PDA

View Full Version : I'm not gloating.

TUSooner
12/1/2008, 10:25 AM
But I'm not apologizing either, or arguing (much).
If I were a Longhorn; I'd be steamed. You have to admit there is some attractive logic behind the argument that Texas beat both teams who are playing in the Big XII CG. If we were in that spot, we'd be HOWLING. And ESPN and the usual suspects in the media would be on our side, too - harrumphing with indignation about how OU got screwed by a flawed BCS & Big XII system. We'd soak up all that sympathy, too, and condemn the evil "system" just like Texas and most of the media are doing right now. It's a big, easy target. So we shouldn't be gloating as if we'd have behaved better than Texas fans if the shoe were on the other foot. We would not.

Of course, those Texas fans never seem to remember Texas Tech. Ah yes, one of my favorite plays of all time: Harrell to Crabtree with 8 seconds left. The horns just won't accept the fact that 39-33 meant just as much as 45-35. They were one play away from avoiding all of this nonsense, but they didn't make the play. The system may stink, but it is what it is, and everybody involved knew what would happen in case of a 3-way tie. Heck, Texas's second best argument boils down to this: "OU beat Tech so badly that Tech shouldn't be included in the debate any more." Not quite as appealing as 45-35, is it? But whatever. We won under the system in place, and that's that. The end. No apologies are needed or appropriate. Texas wouldn't be apologizing if the roles were switched.

As for arguing: How can anybody be surprised that ESPN and the rest of the talking heads are talking about this? IT'S THEIR JOB !! IT'S WHY THEY EXIST !! Overkill is the media's stock in trade. Fellow Sooners, get over it. The only way to win any argument with anybody in sports is to WIN. Wanna shut ESPN's many mouths? Beat Mizzou, then win the BCS MNC game. Nothing else will do. Nothing else will matter. Anything else would be humiliation without a retort. I just hope Bob and OUr Team will focus on the task at hand and let the rest of the sports world blab and blab and blab.

TUSooner
12/1/2008, 11:14 AM
shameless, self-promoting bump

SoonerJack
12/1/2008, 11:16 AM
very astute observations, TU.

Ton Loc
12/1/2008, 11:20 AM
Same response from me on Texas, ESPN, and whoever else wants to complain =
F'EM :D

nytehorn
12/1/2008, 11:33 AM
I agree that no matter who got in, the other would be crying fowl. In reality, though, everyone agreed to the rules. Just like the Usc split championship. To me, LSU was the champ that year. Everyone agreed about the BCS poll before that season started, and everyone agreed about the Big XII tie-breaker rule before this season started. JMO, but the only ones who should be crying foul, are Utah, Boise St, and Ball St.
The actual only gripe I can conceive, is that the way it worked this year, the SEC is guaranteed a member will play in the nat'l title game. If OU loses to Mizzou, we are not. The only Big XII rule change to me, and I'm sure most would disagree, is that the winner of the North and the South play in the CCG, UNLESS 2 teams from the same division are ranked in the top 5, and the other division champ is not ranked in the top 10.
If that were the rule this year, then it would be TX-OU for the CCG, and we would also be assured of a team in the nat'l championship game.
Makes sense to me, but I am on vacation and drinking beer at 10:30 in the morning! What do I know? :D

47straight
12/1/2008, 11:40 AM
Sorry, the "we beat both teams playing in the CCG" isn't logic, just an observation on irony.

budbarrybob
12/1/2008, 03:21 PM
In the book of etiquette, its ok to gloat after tuesday!