PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea

mdklatt
12/1/2008, 12:17 AM
As a break from all the BCS/CCG talk, here's my crazy idea. It came to me during the Cactus Aggy game, where the ASU defense scored virtually all of their points.

What if defensive scores subtracted from your opponent's score rather than adding to your own? That way, the score would highlight both your offense's and defense's contribution, and give more credit and a little extra motivation to the defense. They could literally take points off the board. Negative scores would be allowed, of course.

TopDawg
12/1/2008, 12:25 AM
I've always thought you should have that option. If the score is 10-3 and you score a defensive touchdown, maybe you could take 3 points from your opponent and add 4 to your own. I mean, I like the negative points and all...I just think we need to start with baby steps.

vigilantesooner
12/1/2008, 12:40 AM
I like that, brings the score down and makes the defense look better. One question though: what if the score was something like 35 to -21 in the 4th quarter, coach leaves his defensive starters in and they get another touchdown? Would that be considered running down the score?

So many tough things to consider here.

TopDawg
12/1/2008, 12:53 AM
Running down the score...nice.

Maybe all games should end with one team at zero. So if OU and Texas are playing and OU scores the first 14 points, it's 14-0, OU. Then if Texas scores 10 straight, it's 4-0, OU. Then OU scores a FG, making it 7-0, OU; but Texas responds with 10 more points, making it 3-0 Texas. Then, of course, we rattle off 28 straight and win by a score of 25-0. That way, you've got scoring margin built in...NO MATH!