PDA

View Full Version : WTF????????

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/26/2008, 05:12 PM
http://www.newsok.com/ut-fans-planning-flyover-during-OU-OSU/article/3325441?custom_click=lead_story_title

Texas students and fans are planning a high-profile campaign to remind BCS voters about the Longhorns’ 45-35 victory over Oklahoma earlier this season.

Texas fans celebrate during the Longhorns 45-35 win over OU Oct. 11. Photo by Chris Landsberger

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, a war chest of at least $4,500 has been raised, part of which will pay for a pilot to fly over Stillwater with a pro-Longhorns banner during Saturday’s live telecast of ESPN College GameDay, prior to OU’s game at No. 12 Oklahoma State.

The remaining money will be spent on printing 20,000 “45-35” signs for fans to hold up during Thursday’s Texas-Texas A&M game.

The Daily Texan, the University of Texas student newspaper, is also printing a full-page “45-35” ad, which will be distributed before Thursday’s game as well.

Texas fans began their campaign by organizing a Facebook group, which has ballooned to more than 7,000 members, the Star-Telegram reported.

The BCS ranks of Texas and OU will be significant Sunday, since both are in a three-way tie with Texas Tech. If all three teams win this weekend, the team rated highest in the BCS will play for the Big 12 Championship.

This week, Texas is No. 2 and Oklahoma is No. 3, but many BCS prognosticators are predicting the Sooners will jump past Texas to No. 2 with a victory over OSU.

SoonerBacker
11/26/2008, 05:17 PM
So much for the "magnanimous and gracious" attitudes of Hook em fans!

soonersweetie
11/26/2008, 05:17 PM
they really are a sad bunch, aren't they?

Widescreen
11/26/2008, 05:18 PM
Raise you hand if you think this will change any votes.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/26/2008, 05:20 PM
Raise you hand if you think this will change any votes.

*crickets*

At least the economy seems to be good in Austin to waste that much money on something stupid!

1890MilesToNorman
11/26/2008, 05:21 PM
If you can't dazzle them with brilliants, baffle them with bullsh!t.

Just Whorns being Whorns.

Harry Beanbag
11/26/2008, 05:21 PM
That would be awesome if Longhorn Bob was raising the money and doing the planning. :D

SoonerBacker
11/26/2008, 05:22 PM
What would really make this "priceless" is if aTm should pull another miracle and beat them Thursday. I don't expect that will happen, but it would be funny as hell!

MojoRisen
11/26/2008, 05:25 PM
I hope it kind of works against them and people start openly saying that Texas lost too Texas Tech 3 weeks ago... We crushed Tech

Thanks for playing

Widescreen
11/26/2008, 05:27 PM
That would be awesome if Longhorn Bob was raising the money and doing the planning. :D

Wouldn't it? Talk about a blast from the past.

Sooner4FCD
11/26/2008, 05:28 PM
In a time of giving, Whorn fans spend thousands of dollars on signs for a game that no one is going to watch. What is this world coming to?

Bccajun
11/26/2008, 05:34 PM
This would a really good waste of money if Aggies beat them Thursday. :-)

Partial Qualifier
11/26/2008, 05:38 PM
Trying to sway the coaches and Harris voters with gameday signs and a flyover banner.... brilliant! Whine 'em into submission, yeah!!

TexasEx4OU
11/26/2008, 05:41 PM
I'm no expert in the world of "flyover banners", and perhaps someone on here from the aviation signage industry can shed some light (no pun intended) on this issue, but won't it be dark at kickoff? And won't that make it very difficult for people (and ABC cameras) to even see the sign? Just askin'...

SoonerBacker
11/26/2008, 05:47 PM
I was thinking that, too. Then I took another look at the post and saw that they intend the flyovers to be during College Gameday. 9:00 am to 11:00am.

oumartin
11/26/2008, 05:51 PM
what will be even funnier is if OSU wins and knocks Texas from the debate of winning the south anyhow. good times

nytehorn
11/26/2008, 06:01 PM
I want to say "WTF?" to oumartin!!! You want OSU to beat OU, eliminating them from MNC and BCS games, just to shut Texas up?????

oumartin
11/26/2008, 06:02 PM
sarcasm.

sheesh

Curly Bill
11/26/2008, 06:06 PM
sarcasm.

sheesh

Some peeps just can't recognize sarcasm without the ;) .

I on the other hand, was with ya all the way. :D

nytehorn
11/26/2008, 06:07 PM
not sarcasm...maybe I am misinterpreting your post.

OKLA21FAN
11/26/2008, 06:08 PM
sarcasm.

sheesh

:pop:

nytehorn
OK....a little slow on the down low....got it! ;)

oumartin
I find it sad that a pilot in stoolwater will actually fly the banner. Obviously the pilot and these texas fans don't give OSU a chance of winning.

thanks CB.. guess some people just aren't on our level :)

8timechamps
11/26/2008, 06:09 PM
As has been stated, a Texas A&M victory might just be the best thing that happens during my lifetime.

Can you have a heart attack from laughing to hard?

Curly Bill
11/26/2008, 06:10 PM
I find it sad that a pilot in stoolwater will actually fly the banner. Obviously the pilot and these texas fans don't give OSU a chance of winning.

thanks CB.. guess some people just aren't on our level :)

Very few are, very few...

8timechamps
11/26/2008, 06:11 PM

It's not like Norman. People in stoolwater don't care enough to go to the games. In fact, the toothless pilot probably doesn't even realize what he'd be doing.

1890MilesToNorman
11/26/2008, 06:13 PM
It's not like Norman. People in stoolwater don't care enough to go to the games. In fact, the toothless pilot probably doesn't even realize what he'd be doing.

Crop dusting, now there's an idea?

OKLA21FAN
11/26/2008, 06:17 PM
Crop dusting, now there's an idea?

i nominate Russell Casse
http://content7.flixster.com/question/36/34/02/3634029_std.jpg

1890MilesToNorman
11/26/2008, 06:19 PM
i nominate Russell Cates
http://content7.flixster.com/question/36/34/02/3634029_std.jpg

He's one fine pilot. :D

StoopTroup
11/26/2008, 06:22 PM
Howdy Ya'll...We're Texas! We'd like to tell you about our win over The Oklahoma Sooners back in early October. We know the rest of you are a small minded forgetful bunch so we thought we'd just remind you of what a great quality win that was for us and how insignificant this here game on (PRIME TIME NATIONAL ****ING) TV is to the grand scheme of putting the hottest Team in America into the National Championship. Now don't forget you dumbasses! We beat The Oklahoma Sooners by 10 points. Thanks you all are a mighty fine bunch. Sincerely, Texas

Do I have it right?

I'm thinking I do. :D

OUHOMER
11/26/2008, 06:24 PM
funny if somebody could switch the banner to texas sucks

soonermeteor
11/26/2008, 06:42 PM
This is so sad. Not only is it a complete waste of money, but I think most people outside of Texas will see this as a sorry b*tchfest by a bunch of sore losers. I really hope karma kicks them in the a$$ Thursday night.

My IQ drops everytime I see something related to this being a "head to head" debate. Do they not realize theyll have to have a selective memory drop again if we were to lose to either OSU or Mizzou? That would leave them with a head to head vs. tech; a true head to head because we would have two losses and be officially out, not conveniently forgotten like Tech.

cvsooner
11/26/2008, 08:14 PM
My earlier post noted he couldn't fly over a stadium at night. I missed the part that they're flying over GameDay in the morning. My bad.

A Sooner in Texas
11/26/2008, 08:25 PM
This will come back to bite them in the azz. Crybabies.

cvsooner
11/26/2008, 08:37 PM
That ain't the worst. There's a website, too:

http://www.45-35.com/Texas_45_-_35_OU.html

cvsooner
11/26/2008, 08:39 PM
Of course, these are the same people who celebrate the "victory" at the Alamo. You know, those brave guys who were fighting for the freedom to own slaves.

bluedogok
11/26/2008, 09:04 PM
There aren't THAT many "Native Texans" who know anything about The Alamo, most probably know that Ozzy pissed on it more than the history of it.

oudivesherpa
11/26/2008, 09:15 PM
Why not have the Oklahoma Air National Guard intercept the plane (for National Security Reasons) and threat to shoot it down if it doesn't return to Texasss. Or have the OU Avaition Department engage the Texasss Flight In a dog fight--I'm sure the Texas group doesn't have the necessary permits.

soonermeteor
11/26/2008, 09:16 PM
Did anyone check out their ACC and SEC tiebreaker links? If I went through it correctly it would still come down to the BCS ranking. Emphasis on "if" :O

SEC:
http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=46

ACC:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082105aad.html

Hot Rod
11/26/2008, 09:24 PM
If OU wins, this is going to be like those movies where you know a good guy dies, and you don't really care, the plot moves on.

Hot Rod
11/26/2008, 09:26 PM
Texass fans: "I'm sorry we can't afford Christmas this year, we have to provide for a 10 point victory fund. It'll be worth one day, you'll see! We'll let it ring from Paris to Hong Kong and the whole world we feel our sympathy!"

Iam4OUru
11/26/2008, 09:30 PM
I'm no expert in the world of "flyover banners", and perhaps someone on here from the aviation signage industry can shed some light (no pun intended) on this issue, but won't it be dark at kickoff? And won't that make it very difficult for people (and ABC cameras) to even see the sign? Just askin'...

If OU really lights up the scoreboard.....maybe you'll be able to see it. :P

OK2LA
11/26/2008, 09:32 PM
If OU wins, this is going to be like those movies where you know a good guy dies, and you don't really care, the plot moves on.

I thought we were the good guys . . .

Although, with that game I saw last Saturday - I saw a lot of . . .

dare I say . . . .

schwagger

Bad Guys?

I'm down.

Hot Rod
11/26/2008, 09:43 PM
I thought we were the good guys . . .

Although, with that game I saw last Saturday - I saw a lot of . . .

dare I say . . . .

schwagger

Bad Guys?

I'm down.

Just sayin' when we go to KC, all of their effort will be in vain. ESPN will feel good about their stupidity and effort and won't miss it when it all dies and goes away.

rainiersooner
11/26/2008, 09:51 PM
F Texas. That's all I've got to say.

batonrougesooner
11/26/2008, 09:53 PM
I think a banner that read 39-33 would be more appropriate.

MamaMia
11/26/2008, 10:05 PM
Raise you hand if you think this will change any votes. It will probably make any voter with even an ounce of class vote against them for being whiners.

oubose
11/26/2008, 10:14 PM
I don't know if a texas fan really understands anything, I have a guy I deal with everyday and all he wants to do is talk sh*t about the loss we suffered to texas. I brought up the 39-33 loss to TT they had and h*ll it went right over his head, the 7 National Championships we won vs. there 4 and sh*t it still isn't click'n. He lives right behind my girlfriend and is start'n sh*t with her about OU/texas, I think all I have left is to kick the sh*t out of him OU style. Any suggestions?

Lets remember when we talk about saturdays game don't say if we beat sou, lossing is not a option at this point. Yes we all know texas sucks and sou swallows, and we win this week. GO SOONERS!!!

Dio
11/26/2008, 10:47 PM
Ask the people in Seattle how well their airplane banners helped save the Sonics.

StoopTroup
11/26/2008, 11:00 PM
wp07qFZKjSk

Jewstin
11/26/2008, 11:15 PM
The amount of ROFL coming out of Austin is at epic proportions.

This is really, really amusing! :D

bcgvh
11/27/2008, 12:14 AM
We should make signs that say "Don't forget that Tech beat Texas, and then we beat Tech by 50".

daddywarbucks
11/27/2008, 12:22 AM
You know what they say "there is no such thing as bad publicity" let the morons bring all this media attention to the big twelve..let these dipsticks spend their money to flaunt all these issues to the rest of the country...It wont end in their favor...

pott_2
11/27/2008, 12:45 AM
The philanthropic side effect to this failed publicity will be that the homeless in austin will have new roofs that read 45-35...

Sirus
11/27/2008, 03:29 AM
Maybe the whorns shoulda used that money to buy up the empty seats so they could heckle us at the game. wait, did I just give them an idea?

Sirus
11/27/2008, 03:30 AM
We should make signs that say "Don't forget that Tech beat Texas, and then we beat Tech by 50".

That would not be a good idea since we only beat them by 44. but, who's counting right.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/27/2008, 05:59 AM
WHat's sad is some cancer charity is paying $1000. to the banner thing along with another charity or non-profit apparently controlled by a long-horn geek. That's 1000 bucks not going to help a cancer patient.

Sad.

IronHorseSooner
11/27/2008, 08:26 AM
WHat's sad is some cancer charity is paying $1000. to the banner thing along with another charity or non-profit apparently controlled by a long-horn geek. That's 1000 bucks not going to help a cancer patient.

Sad.

That's the saddest part in this. This is a time of giving for those less fortunate, and that $1000 could go to chemo treatments for a sick child. That's just sickening...BTW, couldn't the Oklahoma Aviation Agency find a way to simply ground that plane? Those dumb :texan: can't figure that out. Someone from their business school sure didn't tell them about product placement. Most people outside of Texas don't know that they play A&M tonight, and most people are in a tryptophan-induced coma at that time and don't care. Also, more people will be out trying to get into the stores on the SAT morning after Thanksgiving than watching some idiot in a plane flying propaganda banners. At first, I was said WTF to this, now this just seems hilarious.

mojohornfan
11/27/2008, 08:54 AM
Texas 45
OU 35

Texas 56
Mizzou 31

An OU/Mizzou ccg?? That would be watched by millions.

Texas doesn't care about the ccg as much as the MNC, so if OSU can pull the upset, THAT would be the greatest event this football season. Or maybe, some voters change their mind this week, that would be cool also.

We'll see.

SoonerBacker
11/27/2008, 09:14 AM
OU 65
TT 21

TT 39
tu 33

This is not a 2 way tie. There are three teams involved. It would appear that Whorns cannot grasp that concept.

BTW, apparently the tu fans care more about playing in the National Title game than they do about cancer patients, too.

IronHorseSooner
11/27/2008, 09:20 AM
BTW, apparently the tu fans care more about playing in the National Title game than they do about cancer patients, too.

Not even the most diehard :texan: fan can justify that. The rest is humorous, that is wrong on just about any moral level. I'm not completely up on the function on non-profit or not-for-profit organizations, but can they even do that? I thought they had to use their donated money for their intended purposes, not campaigning for who should play in the Big XII Title Game. :hot:

mojohornfan
11/27/2008, 09:24 AM
OU 65
TT 21

TT 39
tu 33

This is not a 2 way tie. There are three teams involved. It would appear that Whorns cannot grasp that concept.

AGGYISH.
"we can't beat you, but, we beat a team that beat you so we are better than you..."
AGGYISH

Bringing up cancer patients...now thats sad. How much money has everyone put into this website and not into cancer research?
You don't have to answer that one.

kevpks
11/27/2008, 09:32 AM
The last I looked I don't have a vote in the Harris or Coach's poll, neither do I program any BCS computers. However, whether the Sooners deserve it or not, whether the Horns pay for one or one thousand planes proudly flying banners with the OU/Texas score on them (at night BTW), whether head-to-head matchups matter in a three way tie, or whether your horn myface pages or whatever it's called reach 1 million members it does not change the fact that Whorn nation gets to watch the Sooners in Kansas City if we beat OSU.

SoonerBacker
11/27/2008, 09:37 AM

Sad.

SoonerFans is not a charity dedicated to helping cancer patients.

Brining up the fact that this is a 3 way tie = Aggie-ish? Nope. Now hiring out pilots to fly banners over a game that your team is not involved in? THAT'S Aggie-ish.

IronHorseSooner
11/27/2008, 09:39 AM
Aggie-ish? Nope. Now hiring out pilots to fly banners over a game that your team is not involved in? THAT'S Aggie-ish.

Aggie-ish and just plain funny!!!! ROFLMAO

mojohornfan
11/27/2008, 09:44 AM
What's funny is that it may be all up to Mack Brown...

http://bcsguru.blogspot.com/2008/11/eyes-of-bcs-are-upon-mack-brown.html

SoonerBacker
11/27/2008, 09:46 AM

Already posted and discussed. :pop: Check out that thread for comments about the article.
Keep up, Whorn fans. Keep up!

oubose
11/27/2008, 09:50 AM
orange and burnt orange don't look good with anything, clothes, cars, football, and national championships.

IronHorseSooner
11/27/2008, 09:58 AM

This has been posted before, and generally dismissed.

#1: As much as most of us on here deride Mack, he is a good and decent guy. I doubt he really does that.

#2: He learned his lesson with the Cal fiasco, and that stunt will likely be paid back by his fellow coaches this year.

#3: Bob has a lot of people in his coaching tree with votes as well. Don't you think Mike Leach or Bo Pellini would love to drop you guys like a proverbial rock? So would Jeff Tedford, Pete Carroll, or the Ol' Ball Coach.

#4: With a ROAD win against a heated, RANKED rival would not just benefit us, but also FLA. Both are in that scenario this weekend. Both will GAIN, not lose votes. You could not just get passe by us, but the Gators as well.

#5: Voters will have to illogically reverse their votes from last week. See #4 with that.

#6: A time back, there was an article on voting irregularities with these polls. There are checks and balances in place for this. They were talking about that down here on one of the local Tampa Sports Talk stations.

#7: The Heisman effect. If Sam puts up his normal numbers on Saturday, the Heisman's his for the taking. A lot of voters would love to see a match-up between the last two Heisman winners. Folks down here in FLA already say that's what they want. They want Bradford v. Tebow.

StoopTroup
11/27/2008, 10:11 AM
Mojo...

Blow me.

Oh yeah...I forgot...

Happy Thanksgiving too numbnutz

mojohornfan
11/27/2008, 10:16 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

StoopTroup
11/27/2008, 10:23 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Nice post. :D

Jacie
11/27/2008, 11:21 AM
they really are a sad bunch, aren't they?

Texas fans = crybabies

Leroy Lizard
11/27/2008, 11:47 AM
WHat's sad is some cancer charity is paying $1000.

If true, that is really troubling. Charities are run by a board of directors, so this is more than a single person choosing football over health care.

How on Earth can a charity ask people to give when it shelled out $1000 over some stupid football matter. Boggles the mind.

jwlynn64
11/27/2008, 11:53 AM
If true, that is really troubling. Charities are run by a board of directors, so this is more than a single person choosing football over health care.

How on Earth can a charity ask people to give when it shelled out $1000 over some stupid football matter. Boggles the mind.

In all fairness, there was no credible source quoted about this. I have to put this into the category of not true until someone proves it.

SOONER STEAKER
11/27/2008, 12:04 PM
I expect aTm to run Jaworski Lane all day to eat up the clock and throw to Tannehill on 3rd and long. I do foresee UT winning but not by much.

As for the flyover, READY-AIM-FIRE. Target has been hit!!

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/27/2008, 12:13 PM
The philanthropic side effect to this failed publicity will be that the homeless in austin will have new roofs that read 45-35...

haha awesome!

Widescreen
11/27/2008, 12:15 PM
In all fairness, there was no credible source quoted about this. I have to put this into the category of not true until someone proves it.

http://newsok.com/texas-longhorns-fans-book-flyover-with-ou-score-during-bedlam/article/3325603?custom_click=lead_story_title

Of the $7,000 raised, $2,000 is being split between the V Foundation, which funds cancer research, and a University of Texas-sponsored charity.

If I had given them any money, I'd be mad, even if I was a UT fan. Those donations should be restricted to cancer research.

Flagstaffsooner
11/27/2008, 12:16 PM
"Boggie detected crossing the Red River, scramble OKANG"

Leroy Lizard
11/27/2008, 12:30 PM
If I had given them any money, I'd be mad, even if I was a UT fan. Those donations should be restricted to cancer research.

The IRS may have a say in this as well, since giving money to frivolous activities is more akin to a club, not a legitimate non-profit charity.

Paperclip
11/27/2008, 12:41 PM
I think you guys are reading this wrong. I believe it's saying $2000 is being DONATED to these two charities from the amount raised for the flyover.

Widescreen
11/27/2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah, in reading it again, you're probably right. I'm glad.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/27/2008, 01:18 PM
SoonerFans is not a charity dedicated to helping cancer patients.

Brining up the fact that this is a 3 way tie = Aggie-ish? Nope. Now hiring out pilots to fly banners over a game that your team is not involved in? THAT'S Aggie-ish.

Re-read my post, what I am saying is that it is sad that some charity is using 1000 bucks donated to them for some good work to pay for the damn plane to fly from DFW to Stoolwater to fly over the game day set...

If I had donated to that charity, I would be calling the IRS now.

Paperclip
11/27/2008, 01:28 PM
Re-read my post, what I am saying is that it is sad that some charity is using 1000 bucks donated to them for some good work to pay for the damn plane to fly from DFW to Stoolwater to fly over the game day set...

If I had donated to that charity, I would be calling the IRS now.

THA, I think this is a case of poor writing by the Oklahoman. The money is going TO the charities, not from them.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/27/2008, 06:01 PM
Well hell, that is some bad writing! It reads several times like they are spending 2K for the 7K cost of the flyover...

bcgvh
11/27/2008, 06:35 PM
The funny part is that kickoff is at 7:00 pm, long after sunset, and no one will see their flyby banner...

IronHorseSooner
11/27/2008, 06:38 PM
I think you guys are reading this wrong. I believe it's saying $2000 is being DONATED to these two charities from the amount raised for the flyover.

Bad writing= The Joklahoman

Why must they rile up us dum Hillbillies:gary:

OKLA21FAN
11/27/2008, 06:41 PM
The funny part is that kickoff is at 7:00 pm, long after sunset, and no one will see their flyby banner...

reading in fundamental. :pop:

SoonerPriv
11/27/2008, 07:23 PM

lord.. common people.. gameday starts @ 9 AM..

I hope the gameday crew sees it and makes fun of them numerous times during the telecast.. and after getting beat by aTm would be epic.. highly unlikely but would be oh so funny..

SoonerPriv
11/27/2008, 08:02 PM
well the uterus/aTm pregame started and it took them all of about 5 seconds to show one of their signs and talk about them beating OU.. probably here about it the rest of the game.. and not because of their retarded signs..