PDA

View Full Version : Ah yes, the good ol' split NC

bri
11/30/2008, 11:37 PM
It's comin'. You know it is.

We beat Mizzou. We go on the the BCS title game and beat whoever the SEC throws at us. We win the BCS national title.

But wait! The Fifth Estate still hasn't had their say! They're still righteously indignant that those dirty so-and-so's from Oklahoma had the unmitigated gall to build up a body of work over the course of the entire season that made the computers favor them over poor old Texas and their one-game season. And what about USC?!? Did you SEE how they manhandled mighty Notre Dame? That's Jesus' team! And so, the Associated Press, the group that withdrew from the BCS because they "didn't want to be part of the story" (read: were tired of being one-fifth of the equation) will bestow their MNC on Texas, or USC, f*ck, maybe even Utah. Whoever wins their bowl game and doesn't wear "Sooners" on the front of their jerseys will be proclaimed the "true national champions" to anyone who will listen.

And next year, they'll tweak two miniscule aspects of the system and try it all over again. Progress is for pussies.

FirstandGoal
11/30/2008, 11:40 PM
If that happens, can we make up signs with the score of our bowl game win?

Pricetag
11/30/2008, 11:41 PM
Heh, yeah, I was just wondering today what changes will be made to the BCS this offseason that would have kept us from jumping Texas this year.

Dio
11/30/2008, 11:44 PM
Isn't "bri admitting media bias" one of the signs of the apocalypse?

We've been holding your tinfoil hat for you.

bri
11/30/2008, 11:45 PM
Heh, yeah, I was just wondering today what changes will be made to the BCS this offseason that would have kept us from jumping Texas this year.

Changes that will ultimately help us "sneak in" next time.

Do you ever get the feeling we're the Dukes of Hazzard of college football, jumping our souped-up Charger over whatever roadblock Boss Hogg and the BCS put up to stop us using the convenient dirt ramp they built last year because of the time we drove around them?

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

tooslow
11/30/2008, 11:48 PM
Doesn't bother me at all. I still think Auburn should've gotten a split NC back when we got beat by USC. Imagine if we had gone undefeated, won our BCS game, and then was rewarded with a second place finish. Hell, most people put more stock in the BCS National Championship Game winner than the AP's choice anyway.

Pricetag
11/30/2008, 11:50 PM
Changes that will ultimately help us "sneak in" next time.

Do you ever get the feeling we're the Dukes of Hazzard of college football, jumping our souped-up Charger over whatever roadblock Boss Hogg and the BCS put up to stop us using the convenient dirt ramp they built last year because of the time we drove around them?

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I like the analogy. I hope our landing is better this time, though.

Sooner_Havok
11/30/2008, 11:56 PM
Let's see.

Margin of Victory: Check, it is out.

Strength of Schedule: still around but neutered

So, what will this years "OU rule" be you ask?

Obviously the computers will be cut from the BCS. This will get rid of the remaining SOS factor as well as the Home/Away factor.

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 12:02 AM
Bunch of Runnin Dumasses
If IRCC. Most agreed to abide By the BCS ?
So shouldn't they STFU about a SPLIT ?
The AP is a wannabe ;)

bri
12/1/2008, 12:04 AM
Garth, that was a haiku!

:D

GrapevineSooner
12/1/2008, 12:06 AM
Dear whiny Dooshes,

It's like Bob Stoops said after 2003. There's a set of rules setup before the year that everyone understands.

The tiebreak worked the way it was designed to. So did the BCS, despite some crafty electioneering by some shady coaches and Harris Poll voters. In 2003, I got tired head trying to defend my team.

This time around, I'm just going to laugh anytime anybody has the temerity to whine and try to pin this mess on us.

Don't shoot the beneficiary. :D

olevetonahill
12/1/2008, 12:07 AM
Garth, that was a haiku!

:D

I caint even Spell that :eek:

vigilantesooner
12/1/2008, 12:13 AM
More likely then USC getting it will be Texas, who stands to be ranked second in the AP after the SEC loser drops. If OU at #4 beats the #1 team, and if Texas at #2 beats whoever, Texas will move up to #1 in the AP.

The only way this can be stopped is if the AP regains their sanity and flips OU and Tx again after this Saturday.

cheezyq
12/1/2008, 12:53 AM
Boss Hogg's proposed BCS change: Harris poll voters are replaced completely by affiliates of ESPN. Computer polls and Coaches poll are thrown out completely. "Bwahahahaha, we've finally done it, Roscoe. Dem Dukes is gonna PAY this time."

JLEW1818
12/1/2008, 12:56 AM
**** the AP, USC has won 1 title this decade.

bri
12/1/2008, 08:13 AM
Isn't "bri admitting media bias" one of the signs of the apocalypse?

It takes a lot to get me to yell "conspiracy". But the past week of open and blatant lobbying by the World Wide Leader and the continued attempts of commentators and writers across the country to shape the race in their favored visage qualifies as "a lot". :mad:

badger
12/1/2008, 08:29 AM
Split national title, you say...

:D:D:D So you're saying that Oklahoma will at least win half a title this year? :D:D:D

auto
12/1/2008, 08:40 AM
How can you have a split title? I have said this before and I will say it again. Only one team can raise the Crystal Football, thus only 1 national champion.

badger
12/1/2008, 08:47 AM
How can you have a split title? I have said this before and I will say it again. Only one team can raise the Crystal Football, thus only 1 national champion.

Yes, but what about the YEAR number that gets put up in the stadium. The NUMBER, people! That's what we see on Saturdays at Owen Field!

If we split, I want dibs on the top-half of 2008. The bottom half of those numbers would be hard to decipher in a few years.

badger
12/1/2008, 08:49 AM
Oh, wait... I thought of a better solution:

OUr half:

National Champions: '08

Texas' half:

National Champions: 20'

Texas is so phail :D

yermom
12/1/2008, 09:29 AM
you have to admit, if Texas splits with us, the debate would go for years and the rivalry would just be that much bigger

sooneron
12/1/2008, 09:40 AM
The only way this can be stopped is if the AP regains their sanity and flips OU and Tx again after this Saturday.

Won't happen, the AP wants to be relevant again and touting "their champion" is a way to do it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2008, 09:44 AM
Bunch of Runnin Dumasses
If IRCC. Most agreed to abide By the BCS ?
So shouldn't they STFU about a SPLIT ?
The AP is a wannabe ;)

nerfing sos helped us a ton this year. do you realize we played 2 teams that won a combined 2 games?

bri
12/1/2008, 10:00 AM
And Texas played half of C-USA West. The bottom half. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
12/1/2008, 10:07 AM
I told a friend last night they should just join conference usa since they play half their teams.

I see this coming also(if OU wins NC, Texas will get AP imo) which makes me ask the same question I asked when LSU won the NC and USC won the AP:

How do you win a championship without playing in THE championship game? USC played a terrible Michigan team and was awarded the AP NC...

kinda like giving the NFL championship to Dallas last year because they won their division, even though they didn't play in the superbowl

yermom
12/1/2008, 12:46 PM
it's the BCS championship game, not the NCAA championship game

bri
12/1/2008, 12:49 PM
Or the AP championship game.

Man, that must be sweet to win something without having to play in an actual game for it. No wonder they call it the "mythical" national title.

The Maestro
12/1/2008, 01:04 PM
Well, if Texas wants to hold up a trophy that says, "Mike Lupica voted for ME!!!" while we hold up a crystal football, let 'em. Bama fans can appreciate it!

bri
12/1/2008, 01:06 PM
'Bama might sue 'em for gimmick infringement.

picasso
12/1/2008, 01:22 PM
almost as good as split tail pheasant.