PDA

View Full Version : People who attended OU in early 70s....

SteelClip49
12/1/2008, 12:56 PM
I hear stories from my dad (57) about his college days at OU in the early 70s and while he was there, he had a roommate who was in a class with a female professor who removed her top and stripped down in front of everyone....don't know if she felt that she didn't care about the rules and just did things her way or not. She would also, along with someone else, be on campus corner with her guitar singing and what not. I don't remember everything but he said those were the days back in the early 70s. I believe her name was Burlowitz...something like that.

He also said that there was a trend going around at the time that people would be streaking for no apparent reason. I believe the South Oval is where there is a pit and he said that many students would gather around to watch other students get naked and form human pyramids for some kind of protest.

Any of you have any thoughts or comments on the subject? I figure this would be enlightening to my age group.

1890MilesToNorman
12/1/2008, 01:03 PM
There ways a pubic hair on a professor's coke can once, that went all the way to congress! :O

Lott's Bandana
12/1/2008, 01:15 PM
Ms Berlowitz I believe was named Wendy. She was my hero(ine).

Streaking was quite popular for one summer, even at OU. However, like anything else, it made the headlines more for the sensationalism of the act, not for the popularity of it. Not as many people did it as you might be led to believe.

Times were different then...more conservative, yet more lenient. Hard to explain.

Here is the best way:

Norman cops would pour out our beers on the road at a traffic stop, then send us home. (we were 17 years old)

"Head Shops" existed right next to the OU Campus.

X-ratings then are now PG-13.

Every middle/junior high/high school had a "smoking area".

Girls had to wear skirts no shorter than a palm's width above their knee...the male principal usually used his palm as the determining measurement.

Howzit
12/1/2008, 02:28 PM
It was Wendy
Wendy had a case of the ugs
Dang you're old.

OKLA21FAN
12/1/2008, 02:38 PM
its all on the internets!
http://www.oubeta.net/Era%20Histories/1971-1973%20Kelley.pdf

Lott's Bandana
12/1/2008, 02:53 PM
It was Wendy
Dang you're old.

I am old. And I've seen you nekkid. Don't bother streaking. :P

(I won't either)

IB4OU2
12/1/2008, 04:29 PM
It was Wendy
Dang you're old.

Wendy was a hippie and liked taking her top off and stuffing daisies down gun barrells.

I'm old too.

76soonergrad
12/1/2008, 04:42 PM
I was there the day Wendy took off her top on campus corner & got arrested. The OU Daily had her topless picture on the front page. Not a whole lot to look at but being female, I wasn't interested in her accessories. It was like watching a streaker.

There were head shops in several places.

President Nixon resigned in 1973.

[B][SIZE="6"]OU FOOTBALL WAS NEVER BETTER!

The music was excellent, too. That's true for everyone's college years.

BigRedJed
12/1/2008, 07:00 PM
its all on the internets!
http://www.oubeta.net/Era%20Histories/1971-1973%20Kelley.pdf
Heh. There are a few names in there that will be familiar to some.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/2/2008, 10:53 AM
Ms Berlowitz I believe was named Wendy. She was my hero(ine).

Streaking was quite popular for one summer, even at OU. However, like anything else, it made the headlines more for the sensationalism of the act, not for the popularity of it. Not as many people did it as you might be led to believe.

Times were different then...more conservative, yet more lenient. Hard to explain.

Here is the best way:

Norman cops would pour out our beers on the road at a traffic stop, then send us home. (we were 17 years old)

"Head Shops" existed right next to the OU Campus.

X-ratings then are now PG-13.

Every middle/junior high/high school had a "smoking area".

Girls had to wear skirts no shorter than a palm's width above their knee...the male principal usually used his palm as the determining measurement.

Norman had at least 3 tittay bars, High Horse, Walter Mitty's and Sugers, I think there was one more on Flood...

Freshmen were required to live in the dorms and could not have cars on campus with out permission. I didn't get a car on campus until the summer of my Soph. year.

Men were not allowed on the women's floor and vice versa. Not well enforced ;). I even had a LosuR fan tell me that LosuR was better because it was "more Christian" than OU because we had Co-Ed floors (women on one side and men on the other of Walker Tower) and LosuR didn't allow Co-Ed floors.

Families sent their kids to OU instead of UT because it was "more Christian".

Norman bars had a kitty at the bar to pay for the yearly fall NPD round up of open saloons and after the fall busts, things were quiet and there were plenty of open saloons until the next fall... Names on the bottles of "patrons" in the bar.

Soonersince57
12/2/2008, 05:06 PM
18-year-olds could buy beer too (legally).

SanJoaquinSooner
12/2/2008, 07:38 PM
Wendy had a campaign to overturn the laws in each of the 50 states, that considered a topless woman indecent but not a topless man.

Wendy Berlowitz's husband, Jim, was actually the more interesting one however....

PUNdit vbmenu_register("postmenu _470144", true);
Welcome Wagoneer

Heh, I guess I would be the only one to talk about a friend. In the 70's in Norman Oklahoma a friend of mine named Jim Berlowitz was a fixture near campus. He would be sitting on a corner playing his guitar and singing and if you were lucky he would tell you a story. Jim was an alum of the University of Oklahoma. He had earned a PhD. in physical chemistry but that did not satisfy him so he went back to school and earned a PhD. in Chinese Philosophy. Then he bought a guitar and taught himself to play and sat around the edges of campus and took requests. There were rumors that he supplemented the royalties he had from several patents with the selling of certain herbal products that were popular at the time. However, though he was arrested several times, he was never convicted. As an aside, his wife Wendy was a graduate assistant in the English department until she decided that the students would appreciate the poem she was going to discuss if she read it to them in the nude. For some reason, the university fired her.

One day, Jim was downtown Norman and saw a truck hit a parking meter and knock it off onto the pavement. He picked it up and took it home and put it on his porch. For a while, he would make you put a nickel in the meter before he would let you sit on his porch. After a while the meter got full and Jim had no way to empty it so it just became a decoration. One day, Norman's finest came to talk to Jim about something and saw the parking meter. They arrested Jim for Grand Theft Auto (parking control meter.) Jim always represented himself in trials and he had an interesting defense here. He didn't deny that he had picked up the parking meter, but he challenged the city to prove that the city owned the parking meter. The city could not show any proof that they had actually purchased that particular meter. When it became apparent that Jim was going to get off, the city made a deal, they dropped the charges, Jim gave back the meter after the city opened it and gave him all the nickels in it.

It was rumored that Jim was the inspiration for Reverend Jim on the TV series Taxi. Jim denied it. But when Jim died in myterious circumstances in Mexico in the mid 80's, James L. Brooks, one of the creators of Taxi, spoke at his memorial service.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/2/2008, 07:57 PM
There was a second English Dept Teaching Assistant who also undressed during class and read poetry to the class (Spring Semester 1971). Just like Wendy, he was fired.

I don't know if this is the same Ron Phelps who is an author, living in Seminole.

Lott's Bandana
12/2/2008, 07:57 PM
That story about Jim is golden.

Thanks SJS.

BigRedJed
12/2/2008, 09:12 PM
...One day, Jim was downtown Norman and saw a truck hit a parking meter and knock it off onto the pavement. He picked it up and took it home and put it on his porch... ....One day, Norman's finest came to talk to Jim about something and saw the parking meter. They arrested Jim for Grand Theft Auto (parking control meter.) Jim always represented himself in trials and he had an interesting defense here. He didn't deny that he had picked up the parking meter, but he challenged the city to prove that the city owned the parking meter. The city could not show any proof that they had actually purchased that particular meter. When it became apparent that Jim was going to get off, the city made a deal, they dropped the charges, Jim gave back the meter after the city opened it and gave him all the nickels in it...
Sometimes nothing can be a really cool hand...

Whet
12/2/2008, 10:25 PM
Streaking - the high point was Spring of '74. The South Oval's Passion Pit was the epicenter of the big event. There were several hundred students participating in the event. I'm not going to admit that I took part in the big event, but I will tell you there were TWO cement parking stops in the parking lot next to Gould Hall and tripping on the second, falling on the asphalt could cause multiple scrapes to sensitive areas, unless one was lucky enough to turn slightly, just before hitting the asphalt.... And, the Health Center is open during the night to treat those types of injuries, too.

The bars, at that time, included Jockey Strap, Grey Fox Inn, Donavan's Reef, Winchesters, and Mitty's in the alley. Norman cops would come into the bars, check IDs, then send the under age drinkers home....

And, there was a height challenged girl that rode a little bicycle - everyone referred to her as Bridget the midget.....

LoyalFan
12/3/2008, 09:56 PM
All this talk of nekkid female teachers and there must have been some female streakers, yet there are no pics. Somone must have recorded these landmark watershed events, even if only with a Polaroid.
Yet, this thread remains without pics. Ergo, I deem it worthless.

LF

SanJoaquinSooner
12/3/2008, 11:27 PM
Back in the 80s, O'Connells had an 8" by 10" glossy of Wendy bare-chested following the auctioning of her bikini top.

Unfortunately, she was not a glamorous pose.

As for the streaking, I believe OSU sustained the streaking tradition far longer than OU did.... down by that street of bars near campus.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/3/2008, 11:34 PM
nm