PDA

View Full Version : How is the SEC tie-breaker "settling it on the field"

jkjsooner
11/29/2008, 12:11 PM
Mack is saying that the SEC tie-breaker is better because the champion in a three way tie is "settled on the field".

The SEC uses the BCS ranking to throw out the bottom team and then uses head-to-head to compare the other two.

Is Mack too stupid to realize that using the BCS to determine the bottom team is just as arbitrary as using it to determine the top team?

The winner is no more settled on the field in the SEC than in the Big 12. Mack is an idiot.

OUHOMER
11/29/2008, 12:17 PM
Mack is saying that the SEC tie-breaker is better because the champion in a three way tie is "settled on the field".

The SEC uses the BCS ranking to throw out the bottom team and then uses head-to-head to compare the other two.

Is Mack too stupid to realize that using the BCS to determine the bottom team is just as arbitrary as using it to determine the top team?

The winner is no more settled on the field in the SEC than in the Big 12. Mack is an idiot.

I think he has a point myself. It brings I back to the head to head play on the field. I am just glad the BIG12 is not using that formula this year

cheezyq
11/29/2008, 12:25 PM
I think he has a point myself. It brings I back to the head to head play on the field. I am just glad the BIG12 is not using that formula this year

Please. Mack is only saying that because it benefits HIS team this year. More whining is all it is.

In REALITY, using the BCS to determine the WINNER makes more sense for the conference because it assures that in a 3-way tie the team most likely to make it to the BCS championship gets the chance to win a championship for the CONFERENCE.

So, from a CONFERENCE perspective, it makes complete sense. I'm not saying I like it, and I'd be ticked if we were in Texas situation. But I understand the reason behind the rule. If OU were in UT's situation, I'd be mad as hell, but I wouldn't whine about it.

noobalicious
11/29/2008, 12:26 PM
Mack is an idiot.

Truer words... :D

fadada1
11/29/2008, 12:37 PM
using the "logic" we have now, why not keep the divisions we have, but whichever the top 2 teams are in the BCS play in the conf. champ. game - regardless of division. throw out any possibility of having to choose head-to-head in the first place. if the BCS is so important, let it determine everything.

SoonerBacker
11/29/2008, 12:38 PM
I agree. But I don't think the North coaches would go for it.