PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma and Texas both have very good cases...

Soonerus
11/28/2008, 12:11 PM
...for being the higher ranked BCS team if OU beats OSU...On balance I think OU has the better position...you can't blame either fan base for loving their team...

soonerhillbilly
11/28/2008, 12:14 PM
If tx stays at #2 come Sunday, well... OU slipped in Dallas, so Just prepare for a good bowl and WIN IT!!!! BOOMER SOONER!!!!

TheUnnamedSooner
11/28/2008, 12:33 PM
I have a friend who is a whorn and after arguing and arguing about it, we both decided college football is what it is and one team will get screwed.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/28/2008, 01:28 PM
If UT goes to the CCG and loses to Missouri (which is a very real possibility) then will OU get the bid for the title game? Going into the CCG weekend we would most likely be sitting third and who could jump us?

Iam4OUru
11/28/2008, 01:29 PM
Regardless of who wins....the south will be well represented in KC and, hopefully, Miami.

josh09
11/28/2008, 01:33 PM
...for being the higher ranked BCS team if OU beats OSU...On balance I think OU has the better position...you can't blame either fan base for loving their team...

Its basically whoever loses earlier in the season, cuz then you have time to regain points in the BCS. So we have the upper hand cuz we lost earlier. Poor texas.

msooner
11/28/2008, 01:33 PM
Here's a far fetched scenario...

Florida loses to FSU
Alabama loses to Florida
OU demolishes BlOwSU
OU edges Texas for the right to play in KC
OU beats Missouri
"Sam wins the Heisman over Colt"
OU and Texas in the Orange bowl, on a nuetral field, for the NC

It could happen!

OU wins 55-21

BigDeezy
11/28/2008, 01:44 PM
I agree that each has a good case, but the head to head argument shouldn't be used in the case of a three way tie. Otherwise, here's the logic:

Teams A, B, & C are all tied due to equal records.

Also Team A beat Team B, Team B beat Team C, and team C beat team A.

Conclusion: Team C should be ranked higher because they beat team A.

Now what sense do you make of that?

Ace
11/28/2008, 02:09 PM
I am rooting for Cincinnati and Nebraska today to give OU that little extra push in the computers.

Half a Hundred
11/28/2008, 02:20 PM

Florida loses to FSU
Alabama loses to Florida
OU demolishes BlOwSU
OU beats Missouri

It could happen!

OU wins 55-21

I'm pretty sure they would find a way to sneak USC in if that scenario happens.

msooner
11/28/2008, 02:38 PM
USC is a possible conclusion. After listening to Billingsly, BCS computer group, he claims that USC cannot jump OU or Texas. He ran all of the viable scenarios on his computer and it just didn't pan out that way. OU has better quality Wins than USC. USC lost to Oregon State and shouldn't win their conference if Oregon State takes care of business.

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2008, 02:54 PM
In 2003, I said "Any team that loses a game loses the right to bitch about getting left out of the national title game."

In 2004, I said "Any team that plays a 1-AA team loses the right to bitch about getting left out of the national title game when two other teams didn't play a 1-AA team."

in 2008, I say "**** it, we lost a game AND we played a 1-AA team. If we get in, great. If we don't get in, well, shouldn't have lost a game or scheduled the Mocs."

vigilantesooner
11/28/2008, 03:00 PM
Texas sucks, OU is awesome, Texas never has a better case than OU because of that. I will laugh in their faces if we get in over them.

I am disappointed at the lack of rivalry hate shown in this thread. Therefore I will pick up the slack for everybody else. I hope Texas does deserve it more then we do, it'll be that much sweeter if we get it. "Mmm, let me taste your tears, Texas. Mmm, your tears are so sweet and yummy!"

msooner
11/28/2008, 03:20 PM
And Texass still SUCKS!

leavingthezoo
11/28/2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah. I'm fine with wherever OU goes. If they get to the MNC, then... good for them for overcoming a loss to Texas. If they don't get to the MNC, then... good for them for bringing it the rest of the season after losing to Texas.

I am not fine with Texas bitching that a head to head win against OU should be the only mitigating factor and a head to head loss to Tech should be a forgotten loss. That is stupid.

Half a Hundred
11/28/2008, 03:35 PM
In 2003, I said "Any team that loses a game loses the right to bitch about getting left out of the national title game."

In 2004, I said "Any team that plays a 1-AA team loses the right to bitch about getting left out of the national title game when two other teams didn't play a 1-AA team."

in 2008, I say "**** it, we lost a game AND we played a 1-AA team. If we get in, great. If we don't get in, well, shouldn't have lost a game or scheduled the Mocs."

I'd agree IF we had played UT-Chatt for any reason other than absolute necessity at the last minute.

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2008, 03:41 PM
I'd agree IF we had played UT-Chatt for any reason other than absolute necessity at the last minute.

What's good for the goose is sauce for the gander.

The only reason Auburn played the Citadel in 2004 is because a team cancelled on them to play us.

Half a Hundred
11/28/2008, 03:57 PM
What's good for the goose is sauce for the gander.

The only reason Auburn played the Citadel in 2004 is because a team cancelled on them to play us.

Which wasn't the total reason for their snubbing. Playing La. Tech and UL-Monroe for the rest of the Non-Con had a lot to do with it as well. Cincy and TCU are much better opponents than those two teams, and UW is at least a BCS team from an ostensibly legitimate conference (though I think TCU's Mountain West is of greater legitimacy this year).

Once again, it's never as simple as a single argument. There's a world of factors that go into the decision.

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2008, 04:08 PM
I agree. There's plenty of factors that go into it.

However, I still maintain that if you lose a game or play a 1-aa team, you lose the right to complain.

And while Auburn's OOC was pretty weak, had they replaced the Citadel with the team we played, the computers would have pushed them ahead of us. Who was it, MTSU?

PLaw
11/28/2008, 04:16 PM

Florida loses to FSU
Alabama loses to Florida
OU demolishes BlOwSU
OU beats Missouri

It could happen!

OU wins 55-21

OR . . .
Florida loses to FSU
Alabama loses to Florida
OU demolishes BlOwSU
texass edges OU to play in the CCG

Then,
texass wins and texass and OU finish 1 / 2 in the BCS

or

texass loses and OU / USC finish 1 / 2 in the BCS

Regardless, the point is if UF trips against fsu and then beats bama - it could still roll in OU's way.

BOOMER

Cam
11/28/2008, 05:27 PM
I can see both sides of it an won't be pissed either way. I'll be disappointed if OU doesn't get the nod, but I'll get over it rather quickly.

oubose
11/28/2008, 06:47 PM
what ever happend to losing in early season you would be better off, but not in this case if texas gets the go ahead.This is bullsh*t. We need a impressive win in stoolwater on sat.

msooner
11/29/2008, 11:24 AM
I will go along with that.

StoopTroup
11/29/2008, 11:27 AM
TEXAS CASE

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/gotta-go-briefcase.jpg

noobalicious
11/29/2008, 12:23 PM
Whoever said "think of it without score margin and with the team names erased" has a good strategy of thinking of this situation.

Team A beats Team B.
Team B beats Team C.
Team C beats Team A.

Team A deserves to play for the conference championship because they beat Team B.

That's complete garbage and it ignores basically every other factor in play (strength of schedule, number of non-common ranked opponents played, road victories, blah blah blah). Texas just wants us to completely forget about Tech. If they're so irrelevant they must be a really crappy team, which means the quality of our loss was better...and therefore we deserve to go.

They also try to argue that it was a miracle Tech won. No. It was a miracle Texas caught up in that game. Tech dominated. Texas was lucky.

And arguing that 39-33 game was a fluke? I argue the RRS was a fluke. We have won every other game handily. The Kansas game looked closer because they got a TD in garbage time, otherwise we basically double them up.

IMO they have a terrible argument because they want to turn a 3-way tie into a 2-way tie, and the only way that happens is if Baylor wins.

okiewaker
11/29/2008, 12:29 PM
I know tech got pounded but my tiny little brain thinks they have alittle argument here as well. They are not in any discussions anywhere. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in.

SoonerBacker
11/29/2008, 12:37 PM
I know tech got pounded but my tiny little brain thinks they have alittle argument here as well. They are not in any discussions anywhere. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in.

That's because they lost late in the season.

Oh, wait! That's irrelevant.....:rolleyes: