PDA

View Full Version : I think we should give Texas fans a couple of days...

Soonerus
11/30/2008, 11:48 PM
...to get over their anger, frustration and utter melt down....however, if it continues beyond about Wednesday we can officially label them as extremely poor sports...

CatfishSooner
11/30/2008, 11:50 PM
might as well already label them that...they won't get over it...evar!

vigilantesooner
11/30/2008, 11:54 PM
I say we find the nearest Tx fan immediately and laugh at him.

bluedogok
11/30/2008, 11:58 PM
The ones at work were expecting this to happen already and admitted it would probably happen when we talked about it before leaving for Thanksgiving...of course the Tech fan was relishing in the possibility of it happening if we weren't going to lose to OSU.

Soonerus
11/30/2008, 11:58 PM
I am giving Texas fans a few days...

vigilantesooner
12/1/2008, 12:07 AM
I am giving Texas fans a few days...

After the shameless politicking the past few days, holding interviews in the middle of our game, hiring planes to fly over during GameDay, calling everybody who could stand the whining, contacting all the voters, etc. and going on ad nauseam, I am glad I have this opportunity to laugh at them. Maybe it's bad sportsmanship, but they set the tone and I'm pretty pissed about it.

bri
12/1/2008, 12:12 AM
You feel free to give them a grace period. I'm gonna go ahead and grant them full "bitch" status, retroactive to birth.

iknowyoudidnt
12/1/2008, 12:15 AM
For a fan base that's so quick to call something "aggy," their 45-35 campaign was pretty childish. I definitely understand why they feel slighted over all this, and I'd be pissed too if I were them. But, I'd be embarrassed by something like that if it were our fans.

StoopTroup
12/1/2008, 12:18 AM
They can quit whining and stop embarrassing our conference anytime now. They tried to run the SWC...Arkansas hates them to this very day.

No grace period Rus. Not ever.

There is absolutely no way they deserve it. Did you go to the RRSO Rus? If you did...I can't believe you'd give them a split second. Especially after all the crap we've seen this last two weeks from Mack and the fan base.

Seriously?

mdklatt
12/1/2008, 12:21 AM
To: [email protected]

http://mail2.someecards.com/filestorage/ap_77.jpg

Soonerus
12/1/2008, 12:22 AM
I am just trying to be empathetic...under these somewhat extreme circumstances....

noobalicious
12/1/2008, 12:24 AM
Screw them. After all the crap I got after the RRS...they can suck it.

StoopTroup
12/1/2008, 12:24 AM
I am just trying to be empathetic...under these somewhat extreme circumstances....

Screw em.

ouwasp
12/1/2008, 12:26 AM
oh, I don't like tx any better than anybody else here. But if the shoe were on the other foot I'd bear a grudge from here to eternity if a MNC resulted for my hated rival.

I work with a ut fan, a great guy. Last Monday he was pretty feisty about what was likely to happen. By mid-week he said he was dealing with it mind-over-matter like; "if I don't mind, it don't matter". Mack needs to visit with my ut friend...

Soonerus
12/1/2008, 12:27 AM
I just think if the tables were turned it might take me a day or two to get over the initial impact....

vigilantesooner
12/1/2008, 12:28 AM
Soonerus, these extreme circumstances are what this rivalry is about, finally getting a chance to truly rub their noses in it. They made sure they didn't deserve any sympathy after all the crap they pulled with the help of ABC et al. After that, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us to really stick it to them, it's beautiful, I love it, and I'm very close to doing an Irish jig out of sheer joy.

mdklatt
12/1/2008, 12:29 AM
There is a cure for all this inappropriate whornfan loving: get thee to the next RRSO, stat!

Soonerus
12/1/2008, 12:30 AM
Soonerus, these extreme circumstances are what this rivalry is about, finally getting a chance to truly rub their noses in it. They made sure they didn't deserve any sympathy after all the crap they pulled with the help of ABC et al. After that, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us to really stick it to them, it's beautiful, I love it, and I'm very close to doing an Irish jig out of sheer joy.

I cannot dispute any of that...

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 12:36 AM
:texan: s succs
The thing worked , Dont matter what anyone thinks .
I said Before , If Saxet gets In then Good fer em .
It all Boils down to the Fact WE all should have won and NOT lost .;)

PDXsooner
12/1/2008, 12:40 AM
I'll give them nothing but chuckles and laughs in their faces. They should have learned to play better Pass D in Luibbock or they'd be here...

A Sooner in Texas
12/1/2008, 12:45 AM
Texas hate for OU runs deep and wide, and the gulf has broadened immensely now. They will never forget this and the whining will only get louder. I am so proud our coach didn't resort to the politicking Mack Brown did. He didn't have to. Apparently Mack was truly desperate. Thank you, Coach Stoops, Sam and all our wonderful Sooners for letting everything that needed to be said take place on the field, where it belongs.

bluedogok
12/1/2008, 12:46 AM
If Gideon catches that interception.......

PDXsooner
12/1/2008, 12:48 AM
If Gideon catches that interception.......

If my Aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

;)

Brons2
12/1/2008, 12:52 AM
Personally, I have found a new favorite target: Mizzou.

By losing to Kansas, they tanked our strength of schedule enough so that the computers favored OU. Texas actually got the human vote, which was strange and unexpected. But the computers turned on us thanks to Mizzou.

However, the computers also turned on Florida, which has their fans freaking out about how the Orange Bowl will be a OU-Texas rematch if they don't jump back over Texas assuming they beat Alabama. Personally I don't see it happening for Texas, but that would be wild if it did.

Brons2
12/1/2008, 01:00 AM
The thing worked ,

It did? I think this is a mess. The problem is, that you have the whole country deciding on who should win the Big 12 South. That isn't right. If there is a 3 way tie, it is a Big 12 problem and should be decided internally within the Big 12. There's lots of other stats or permutations you could use based on conference play to break the tie. Using BCS rankings, where the humans can change their votes around as they see fit (and did so to favor Texas!!) is subjective, not objective.

One stat you could use is margin of victory in conference games. OU won theirs by 26, Texas by 25.5. Same result, but at least it's not as completely arbitrary as using the BCS rankings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=roadtobcs/0807

In the end, it was what we expected.

It just happened far differently than anyone had imagined.

What if Mizzou hadn't lost to KU? The humans might have got away with screwing over OU. You can't think any of this is right. Yes it benefitted OU this time, but it could turn on you in the future.

OK2LA
12/1/2008, 01:18 AM
The problem is, that you have the whole country deciding on who should win the Big 12 South. That isn't right. If there is a 3 way tie, it is a Big 12 problem and should be decided internally within the Big 12.

The Big XII has decided. They decided to use an outside source to determine the winner. . . . . It is the FIFTH tie breaker!!

Do you really think that this was just drafted by one guy? They got together, and had the where with all to think this far down the road, and came to the conclusion that if they do have 3 teams in this situation, THEY didn't want the decision coming down to SOMEONE ruling on it. They wanted to have the highest ranked team go. It actually makes sense.

Does this suck for you? Yes.

Would it have sucked for us? Yes.

Does it suck for Tech, who isn't even in the friggin argument - not only because of how badly they lost, but because they lost latest out of all of us. They only have 1 loss!!!!

You can't think any of this is right. Yes it benefitted OU this time, but it could turn on you in the future.

I can't?

As a matter of fact, I do. Sure it would've sucked to be in your position, but those were the rules that all of our schools agreed to. Should we start changing the rules in the middle of the game? Come on? You sound like aggy. Just because it doesn't suit you?

I'm ok with this rule staying the way that it is - even if it does come back to bite us.

YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE IF YOU DON'T TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS!!! YOU WOULDN'T BE IN THIS POSITION IF YOU HAD WON ALL OF YOUR GAMES!!!

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 01:30 AM
It did? I think this is a mess. The problem is, that you have the whole country deciding on who should win the Big 12 South. That isn't right. If there is a 3 way tie, it is a Big 12 problem and should be decided internally within the Big 12. There's lots of other stats or permutations you could use based on conference play to break the tie. Using BCS rankings, where the humans can change their votes around as they see fit (and did so to favor Texas!!) is subjective, not objective.

One stat you could use is margin of victory in conference games. OU won theirs by 26, Texas by 25.5. Same result, but at least it's not as completely arbitrary as using the BCS rankings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=roadtobcs/0807

What if Mizzou hadn't lost to KU? The humans might have got away with screwing over OU. You can't think any of this is right. Yes it benefitted OU this time, but it could turn on you in the future.

Yes it did Ya running Dumas
OUR team agreed to this . Your team agreed to this .
several years ago ,
Dont Like It ?
Then we can Change it Next year . Unless it Looks Like the :texan: s will benifit .

OK2LA
12/1/2008, 01:34 AM
Yes it benefitted OU this time, but it could turn on you in the future.

I started thinking about this again.

What do you propose to be the tie breaker? Ok - your argument is to change the system . . . . the FIRST TIME that it is implemented!!! GENIUS

WHY? ("because it turned on you.")

So do we change the rule to reflect your idea? (margin of victory in conference games) This would fly in the face of sportsmanship. You'd have teams running up the score even more than it happens already, and you f'in' :mack: tejas fans would be bitching again about the evil Bob Stoops for running up the score on Baylor and Iowa State.

Pick another determining factor. Whatever the deciding factor is - there will always be a disappointed fan base, and ESPN will jump on that bandwagon and tell their tear jerking story.

- By the way, you guys really out did yourselves with the 45-35 website, printing signs, banner flying around our game, and the sideline interview with the goober who you elected to champion your cause.

jagoffs

Brons2
12/1/2008, 01:43 AM
No, I don't propose that we can change the rules in the middle of the season, and I accept the result for 2008. Under the current system OU is the South Champion, and Texas fans are just going to have to suck it up and deal with it.

What I don't accept is the theory that this is the best way to break a 3 way tie. You've got people in Portland ME, and Portland, OR, making decisions about who's going to win the tiebreaker in the Big 12? Yes the Big 12 made a decision...on the 5th tiebreaker, they're going to punt to the national media and some computer based algorithms.

In the offseason, there are conference meetings. The 3 way tiebreaker rule could be examined, and if a majority (whatever majority the Big 12 bylaws stipulate) of teams wanted it changed, it would be changed, and if they didn't, then it wouldn't.

I can't argue that, this got the Big 12 a lot of publicity. The Big 12 south race was on the tip of every sportscaster in America's tongue for the last 2-3 weeks.

I am well aware of the pratfalls of not winning all your games. I had nightmares about the Tech game for days. (catch the ball...zzzzzzzzzz....catch the ball....zzzzz)

Oh well. It could be worse, we'll still go to a BCS game. Poor Tech will end up back in the Cotton Bowl, probably against Ole Miss. If Tech was in the Pac-10 in a 3 way tie, they'd be the champion as the Pac-10 3 way tiebreaker rule is that the team with the longest drought goes to the Rose Bowl. That's why if by some miracle UCLA were to beat USC, then Oregon State would go to the Rose Bowl since there would be a 3 way tie. I'm sure more hilarity would ensue if that happened...

vigilantesooner
12/1/2008, 02:45 AM
No, I don't propose that we can change the rules in the middle of the season, and I accept the result for 2008. Under the current system OU is the South Champion, and Texas fans are just going to have to suck it up and deal with it.

What I don't accept is the theory that this is the best way to break a 3 way tie. You've got people in Portland ME, and Portland, OR, making decisions about who's going to win the tiebreaker in the Big 12? Yes the Big 12 made a decision...on the 5th tiebreaker, they're going to punt to the national media and some computer based algorithms.

In the offseason, there are conference meetings. The 3 way tiebreaker rule could be examined, and if a majority (whatever majority the Big 12 bylaws stipulate) of teams wanted it changed, it would be changed, and if they didn't, then it wouldn't.

I can't argue that, this got the Big 12 a lot of publicity. The Big 12 south race was on the tip of every sportscaster in America's tongue for the last 2-3 weeks.

I am well aware of the pratfalls of not winning all your games. I had nightmares about the Tech game for days. (catch the ball...zzzzzzzzzz....catch the ball....zzzzz)

Oh well. It could be worse, we'll still go to a BCS game. Poor Tech will end up back in the Cotton Bowl, probably against Ole Miss. If Tech was in the Pac-10 in a 3 way tie, they'd be the champion as the Pac-10 3 way tiebreaker rule is that the team with the longest drought goes to the Rose Bowl. That's why if by some miracle UCLA were to beat USC, then Oregon State would go to the Rose Bowl since there would be a 3 way tie. I'm sure more hilarity would ensue if that happened...

The ideal of breaking a perfect 3 way tie is to find a method which is both objective and discovers the most qualified of the 3 to represent the South. Using the BCS might not be the best tiebreaker, but it solves both of these objectives.

Frankly, when there's three teams who are perfectly tied, there's no such thing as a satisfactory tie breaker. Use the SEC's and you're still using the BCS to break the tie, which is once again punting our problem to the rest of the nation. Use margin of victory and you'll get people complaining about running up the score. Plus imagine the state of the underwhelmed South teams who lose their first conference game 75-0 because their opponent has to win big to cover their @ss just in case.

A perfect 3-way tie leaves somebody unhappy. You can argue that Tech is theoretically out of the argument because of their destruction at the hands of OU, but you can't use h2h as the decisive factor, because if OU's win was THAT devastating, it also shows that OU has become a great team late in the season, and it casts doubt on how good Texas really is.

The BCS tiebreaker isn't perfect, but it's objective, and it pulls out the best team among 3 perfectly tied teams, and that's a pretty good way to settle it.

tbl
12/1/2008, 02:51 AM

Put it against common opponents (even including OU/TX)...

TX
Sat, Nov 8 Baylor
45 21

OU
Sat, Oct 4 at Baylor
49 17

TX
Sat, Oct 11 at (1) Oklahoma
45 35

OU
Sat, Oct 11 (5) Texas
35 45

TX
Sat, Nov 15 at Kansas
35 7

OU
Sat, Oct 18 (16) Kansas
45 31

TX
Thu, Nov 27 Texas A&M
49 9

OU
Sat, Nov 8 at Texas A&M
66 28

TX
Sat, Nov 1 at (6) Texas Tech
33 39

OU
Sat, Nov 22 (2) Texas Tech
65 21

TX
Sat, Oct 25 (7) Oklahoma State
28 24

OU
Sat, Nov 29 at (11) Oklahoma State
61 41

TX
235 135

OU
321 183

Margin of victory:

TX

OU

38 points in favor of OU. woot.

tbl
12/1/2008, 02:54 AM
Take those numbers and include the non conference SOS, and I think there is a very clear case for OU. Seriously...

Sure the whorns can argue their little 4 week run, but we had two VERY tough non conference games, in addition to playing those same teams (with the exception of Mizzu).

OU wins. woot.

Jacie
12/1/2008, 07:03 AM
Not a slap at Bron or nyte or mojo, but if you were to ask the citizens of hornfans.com for new tie breaker rules I think one of them would be the school furtherest south.

Back to the title topic . . .

I disagree!

Yesterday I was reading about how the public comment number to the Big XII office was posted and people were encouraged to share their helpful suggestions (I bet the horns had a boatlaod of those).

There was a post that Texas leave the Big XII for the SEC (Jethro marries Ellie May).

Another one called for going independent (see ya!).

One poster invoked the President and President-elect to do something about the BCS, override it or something.

The volume of posts screaming about the injustice was high even by aggrieved longhorn standards.

Cut them some slack? No way! They brought this one on all by themselves, the call from Mack during the game, the text messaging during the OU/tech game, the banner, the sign . . . all of this was so over the top even for arrogant Texas fans (sorry about repeating myself).

I keep reading "if the shoe were on the other foot", well it kinda was, twice in consecutive seasons. OU got jobbed at tech four years ago, at Oregon two years ago. We complained pretty hard about both of those but I don't recall any "campaigns" or anything involving signs, flyovers, phone calls or whatever.

Bottom line: Texas fans = crybabies

bri
12/1/2008, 07:36 AM
Personally, I have found a new favorite target: Mizzou.

By losing to Kansas, they tanked our strength of schedule enough so that the computers favored OU. Texas actually got the human vote, which was strange and unexpected. But the computers turned on us thanks to Mizzou.

Strange and unexpected? After your coach spent five straight days offering to suck dick for votes? How is that "strange and unexpected"? Are you a goldfish?

OK2LA
12/1/2008, 11:12 AM
The ideal of breaking a perfect 3 way tie is to find a method which is both objective and discovers the most qualified of the 3 to represent the South. Using the BCS might not be the best tiebreaker, but it solves both of these objectives.

Frankly, when there's three teams who are perfectly tied, there's no such thing as a satisfactory tie breaker. Use the SEC's and you're still using the BCS to break the tie, which is once again punting our problem to the rest of the nation. Use margin of victory and you'll get people complaining about running up the score. Plus imagine the state of the underwhelmed South teams who lose their first conference game 75-0 because their opponent has to win big to cover their @ss just in case.

A perfect 3-way tie leaves somebody unhappy. You can argue that Tech is theoretically out of the argument because of their destruction at the hands of OU, but you can't use h2h as the decisive factor, because if OU's win was THAT devastating, it also shows that OU has become a great team late in the season, and it casts doubt on how good Texas really is.

The BCS tiebreaker isn't perfect, but it's objective, and it pulls out the best team among 3 perfectly tied teams, and that's a pretty good way to settle it.

Well said.

Brons2
12/2/2008, 12:11 AM
Strange and unexpected? After your coach spent five straight days offering to suck dick for votes? How is that "strange and unexpected"? Are you a goldfish?

And it wasn't whoring to score that last TD in the OSU game with :25 left up 13? "OU scored 60+ four games in a row" is a pretty gaudy media headline.

Besides what is Mack supposed to do? Have some media conference where he says "Boys, Oklahoma is so awesome that we cannot even hope to take the field with them. We should just go ahead and forefeit now". No, he's going to advocate for his team.

As for the 45-35 campaign, I thought it was over the top aggy and I did not participate in any way. The person in the seat next to me at the A&M game brought extra placards. I refused to hold them up.

Someone mentioned HornFans. I don't post there, but I'm surprised it didn't crash from the cacophony of whining. I do post on the Burnt Orange Fan Zone and a number of people got to take 1 day timeouts.

Texas fans should be proud, rather than whining. I personally thought this team was going to suck, I predicted 7-5 before the season. They turned out a lot better than I thought was possible, because although the team does not have great individual talent, they play as a team more than any other Mack Brown team including the 05 MNC team.

bri
12/2/2008, 12:25 AM
And it wasn't whoring to score that last TD in the OSU game with :25 left up 13? "OU scored 60+ four games in a row" is a pretty gaudy media headline.

What the f*ck? IT WAS A SIMPLE HANDOFF INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE LINE! It's not our fault aggy sucked just as much at the end of the game as they did the rest of it. And all Chris did when he scored was drop the ball and run back to the sideline; he didn't stop and give five interviews along the way promising to make it "worth your while" if you'd just see it in your heart to change your vote.

Besides what is Mack supposed to do? Have some media conference where he says "Boys, Oklahoma is so awesome that we cannot even hope to take the field with them. We should just go ahead and forefeit now". No, he's going to advocate for his team.

Look, you're a Horn. You're gonna think Mack was on the side of the angels. But lemme give you a vocab lession: Bob advocated for his team. He stated our side in the Tech postgame...and then that was it. Mack made a mockery of himself, your school, the system, babies, gramma, and the US of A with his incessant whining and pleading.

Our approach won, by the way. Maybe you guys should try "quiet dignity and excellence" next time, as "please, please, pretty please" seems to have run its course.

Paperclip
12/2/2008, 12:34 AM
FWIW, Brons is a good guy. You kids be nice. :)

aurorasooner
12/2/2008, 12:35 AM
And all Chris did when he scored was drop the ball and run back to the sideline; he didn't stop and give five interviews along the way promising to make it "worth your while" if you'd just see it in your heart to change your vote.:D :D Good Lord. I just spewed my Jack Black all over my LCD.

bri
12/2/2008, 12:36 AM
Have you seen the other threads? I am being nice. ;)