PDA

View Full Version : Florida? Not so fast my friend

UTsucks
12/1/2008, 04:29 PM
BCS Realpolitik: Oklahoma it is, but a new route to chaos from the Gator-hater computers
By Matt Hinton

In a perfect world, the Doc would be given carte blanche to publicly torch the Bowl Championship Series in effigy and institute the elaborate, double-elimination battle royale of his dreams. But we live in the world we live in, so each Sunday the Doc looks at what the new BCS numbers mean for the rest of the season. Rooting interest: chaos. Always chaos.
As predicted, the machines bit hard for Oklahoma's win over Oklahoma State, despite the paper-thin finish in the human polls: Oklahoma finished one measly point ahead of Texas for No. 2 in the Coaches' poll, 1,397 points to 1,396, and just six points back of the Longhorns in the Harris poll, whose members were apparently swayed enough by the Horns' "45-35" sloganeering to move UT back in front of the Sooners, 2,575 points to 2,569. If you had to pick a winner in the human polls, by the narrowest possible margins, it's probably Texas. But essentially, it's a tie.

It's not as close according to the computers: Oklahoma took three first-place votes from the machines to only one for Texas (which was subsequently dropped from UT's average as the high score) and finished in front of the Longhorns in four out of six computer ballots. The Sooners are headed to the Big 12 Championship game because of the computers, and it has nothing to do with "style points" -- the algorithms aren't even allowed to note OU's gaping point totals or margins of victory. If the conference schedule was basically a wash, I have to think the difference was strictly Oklahoma's non-conference wins over a pair of top-20 teams, TCU and Cincinnati, which were vastly better than Texas' best out-of-conference wins, over Arkansas and Rice.

This is simultaneously fair to Oklahoma and unfair to Texas, and also not the most interesting result of this week's effort. Take a look at the computer averages: Alabama ranks third, behind the 'Horns and Sooners, and the Tide were ranked fourth or fifth by three out of the six machines (again, strength of schedule, people. Think twice about those body bag games with Tulane and Western Kentucky). In the same vein, an email from a worried Florida voter popped up this morning in my inbox for the second time in just a few days:

UF is still #6 in Sagarin's rankings today, and not really anywhere close to #5 Utah. How sure ARE we that the computers will jump UF up after playing a 13th game? And how sure are we that if they don't, even a #1 ranking from the humans would be enough to keep UF #2 ahead of the Big 12 South runner-up? I would like someone somewhere to run through this with more than just a "Florida and Alabama in a semi-final" bit of "analysis."

This is a great point that I'm not sure I would have considered otherwise, and that most people are overlooking in their rush to deem Alabama-Florida the winner-take-all primer for the mythical championship. That's certainly true for Alabama if it finishes 13-0, and I assume it's true for Florida in the human polls if the Gators take the mighty SEC at 12-1. But the computers?

That's not so certain.
My concerned emailer is right: Florida's highest rank in any of the six computer polls is third (Richard Billingsley); after that UF is fouth, sixth, sixth, sixth and seventh, respectively. Compare that with Texas:

There is at least three positions difference between the Horns and Gators in every computer poll except Richard Billingsley's. So how much is beating Alabama -- which, again, comes into the game ranked behind Texas and Oklahoma in the computer average -- worth? The humans are all but guaranteed to vote Florida into the championship with a win Saturday, any kind of win. But will it be worth enough in the computer polls (I'm thinking at least two positions per computer) to close that very wide gap with Texas? That's a shaky guess.

Chaos is not Missouri upsetting Oklahoma; in fact, that's very clean: Texas will play the SEC champion, whoever it is. Chaos is Florida beating Alabama, and still missing out because the computers are set on an OU-Texas rematch.

KingBarry
12/1/2008, 04:42 PM
I'd like an OU-TX rematch. Good for the conference. Good for the Sooners. Good for slapping Mack upside the head.

OUinFLA
12/1/2008, 04:45 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAH!

never happen

bri
12/1/2008, 04:46 PM
I'm kind of rooting for the all-Big 12 South doomsday senario too. I don't think America is p*ssed off enough, at least not for my liking. :D

Thesifer
12/1/2008, 05:00 PM
It would sure help the "Down with the BCS" argument. And OU would kill Texas and shut them up pretty good.

cheezyq
12/1/2008, 05:04 PM
I'm torn. I want the Big 12 to rip the SEC rep a new one and send a permanent STFU to all SEC lovers who think they're superior to every other conference. But it also would be nice to hold up our own signs after we obliterate UT, too.

OUMallen
12/1/2008, 05:10 PM
I'm torn. I want the Big 12 to rip the SEC rep a new one and send a permanent STFU to all SEC lovers who think they're superior to every other conference.

Can't happen. It would take them all of 524 seconds to stop sobbing then still assert the SEC is better.

Harry Beanbag
12/1/2008, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure an OU-Texas national title game would be healthy for some people. I would be concerned about my heart giving out, and I'm in somewhat good shape.

BoomerSooner, esq.
12/1/2008, 05:20 PM
IF that was to happen there would be 747's flying over every persons house who has a vote with banners saying that ut deserves another shot at us. Be real. If florida wins, no voter is going to let them play in any game but the championship. If they are willing to forgive them for losing at home to an unranked team, they are not going to penalize them for beating the #1 team. Personally, I would rather play the whorns any day, but if we win, we are going into gator country to lay the wood down.

Harry Beanbag
12/1/2008, 05:22 PM
http://www.tellshowbcs.com/index.html

MojoRisen
12/1/2008, 05:27 PM
Does anyone think there could be some uprising of Violence that comes of this BCS stuff...

Those pollsters are going to have to print their names next too next weeks votes...

They have to be monitored and the computers need to be re-produced so you can at least double check them and run certain scenario's.

This crap will get really out of hand - as we all know Politicking works, soon bribery, and who knows black mail, it is limitless...

Votes Texas well below OU after Tech Loss, Texas moves ahead of OU during bye week. OU moves well back ahead of Texas after smacking Tech -

All this fine

Texas Jumping Florida and OU after beating A&M - with FLorida and OU having much more dificult games - this kind of stuff will get way out of hand.....

If it were consistent- I would not be mad either way.... Polsters need to get a reality check- this stuff needs oversight..

JLEW1818
12/1/2008, 05:41 PM
I don't think Harvin is gonna play

BoomerSooner, esq.
12/1/2008, 05:47 PM
I agree. The way that the voters changed their votes in favor of texas is disturbing. They obviously agreed that after beating tech, we deserved to jump texas. But after we beat a ranked team on the road and texas beats an unranked team at home, texas deserves to jump back ahead of us. That makes no sense. It they didnt believe that we should be #2, they never should have voted us there in the first place. The fact that a bunch of signs and complaining by texas fans swayed their votes that much is disturbing.......... What happens next weekend could really be bad for college football right now. Hopefully it will only bring about some changes.

bri
12/1/2008, 05:52 PM
Well when they voted us there they didn't realize that they were hurting Texas' feelings. So they had to make amends. :D

Soonerus
12/1/2008, 05:57 PM
What happened in the human polls for Texas is disgraceful...

OUinFLA
12/1/2008, 05:58 PM
Well when they voted us there they didn't realize that they were hurting Texas' feelings. So they had to make amends. :D

Exactly.

btw: good post

TUSooner
12/1/2008, 06:05 PM
I only hope that we beat Mizzou and then play somebody who everyone expects to beat the snot out of us. I'm not too thrilled with our recent performances as BCS Goliath, so I'd like to try being an underdog for a change. :O

TUSooner
12/1/2008, 06:07 PM
I'm kind of rooting for the all-Big 12 South doomsday senario too. I don't think America is p*ssed off enough, at least not for my liking. :D

That's the spirit: **** everybody! (so long as we WIN) :D

bri
12/1/2008, 06:10 PM
That's the spirit: **** everybody! (so long as we WIN) :D

The fact that those two are usually mutually inclusive is part of why I love being a Sooner. ;)

BigRedJed
12/1/2008, 06:14 PM
An OU-Texas rematch would be fantastic, IMO. I think OU wins going away at this point, which would shut them up, as mentioned. With all of the chest-thumping over the October victory (and I will certainly conceed that they have scoreboard), I don't think that deep in their hearts they want any part of OU right now.

But factor in the added benefit of a BCS/SEC meltdown to end all meltdowns, and I'm all for it. Actually, it might be the best way to get the wheels turning on implementation of a playoff system.

instigator
12/1/2008, 06:31 PM
You guys realize that all this means is that UF folks are going to start hiring flyovers and lobbying to make sure they get more votes to make up for the computer rankings, right?

Harry Beanbag
12/1/2008, 07:40 PM
The best part of this, assuming that we beat Missouri of course, is that no matter who the opponent is, they will have the full attention of Bob. Florida (for obvious reasons), Texas (for even more obvious reasons), and Alabama (I'm sure Bob didn't enjoy losing to Saban the first time).

BigRedJed
12/1/2008, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I also think the iffy-ness of the current BCS standings, combined with the obvious recent manipulation of the human polls and no guarantees that it won't happen again, will cause Bob & Co. to gameplan the heck out of Missouri. Not that they don't normally do such a thing, but they will get the full attention of everybody on the staff and on the team. OU needs to have yet another statement game, and that is, historically, when Stoops and his boys perform the best.

bri
12/1/2008, 07:55 PM
Agreed. Here's a conversation we'll all be having with random fans throughout next week.

Them: You guys ran up the score on Mizzou!
Us: Yeah, and?

Boomer Mooner
12/1/2008, 08:56 PM
I would happily give up my left nut if we could get another shot at the whorns this season. I would even give up watching football if we could just kick their *** with the whole nation watching, at least until next August anyway.

bri
12/1/2008, 08:59 PM
Dude, no! AF2 season is the BESTEST! Don't throw it all away!

Boomer Mooner
12/1/2008, 09:24 PM
Dude, no! AF2 season is the BESTEST! Don't throw it all away!

Dude, If I'm willin' to give up my left nut I reckon I can wait till next year to watch the Yard Dawgz! ;)

bri
12/1/2008, 09:28 PM
Wait, Yard Dawgz?

Nevermind, then. You won't be missing much. :D

4everasooner
12/1/2008, 09:52 PM
OU vs.tU in FL. would be awsome, and may happen. If so it would make me a happy man, because I'm 41. HAHA get it. After watching the OU-tU game in OCT. in which the ref's gave them 20 pt's in no calls and BS penalties I would love to see this come true , and kick there A$$. Anyway I do not feel that tU would want to play us again: Mack might look alittle like Osborne after getting THE CALL. See you tube " THE CALL " if you do not understand. BOOMER SOONER BABY! " SOONER MAGIC " returns.

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/1/2008, 10:26 PM
So for Texass best interest, would be for us to spank Mizzery so badly that we draw most of the 1st place votes, and then hope they split votes with FL and getting an edge in the computers to end up number 2.

All this talk about TU and number 2 is making me one to go take a Texas.

VA Sooner
12/1/2008, 10:32 PM
If Harvin doesn't play... will Florida look like they did against unranked Ole Miss at home? Bama then?