PDA

View Full Version : Bison Meat

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2008, 02:51 AM
Watching Ted Turner on Meet the Press has me thinking about trying bison meat. I've had several opportunities, but I've never taken the plunge.

Does anyone here eat bison and if so is how would you rate/describe it? Please don't say it tastes like chicken.

pott_2
12/1/2008, 03:11 AM
Bison meat is delicious. I have eaten it many times at Ted Turner's Montana grill when I lived in Atlanta. I like it far better than beef. It tastes nothing like chicken. It is more like a very fine beef. It is so very tender. I am hungry.

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2008, 03:13 AM
Bison meat is delicious. I have eaten it many times at Ted Turner's Montana grill when I lived in Atlanta. I like it far better than beef. It tastes nothing like chicken. It is more like a very fine beef. It is so very tender. I am hungry.

Does it taste gamey? I'm not a fan of deer and other game type ****.

pott_2
12/1/2008, 03:16 AM
Not at all. Go for it. Bison burgers are the best.

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2008, 03:20 AM
Nice. I'm going to throw some of these on the grill this weekend.

BigRedJed
12/1/2008, 09:43 AM
Not gamey. Tends to be really lean though, which can cause some cooking challenges -- dry hamburgers, etc., if you're not careful.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2008, 09:46 AM
very lean..I had to toss the first round to the dog after drying them all up, but second round went good

soonerinabilene
12/1/2008, 11:23 AM
It is very delicious, but as mentioned, it is virtually fat free so it dries out if you are not careful, ESPECIALLY on the grill. I recommend mixing a raw egg in with the meat to hold it together better if you are doing burgers.

soonerinabilene
12/1/2008, 11:24 AM
Oh, and if you want to try it without cooking it yourself, the buffalo burger at Ruby Tuesdays is off the chain.

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 01:40 PM
It is very delicious, but as mentioned, it is virtually fat free so it dries out if you are not careful, ESPECIALLY on the grill. I recommend mixing a raw egg in with the meat to hold it together better if you are doing burgers.

Yup On the egg, depending on How Many Burgers yer Making you Mite wanta add another or so .
I make Buff Burgers every time we Play Colorado .:D

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2008, 01:45 PM
Would wrapping the steak in bacon like a beef filet stop the meat from drying out? I'm not digging the egg thing.

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 01:57 PM
Would wrapping the steak in bacon like a beef filet stop the meat from drying out? I'm not digging the egg thing.

You Talking Burgers or Steaks ?

IB4OU2
12/1/2008, 02:21 PM
Is it stringy and lean like Jane Fonda?

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2008, 02:31 PM
You Talking Burgers or Steaks ?

Steaks. I'll move on to burgers after I try the steak.

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2008, 02:34 PM
Is it stringy and lean like Jane Fonda?

I have no interest in eating Jane Fonda.

Although seeing her roasting over an open flame has a certain appeal.

NYC Poke
12/1/2008, 02:52 PM
The burgers are delicious. I haven't tried a steak and would be wary because of the reasons previously mentioned. Aren't there some places in Lawton where you can be buffalo burgers?

LoyalFan
12/1/2008, 03:16 PM
My pet bison, Ferbie, turns 200 (in bison years) this Sunday. Yer all invited to his Bisontennial Celebration. Really!

No Colorado students or alums will be admitted.

LF

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 03:22 PM
Steaks. I'll move on to burgers after I try the steak.

You wrap It with bacon .
Be sure to get some Beef base to Keep the Meat Moist.
I mix up some Bulion add a Lil garlic , pepper and salt . Then just take a spoon and pour a Little On the steak as its Cooking .

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 03:23 PM
Plus Brushin On some sesame seed Oil befor Cooking will also Help keep it Moist .

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2008, 03:24 PM
The burgers are delicious. I haven't tried a steak and would be wary because of the reasons previously mentioned. Aren't there some places in Lawton where you can be buffalo burgers?

You can get them at Woolaroc which isn't in Lawton but then again neither am I so this helps no one.

BigRedJed
12/1/2008, 06:05 PM
The place that people are talking about for bison in Lawton is the Wichita Buffalo Company (http://www.sandyspringsfarms.com/wbc%20meat.htm). They sell steaks and other cuts of meat, plus jerky and meat sticks. They have some retail locations around the state that they wholesale to. Highly recommended.

BigRedJed
12/1/2008, 06:05 PM
Interesting about using an egg when making hamburgers. I'll have to try that.

All I know is that I hate it when my meat is dry.

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 06:09 PM

I use an egg Most of the time . Plus add a Lil bit Of BBQ sauce

BudSooner
12/1/2008, 06:44 PM
You could, I suppose ask a butcher for some fat....maybe a thin slice or two from a rump roast(we trimmed the fat off when people would want it sliced for jerky)and lay it on top of the burgers....I dunno.

We sold buffalo when I was at Reasors, and to me it was as lean or lean(er?) than ground round or sirloin. Heard it was damn good too.

GottaHavePride
12/1/2008, 09:29 PM
Bison is delicious. We've got a Ted's Montana Grill right by my house. But yeah, bison tastes like very high quality (and extremely lean) beef. Wrap it in bacon and cook it fast. (High heat, sear it. If you're cooking it more than medium you shouldn't be eating steak anyway.)

Rogue
12/1/2008, 09:34 PM
Bison?

It's BUFFALO fercryin'outloud.

And the burgers are good stuff.

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2008, 09:59 PM
Bison is delicious. We've got a Ted's Montana Grill right by my house. But yeah, bison tastes like very high quality (and extremely lean) beef. Wrap it in bacon and cook it fast. (High heat, sear it. If you're cooking it more than medium you shouldn't be eating steak anyway.)

I typically eat my steak well done, but I've compromised on my principles and go for medium well these days. I can handle a slight pink center.

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 10:42 PM
I typically eat my steak well done, but I've compromised on my principles and go for medium well these days. I can handle a slight pink center.

http://ricster.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/burned-pancake.jpg
Ya that looks real tasty huh

Curly Bill
12/1/2008, 10:47 PM

No smart-*** comments about Jed and his dry meat yet? You people are falling down on the job here. :D

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2008, 10:49 PM
No smart-*** comments about Jed and his dry meat yet? You people are falling down on the job here. :D

I said something to him in spek.

Curly Bill
12/1/2008, 10:50 PM
I said something to him in spek.

...but how are the rest of us supposed to get a laugh that way? :D

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 10:55 PM
...but how are the rest of us supposed to get a laugh that way? :D

But Sicem Like His meat DRY :D

Curly Bill
12/1/2008, 11:02 PM
Dry meat is the suck....er...yeah.

GottaHavePride
12/1/2008, 11:19 PM

Well done? What's the point of a steak, then?

Try telling a girl you don't like it pink in the middle and see what she says.

Wait, did I just steal bri's line?

BigRedJed
12/2/2008, 12:08 AM
I laughed at the spek comment. :D And then I shuddered a little bit. :O

BigRedJed
12/2/2008, 12:11 AM
Here, I'll show you what I mean:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gifBison Meat (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2510993#post2510993)12/1/2008 05:12 PMSicEmBaylor (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/member.php?u=39714)Dry meat sucks. Wet meat is definitely the way to go. -SicEm

BigRedJed
12/2/2008, 12:12 AM
Also, Bison is the correct term. More precisely, North American Bison. Buffalo are found in Africa.

BigRedJed
12/2/2008, 12:13 AM
Just wanted to make one more consecutive post.

salth2o
12/2/2008, 12:22 AM
Just wanted to make one more consecutive post.

Post padding whore!

pott_2
12/2/2008, 12:32 AM
I use an egg Most of the time . Plus add a Lil bit Of BBQ sauce

The egg idea is brilliant and sounds delicious. I have never tried that. I always add extra fat to lean ground meat.

salth2o
12/2/2008, 12:37 AM
I use 1 egg per pound of meat. FYI...be careful to not use too much bbq sauce, it will have an adverse affect on the consistency of the meat and the patties will not hold form.

olevetonahill
12/2/2008, 01:58 AM
Dry meat is the suck....er...yeah.

I have been Known to use a Lil Spit on it .:D

olevetonahill
12/2/2008, 02:01 AM
The egg idea is brilliant and sounds delicious. I have never tried that. I always add extra fat to lean ground meat.

Hell Bro I add an egg to regular Ground Beef also .

olevetonahill
12/2/2008, 02:02 AM
I use 1 egg per pound of meat. FYI...be careful to not use too much bbq sauce, it will have an adverse affect on the consistency of the meat and the patties will not hold form.

Plus dont add that Worcester sauce crap :mad: