PDA

View Full Version : OUr defense not as bad as you might think...

noobalicious
11/30/2008, 01:54 AM
All the hot air bags on ESPN are going on and on about how our defense can't stop anyone (and other boards on the net too).

We gave up 41 points tonight BUT:
7 of those were on a KO Return (not our D's fault)
OSU got a TD on a drive that SHOULD have ended with the obvious fumble that wasn't reviewed. We took back the 2-pt conversion for a 4 point differential in their favor.

That's basically 30 points on our D. IMO that's acceptable against the #7 offense in the country. Texas and Tech both gave up over 20 pts to them and they had HOME games, where OSU couldn't ride a bit of crowd momentum.

They stepped it up and got key stops when they needed to. OUr defense isn't a shutdown defense. They take their opportunities when they get them, and we have the best turnover margin in the country.

If we can hold the best offenses in the country to 20-30 pts with our defense, that's completely acceptable to me.

Curly Bill
11/30/2008, 01:56 AM
You're kidding right?

noobalicious
11/30/2008, 02:00 AM
You're kidding right?

With our offense we don't need shutouts. We take advantage of turnovers and get a few stops. To say that we sucked is to give no credit to OSU. They have a ton of offensive talent and weapons.

We gave up 452 yds to OSU. 2 turnovers.
By comparison...
Texas gave up 416 yds to OSU. 1 turnover.

IMO that's pretty comparable, and I'm not willing to let idiot texas fans use this game to rip on our defense when their defense did ABOUT as well.

Curly Bill
11/30/2008, 02:02 AM
So, our defense compares to Texas'? That just means that they're both not very good.

Indy Sooner
11/30/2008, 02:05 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2496809#post2496809

Curly Bill
11/30/2008, 02:07 AM
In all fairness to the OP, our defense would have to be really bad to be as bad as I think it is. :D

OULenexaman
11/30/2008, 02:07 AM
So...we still get smoked in bowl games of late....and we still don't shut anyone down with O power like we used too....anyway you slice it...OUr D is a fraction of what is was since 2000....injuries hurt..but we had them back then as well....the TT game was the exception...so what happened in 1 week?

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2008, 02:08 AM
Whether acceptable or not, we got what we got and I would rather watch OU than any other team in the country. I not saying that just because I'm a homer; I like college ball in general. But I rather see Sam tear it up than watch the mightly trojans shut teams out any day.

I was thinking tonight how funny it was that the duel between the glamor schools of USC and ND probably had 3 viewers outside their own fan base. In fact, I bet a bunch of their fans were watching us ! :D

Fraggle145
11/30/2008, 02:12 AM
All i got to say was you have to score 45 to beat us... 41 isnt enough ;) ;) :D

but in all seriousness how many total plays were their tonight when compared to an average game?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2008, 02:23 AM
So...we still get smoked in bowl games of late....and we still don't shut anyone down with O power like we used too....anyway you slice it...OUr D is a fraction of what is was since 2000....injuries hurt..but we had them back then as well....the TT game was the exception...so what happened in 1 week?

what injury did we have in 2000? (i can only remember one - brandon moore - and that was way before the season)

our defensive personnel is frustratingly inconsistent.

they exploited lewis's yute - designing plays that made him think he could make the play but hunter was always just out of his reach.

nic harris played so poorly tonight i thought he was going to be benched again - lendy wasn't much better.

franks played well but got caught peaking into the backfield on that one TD pass.

mccoy got push but always left his rush lane giving huge gaping holes for robinson to scramble through.

i expect franks to not be able to get off his block as he looks like he weighs 150 lbs soaking wet, but brian jackson makes me scratch my head when he gets pushed 10 yards back

that illegal crack/chop on box was probably the worst thing pokey state could have done. they went away from their gameplan of attacking lewis and started attacking balogun. he shut that crap down in a hurry.

ARW3
11/30/2008, 02:24 AM
we held OSU to below their season average in yards...

Curly Bill
11/30/2008, 02:27 AM
we held OSU to below their season average in yards...

That would be great if we were just looking to be better then average.

....and besides, yards allowed is a misleading stat, it's all about the points.

tulsaoilerfan
11/30/2008, 03:43 AM
So after seeing Balogun, why doesn't he play more? The guy looked pretty damn good to me

OULenexaman
11/30/2008, 04:06 AM
what injury did we have in 2000? (i can only remember one - brandon moore - and that was way before the season)

our defensive personnel is frustratingly inconsistent.

franks played well but got caught peaking into the backfield on that one TD pass.

mccoy got push but always left his rush lane giving huge gaping holes for robinson to scramble through.

i expect franks to not be able to get off his block as he looks like he weighs 150 lbs soaking wet, but brian jackson makes me scratch my head when he gets pushed 10 yards back

that illegal crack/chop on box was probably the worst thing pokey state could have done. they went away from their gameplan of attacking lewis and started attacking balogun. he shut that crap down in a hurry.

Franks had his moments...huge last week....but got caught sleeping at times today...frustratingly inconsistent D is an understatement....over the last few years I can't quite put a finger on it....other than we can't keep a healthy unit together for a whole season...

skeeterou
11/30/2008, 07:29 AM
All i got to say was you have to score 45 to beat us... 41 isnt enough ;) ;) :D

but in all seriousness how many total plays were their tonight when compared to an average game?

this. offense is pretty much unstoppable.

Seriously though its pretty much a coin flip between OU and Whorns. We'll see if Mack's BS whineyboy politic style made a difference.

Charla
11/30/2008, 07:30 AM
Get real !!!!!!!! Our defense sucks, BV sucks, That QB run for a TD last night in the 2nd half when it was 4th and a foot and he goes for 26 off the right tackle. Those were very basic plays ran by OSUX and many
times we looked like the deer in the headlight

ashley
11/30/2008, 08:56 AM
Bill, tell us what you would do.

Breadburner
11/30/2008, 09:10 AM
Players have to play....I thought the D played well tonight.....Venables can't play for them.....They kicked 2 field goals no less....If they scored 27 would you still be bitching.....

ashley
11/30/2008, 09:13 AM
True

getrdone
11/30/2008, 10:00 AM
last night's game was the shootout many expected vs the sand aggies. our d did not play well at times, but come on, osu has a very good offense.

1-fumble on 1st drive of second half-d did it's job, got the turnover-not their fault the stupid umpire looking right at the play unblocked view can't make the right call

2-on 3rd and long in first half-that ball was uncatchable-should not have been pass int-would have been 4th down and our ball

3-the td pass to bryant should have been called back for illegal block below the waist on box-a receiver can't block low on a player unless he is lined up either head up or outside of him-box was a linebacker being blocked by a slot receiver-missed call

so that is 2 drives in points you can take off and 1 td that maybe would not have happened.