PDA

View Full Version : It's not a rivalry...

44BluesExplosion
11/27/2008, 09:32 PM
My "prime" with Oklahoma football was in the 80's. My pops was the doc and that gave me the opportunity to meet a lot of the players and see things from a different perspective. Back then, the OSU game was no different than the KU game or the ISU game or the MU game or... You follow me... It was no rivaly... OSU was just another door mat to wipe our feet on our way to the Orange Bowl with.

Even in '84 when OSU was decent (think they were #3 in the country when we played them?) it wasn't really touted as a rivalry. It was just another game against a decent team.

And I'm left wondering when this turned into a rivalry... and why? The media named it the "Bedlam Series" and I guess the fans followed? Is that possible? Is the Bedlam game a modern invention created for hype and therefor, money?

I guess I need someone to explain to me how a series with a 79-16 record can be considered even remotely serious...

To me, we have two rivals... Texas and Nebraska... OSU is just a door mat - I don't hate em, love em... or even consider them.

okiewaker
11/27/2008, 09:36 PM
You said it, MEDIA.

OKLA21FAN
11/27/2008, 09:38 PM
it was a 'rivalry' in Norman in 2003

funny how lossing a couple of games in a row can do that. :rolleyes:

Cam
11/27/2008, 09:39 PM
It's really only a rivalry in payne county IMO.

bri
11/27/2008, 09:40 PM
It wasn't the media so much as aggy constantly trying to elevate themselves to the "rival" status and Bank of Oklahoma coming along with their stupid f*cking bell to indulge them. As soon as a trophy came into play, that's all it took.

Oh, and when it actually became competitive. At least, more competitive than it has been. :D

Kray
11/27/2008, 09:42 PM
it was a 'rivalry' in Norman in 2003

funny how lossing a couple of games in a row can do that. :rolleyes:

I've always thought it was only fans who think it isn't a rivalry. Does anyone seriously believe that the OSU game isn't bigger to players and coaches than Kansas or Iowa State? Everything I have read or heard contradicts that. It's not on the level of our Texas rivalry, but it's not just another game.

okiewaker
11/27/2008, 09:48 PM
It wasn't the media so much as aggy constantly trying to elevate themselves to the "rival" status and Bank of Oklahoma coming along with their stupid f*cking bell to indulge them. As soon as a trophy came into play, that's all it took.

Oh, and when it actually became competitive. At least, more competitive than it has been. :D

Aha. So it was the BOK that made it a rivalry. I hope the Peoples new pres don't skip them if they need some assistance. :D

AlbqSooner
11/27/2008, 09:50 PM
The Bell was around before BOK was around. It is actually the CLAPPER from the bell. Seems some OU fans, might have been, and probably was the RufNex, stole the clapper from the Bell on the osu Student Union. Said they would give it back when the pokies won a game against OU. That win occurred in 1965. My parents were driving out of Norman behind a rust bucket mid 50s Ford with a bunch of aggots in it. They had the bell clapper and were leaning out the window smashing it into their own car. Aggiesque indeed. Anywho, that "tradition" has been around since they were Oklahoma A&M.

Rogue
11/27/2008, 09:53 PM
I don't consider oSu a big rival.
Texas - yes
Nebraska - yes

oubose
11/27/2008, 10:49 PM
OU-osu rival good question. It has to be, its a PRIDE thing, something sheep herders don't have. Theres only 1 Oklahoma Football team. GO SOONERS!!!

huskermark07
11/27/2008, 11:12 PM
My "prime" with Oklahoma football was in the 80's. My pops was the doc and that gave me the opportunity to meet a lot of the players and see things from a different perspective. Back then, the OSU game was no different than the KU game or the ISU game or the MU game or... You follow me... It was no rivaly... OSU was just another door mat to wipe our feet on our way to the Orange Bowl with.

Even in '84 when OSU was decent (think they were #3 in the country when we played them?) it wasn't really touted as a rivalry. It was just another game against a decent team.

And I'm left wondering when this turned into a rivalry... and why? The media named it the "OU-OSU Series" and I guess the fans followed? Is that possible? Is the OU-OSU game a modern invention created for hype and therefor, money?

I guess I need someone to explain to me how a series with a 79-16 record can be considered even remotely serious...

To me, we have two rivals... Texas and Nebraska... OSU is just a door mat - I don't hate em, love em... or even consider them.

To me it is still OU and NU, you can put Texas in there if you want but in NO way is OkieLite your rival.

44BluesExplosion
11/27/2008, 11:29 PM
Hummm... the word "bedlam" was edited from my post...

Sirus
11/27/2008, 11:32 PM
I was just on whornsfan site and i came across this gem:

whornfan:
" and we beat ALL 3 of our rivals....great season....I want more....this team is not done yet. "

anon post reply:

"Tech?"

LMAO!

vigilantesooner
11/27/2008, 11:46 PM
I think it officially became a rivalry when OSU shoved this last game of the season business down our throats. Now we need to add a steady stream of road smackdowns to go along with our winning streak to make OSU realize that they're still nowhere near the level team it takes to be in a rivalry with Oklahoma.

Bring back the OU/Nebraska rivalry. The Big 12 ruined a great rivalry and at the same time brought Baylor into the league, both of those are unforgivable.

bri
11/27/2008, 11:48 PM
Hummm... the word "OU-OSU" was edited from my post...

It's a board feature. We hate the "B-word". :D