PDA

View Full Version : New tie-breaker rules

Leroy Lizard
11/28/2008, 09:07 PM
Is anyone in favor of changing the tie-breaker rules for next year? If so, how?

I'm not sure I like using total points scored, because that favors RUTS.

How about "fewest points allowed? Hard to pile it on when on defense.

Or, games played later in the year could count more. That would settle the issue in nearly every case.

BTW, choosing a plan for next year just because it would have favored OU this year is pretty stupid.

aurorasooner
11/28/2008, 09:18 PM
The only thing that would make whorn fans happy is if 3 teams tie, the whorns automatically go. As far as changing the rule, if both Tech and us win tomorrow, which is not a lock by any means, I think this is the 1st time this has happened in the 12 or so years of the Big 12. I really don't see any reason to change it. The )(**&-_( BCS has been changed so many times trying to account for everything, and it still sux worse than it did in the beginning, imo.

OUHOMER
11/28/2008, 09:19 PM
I heard / read some where that the SEC has a plan for this. They take the BCS at the end of the season, But they take the top 2 BCS schools and than use the head to head between them.

bri
11/28/2008, 09:21 PM
So, they're going to officially do what ABC/ESPN/Facebook is trying to do unofficially this year? :D

OUHOMER
11/28/2008, 09:22 PM
So, they're going to officially do what ABC/ESPN/Facebook is trying to do unofficially this year? :D

yep :D

bri
11/28/2008, 09:23 PM
That's why they're the GREATEST CONFERENCE IN ALL OF COLLEGE SPORTS, EVAR. :)

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2008, 09:31 PM
Here's a novel idea: why don't we put more teeth in the Academic Progress Report and make that the deciding factor?

I'd have no problem rewarding the team that graduates their players.

OUHOMER
11/28/2008, 09:33 PM
Here's a novel idea: why don't we put more teeth in the Academic Progress Report and make that the deciding factor?

Are you crazy, that would be discriminatory.;)

Cam
11/28/2008, 09:33 PM

I like this idea.

BoulderSooner79
11/28/2008, 09:35 PM
I'd like to see all tie breaker rules stay in control of the conference. But even there, you need to look at non-conference records. Maybe just use some set of pre-determined computer rankings. Computer formulas may favor 1 type of team over another, but as long as the formula is set in stone before the season starts and there are a few of them considered, I think that would be fair. I certainly don't favor the human BCS vote that includes conflicts of interests, coaching friends, coaching enemies, payback, etc. Remember, if this thing stays a 3-way tie, it is the *5th* tie breaker and has never been used before. If the goal is total fairness, I say roll a dice - that is the definition of fair. If the goal is to send the best team, I say use the computers and live with it.

The flaw in the SEC scheme of throwing out the lowest BCS ranking and then going head to head could be seen this year. The motivation for Stoops last week would have been to try to keep the game close to keep TT from falling in the rankings. Any scheme that doesn't motivate a team to play it's very best is bogus.

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2008, 09:39 PM
I like this idea.

Thanks. I was just thinking that if we've gotten all the way to the fifth tiebreaker, then the teams are basically equal on the field.

At that point, we're letting some off-the-field stuff in anyhow-voter prejudices, etc. Why not just go ahead and throw in something that's off the field, that's objective, and shows that the school is actually fulfilling its mission?

Cam
11/28/2008, 09:41 PM
shows that the school is actually fulfilling its mission?

That's why I like it. Reward those who are doing the right thing off the field as well.

You should e-mail the Big 12 conference. I doubt they'd ever do it, but it'd be worth a shot.

OUHOMER
11/28/2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks. I was just thinking that if we've gotten all the way to the fifth tiebreaker, then the teams are basically equal on the field.

At that point, we're letting some off-the-field stuff in anyhow-voter prejudices, etc. Why not just go ahead and throw in something that's off the field, that's objective, and shows that the school is actually fulfilling its mission?

It is actually a good ideal, one that is hard to argue against.

BoulderSooner79
11/28/2008, 09:47 PM

I could live with that one too. Better than conniving, political, *secret* BCS vote.

bri
11/28/2008, 10:26 PM
Remember, if this thing stays a 3-way tie, it is the *5th* tie breaker and has never been used before. If the goal is total fairness, I say roll a dice - that is the definition of fair.

Well, the 7th tie-breaker is a random drawing. Is that close enough? :D

cheezyq
11/28/2008, 10:37 PM
Here's my thought on the BCS as a tie-breaker....it makes sense. Why? Because as a CONFERENCE, you want the team with the greatest chance of making it to the BCS Championship. Yeah, it causes controversy and ticks people off. But from a conference perspective, it makes complete sense.

boomersooner24
11/28/2008, 10:53 PM
Let's do what they did on Friday Night Lights. Have the three coaches flip a coin. The coach that has their coin land on the opposite side from the other two coins advances to the Big 12 Title game

OULenexaman
11/28/2008, 11:06 PM
So what was the tie breaker before the BSC was formed??....which was after the BIG 12 was formed?? What was the original tie breaker before the BCS came along??

bri
11/28/2008, 11:09 PM
Mortal Kombat.

BoulderSooner79
11/28/2008, 11:14 PM
Here's my thought on the BCS as a tie-breaker....it makes sense. Why? Because as a CONFERENCE, you want the team with the greatest chance of making it to the BCS Championship. Yeah, it causes controversy and ticks people off. But from a conference perspective, it makes complete sense.

But that could go against higher priority tie-breakers like head-to-head. If OSU wins tomorrow TT goes (lower BCS). Even more dramatic in the PAC10 where Oregon St. can go even though they have no BCS chances. Or the Big East or ACC where no team has a BCS prayer and would make such a tie breaker seem silly. But we are talking 5th tie-breaker, so it may never happen again. In fact, we won't know until tomorrow night if it even happened this year.

SicEmBaylor
11/28/2008, 11:17 PM

Then we would be Big 12 champions every year. I favor this plan.

BoulderSooner79
11/28/2008, 11:23 PM
Then we would be Big 12 champions every year. I favor this plan.

As soon as you achieve that 1st place tie, I'll bow to your greatness
:P

OULenexaman
11/28/2008, 11:27 PM
Mortal Kombat.

I would have expected that answer from you...classic as always...nice av..a great T-Town classic....

RedstickSooner
11/28/2008, 11:36 PM
The BCS seems like a pretty good tiebreaker, and I could've sworn that when they were talking about a potential Pac-10 tie a few years back, they had the same tiebreaker.

If the BCS is good enough to decide who plays for the national championship, it's good enough to break ties. And, yeah, I know a bunch of folks don't feel it's good enough -- but fact is, we don't have anything better.

Using a computer poll would be fine, except each of the computer polls is quirky, and they each have their own quirks. If the Big-12 depended on one, I'm sure we'd catch even more kaka for it than we are now.

bri
11/28/2008, 11:43 PM
The Pac-10's multi-team tiebreaker is "who hasn't been to the Rose Bowl in a while?"

No, really.

Leroy Lizard
11/28/2008, 11:50 PM
Disguise the names of the schools, and send the game results to 12 people in China. Let them decide.

They own everything else in the U.S.

"Aaaah, this one team, beat other team 65-21. Very good. Very strong."

OULenexaman
11/28/2008, 11:51 PM
Zona....really...

Leroy Lizard
11/29/2008, 12:12 AM
The Pac-10's multi-team tiebreaker is "who hasn't been to the Rose Bowl in a while?"

No, really.

The Big-8 had its own "Employee of the Month" system back in the 50s. "You went last year. Don't be such a bowl hog!"

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2008, 12:57 AM

No, really.

Big Ten has the same rule.

OULenexaman
11/29/2008, 01:04 AM
and the original Big 12 rule was??

KingBarry
11/29/2008, 02:00 AM
and the original Big 12 rule was??

I'm not looking it up at 2 o'clock in the morning, but I think it used the AP poll. That sounds right to me, but I've slept since then.

okiewaker
11/29/2008, 02:12 AM

here, here!

daddywarbucks
11/29/2008, 02:12 AM
Rock-paper-scissors?

okiewaker
11/29/2008, 02:16 AM
Rock-paper-scissors?

Very good and you might as well throw in a few Tarrot cards while your at it.

OULenexaman
11/29/2008, 02:17 AM
I have heard that one too...it is new ground we are seeing...too bad the AP is no longer involved in the BCS....which they bailed out for good reason...

OULenexaman
11/29/2008, 02:24 AM
Rock-paper-scissors?
How about a NFL thingy....total points against common opponets...we win...after Saturday night....I hope....

okiewaker
11/29/2008, 02:34 AM
How about a NFL thingy....total points against common opponets...we win...after Saturday night....I hope....

Yeah, I can see this. Makes sense.

OULenexaman
11/29/2008, 02:48 AM
exactly...coaches vote against coaches...hold grudges...and humans program computers....so don't give me this computer crap that is not human involved...