just give me the cash" :D

:D

That actually did happen 2 years ago

stoops the eternal pimp
12/2/2008, 05:05 PM
I take my kids outside..no toymakers in my yard...

Viking Kitten
12/2/2008, 06:30 PM
The problem with so many people nowadays is that they don't think ahead to actually paying the ginormous bills they rack up during the holidays and just buy whatever they want cause they want it. This is a horrible lesson to teach children, and one of the biggest reasons this country is in the condition it is in, IMO

Every Christmas since I have become a single mom (which is going on 9 years now) I have a set amount budgeted for each of my kids and I always let them know that I have reserved "X" amount of dollars for gifts and when that number is hit, I am done. That number may change from year to year depending on how we are doing, but I usually have it figured out somewhere by November what my spending allowance for the entire holiday season is (this also includes the amount I budget in for giving).

For example, this year I gave each of my kids a choice: I can either provide the "normal" Christmas for them, or they opt out to go on a trip to the Big 12 Championship game with some of the expenditures being taken away from our Christmas budget since I do budget tightly and stick with it.

My son opted to go to the Championship game and anything I purchase for him (game ticket, OU gear, etc...) will take away from his amount allotted for his gifts. He's 15, so he gets this and he gets to make an educated decision and everybody is happy.

My daughter, OTOH really wants a wii and she knows she would not be able to get it if she compromises any of my budget for her. She is perfectly happy to stay at home with my mother while I go to KC with my son, sister and her son.

All of this done without any sexual favors :rolleyes:

That's a pretty good plan. Our kids have traditionally gotten one big (meaning expensive-ish) thing and one or two smaller gifts. As much as possible I like the big gifts to be something all of us will enjoy, for example last year we got them a Chihuahua and X-Box 360, this year I'm thinking Rock Band for the X-Box and maybe a trampoline.

Game systems are another thing I get a little ticked off about, because it just annoys the hell out of me that every year there's some new version that every kid thinks he just has to have. My son already asked for a Wii and I told him no way because he just got the X-Box last year. He got a Game Cube the year before that, so I was inclined to say no to the X-Box until Czar made the case for it. (Since it's more of a multimedia system for the family, and I admit watching Netflix movies on demand on it rocks my world.)

But I am putting my foot down on yet another gaming system this year, whether we can afford it or not. It just seems like a silly waste of money to have multiple systems. I guess some of my Grandpa's Great Depression stories sunk in after all.

I guess my point is that if you can afford a bunch of expensive stuff for your kids, great. I just don't think anyone should think they are doing their kids irreparable harm by telling them no once in a while, and in fact it's probably a pretty good life lesson that you can't and won't get everything you see advertised. If we could, the shoe salon at Neiman Marcus would be empty right now.

IBleedCrimson
12/2/2008, 08:43 PM
When i was little my parents always got me 25 presents at the dollar store costing a grand total of.... 25$. LOL I was always the envy of the neighborhood cause I had so much **** after Xmas. Next door neighbor kids complained about me getting more toys than them so much that their parents started doing it too

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/2/2008, 08:49 PM
You might want a bullet proof vest too

StoopTroup
12/2/2008, 09:08 PM
I was so wrong about who this would be about.

http://images.radcity.net/5145/2387543.jpg

bri
12/3/2008, 12:17 AM
this year I'm thinking Rock Band for the X-Box and maybe a trampoline.

Your neighbors are gonna love that for all the wrong reasons.

M
12/3/2008, 05:51 PM
As much as possible I like the big gifts to be something all of us will enjoy, for example last year we got them a Chihuahua and X-Box 360, this year I'm thinking Rock Band for the X-Box and maybe a trampoline.

Yes. Get them Rock Band. Plzkthx. :P

Viking Kitten
12/3/2008, 06:04 PM
Rocky is not gonna be happy if your arm is preoccupied with a guitar.

M
12/3/2008, 06:09 PM
Oh don't worry. If I use the drums or the mic, he'll still be able to latch on.

soonerboomer93
12/3/2008, 06:10 PM
womenz allways have something to latch onto

Viking Kitten
12/3/2008, 06:20 PM
But it's her arm he wants. He loves her arm. He's crazy about it. If he can't have it, no one can. M's arm should probably think about a restraining order against my Boston Terrier.