PDA

View Full Version : Terry Bowden changes his mind after ut/atm

TheUnnamedSooner
11/28/2008, 05:43 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=882759

Texas' 49-9 victory over a rebuilding Texas A&M team reminded me just how much of a "what have you done for me lately" situation it is with the weekly BCS rankings.

Colt McCoy and Texas had no problem with rival Texas A&M on Thanksgiving.
You could not walk away from that game without being impressed again with how good this Longhorn team is and how equally deserving (along with Oklahoma and Texas Tech) they are to represent the Big 12 South in the conference championship game.

I realize that in our roundtable discussion I said I felt that if Oklahoma beats No.12 Oklahoma State that they would stay ahead of Texas in the next BCS poll. However, after watching last night's total dominance by the Longhorns over the Aggies, I have to wonder if an unimpressive win by Oklahoma on Saturday will actually hurt them among the voters who have ranked them above Texas in both human polls.

I say this because I know I am reserving my opinion of where the two should be ranked until after I see Oklahoma play Oklahoma State.

Considering the fact the Sooners have laid an egg in at least one big road game in each of the last four years, it makes you wonder if this game against the Cowboys is a lock in the first place.

I also wonder just a little bit how it will affect the voters knowing where they vote Oklahoma and Texas this week will very likely decide who will be playing for the national championship. We can pretty much guesstimate how the computer rankings are going to turn out next week, so the deciding factor will be the subjective voting in the human polls.

Speaking of the Oklahoma Sooners, after watching them annihilate Texas Tech in Norman last week all I could think about while broadcasting the game was "scheme shmeme" - give me talent every time.

As my good friend Jim Donnan likes to remind me, "It's not the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmys and the Joes."

It was the third game in a row that I covered the Red Raiders from the booth. Like so many of you out there, I became enamored with the Mike Leach system. It looked unstoppable against Texas and Oklahoma State the two previous games. Then I saw an Oklahoma team that got to the quarterback a little quicker, covered the receivers a little closer, tackled in the open field a little better, and knocked the defensive line off the ball a little further.

The same Texas Tech offensive scheme that was virtually unstoppable against everybody else this year could not get the exact same plays to work. I talked to several NFL scouts who told me Oklahoma had about seven or eight guys who are going to be drafted into the NFL, and Texas Tech might have two – on the second day (they would not discuss redshirt sophomores like Michael Crabtree that might come out early).

However, if you are saying to yourself, "we just need to go out and recruit better players", that is easier said than done. There are very few teams in the country that have the ability to attract the level of talent that Oklahoma does.

Most teams are more like Texas Tech: They can recruit a few great players and a lot of good ones and must make up the difference with other factors like execution, intensity, and yes, "scheme shmeme."

Cam
11/28/2008, 05:50 PM
I am reserving my opinion of where the two should be ranked until after I see Oklahoma play Oklahoma State.

I have zero problems with this statement.

I became enamored with the Mike Leach system. It looked unstoppable against Texas and Oklahoma State the two previous games. Then I saw an Oklahoma team that got to the quarterback a little quicker, covered the receivers a little closer, tackled in the open field a little better, and knocked the defensive line off the ball a little further.

Looks like he's answered his own question to me.

cvsooner
11/28/2008, 06:56 PM
Honestly, who expected A & M to put up a real fight last night? I didn't. I was hopeful they would, and they did move the ball a couple of times. Really the defense played about as well as they could considering the offense could not do anything against the Whorns. How much of that is due to great defense and how much due to Aggie inepitude is up for debate.

The fact that Texas "dominated" a 4-7 team at home (on a moistened field, no less) doesn't impress me. I'd expect them to win handily.

I will say Colt has made a pretty good case for himself for the Heisman. Without him Texas is barely average. Knock him out of the game and they're toast.

snp
11/28/2008, 07:09 PM
Considering the fact the Sooners have laid an egg in at least one big road game in each of the last four years, it makes you wonder if this game against the Cowboys is a lock in the first place.

Like this is some sort of anomaly among college football teams?

BoulderSooner79
11/28/2008, 07:11 PM
Texas did what that had to against aTm - they were expected to dominate and they did (just as OU did). And of course the outcome of tomorrows' games make all the difference (duh!). The only thing he said that I found curious is complimenting OU for over-powering that TT "scheme", but not pointing out that little scheme put almost 600 yds on UT. Why didn't Texas "out athlete" TT and shut them down?

stoopified
11/28/2008, 07:17 PM
Texas did what that had to against aTm - they were expected to dominate and they did (just as OU did). And of course the outcome of tomorrows' games make all the difference (duh!). The only thing he said that I found curious is complimenting OU for over-powering that TT "scheme", but not pointing out that little scheme put almost 600 yds on UT. Why didn't Texas "out athlete" TT and shut them down?
Good point.

Howzit
11/28/2008, 07:21 PM
I became enamored with the Mike Leach system. It looked unstoppable against Texas and Oklahoma State the two previous games. Then I saw an Oklahoma team that got to the quarterback a little quicker, covered the receivers a little closer, tackled in the open field a little better, and knocked the defensive line off the ball a little further.

I guess he forgot Texas played against this same system. And lost.

Sherpa
11/28/2008, 07:32 PM
Everyone is assuming we'll beat OSU. I think we'll lose. Hate to say it but our mind is not in the right place.

snp
11/28/2008, 07:38 PM
Everyone is assuming we'll beat OSU. I think we'll lose. Hate to say it but our mind is not in the right place.

Glad to know you're so in-tuned to the mindset of players you've never had a conversation with.

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference what us fans think.

MojoRisen
11/28/2008, 07:39 PM
our minds maybe, not the players... I read all their interviews... They will leave it on the field and are extremely focussed....

We are going to come to play and I hope we jump out to a big early lead and pin our ears back.. I have a feeling that Sheep humpers are going to have a couple of punches to throw early and stay with us for a bit....

What we will and have to avoid is letting OSuck jump us by 2 TD's early or something...

As for Bowden - what was he thinking that ATM was going to give Texas a ball game??? and of course we have to win or all is moot... Any win over OSU on the road will be more impressive than Texas win on them at home. I am not sure why Bowden all the suden just changed his tune but only to try and stir things up....

How the hell would we look bad beating OSU at their place in any form or fashion is what I don''t get...

BoulderSooner79
11/28/2008, 07:39 PM

Why would you say that - do you hang out with the team ?

OU has been very focused on road games this year and I don't see why that wouldn't continue. The only game I thought there was even a hint of a focus problem was against KU and that was a home game. That was a week after the UT game and losing the #1 slot, so some let down could be expected. If OSU wins, I doubt it will be because OU isn't preparing properly.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/28/2008, 08:39 PM

lets not assume that Soonerfans.com is a snapshot of the teams mindset right now. Just becase those of us posting are in a pi$$ing match with the whorns, doesnt mean the team is there

Id guess, not unlike the night before the Tech Game...the Sooners are mentally ready and aware that there may be a need for another complete a$$-smacking to accomplish our goals

aurorasooner
11/28/2008, 08:54 PM
Everyone is assuming we'll beat OSU. I think we'll lose. Hate to say it but our mind is not in the right place. I would also like some clarification on why you think like this. Is it just a guess because of all the BCS crap? If I remember right one of the goals of our team was to play well on the road this year.
The thing I don't like is our scheduling, playing back-to-back games against opponents who have 2 weeks to prep and us only having a week to prep for the 2nd one. The good news about that is that we're hotter than a firecracker right now and sometimes that 2 week layoff can work against a team. The only thing that scares me besides having to view all that ugly azzed orange when ABC cuts to a crowd shot, is if our KO coverage reverts to it's previous status and allow the pokes a cheap TD early. Win or lose, if we come out and our defense, special teams and OL take it to the aggies like we did against Nebraska and Tech, I'll have no problems with it.
As far as Webil goes, screw him. That whole Bowden clan still holds a grudge for the our 2K NC, and I wouldn't expect any of them to give us a thumbs up. You'd be a fool to think ABC wants either OU or Texas to play Mizzou for the Big 12 CG. A Mizzou/Tech game would probably much closer that either a UT or OU vs Mizzou as we seem to have Mizzou's number and Texas already stomped a mudhole in them this year.

Leroy Lizard
11/28/2008, 09:14 PM
That whole Bowden clan still holds a grudge for the our 2K NC, and I wouldn't expect any of them to give us a thumbs up. You'd be a fool to think ABC wants either OU or Texas to play Mizzou for the Big 12 CG.

First, I doubt Bowden has any grudge with OU over the national title game. And I doubt ABC cares one way or another about who plays Missouri.

tulsaoilerfan
11/28/2008, 09:15 PM

Cause the game was in Lubbock; if it had been a neutral field, the :texan: would have won handily. ;)

bri
11/28/2008, 09:23 PM
What the hell does Terry Bowden know? The only reason he has anything resembling a career is because of the c*ck he came squirting out of. He needs to STFU and stick to what he knows best: Diddling secretaries.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/28/2008, 09:23 PM

Fixed

AzianSooner
11/28/2008, 09:51 PM
if OU has to play TX this year again, I think just blitz and hit Colt for about 3 times real hard, I am sure we will win.

I think we did play a little soft in RRR this year on defense but NOT NOW.

OULenexaman
11/28/2008, 10:46 PM
we smoked A&M at Kyle Field.....more so than UT did at home....matters little...but if we beat the pokes at stoolwater more than the whorns did at Austin....it matters much more...and on another note....if UT does get the game in KC...and loses to Misery...we still back door in.....

MamaMia
11/28/2008, 11:46 PM
If a Bowden says anything positive about OU, you can bet your last dollar its nothing but a smoke screen. The Bowdens are not our friends. Wait and watch.

tulsaoilerfan
11/28/2008, 11:49 PM
If a Bowden says anything positive about OU, you can bet your last dollar its nothing but a smoke screen. The Bowdens are not our friends. Wait and watch.

Doesn't matter because we OWN the Bowdens; always have, always will:D

MamaMia
11/29/2008, 12:05 AM
First, I doubt Bowden has any grudge with OU over the national title game. And I doubt ABC cares one way or another about who plays Missouri. Well, you sure wouldn't know it by the Bowden family votes.

This, from less than a year ago...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/common/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleID=071209_2_B1_sp anc87415

http://newsok.com/article/3176771/%22?mp=0

MamaMia
11/29/2008, 12:08 AM
Doesn't matter because we OWN the Bowdens; always have, always will:D We don't own a Bowden vote and unfortunately coaches votes do matter.

bcgvh
11/29/2008, 12:50 AM
From last night...."what a dominating performance from Texas" combined with "Texas A&M is the new Baylor".....LOL!!! Give me a freakin break....Anyone in the top 10 would destroy A&M like that...even Miami did it.