PDA

View Full Version : just got up

OUHOMER
11/27/2008, 05:13 AM
and stuck the bird in the oven....:D

Rogue
11/27/2008, 07:40 AM
I'm just cooking a 5.5 # breast for the little woman and myself.
It'll take 2 hours or so. Time enough to mash some taters, build a gravy, crisp up her stuffin' the way she likes it, and cream some corn. I forgot the stuff for her green bean casserole so I may be frying onions too.

Am I the only one who goes ape for those brown 'n serve rolls?
I love the little suckers.

OUHOMER
11/27/2008, 07:41 AM
Oh by the way, the clock here is off by 1 hour. glad i am not using it to time the turkey:D

1890MilesToNorman
11/27/2008, 07:44 AM
Turkey question, does 18 minutes per pound at 325 sound good? The bird is stuffed. I just need to get the timing down so I can let the bird rest for 1/2 an hour before carving.

OUHOMER
11/27/2008, 07:56 AM
I am going with 15 mins per pound at 300/325. I figured 4 hours on my 16 pound bird.

OUHOMER
11/27/2008, 07:57 AM
FYI, Mine is not stuffed.....

OUHOMER
11/27/2008, 08:03 AM

Me too, hell I could eat them everyday. Funny thing is there so easy to make, just pop them in the oven for a few minutes. Seems like we would have them more often:(

1890MilesToNorman
11/27/2008, 08:07 AM
I am going with 15 mins per pound at 300/325. I figured 4 hours on my 16 pound bird.

Sounds good, mine is stuffed so I think I'm on the right track.

OUHOMER
11/27/2008, 08:13 AM
Sounds good, mine is stuffed so I think I'm on the right track.

Sounds right, You know i have to test it too :D

I am a professional food tester ya know.;)

1890MilesToNorman
11/27/2008, 08:22 AM
Sounds right, You know i have to test it too :D

I am a professional food tester ya know.;)

I was only expecting 3 people at first, now I have 8 with only a 12 # bird. If theres any left over I mail you a taste. :D

OUHOMER
11/27/2008, 08:33 AM
we have a house full coming, never know how many are going to show up. We have the 16# bird, 1 big *** ham, every fixen you can have. The pies are already lined up, except for the ones in the icebox.

DAMN i am hungry now.

King Crimson
11/27/2008, 08:59 AM
DAMN i am hungry now.

heh. my standard procedure since i don't usually see the family at T-giving is to roast half a turkey in my Romertopf terracotta clay oven (below) with sliced granny smith apples, sweet italian sausage, red potatoes, onions, cherry peppers, rosemary and white wine.

http://fantes.com/images/Romertopf3942.jpg

i use the turkey leftovers for the obligatory sammies and usually once to make turkey mole enchiladas with tomatillo sauce for asskicking the Pokes.

good on all y'all seeing your family today.

1890MilesToNorman
11/27/2008, 09:10 AM
I'm 5 hours away from eating but my mouth is watering right now. If you guys continue to post these awesome food things in here I don't think I'm gonna make it. Damn you all! :P

OUHOMER
11/27/2008, 09:25 AM
Just the smell is killing me, The wife and my mom are in the kitchen making more stuff. When I go in they keep running me out.... They are cruel, I tell ya...

Rogue
11/27/2008, 10:57 AM
heh. my standard procedure since i don't usually see the family at T-giving is to roast half a turkey in my Romertopf terracotta clay oven (below) with sliced granny smith apples, sweet italian sausage, red potatoes, onions, cherry peppers, rosemary and white wine.

i use the turkey leftovers for the obligatory sammies and usually once to make turkey mole enchiladas with tomatillo sauce for asskicking the Pokes.

good on all y'all seeing your family today.

OMG, all of it sounds good enough to make a monkey slap his mother! :eek:

Rogue
11/27/2008, 10:58 AM
I got it all rolling...Mrs. Rogue is smashing some taters now.
Somehow I'm missing cranberry sauce. My afternoon sammich won't be the same, but I'll make-do.

Something I learned this year....Sweet Potato Pie > Punkin' Pie

OUHOMER
11/27/2008, 11:08 AM
Somehow I'm missing cranberry sauce. My afternoon sammich won't be the same, but I'll make-do.

I went back to the store yesterday just to get a can of cranberry sauce.
OH and pies, did you mention pies, we have on tap

Pumkin, sweet potato, chocolate , pecan, some kind of cheese cake with blueberry topping and whip cream.

Oh hell I am in trouble today folks, bad trouble:O

soonersweetie
11/27/2008, 11:45 AM
That terracotta oven thing looks sweet. Where do you get one of those?

Rogue
11/27/2008, 12:02 PM
Just ate round 1.
I mixed turkey and brown gravies....OMG! It's like crack.

King Crimson
11/27/2008, 12:32 PM
That terracotta oven thing looks sweet. Where do you get one of those?

they are really cool, you can do a lot in them. google Romertopf. i don't know where you are sweetie but you can probably overpay for one at International Pantry in Norman.

i do this other thing where i marinate lamb shanks in red wine, garlic and rosemary for a day or two and then bake it in the Romertopf....that's good. GOOD.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/27/2008, 05:58 PM
Mmmmmm.

1st course of overturned gas tanker truck on I-44. Follow that up with crankin' out homemade coconut cream and chocolate pies, mashed taters, stuffing, and turkey drip gravy, then the closing act, Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends here in the friendly confines of the Pride of District 5, Station 25.

Zero turkey fryer fires that I've heard so far. Good job, Tulsa!

proud gonzo
11/27/2008, 06:26 PM
I'm just cooking a 5.5 # breast for the little woman and myself.
It'll take 2 hours or so. Time enough to mash some taters, build a gravy, crisp up her stuffin' the way she likes it, and cream some corn. I forgot the stuff for her green bean casserole so I may be frying onions too.

I LOVE those! The only thing that's better is my grandma's recipe for homemade rolls.

When I was a kid, my thanksgiving dinner consisted of brown 'n serve rolls and mashed potatoes, both with a lot of butter.

GottaHavePride
11/27/2008, 06:37 PM

We made our own cranberry sauce. Cranberries, oranges, pineapple, and pecans. Very good.