PDA

View Full Version : Here's why we are the Big XII South Champs

OklaUalum
12/1/2008, 11:46 AM
When the talking heads in the media and the Texas people want to make the arguments against Oklahoma being the division champion, the logic is flawed. Lost in this entire BCS / Big XII South debate is Texas Tech. Okay; if the Texas Longhorns people want to hang their hat on the argument that they should be the Big XII South division’s champions; then why aren’t they also making the same argument aloud that it should be Texas Tech’s championship as well? Why aren’t the media talking heads doing the same?

Oklahoma, Texas, and Tech all have the same 11-1 and records.

We all three share the same conference won vs. loss record.

We all three share the same South division win/loss records.

Yes, the fact is that on the 11th of October, Texas was better than Oklahoma. Fair and square, Oklahoma lost 45-35. But, on the 1st of November, Texas wasn’t better than Tech! And we all are aware of the beating Tech took from Oklahoma, right? So, on those given Saturdays, the other team was better than the other.

So, why isn’t the media, and Texas, yelling and screaming for Texas Tech to be considered in this whole debate?! I’ll tell you why, because they point to two things. First, they say that Texas beat Oklahoma. Sure enough. Oklahoma lost by 10. Hey, Texas, you folks weren’t better than Tech three weeks later –were you? And Tech, OU beat you folks three weeks later. Second, they argue the poll rankings.

So, we look to the polls!! Aha! We look to the polls to say who is better AT THAT POINT IN TIME; don’t we. Not on the Saturday three weeks ago, or 6 weeks ago, but right now. Our conference looks to the BCS rankings to take into account to adjudicate ties, not just one poll’s opinion. The over BCS takes into account a myriad of data to come up with a more logical conclusion of who is better OVERALL –not just that week.

Okay. Who is better overall then? We all three have the same records. So, we’ll need to look beyond that. Let’s take into consideration what I feel is the biggest, and most overlooked in this whole debate- and that is the schedule. This will have to reflect on all three teams, not just Texas and Oklahoma, but also Tech. (And believe me now, I’m not making the argument for Texas Tech at all. I’m just pointing out the flaw in Texas and the talking heads in the media’s myopic argument against Oklahoma and just for just Texas.)

Oklahoma has played 5 ranked teams on our schedule. OU played #24 Texas Christian, #5 Texas, #16 Kansas, #2 Texas Tech and #12 Oklahoma State (the AP poll rankings at the time of the games). Also let’s look to the non conference schedule where OU also played Cincinatti who is now ranked, and was their conference champion. At the time of our games, we went 4-1 against ranked teams. Overall against ranked teams (now!), we’ve gone 5-1.

Texas. Texas has played 4 ranked teams (at the time of the games on the AP poll). #1 Oklahoma, #11 Missouri, #6 Oklahoma State and #7 Texas Tech going 3-1. Their non conference schedule was Florida Atlantic, UTEP, Rice and Arkansas. None of which were ranked, have been ranked all season, or are currently ranked.

Texas Tech. The Red Raiders have a nearly identical predicament as Texas. They also have played 4 ranked teams this season. #23 Kansas, #1 Texas, #9 Oklahoma State, and #5 Oklahoma going 3-1 against this competition. Texas Tech played non conference foes of Eastern Washington, Nevada, SMU and U. Mass. None of which were ranked, have been ranked all season, or are currently ranked.

So what they are saying is that, TODAY, Oklahoma is NOT better than Texas, however Texas is better than Texas Tech.

Hello guys. If you are saying this, then why aren’t you also saying that TODAY, Texas Tech isn’t better than Texas, because you’re basing your argument on how the teams are playing TODAY!!!

You gotta go look at the overall picture of who’s the better team for the SEASON, not just on the given Saturday that they lost to the other team and happened to create this mess. OU played some real teams with some real meat on the schedule and has a better win-loss record against them. Texas (and you guys in the media) needs to stop hollering that “Hey, we beat Oklahoma!” If you want to do that, then you need to also in your statement add, “….but, Texas lost to Tech.”, and get the Tech people in on your discussion, too. Your argument is moot otherwise.

Awarding Oklahoma the South Division championship to represent the best team IN THE SOUTH to play for our conferences championship; represent our conference in a bowl game; and play for the National Championship, is completely justifiable. Oklahoma is the best team.

ocsooner
12/1/2008, 11:55 AM
Every argument that I have been making around the office all morning.

Well said.

A-M
12/1/2008, 11:57 AM
I agree with you! Like how you say it and maybe you need to send this to the people at ESPN.

oupride
12/1/2008, 12:21 PM
The BCS works as it was designed. It takes the entire season into account, the Sooners' non-conference victories over TCU and Cincinnati – teams that are 11th and 13th, respectively, bumped them past texas.

OklaUalum
12/1/2008, 12:35 PM
Another thing I’d neglected to mention was –Boise State.
Boise State is undefeated. But look at their overall RECORD. They’ve played nobodies. Yet, the polls have Boise State fairly ranked, right? They play in a non BCS conference, but who in their right minds thinks that they could go out and play three or four games against some ranked competition and go undefeated? Boise has only played one ranked team this season. That is Oregon. That is why the OVERALL picture has to be considered in the argument, not just who is better at that time.
Sorry, I forgot.

Partial Qualifier
12/1/2008, 12:40 PM
Well-stated.

The pundits' (and their lemmings') confusion begins when they address Texas Tech with a "BUT...." for example: "BUT Texas Tech is out of it because. . . "

No, that's agenda-driven bull**** because after all your semantics and selective amnesia has come and gone, Tech is STILL part of the 3-way tie.

SouthFortySooner
12/1/2008, 01:11 PM
The phrase I'm sticking with is "steadily gaining". Oklahoma has been steadily gaining in the polls since the loss to Texas. If Texas had had 6 weeks they too might have regained a position greater that Oklahoma. But, unlike Oklahoma who has scored greater than 60 points their last four games to bolster their "steady gain". YOU LOST IDIOTS!