PDA

View Full Version : The last good thing to come from stillwater...

pott_2
11/29/2008, 07:15 AM
was Sam's mom.

Son of a Sooner and a Cowgirl, there were never any doubts about Sam Bradford's allegiances growing up

NORMAN | There's a picture of Sam Bradford, sitting, smiling, eyes twinkling, dressed all in orange and black.

"He's not even a year old," says Bradford's mother, Martha. "He looked darling."

Maybe so. But these days, that portrait of Baby Sam wearing Oklahoma State gear doesn't much see the light of day. Not with her son's iconic existence as ringmaster of the Oklahoma Sooners' thrill-a-minute offense.

"I don't really like the picture," Sam Bradford says. Why? "Because of the attire. Wrong colors. It wasn't even Halloween."

Bradford will get all the orange and black he can stand on Saturday night when the No. 3-ranked Sooners visit the No. 11 Cowboys at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater. An OU victory means a possible berth in the Big 12 Conference title game and maybe an eventual shot at the national championship. An OSU win would ruin OU's postseason dreams, might send the Cowboys to the Cotton Bowl and would establish statewide bragging rights for a year.

In the Bradford household, there are strong Oklahoma ties, but a significant history with Oklahoma State as well.

In addition to Sam's own growing Sooner legacy, his father, Kent, played at OU in the 1970s. But his mother graduated from OSU. And Kent Bradford's late father, Bill, played at Oklahoma State in the 1940s.

OU-OSU may describe the game or the stadium or even the state. But Martha Bradford says her home remains almost a pocket of neutrality.

"We're just not that way in our house," she said. "I mean, Kent's dad played for OSU. Come on. We're not a big 'House Divided.' "

Just to be clear, the Bradford home isn't exactly Switzerland. Not when her husband played for Barry Switzer.

"After Sam was born, we were primarily OU fans," Kent Bradford says. "I don't know if she would totally agree with that. But that's my side of the deal, anyway.

"Let me say it like this: he went to a lot of the OU games. I don't think he went to hardly any of the OSU games."

Apprised of his mom's assessment of neutrality, Sam smiled and shook his head.

"Yeah, that's not true at all," he said. "I think my mom always rooted for OSU if they weren't playing OU. But I'm pretty sure everyone in our family rooted for OU. I mean, we had OU season tickets."

When Sam Bradford was a student at Putnam City North and began to think about his college choices, Oklahoma State wasn't high on his list. Even the youth league team on which he played was called the Sooners.

In fact, there's another photograph that shows the Bradford men's devotion to all things Sooner, a shot of Sam, wearing a sheepish grin after having just played a game, getting a kiss on the forehead from Coach Dad.

"That photo is so dear to my heart," Martha Bradford said. "I said when we put that in our living room that that one would stay through all the photos."

Having grown up in the OU-OSU Territory of Oklahoma City, Sam acknowledges that this game means a little more than some of the others on Oklahoma's schedule.

"I know some of the history of the rivalry," he said. "Growing up here, obviously I have friends who are OSU fans and friends who are OU fans, so it always seemed like when you were in school, when you were younger, everyone was talking noise in the OU-OSU week. And then whoever won, on Monday those fans got to come back and talk some more trash. So I've seen how fans in this state — there are die-hard OSU fans and die-hard OU fans, so this game means a lot to a lot of people in this state."

It means a whole lot to the Bradfords. If it wasn't for the OU-OSU rivalry, Sam Bradford might never have been born. Kent and Martha met in high school, but they didn't get together until they were away at their respective OU-OSU strongholds.

"She called me before the '76 OU-OSU game asking for tickets," Kent said. "So I hooked her up. We kind of started hanging out some. Then we ended up getting married on that deal."

First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in the Oklahoma State gear.

"Kent couldn't be there (at the portrait shoot) and I just saw that outfit and I thought, 'Wouldn't he look cute in that?' So I put it on him," Martha Bradford said. "Then Kent actually got done with his meeting early and he came by where we were having pictures made and he goes, 'Why do you have him in that?' I said, 'Well, because it's cute.' "

Alas, the world will never know.

"Do we have (the photo) hanging in the house? No," she said. "But I'll never get rid of it."
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/extra/article.aspx?subjectID=92&tab=osu&articleid=20081128_92_B1_TOPKen88370

stoopified
11/29/2008, 09:52 AM
Actually she ain't from there,she just went to schhol there,The last good thing to come out of Stillwater is Jackie Shipp.Ou All-American LB and now DT coach.