PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown releases statement about BCS standings

tooslow
11/30/2008, 11:40 PM
Basically, he cries a little bit more about it being unfair, not agreeing with the decision, etc.

The University of Texas released a statement from Coach Mack Brown regarding the Longhorns being left out of the Big 12 title game in favor of Oklahoma.

Perhaps the most interesting part of the statement is that Brown calls for change in how the Big 12 handles three-way ties. If the Big 12 used the tiebreakers used by the other five conferences with split divisions — the A.C.C., Conference USA, the Mid-American and the SEC — the Longhorns would have been chosen over the Sooners.

Here’s Brown’s entire statement:

“Going into the last couple of weeks, we knew that a good team was going to be left out of the Big 12 championship. Unfortunately, in this situation, it was us. It is what it is. We don’t like it, we don’t agree with it or think it’s fair, but, like anything else, we’ll handle it and move forward.

“I’m really disappointed for our kids that two teams we beat this season will be playing for the Big 12 championship. I’ll try to explain it to them, but most importantly, my message will be that you’ve done enough to put yourself in position to play for the conference championship, you had a great season and there still is a lot out there for you to play for. We’ll wait and see how everything plays out and where the system sends us, then be ready to play our best game of the year wherever that is. I do appreciate all of the respect many of the poll voters and fans gave to our season and the importance they placed on the head-to-head matchup in the end, but, unfortunately, it was not enough.

“Since this situation has never happened before in the Big 12, I think the conference should follow the lead of all of the other B.C.S. leagues with championship games (A.C.C./Conference USA/Mid-American/SEC) in how they settle three-way ties. I think their systems are fairer and give more credit to how the two highest-ranked teams performed against each other on the field.”

SanDiegoSoonerGal
11/30/2008, 11:44 PM
“I’m really disappointed for our kids that two teams we beat this season will be playing for the Big 12 championship. I’ll try to explain it to them

Meaning, they're too stupid to figure it out for themselves? :confused:

All_Day_28
11/30/2008, 11:45 PM
:pop:

CatfishSooner
heck mack, want a cheeseburger w/ those french cries?????

LRoss
Last sentence -- by "give more credit" he means "place undue emphasis over and against other games."

GottaHavePride
11/30/2008, 11:48 PM
I'll laugh my *** off if they wind up with a Texas / Florida matchup and get pounded.

StoopTroup
Maybe texas can just take their act to another Conference.

Dio
39-33

MR2-Sooner86
11/30/2008, 11:49 PM
“I’m really disappointed for our kids that two teams we beat this season will be playing for the Big 12 championship.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in '01 didn't OU beat both teams that went to the Big 12 Championship?

SoonerTroll
11/30/2008, 11:49 PM
Am i the only one that smiles and laughs when i see this? I'm ready to sit back and watch all the whining this week on tespn.
:pop:

mdklatt
11/30/2008, 11:50 PM
Going into the last couple of weeks, we knew that a good team was going to be left out of the Big 12 championship. Unfortunately, in this situation, it was us. It is what it is.

He should have just stopped right there.

We don’t like it, we don’t agree with it or think it’s fair, but, like anything else, we’ll handle it and move forward.

Dear Mack Brown -

Crying to the media is neither "handling it" nor "moving forward". Sticking up for your team and trying to make your case beforehand = OK. Whining like a little bitch about it when things don't go your way = Pete Carroll. Win all your games or STFU.

bri
11/30/2008, 11:50 PM
I think the conference should follow the lead of all of the other B.C.S. leagues with championship games (A.C.C./Conference USA/Mid-American/SEC) in how they settle three-way ties.

Wait, C-USA is a BCS league now? SWEET! I'm so storming the field after Tulsa wins their BCS berth Saturday, then. :D

StoopTroup
11/30/2008, 11:51 PM
I'll laugh my *** off if they wind up with a Texas / Florida or texas / Bama or texas / suc or texas / Utah or texas / Boise St. matchup and get pounded.

fixed. :D

bluedogok
11/30/2008, 11:53 PM
They just had an interview with DeLoss Dodds on the news here at the UT-Rice basketball game and he had the best response out of the entire UT contingent. He basically said that there is no good way to resolve something like this and the BCS formula has been tweaked every time something seems to occur. He pretty much alluded to the need of a playoff without coming right out and saying it. Maybe if some of the AD's start pushing playoffs, the presidents will start considering it.

mdklatt
11/30/2008, 11:56 PM
Last sentence -- by "give more credit" he means "place undue emphasis over and against other games."

What he really means is, "I would prefer a system that gave us the advantage in this situation. But I reserve the right to change my mind in the future if such a system would favor somebody else."

Leroy Lizard
11/30/2008, 11:59 PM
I’ll try to explain it to them.

"Jimmy, I have to talk to you. In the big circle of life, we all have to face sadness because all living things come to that moment when they face death. And when that happens we have to be brave and strong. Jimmy, your puppy dog got ran over last night."

SCOUT
11/30/2008, 11:59 PM
Let's wax poetic. Baylor beats Texas and Nebraska but finishes the year 2-9. Later that year, NU and UT are sitting pretty at 10-1. It is a crime that those two teams play for the Big 12 title even though Baylor beat them both. That is the prevailing logic, no?

After all, Baylor beat the two teams playing for the conference title but aren't playing for it themselves. This is purely speculative of course. Nothing like this would ever actually happen :P

GrapevineSooner
12/1/2008, 12:01 AM
“I’m really disappointed for our kids that two teams we beat this season will be playing for the Big 12 championship.

First of all, what's with the swipe on Missouri? They play in a completely different division and it's just coincidence that they won the North (fairly and without the aid of any tiebreaker) and just happened to be a team you guys beat at home.

Second, with this unique tiebreaker, it was a guarantee that two of the teams would be left out in favor of a team that one of the other teams beat. Don't like it?

Deal you little whiny bitch!!!

vigilantesooner
12/1/2008, 12:02 AM
Why does he keep trying to convince everybody his "kids" are 5 years old? He acts like he has to tell a group of kindergartners that there is no Santa.

Here's an idea for what to tell your "kids" Mack: "Don't lose late in the season again you little @ssholes, it's always been bad in college football and it's still bad. Now get the hell outta here."

FirstandGoal
12/1/2008, 12:04 AM
“I’m really disappointed for our kids that two teams we beat this season will be playing for the Big 12 championship. I’ll try to explain it to them,

Okay Mack, I'll say this reaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly slooooow so you can understand.

1. You have to win all of your games. Even though you would like to pretend 39-33 didn't happen, it did.

2. Since you epic failed #1, your team has now been left out of the equation.

Veritas
12/1/2008, 12:05 AM
Dear Mack,

Wikipedia is your friend, as it is mine, and a quick reference confirmed my suspicions that two of the schools you referenced as BCS schools are not, in fact, BCS schools.

Give Utah, or whoever, a victory clap for me, you bitch.

tooslow
12/1/2008, 12:06 AM
“Going into the last couple of weeks, we knew that a good team was going to be left out of the Big 12 championship. Unfortunately, in this situation, it was us.

Just picked up on this line. Surely Mack is not that stupid? His statement should've read:

“Going into the last couple of weeks, we knew that 2 good teams was going to be left out of the Big 12 championship. Unfortunately, in this situation, it was us and Texas Tech.

That old bastard is still refusing to acknowledge they got beat by Tech. I like what Stoops said in his press conference earlier. It was something like, "If you're going to discount Tech, and leave them out of the equation with us and Texas because we beat them so soundly, then what does that say about teams they beat?" :D

CU Sooner
12/1/2008, 12:07 AM
".....I think their systems are fairer and give more credit to how the two highest-ranked teams performed against each other on the field.” mack brown

So it's ok to use the BCS to eliminate one of the three. I understand now.:rolleyes:

Dio
12/1/2008, 12:08 AM
They just had an interview with DeLoss Dodds on the news here at the UT-Rice basketball game and he had the best response out of the entire UT contingent. He basically said that there is no good way to resolve something like this and the BCS formula has been tweaked every time something seems to occur. He pretty much alluded to the need of a playoff without coming right out and saying it. Maybe if some of the AD's start pushing playoffs, the presidents will start considering it.

Then he got on the phone to raise more money. He's going to double what he usually pays the B-12 ref's working the OU game to make sure this never happens again.

bri
12/1/2008, 12:09 AM
It's easy to understand where Mack would get confused; the MAC looked more like a BCS conference than the Big 10 did this year.

And does anyone else hear an awful lot of John Blake in Mack's constant cries of "the kids"?Or should I say, "the keeds?"

Sooner_Havok
12/1/2008, 12:10 AM
I’ll try to explain it to them, but most importantly, my message will be that you’ve done enough to put yourself in position to play for the conference championship, you had a great season and there still is a lot out there for you to play for.

Right there, he lied. They most certainly did not do "enough to put yourself in position to play for the conference championship"

Neither did we. We lost control of our fate when we blew a lead against texas. They lost control of their fate when they blew a lead against Tech. Tech lost control of their fate when they laid down against OU.

Plain and simple. I would be disappointed if we were the team left out.

Disappointed , not pissed disappointed. We lost the ability to get pissed about the outcome of the south the second we lost to texas. They lost theirs shortly after in Lubbock. Not one of the three teams did enough to put them selves in position to play in the CCG. Accept your responsibility and move on.

aurorasooner
12/1/2008, 12:18 AM
I read that and then went over to WhornFans and some them were spinning it as what a class-act Mack Brown was. I guess they didn't see the OU/OSU game last night and see mack's carpetbagging.
In any event, it's time to either eliminate the 2 team BCS CG completely and go back to the old Bowl system, or put together a max 8 team playoff. If we install an 8 team playoff perhaps the NCAA should send out a copy of the selection system rules for the 8 teams to the sports network presidents and make them responsible for their employees completely understanding them.

Sooner_Rog
12/1/2008, 12:21 AM
It is just such poetic justice that they have to root for us against TT and OSU.. And now must right the ship and root against MU in the CCG. I can only imagine the sick feelings in many a slonghorn fan/player.... We'll deal the ultimate biatch slap to Texas when we finish the 08 season with #8 MNC.... Go OU Sooners, we love you.... I am going to the orange bowl 8 years after my last bowl trip.. That on was nice 13-2 Baby...

Stoop Dawg
12/1/2008, 12:26 AM
“I’m really disappointed for our kids that two teams we beat this season will be playing for the Big 12 championship. I’ll try to explain it to them...”[/B]

Maybe he can re-cycle his 2006 speech (OU played NU in the CCG - UT beat both of them).

rainiersooner
12/1/2008, 12:43 AM
What a shame...he was starting to build up some goodwill with me over the past couple of years...I came to think that he wasn't such a bad guy after all. In retrospect: are you kidding me!!!??? STFU you CLOWN!!! Stop whining. There was no good way to decide this. It sucks. I would rather see us playing uterus for the big 12 championship; but we're not; get over it.

bluedogok
12/1/2008, 12:43 AM
Yep, they are all forgetting that if OSU would have won last night that Tech would be in KC next weekend based on the "vaunted head-to-head" argument.

Veritas
12/1/2008, 12:55 AM
Bottom line, SOMEBODY was going to get screwed. One could make a very strong argument for Texas, an equally strong argument for Oklahoma, and a weaker but valid argument for Texas Tech.

The BCS system doesn't work; a playoff is desperately needed, and this situation in the Big XII just adds another item to the overwhelming mountain of evidence to this point.

That said, I wish Mack realized how ignoble his statement makes him sound.

SoonerDood
12/1/2008, 12:59 AM
Dear Mack,
You still haven't won a Conference Championship without me.

Love,
Vincent