PDA

View Full Version : An update on my ATM card info being stolen

jkjsooner
11/30/2008, 11:55 AM
You guys remember my post about someone stealing my ATM card number/PIN and withdrawing all of my money right after I got paid?

Well, as I was travelling back from Oklahoma my wife called me. She was like, "Guess what? Someone withdrew all of the money out of my account as well."

We have different banks and never use the same ATM. The only exception was when we got money out in our resort at the Dominican Republic. It is now 100% clear that that is where our information was stolen.

It was a whole big scam. Nobody there took credit cards. Everyone on the resort wanted cash. I think they were all in on getting as many people as possible to use their ATM machine.

I would suggest that you all never use an ATM machine overseas. I really didn't want to and was nervous as heck to use that one. I monitored my account closely after that but they waited a couple of months to steal the money. Next time if people say they only take cash and I don't have plenty on me I'm just plain walking away....

OUHOMER
11/30/2008, 05:59 PM
So what kind of protection do you have from your bank? or card?

OUHOMER
11/30/2008, 05:59 PM

OUHOMER
11/30/2008, 06:01 PM

Boomer.....
11/30/2008, 06:20 PM

jkjsooner
11/30/2008, 06:34 PM

It seems that both of our banks are going to refund the money after their investigation. I think that's pretty standard.

And of course today I was reading all about how ATM fraud is very common in the Dominican Republic. My wife reminded me that one day the ATM machine on the resort was out of service and the next day someone was there working on it. I bet anything that was when they installed the skimming device.