PDA

View Full Version : HRC as SecState

Veritas
12/1/2008, 10:45 AM
I'm interested in hearing your perspectives on Ms. Clinton as the Secretary of State.

Keep it civil please.

1890MilesToNorman
12/1/2008, 10:49 AM
State Dinner for Bin Laden?

Trust me, you really don't want to hear my opinion on this matter. :eek:

Veritas
12/1/2008, 10:53 AM
Part of my interest is that I've been pleased with Obama's picks to the point, and have actually used the word "thrilled" in reference to his economic team.

My perspective of HRC, though, is so negative as to quite literally induce mild nausea while watching this presser. That's not a strong indicator of objectivity, so I'm hoping some of the folks on this board can share their views and act as Pepto for me. :)

1890MilesToNorman
12/1/2008, 10:57 AM
Part of my interest is that I've been pleased with Obama's picks to the point, and have actually used the word "thrilled" in reference to his economic team.

My perspective of HRC, though, is so negative as to quite literally induce mild nausea while watching this presser. That's not a strong indicator of objectivity, so I'm hoping some of the folks on this board can share their views and act as Pepto for me. :)

Sorry Veritas, I can't help with the nausea. Coddling unruly regimes is not the answer and I believe this will be her approach.

crawfish
12/1/2008, 11:08 AM
Obama disappoints me again. A bad, bad choice.

How many people does she have to kill to be president now? :)

Veritas
12/1/2008, 11:14 AM
As a side note, Obama is not a good extemporaneous speaker...he says "uh" with a frequency that dilutes the confidence of his message.

lexsooner
12/1/2008, 11:32 AM
I'm interested in hearing your perspectives on Ms. Clinton as the Secretary of State.

Keep it civil please.

I think she is very bright and tough and a somewhat risky choice for Obama. She is a moderate whose selection is consistent with Obama's cabinet choices so far. There may have been a back room deal after Obama won the nomination, where Clinton and hubby agreed to campaign for Obama in exchange for Clinton getting Sec. of State. There is definitely some risk in selecting her, that the Clintons now have a foothold and power base directly in the Oval Office.

Overall, Obama has made some very good, strong choices so far. If he can govern as well as he ran his campaign and has acted so far as President Elect, he will do quite well as POUS. So far, as Prez Elect, he has come off as very "Presidential." There have been no signs of him being a radical or too green for the job.

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 01:48 PM
The good Part
Shes Outa the Senate
The Bad = We will be seeing her Uglyassed Face In the News to damn much:mad:

Tulsa_Fireman
12/1/2008, 02:16 PM
If he can govern as well as he ran his campaign and has acted so far as President Elect, he will do quite well as POUS.

What's the POUS?

Piece Of Unwashed Sh*t?

Poonanny Owes United Sailors?

Poop On Underwear/Shorts?

Pirates On Undefended Shores?

VeeJay
12/1/2008, 08:03 PM
The unending parade of ill-fitting pantsuits will bring a new perspective to "Foggy Bottom."

Curly Bill
12/1/2008, 08:11 PM
I don't understand choosing her at all.

...unless it's the ol case of keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 08:27 PM

Maybe hes Gonna send her to where theres a lot Of Sniper Fire :D

OUHOMER
12/1/2008, 08:41 PM
Um, You know I always thought Rice was doing a nice job, However It always seems she was just a mouth piece fro GW. Maybe thats the job, I guess GW was the boss and she was to spread his message to the world powers.

Now can HRC, do the same for Obama? Can she carry the message from the boss without getting pissed if she does not agree with the message?

I think she has the balls for job.

OUHOMER
12/1/2008, 08:47 PM

You know the more I think about it, He is doing to to **** her off. Yea that it.
I will make her come into my office everyday and let her see ME sitting behind the desk. Than I will send her to South Africa during the hot dry spell to tell those guys to knock it off...:D

Okla-homey
12/1/2008, 09:05 PM
This may surprise some, but I like the choice.

See, that women takes names and knows how to hold a grudge. Frankly, I pity the third-world tinpot dictator who p1sses her off. If she senses someone is attempting to pull the wool over her eyes, she's liable to throw a flippin' table lamp* at him like she did when WJC fessed-up to using an emotionally disturbed intern's head as his d1ck holster.

That, and she was raised as a conservative Goldwater 'Pub. That stuff didn't get entirely washed off in the 60's.

She also voted for the Iraq Campaign in the GWOT, and I believe she supported the surge. Which makes her smarter than her boss.

*See her memoir for details.

VeeJay
12/1/2008, 09:26 PM
I agree with you somewhat there, Homey, but the whole "I dodged sniper fire in Bosnia" schtick among her history of other mis-statements was, frankly, enough for one to want her and Bubba to go away forthwith.

She can't be trusted to do or say anything in the public domain that doesn't include advancement of the Clinton persona.

She is embarassing and an insult but other than that I think she is a marvelous choice.

What's up with all the Obama loyalists who hated her guts a couple of months ago, and are now accepting of her as part of the Change Package?

Okla-homey
12/1/2008, 09:36 PM
I agree with you somewhat there, Homey, but the whole "I dodged sniper fire in Bosnia" schtick among her history of other mis-statements was, frankly, enough for one to want her and Bubba to go away forthwith.

She can't be trusted to do or say anything in the public domain that doesn't include advancement of the Clinton persona.

She is embarassing and an insult but other than that I think she is a marvelous choice.

What's up with all the Obama loyalists who hated her guts a couple of months ago, and are now accepting of her as part of the Change Package?

"keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"

IBleedCrimson
12/1/2008, 09:41 PM
hillary was picked to solidify support from clintonite supporters who didnt vote for him, and ppl in govnt who are loyal to her. almost all his cabinet choices so far have been specifically designed to create a "team of rivals". he wants the clinton political machine on his side, its a very powerful force in europe and israel especially. this choice was stictly political, and IMHO very smart. her being in his cabinet gives him a lot of options that would not have been there without the clintons extensive connections both political and non political worldwide. im not a big fan of her politics but bringing her into the inner circle and ensuring her as an ally, not a potential wrecking ball of opposition in the senate is crucial for him to maintain long term support after the intial honeymoon period.

my head now hurts and i need a beer

SanJoaquinSooner
12/1/2008, 09:54 PM
The negative, "nausea-inducing" Hillary is understandable if you're thinking about her from over ten years ago. The last ten years I don't see what is negative about her, other than perhaps policy differences.

She's been admirable since then.

In any case, Obama showed his true colors at a recent speech when he shouted.....

http://weblogs.variety.com/thompsononhollywood/images/2008/03/21/36979862_2.jpg

Ich bin Clintonista!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/2/2008, 12:20 PM

My perspective of HRC, though, is so negative as to quite literally induce mild nausea while watching this presser. That's not a strong indicator of objectivity, so I'm hoping some of the folks on this board can share their views and act as Pepto for me. :)Why doesn't Obama just go ahead and cede US power to the UN, and get it over with?

Scott D
12/2/2008, 12:26 PM
Why doesn't Obama just go ahead and cede US power to the UN, and get it over with?

your hero seemed to support the idea. Can't say that I do. Maybe ole Rushy is getting soft in his drugless days... ;)

OklahomaTuba
12/2/2008, 12:56 PM
At least she isn't as F'kn @$$ ugly as Madeline Albright.

OklahomaTuba
12/2/2008, 12:58 PM
On a positive note, HRC and Janet Napolitano "work" really well together.

http://maryvictrix.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/11_21_350x450_napolitano_andrew.jpg

LosAngelesSooner
12/2/2008, 01:48 PM
Why doesn't Obama just go ahead and cede US power to the UN, and get it over with?Deviating from your clone's stance, are we? :pop:

TheHumanAlphabet
12/2/2008, 02:12 PM
Obama disappoints me again. A bad, bad choice.

How many people does she have to kill to be president now? :)

Actually a very savvy choice. HRC is effectively blocked from running for President - ever. Not while Obama is in the office and probably not after that as she would be tired and old, and there seems to be a youth movement afoot.

Vaevictis
12/2/2008, 02:18 PM
She's smart, she's competent, and she'll be dealing with foreign instead of domestic affairs. According to my recollection, it's always been her stance on domestic affairs that have made her a lightning rod for the opposing side, not her foreign position, right?

Additionally, she'll clearly take Obama to task when she disagrees with him. This is a very good thing, IMO. I think if you look at LBJ, Nixon, Bush, you can pretty easily see that bad stuff happens when everyone around you always agrees with you.

Scott D
12/2/2008, 02:32 PM
I think it's her domestic affairs stance that made her a lightning rod for well, everyone. Besides, at worst she'll be as invisible an non newsworthy as Condy Rice has been. ;)

Veritas
12/2/2008, 03:47 PM
She's smart, she's competent, and she'll be dealing with foreign instead of domestic affairs. According to my recollection, it's always been her stance on domestic affairs that have made her a lightning rod for the opposing side, not her foreign position, right?

Additionally, she'll clearly take Obama to task when she disagrees with him. This is a very good thing, IMO. I think if you look at LBJ, Nixon, Bush, you can pretty easily see that bad stuff happens when everyone around you always agrees with you.
Interesting that you name LBJ, Nixon and Bush...my wife and I were discussing the 'groupthink' problem that Obama referenced in the presser yesterday and those were the administrations that I identified as having suffered from a lack of respect for dissenting opinions.

lexsooner
12/2/2008, 04:34 PM

Great post. Obama clearly has learned from past history in selecting his national security team and cabinet. He has a number who will probably significantly differ from him in foreign policy, but a strong leader recognizes the importance of having a team of advisors with diverse opinions. I believe management studies have shown groups with members who have diverse backgrounds and philosophies tend to make better decisions than those with clones of one another.

So far, Obama has impressed the heck out of me. Notice his good decisions so far have shut up some of his haters on this board and elsewhere?

OklahomaTuba
12/2/2008, 04:41 PM
I think it's her domestic affairs stance that made her a lightning rod for well, everyone. Besides, at worst she'll be as invisible an non newsworthy as Condy Rice has been. ;)
Just without all the qualifications and experience and stuff like that.

She is THE LEAST qualified and experienced pick for SOS in this nations history, hands down.

OklahomaTuba
12/2/2008, 04:45 PM
Interesting that you name LBJ, Nixon and Bush...my wife and I were discussing the 'groupthink' problem that Obama referenced in the presser yesterday and those were the administrations that I identified as having suffered from a lack of respect for dissenting opinions.

I'm not sure that is 100% true for Bush. I would consider it more to be "panicthink" than a "groupthink" problem in the aftermath of 9/11.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/2/2008, 09:49 PM
Just without all the qualifications and experience and stuff like that.

She is THE LEAST qualified and experienced pick for SOS in this nations history, hands down.

OK I call -- tell me how Woodrow Wilson's SOS, William Jennings Bryan, was more qualified.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/3/2008, 09:17 AM

I expected more out of Condy Rice based on her credentials than she delivered. I know policy is driven from the WH, but I would expect more leadership from her than piano playing for the Queen.