PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't anyone talking about OU's drop in polls?

sooner n houston
12/1/2008, 08:37 AM
How can a top five team beat #11 and drop in the Harris poll, while another top five team beats a no body and gains two spots????

There is a story for the ESPN talking heads!

Aries
12/1/2008, 08:39 AM
Someone is.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125790

Sooner70
12/1/2008, 08:58 AM
Thank God for the computers this time, or this thing would've went the wrong way.

Coupla things could've happened.....first of all, the ESPN folks (except Holtz) were way off the beam in pushing Texas' stock in this thing.

My respect for Herbstreit has dropped a bit because of his comments. By my reckoning, Lou Holtz had the only logic on that staff....OU & Florida are playing the best football in the country right now. Howard was kinda Ok, Fowler still hung up on RRS. The computers don't look at just one game with the emotion and subjectivity that the voters & EsPN do. Anyway, the ESPN bunch (& to a degree Fox) started this "Poor Texas" crap & Mack/spinmiesters kept it up....suspect a lot behind the scenes. It changed some Harris votes & almost payed off. Only thing, Mac & co couldn't fool the computers.

Computers saw a 20 point win over a ranked OSU team being worth more than a 40 point win over non ranked aTm. Both rivalries. Nothing unfair about that.

Sooner in Tampa
12/1/2008, 09:36 AM
It is illogical that OU beats a #11 ranked team on the road and sexat beats an unranked doormat @ home AND OU loses votes. NO WAY NO HOW...THAT is an agenda.

bri
12/1/2008, 10:09 AM
How can a top five team beat #11 and drop in the Harris poll, while another top five team beats a no body and gains two spots????

Because (and I quote multiple articles I've read) "the polls got it right".

F*ck the world. Let's take all the trophies and make the dickholsters like it.

The Maestro
12/1/2008, 10:14 AM
If they wanted to argue about the Harris Poll, they should have done it the previous week when we passed Texas. But since we did after Tech, the argument cannot be made to then move Texas back ahead when they beat a crappy team at home and we win by 20 at OSU.

I am with bri on this one. Screw everyone else. We just beat Missouri and raise that crystal football in Miami and they can all pucker up and kiss our ***!

boomersooner28
12/1/2008, 10:16 AM
AMEN!!!!!!!

birddog
12/1/2008, 10:21 AM
did you all see what a Harris Interactive Voter said?..

Trammel asked voter and former OSU SID who he would vote for between texas and OU if OU won on Sat. his reply, "Oh, I don't know, doesn't really matter because i think Alabama and Penn State will probably play for the NC. They're the only undefeated teams, aren't they."

this is the kind of stupidity we have to deal with.

boomersooner28
12/1/2008, 10:35 AM
When it comes to polls and who's voting in them, I don't know which is worst. The idiots that have no idea what sport they are voting on in the Harris Poll or the AP writers? Don't trust either of them.

MojoRisen
12/1/2008, 10:59 AM
Just remember that Texas was behind us in the polls after the TECH loss and only passed us after 3 full weeks and because of our bye week.

We then repassed them after the thumping we put on Tech - only to be passed again for beating the 11th ranked Aggies in Bedlam in stillwater...

There is nothing logical about that - that is clear power towting... If I were Florida - who had nothing too do with this OU/UT thing - would be screaming bloody murder for getting passed in the human polls after a thumping they put on Florida St at their place.

FLORIDA should be screaming-

The humans are clearly the problem with the BCS - I have screamed at a few computers as well-

New system is needed completely or - we will continue to see more and more of this non logical BS - that makes you loose brain cells listning to every day.

Sorry Texas- you lost to Tech and blew it..... If you were so much better than us- clearly you should have handled Tech-

Is home field advantage worth 50 points?????

That's the real travesty here - PEOPLE and MEDIA are completely out of controll with their little bit of Power they have to influence....

Pretty soon there could be some violence that springs from this stuff if it continues to be ill logical.

All the voters have to do is be more consistent - they dug this whole and could not dig themselves out of it....

That is their on F'n problem.....

As for Texas- nice try- but hey it didn't quite work- it almost did though...

HolaKyle
12/1/2008, 11:00 AM
I have always been a supporter of the BCS, but right now it is hard to stick behind it. I like it the old way, where the computers carried more weight.

There was an agenda this time around. And for someone to deny it is not wanting to look at what is staring you in the face. We should not have dropped in the polls. No way no how!

I "love" how ESPN is saying that the human's picked texas. It was a virtual tie in both polls. There was a very small margin of difference.

They either need to eliminate the BCS all together (not go to the SEC way of things) to determine tie breakers, or publish the votes the last 2 weeks of the BCS.

stoopified
12/1/2008, 11:08 AM
You all are forgetting that whineybag Brown is a great Snakeoil salesman.Apparently some Harris voters bought it.The funny thing is he didn't havea great deal of sucess selling the Coaches who vote in the USA Today Poll.UT did gain ground but OU was still ranked ahead of them by THE COACHES.

MiccoMacey
12/1/2008, 11:08 AM
I can understand flux in the polls over the course of a season. Especially when impact games are played. It changes the dynamic of the whole field.

But we're talking about Texas playing a 4-8 A&M team at home versus OU playing a top 12 team on the road. There was absolutely nothing that could have impacted voter's perceptions other than the lobbying by Texas.

That's why I hate polls...they are extremely subject to whims.

Plus, at the end of the day we're only talking about 5 points out of almost 4,000. That's the difference in the points for OU versus Texas in BOTH polls. It's not like Texas had some huge lead in the human vote and the computers saved them...it was basically even with the humans and the computers broke the tie.

bri
12/1/2008, 12:30 PM
So the computers broke the BCS tie that broke the Big 12 South tie?

Yeah, this is soooo much better than a playoff.

MojoRisen
12/1/2008, 12:42 PM
I still think the computers are much better than a political campaign to break the tie....

Imagine what this would come to in the future if that were not the case.... Next someone would parachute into the game streaking Texas written all over him or her... Or 39-33 all over them....

Does anyone think there are going to be a lot of fights next year at the RRS??? I have been taking my nephews and it has been getting a little more iffy every year since 9/11 - going back to fighting and pretty dangerous environment...

I can hang- but would hate to have to take mob with me instead of the little kids

Partial Qualifier
12/1/2008, 12:46 PM
Why isn't anyone talking about OU's drop in polls?

Oh we are, it's just a little veiled with all the contempt for the talking heads who made it their agenda to try & screw up the polls in the first place.

Trust me, peoples be trippin :D

IBleedCrimson
12/1/2008, 12:54 PM
the truth is mac's politicking worked to some degree. To beat a damn good rival team who is ranked on the road, and DROP in the polls is absurd. The only explaination is that the politics worked.

I think olevet said it best in another thread, the system is seriously flawed, no question, but everyone knew the rules before the season. It's not like any of these tiebreakers were decided a couple of days ago just to benefit ou. Everyone knew the rules, now Texas fans are bitchin and moaning cause it didn't go their way.

It happened to go our way and I'm excited as hell it did. To longhorn fans... This is the system we all play under. If u don't llike it boycott the fiesta bowl. That would be the best way to stick it to them, a nice hard kick in the wallet.

Cheers to my first ever post on soonerfans.

oupride
12/1/2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the post

bri
12/1/2008, 01:15 PM
Jesus Christ, could someone teach this monkey how to use the f*cking reputation feature so we don't have all these goddamn "thanks for the post" posts tarding up the place?

Sheesh.

sooner_born_1960
12/1/2008, 01:18 PM
Good idea, bri. Thanks.

bri
12/1/2008, 01:28 PM
AAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

roostercogburn
12/1/2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the post.

OUDoc
12/1/2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks, bri!

OKC-SLC
12/1/2008, 02:32 PM
In for the thanks.

OUinFLA
12/1/2008, 02:37 PM
bri, it's hard to disagree with you.
thanks for pointing that out.

sooneron
12/1/2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the toast!

kbsooner21
12/1/2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks Bri!

MamaMia
12/1/2008, 02:57 PM
spek hoors

IBleedCrimson
12/1/2008, 03:07 PM
what's reputation? Thanks for the post

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 08:52 PM
Jesus Christ, could someone teach this monkey how to use the f*cking reputation feature so we don't have all these goddamn "thanks for the post" posts BRItarding up the place?

Sheesh.

HEH :D
Oh and Fixed

bri
12/1/2008, 08:55 PM
Dang, I forgot we were using that now. Good catch. :D

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 09:00 PM
Dang, I forgot we were using that now. Good catch. :D

:D :P