PDA

View Full Version : Why all the love for Florida?

OUinFLA
12/1/2008, 11:42 AM
I think they are a good team for sure, but after reviewing their schedule, as far as I can see, their most significant win is Georgia, and Ga hasnt proved out to be such a powerhouse.

But the media has put them in the MNC already

Aug. 30th W 56-10 Hawaii 12:30 P.M. RAYCOM
Sept. 6th W 26-3 Miami (Fla.) 8:00 P.M. ESPN
Sept. 20th W 30-6 at Tennessee 3:30 P.M. CBS
Sept. 27th L 30-31 Ole Miss 12:30 P.M. RAYCOM
Oct. 4th W 38-7 at Arkansas 12:30 P.M. RAYCOM
Oct. 11th W 51-21 L.S.U. 8:00 P.M. CBS
Oct. 25th W 63-5 Kentucky (Homecoming) 12:30 P.M. RAYCOM
Nov. 1st W 49-10 Georgia (at Jacksonville FL) 3:30 P.M. CBS
Nov. 8th W 42-14 at Vanderbilt 8:00 P.M. espn2
Nov. 15th W 56-6 South Carolina 3:30 P.M. CBS
Nov. 22nd W 70-19 The Citadel (Senior Day) 1:30 P.M. PPV
Nov. 29th W 45-15 at Florida State 3:30 P.M. ABC

Out of all those teams, how many are in the top 10? top 20?

Yet................. they keep moving up in the polls based on wins over teams that are now unranked. Well, except for Ole Miss. ?????

I'm sure this post would irritate my Florida friends, and I have many after years of living down here, but, still........... who have they played?

Clearly, the media has an agenda and their agenda is rather influential on the result of who is in that final game.

The media has completely discounted Bama and jumped on the Gator bandwagon. Me thinks they may be making a mistake at this point.

It's times like this that I miss the old system and hate the BCS. I really didn't care that we didn't always have a "true" national champion. I didn't even care when we had split championships between AP and Coach's Polls.

In fact, the "old" system gave us something to argue and talk about during the off-season. Plus, I didn't spend most Saturdays wishing for 3 or 4 other teams to "lose" rather than just rooting for OU to win it's game.

That's my rant, and I'm sticking to it.

OUinFLA
12/1/2008, 11:43 AM

A-M
12/1/2008, 11:46 AM
Great post. I tend to agree with you on the Forida issue. However, I don't like the BCS or the old way. I'm for a play off system and until we get one, there will always be problems with who is number 1.

Sooner in Tampa
12/1/2008, 11:46 AM
CUZ...we are awesome....

OH...wait...damn....you mean the Gators....sorry

You are correct....carry on!

TUSooner
12/1/2008, 11:49 AM

It's times like this that I miss the old system and hate the BCS. I really didn't care that we didn't always have a "true" national champion. I didn't even care when we had split championships between AP and Coach's Polls.

In fact, the "old" system gave us something to argue and talk about during the off-season. Plus, I didn't spend most Saturdays wishing for 3 or 4 other teams to "lose" rather than just rooting for OU to win it's game.

That's my rant, and I'm sticking to it.

I'm starting to agree with you on the pre-BCS days. Sure, we usually didn't have a "real" champion, but everybody knew it. Now, we still usually don't have a "real" champion, but we have a great illusion of having one.

Good points about UFla, too. But they sure have taken care of business since their loss.

SelmaBamaFan
12/1/2008, 11:54 AM
As an Alabama fan, I am used to the media jumping on the other team's bandwagon. I mean, I admit it... Bama plays boring football. Some would call it 'ugly football', but it seems we have a knack for making our opponent play ugly football as well.

At Alabama we never have a chance to win, we are slow, stupid, and can't play offense. The media thinks that our fastest player runs a 4.8. We dont have a chance against the likes of Florida... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sooner in Tampa
12/1/2008, 11:56 AM
Come on now Selma...Bama gets their fair share of media love.

OUinFLA
12/1/2008, 11:59 AM
Actually Selma, I'm taking Bama and the points.

SelmaBamaFan
12/1/2008, 12:17 PM
Come on now Selma...Bama gets their fair share of media love.

We did in the earlier part of the season, but lately its all Florida, which is fine with me btw. I mean, we won the West when the second best team was... OLE MISS?

I'll be the first to admit that our world beating wins against Clemson and Georgia look suspect now. Those teams aren't nearly as good as we thought they were. However, I'd like to think in Clemson's case we were the reason they gave up on the year... same for LSU.

Some media members might like throwback teams, but the majority like the trendy picks, and Florida is that right now in the SEC.

If I was to take an unbiased look at Bama and I was a sport's writer; who would I write about? We dont really have any stand out players like a Tebow or a Bradford. About the only thing that stands out on this team is the OL, Mount Cody, and Javier Arenas returning kicks and punts. Other than that, Bama is a team with good players that simply... do their job.

Sure, we arent getting hated on like OU right now, but at the same time hardly anyone with a pen and a venue gives us much chance to win this game.

MojoRisen
12/1/2008, 12:21 PM
Florida St proved they could run the ball on UF, if they were not slipping around could be interesting when UF faces a real defense and gives up some running yards... Could be real close...

Tebow also better be carefull running up the gut- he is fair game to get creamed... it doesn't take much and I know he is a beast but Brantley ain't ready to lead them...

stoopified
12/1/2008, 12:22 PM
I don't care if Bama or UF wins,OU is taking them OUt.

Position Limit
12/1/2008, 12:26 PM
this game just seems like it's setting up for bama to absolutely roll. i watched both of these teams play alot this year, and bama impresses me. add in the fact that the talking heads have already put fla in the bcs champ game and fla's schedule. bama plays the kind of football that is very tough to beat. great defense and a tough as hell running game. whatever florida.

Stoop Dawg
12/1/2008, 01:49 PM
AP has UF (lost to #22 at home) above OU (lost to #3 team at neutral site) and UT (lost to #8 on the road).

AP moves UT ahead of OU after OU wins on the road against #14 (#11 at the time).

What else do you need to know about the AP?

Mr. Poon
12/1/2008, 03:25 PM
I'm FAR from a Florida fan, but I have to step back and look at the scores of all those wins. Even if LSU, FSU, Georgia and Miami are all a notch below what they were expected to be (or usually are, in FSU and Miami's case), winning against those teams by those huge margins is impressive. If it ends up Florida vs. Oklahoma in the BCS Championship game (and I think it will) - the 2 best teams will be playing anyway, in my opinion. It would definitely be a fun game to watch.

birddog
12/1/2008, 03:35 PM
bama and OU in the mnc has a nice ring to it. i hope it happens.

also because i think florida might woodshed us if box is out.