PDA

View Full Version : 8time's OSU breakdown

8timechamps
11/26/2008, 07:50 PM
I know a lot of you are familiar with the Cowboys, but a lot of us live out of state and know very little. So, I present to you:

8timechamp’s breakdown and Matchup for this weekend’s OU-OSU game.

Oklahoma State
Overall record: 9-2 (losses to Texas & Texas Tech)
Big XII record: 5-2

Closest game: 28-24 @ Texas (L), 28-23 @ Missouri (W)
Ranked Opponents: Missouri (W), Texas (L), Texas Tech (L)

Offense

Rushing
National Rank: 8 (OU’s rushing defense: 12)
Conference Rank: 1 (OU’s rushing defense: 2)

The strength of this year’s Cowboy team is their rushing game. Kendall Hunter leads the rushing attack for the Cowboys. Hunter ranks 5th in the country in rushing, and is a shifty back with good speed. Hunter is a smaller back (5’ 8”, 190) that has great hands out of the backfield. Hunter will line up in the shotgun and work across the middle attacking the oppositions LB corp. Hunter will be a match all day for Box and Lewis.

Receiving
National Rank: 48 (OU’s passing defense: 97)
Conference Rank: 10 (OU’s passing defense: 4)

Like Tech’s Crabtree, everyone knows about OSU’s Bryant. The only difference is Crabtree is a soph, and Bryant is a freshman. Oh, and Crabtree is better. However, Bryant is a big-time receiver with tons of talent. Ask any poke fan and they’ll tell you that their other receivers (Pettigrew and Davis) are also big threats. The truth is, they aren’t. Bryant accounts for 48% of their receiving yards (the remaining 52% is spread among 13 players) and a whopping 75% of their receiving TDs.

I think Nic Harris is going to play at the same level he played last Saturday to keep Bryant in check. With Bryant being almost Crabtree’s physical twin (at 6’2”, 210), he will be familiar with the ability and size Bryant brings to the table.

QB/O-Line
The poke’s Zac Robinson isn’t going to set any passing records, but his is mobile. Unlike Tech, the Sooners will have to watch his ability to pull the ball down and run. Also unlike Tech, who had only given up 6 sacks before Saturday’s game, the Cowboy’s O-Line has allowed Robinson to be sacked 12 times this season.

The Sooners will be facing yet another great O-line Saturday. The Cowboys offensive line consist of all returning players. I’ve heard a couple of times this week that the pokes offensive line will be the best the Sooners have faced all year. Could be more “talk”, or it could be the reason Kendall has been so successful on the ground for the Cowboys.

Defense

2008 Defensive Rankings

Rushing Defense:
National Ranking: 28 (OU’s rushing offense: 20)
Conference Rankings: 6 (OU’s rushing offense: 2)

Passing Defense:
National Ranking: 105 (OU’s passing offense: 3)
Conference Ranking: 6 (OU’s passing offense: 2)

One of Oklahoma State’s defensive weakness is their secondary, which is odd given that the entire secondary is filled with upperclassmen. None of the Cowboys secondary ranks in the NCAA top 100 for interceptions (the Sooners have 3 players; Lewis 4, Holmes & Franks). Don’t be fooled though. The Cowboys best pass defender is Jacob Lacey. Lacey ranks 14th in the country with 14 passes defended.

Defensive back, Andre Sexton, leads the team in tackles, which should tell you volumes about the Cowboys defensive front and linebackers. OSU ranks 102 in the country in sacks (averaging about one per game), so Sam should have plenty of time to throw. If the Cowboys want to bring more pressure with the linebackers, it will open up the underneath screen pass and the crossing routes that have been the Sooners bread and butter this season. Which, in turn, could make for a long day for the pokes.

All in all, there is no standout star for the Cowboys on defense. Given their performance to date this season, the Cowboys have played well enough to win against poor and average teams, and decent against above average and good teams. The downside for the Cowboys is that they struggle defending the pass, which could result in the Sooners flexing their offensive line muscles to run the ball early and often against the pokes.

Matchup

Running Backs: Oklahoma State (Although the Sooners have great backs in Murray and Brown, the Cowboys Kendall is one of the nations best).

Receivers: Oklahoma (Sure, the Cowboys have Dez Bryant, but that’s about it. The Sooners have solid threats across the board in the receiving corp. Arguably the best group of receivers in the country)

Quarterbacks: Oklahoma (While Zac Robinson can be trusted to drive the car without wrecking, his only real threat is his ability to run. Bradford, on the other hand, is…well, Bradford)

Defensive Line: Oklahoma (OUs front four have stepped up their focus and intensity over the past four or five games. No question they outplay the Cowboys defensive line)

Linebackers: Oklahoma (The upstart Box and Lewis lead a solid group that plays at a different level than the Cowboys LBs)

Secondary: Oklahoma (With the exception of Jacob Lacey, there isn’t a DB playing at OSU that could start over any DB at OU)

Special Teams: Oklahoma State (OSU ranks #2 in the country in net punting and punt returns. Another of the Sooners big focuses needs to be on special teams this week)

In the end, this comes down to defense (again), where OU holds a big advantage. Given that it’s a home game for the Cowboys, a rivalry game, and that the Cowboys know they can ruin OUs hopes for a Bog XII and National Title with a win, my score prediction is:

Oklahoma: 49
Oklahoma State: 41

vigilantesooner
11/26/2008, 08:00 PM
Really good breakdown. Personally I think OU now has the edge in the running game, Demarco has elevated himself to phenomenal since Texas, and Chris Brown and Madu provide enough skill to force OSU to respect the run no matter who's in the backfield.

8timechamps
11/26/2008, 08:02 PM
Really good breakdown. Personally I think OU now has the edge in the running game, Demarco has elevated himself to phenomenal since Texas, and Chris Brown and Madu provide enough skill to force OSU to respect the run no matter who's in the backfield.

I could very easily picked us for every catagory except special teams. I have seen Kendall run, and while Murray is having his coming out party (finally), Kendall is a great back.

cvsooner
11/26/2008, 08:02 PM
Isn't Crabtree a soph?

8timechamps
11/26/2008, 08:03 PM
Isn't Crabtree a soph?

Yep. Good catch.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/26/2008, 08:07 PM
Bryant is also a Soph.

Frozen Sooner
11/26/2008, 08:09 PM
I don't think Harris was matched up on Crabtree last weekend. If I remember right, depending on what side of the field he was on either Jackson or Franks was picking Crabtree up.

If we man Harris on Bryant, we're in for a long day. No knock on Harris, you just can't expect a big strong safety to match up on an explosive receiver.

cvsooner
11/26/2008, 08:11 PM
Good breakdown. I do think Pettigrew is a threat, especially over the middle where we've had trouble. Prob. the best tight end we'll definitely see (assuming we don't make it to KC to face Coffman again).

I just don't see OSewe scoring 42 points on us...or rather, us giving up 42. 21, yeah, but not 42. They could, certainly, and Bryant could give us fits, but I really see our D matching up their O quite nicely. I do see their D matching up better to our O than most teams have. I think that will hold us down, some...to, say, 42. Special teams they probably do have the edge, but the nice thing about the past two weeks is prepping for Tech had to have been good practice for getting ready for OSewe...and frankly, Mizzou, as well.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I could pick OU as better or at least equal in all categories. I also think Pettigrew needs to be a factor to keep them in the game. He's not the big play threat, but really helps them move the sticks. I don't think their superior punt game will come into play as I don't see OU punting much. And if they punt a lot, so be it. :)

How is OSU's offense on turnovers?

sooner2b09
11/26/2008, 08:49 PM
Crabtree is a Redshirt Sophmore. And last year if i remember correctly his dad said he would come out and enter the draft.

cvsooner
11/26/2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I could pick OU as better or at least equal in all categories. I also think Pettigrew needs to be a factor to keep them in the game. He's not the big play threat, but really helps them move the sticks. I don't think their superior punt game will come into play as I don't see OU punting much. And if they punt a lot, so be it. :)

How is OSU's offense on turnovers?

Bryant may be better than any single receiver we've got, but as a group, we're better. They definitely have a better punter. Fodge is a Ray Guy finalist. I hope we get to see him in action a lot.

Blues1
11/26/2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks for Great Break down - Being out State that was very good info for us..

Your "The Man"

Keep Rockin'

BoulderSooner79
11/27/2008, 12:49 AM
I looked up the turnover margin and OU is tied with Florida for #1 at +18.
OSU is pretty solid at #24 with +7. So on average, OU gets an extra net
turnover per game than OSU. I think the advantage may be a bit better than
the average since OU seems to be forcing more of takeaways in recent games,
but I don't know OSU's distribution. Of course average doesn't matter, just
what happens Saturday. But if OU just matches OSU in turnovers, I think they will be fine.

OUHOMER
11/27/2008, 06:06 AM
Good break down, Special teams scare me more than anything. But our defense has shown they can step it up. We left TT with great field position all night.

Our guys are used to playing in big games,but I think the home field advantage is my biggest concern.

We will score no doubt, we get a few stops , keep turn overs down, we will win.

swardboy
11/27/2008, 06:58 AM
The development of our running game of late has brought a dynamic that was missing earlier in the year. I hope the trend continues because it makes us almost unstoppable.

....and just put every kickoff out of bounds.....

BoulderSooner79
11/27/2008, 11:04 AM
The development of our running game of late has brought a dynamic that was missing earlier in the year. I hope the trend continues because it makes us almost unstoppable.

....and just put every kickoff out of bounds.....

Almost all our kick-offs were better than kicking it out of bounds against Tech.
And we were *forced* to kick-off 11 times :D

Leroy Lizard
11/27/2008, 11:57 AM
How is OSU in returning kickoffs? That may be the key stat.

JLEW1818
11/27/2008, 01:31 PM
We shut Crab out, We will be okay!

SoonR4Life
11/27/2008, 01:33 PM

OSU is ranked nationally #2 in punt returns and #15 in kickoff returns

BoulderSooner79
11/27/2008, 01:35 PM

How many times they return kicks will be the key stat.

JLEW1818
11/27/2008, 01:35 PM
To hot right now, we will be okay on special teams.