PDA

View Full Version : How do you think we match up against Purdue?

IronHorseSooner
11/27/2008, 08:39 AM
This would make the sixth out of six games where we will play a team that runs around on the perimeter and jacks up threes. Once again, they will have no answer for Blake (but, who does?). It will come down to hitting out threes (see Cade and Tony) and playing outside-in on their shooters. Games like these are great prep for teams like UTerus and Baylor who are more perimeter oriented teams.

ouwapiti
11/27/2008, 12:32 PM
watched last nights game against uab......best overall game i've seen outta OU in a while.......thank god though for my homie cade....because crocker and johnson 'couldnt throw it in the ocean'......this season should be very interesting with the women and men being contenders!!!!!!BOOMER SOONER !!!!!!!

OUstud
11/27/2008, 01:22 PM
watched last nights game against uab......best overall game i've seen outta OU in a while.......thank god though for my homie cade....because crocker and johnson 'couldnt throw it in the ocean'......this season should be very interesting with the women and men being contenders!!!!!!BOOMER SOONER !!!!!!!

I dunno about best game...maybe 2nd half. First half was kinda ugly. :gary:

Ruuuuuufus
11/27/2008, 01:44 PM
thank god though for my homie cade....because crocker and johnson 'couldnt throw it in the ocean
Cade was 4-8 from 3pt and Crocker was 4-9...

Our perimeter defense leaves much to be desired but should be something we can easily fix. If we can work to create more turnovers we should be fine.

SleestakSooner
11/27/2008, 01:48 PM
I only saw a portion of the Purdue/Boston College game last night but there was nothing all that special going on. Typical Big Ten style defense and offense. Purdue has some bigs but they didn't look very fast on their feet. BC had the size but not the talent.

With Blake we have both, so I see them trying to go inside against him a lot early. They will be hoping to put him on the bench with foul trouble. I think Blake has shown he is smarter than that. Several times in the last two games I have watched him back off when someone drives deep under the basket. This has shown me he is listening to the coach. Capel has taught him well and I will be surprised to see him foul out of any game this year.

So, I think OU has the defense to match up with PU's guards. PU will get some points in the paint but not nearly enough. They will have no answer for Blake on the other end and if they triple team him at least one of OUr guards will get hot (Davis) drowning them in a rainstorm of 3's.

Willie Warren should redeem himself after last night and score in double digits, but this time from off the bench.

IronHorseSooner
11/27/2008, 06:46 PM
Willie looked a little awestruck being a MSG, who wouldn't be. Purdue has a big, Hummel, who is Ryan Minor-like play. He's about 6'8" and more of w 3-point shooter. Crock would be a good match up for him, similar styles. They have another kid, about 6'4" who is their other scorer. We will likely run a combo of WW, AJ, and Cade at him. They have two bigs who are serviceable. One is a 6'8/6'9 string bean. The other is a European mauler type. Neither can keep up with Blake. Blake should have another showcase night. It should be a great match-up, but look for Purdue to ugly the game up a bit. Both teams have a talented young coach and could win their respective conferences.

King Crimson
11/27/2008, 06:55 PM
Cade was 4-8 from 3pt and Crocker was 4-9...

Our perimeter defense leaves much to be desired but should be something we can easily fix. If we can work to create more turnovers we should be fine.

we got 24 (12 each) from Crocker and Davis, that's not bad. we are tough to beat if we can get that night-in, night-out.

i agree about the perimeter D in the first 30 minutes. second half we played pretty tough on the D end.

Warren only played 17 minutes.

NormanPride
11/27/2008, 07:06 PM
I think Warren was a bad matchup for UAB. We needed long guys that know how to play a zone really well. Willie doesn't have the experience to play a really tight and cohesive zone, and it showed in his D in the first half.

IronHorseSooner
11/27/2008, 07:13 PM
Willie will likely benefit more from these early season games than most. He needs to see that while he is a phenom, he needs to work on his D and let the game come to him. By conference time, he will be an absolute beast. Coach might look at starting Cade and letting Willie come off the bench just calm him a bit. Some coaches do this with talented youngsters so they can get a gauge on the game. Either way, Willie will be just fine.